18BMW 3 Series Sedan

68% · 6723 · 23%

AndyM156
AndyM156Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC20 posts
  3 Series E90

Never buy out of warranty

I purchased a 2006 320i with 100,000km and full service history. In 14 months ownership I had multiple problems and estimate I would have spent $8,000 on services and maintenance issues including multiple oil leaks. I understand and accept that a second hand car will have faults but I have driven cars with over twice that mileage before that were a lot more reliable - I think it says a lot about BMWs build quality - the BMW specialist mechanics I took it to said this model was notorious for oil leaks. The driving experience was nothing special either. Much happier now I have got rid of it and purchased a Lexus.

Unreliable Show details

Cleanskin
Cleanskin
robinit
robinitdee why20 posts
CraigB
CraigBMelbourne3 posts

320i 2007 - don't bother

I've had a 320i Executive sedan with innovations pack since new and have had nothing but trouble. Had to replace the thermo fan at 26,000km's and now the auto transmission has failed at 57,000km's and $10k to replace! BMW Australia want nothing to do with it - clearly a known fault with the car. A luxury sedan having this many major failures = no more BMW's for me!

Too many faults and expenses just out of warranty Show details

sunvi.ahsan
sunvi.ahsan

I had exact same issue - failing at 110k. very expensive replacement. about 12k.

Oldnotdead
OldnotdeadSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts
  3 Series F30

The perfect upmarket executive vehicle

I don't about you but when I buy a new car, I want it to work in every way but also to have style and to make me feel good and everyone I get in it, and the 320d does that for me. Plenty of power with frugality thrown in, size is ideal for 2-4 people and the fact that nothing goes wrong is a real bonus for me.
Not hassles, frugal on fuel, stylish.
Initial costs maybe? Show details ·  1
Stussis Dad
Stussis DadAlice Springs8 posts

Perfect product

I bought the 320i executive new in 2008. It's just gone 4 years old and 70K and has not missed a beat, everything works as intended and still on the original battery. Great handling and nice and easy to maneuver and park around town and holds the road beautifully at high speed.

The only downside is there is no wheel well in the boot should (and I would!) you wish to change from runflat tyres to standard type tyres. The runflats are a piece of mind safety feature but wear out way to quickly (on my third set). I've had a few nice cars including Mercs, VW, BMW's, Audi but my next purchase will be another Beamer.
Equipment level, build quality, handling, fuel consumption.
I would prefer not to have runflat tyres. Show details ·  1

ReasonableMan
ReasonableManAU4 posts
Rad
RadSouthwest, VIC68 posts
moussa_t
moussa_tAU10 posts
  3 Series E36

Bad

Bought a 1993 model 318i BMW earlier this year (2010). It seemed ok when I test-drove it. But I regret buying it after having to fix a few parts on in (from normal wear and tear). Parts cost 4 or 5 times (or more) than other cars types. All the electric gadgets are starting to fail and the airconditioner doesn't work any more. In its hey-day it would have been a nice car to drive for sure. But I think these are a bit too old now. Also if you're after fuel economy and a car that's economical to run in general... avoid buying this car.
Sturdy car. Handles well on turns/unsteady conditions. Electric options. Sunroof.
Parts are way too expensive. More likely to have maintenance problems with these older models. Too sluggish. Bad fuel economy. Show details
fastred
fastred

93 model has older engine which is not as good as the updated engine in 95 model.

infinity
infinityGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC27 posts
NotAHappyCustomer
NotAHappyCustomerSouth Australia15 posts

Best car I've ever owned

I've owned a Mazda, four Audis and an HSV, and this 3 series is my favorite car of all. I was lucky enough to get a German-built version when the 2009 model first came out. No problems at all with build quality, not a single thing has gone wrong in 2 years.

I don't find the run flats to be too hard, but I came from an HSV with 19" rims, so anything was going to be softer.

320d engine has ample power and great delivery. Economy isn't flash - around town 7.5l/100km and low 6s on freeway trips, versus official combined figure of 5.4L. That's the only downside (other than purchase cost, of course).
Reliable, smooth, great build quality, good styling (with sport pack)
18" rims make for expensive tyres Show details

jinpatt
jinpattQLD, 421489 posts
  3 Series E46

Good

My boyfriend bought this car when it has done 60,000 kilometers. It was a 4 door 1998 sedan. We really loved the car and wouldn't want to sell it if it wasn't too expensive to maintain. It was a wonderful car to drive around. However, when we had to fix anything it was so dear so we went back to purchase a Toyota.
Great German luxury. Great to drive. Excellent handling. Very easy and fun to drive.
Expensive to maintain which was the main reason we sold the car. The parts are very dear. Not very good value for money. Show details
wisebuyer
wisebuyerAU5 posts
  3 Series E90

Good

My 323i M Sport is now 18 months old. Had minimal issues with it, all fixed at BMW Melbourne with no fuss at all. Have just replaced tyres with non run flats, and it makes a world of difference to noise, ride and handling. Just needed to buy the "Mobility" pump/puncture repair kit from dealer.
Great car, a pleasure to drive.
Run flat tyres, limited rear legroom Show details
GTO
macca535i3 posts
svergh
svergh3 posts
  3 Series E90

Good

I think it is an excellent car to drive. Have not had any problem with it thus far. The interiors are plush and the aircon is excellent. There is plenty of boot space. For me the real negative is the fact that the car is underpowered. There is the sports option, but it is quite noisy when you are using the sports option.
Own a 320i. Fantastic interiors. Looks great.
Underpowered. Run flat tires makes the ride a bit bumpy. Show details
Sedans

Find out how BMW 3 Series Sedan compares to other Sedans

jerryo63
jerryo63

OK

Overall a bit disappointed with the little things that have gone wrong but I guess I have a high expectation for a vehicle that cost over 100k to drive out the showroom (should last indefinitely ;-)!!! Looks and goes great when its in the mood.
2001 330i with m3 front spoiler, looks awesome, handles great, performs well, great fuel economy for a powerful motor....8.6l/100k combined town/highway.... amazing brakes
interior quality not up to BMW standards, window regulator on passenger front door has failed (common problem), brake dust on the wheels, small boot, small hard to use controls unless you are very familliar with them, no lumbar support on front seats????, has engine management hiccups (due to camshaft position sensor failure) Show details
jackfrost
jackfrost2 posts
  3 Series E46

This is an older but still beautiful car 1998 328i, and goes well, 2 door windows tension wiring broke twice but on different windows, and cost a lot to fix but I guess thats to be expected. Tried getting it serviced at the local garage a few years ago, but it wasn't happy so back to the BMW dealer again and it purrs every time it comes out of servicing, Hope it will last me forever. I think it is the best classic looking BMW series car around.

Cost of servicing Show details