BMW 3 Series Sedan

BMW 3 Series Sedan (page 4 of 5)

F30, E90, E46, etc...

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

BMW 2005 320i E90

These cars are and absolute pleasure to drive, magnificent but don't purchase one, they are a nightmare mechanically. Just ask any mechanic: water pump, radiator, cat converter, sensors, the list goes on...
Their appearance is second to none but beauty with these machines is only skin deep: I loved looking at my BMW but I was afraid to drive it anywhere.

BodySedan

You gotta do your homework

BodyWagon

BMW 3 Series E90

I bought my wife a brand new 3 series Executive, paid $65k in 2005, within 10 months the auto blew up, great under warranty, what a Nightmare of a car. Every time we took this car to BMW the minimum cost was $1000. We still have the car, the engine light comes on often, we have replaced that many Valvetronic motors, we continue to get different lights all the time. 2 weeks ago I was offered $4000 as a trade in on a Merc, the dealer apologised to me for the insult, but as he said, the 3 series was the worst car BMW have ever sold. I would agree with him 100%.
NEVER buy a BMW, this piece of ......... cost us a fortune! Not Happy :(

StickShiftNZAuckland, NZ

Of all the used cars I've owned, the one I like the most

TransmissionManual
Badge316ti
BodyCompact
Richie

RichieETTALONG BEACH

316i

Just picked up a 2013 316i very nice ex demo, I had a 320i which was traded in. The new car is a step up from my old car. Very good ride: comfort, good steering, very supportive seats, a well laid out dash and easy to read. Plenty of bells and whistles make this a good buy. Having looked at the competition I must admit I do like BMW.
Solid car great to drive
nothing yet

Never
Never
John

Johnmelbourne

Best car I had ever owned

My mother bought this car brand new, a 1993 model, I purchased it from her when I turned 18 and it proved completely reliable for 21 years. All parts and repairs are completely affordable and realistic if you can do things yourself, but we never had a single problem at 320,000 ks, no engine issues, no transmission issues.
With cars like this, they must be maintained well, an oil change is the most important thing you can do for a car, and if you buy second hand, try buying from a reputable owner. These cars were designed great, care for it and it will care for you.

A little underpowered

Badge318i
AndyM156

AndyM156Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never buy out of warranty

I purchased a 2006 320i with 100,000km and full service history. In 14 months ownership I had multiple problems and estimate I would have spent $8,000 on services and maintenance issues including multiple oil leaks. I understand and accept that a second hand car will have faults but I have driven cars with over twice that mileage before that were a lot more reliable - I think it says a lot about BMWs build quality - the BMW specialist mechanics I took it to said this model was notorious for oil leaks. The driving experience was nothing special either. Much happier now I have got rid of it and purchased a Lexus.

Unreliable

robinit

robinitdee why

The love of my life sent me broke!

Badge325Ci
BodyCoupe
CraigB

CraigBMelbourne

320i 2007 - don't bother

I've had a 320i Executive sedan with innovations pack since new and have had nothing but trouble. Had to replace the thermo fan at 26,000km's and now the auto transmission has failed at 57,000km's and $10k to replace! BMW Australia want nothing to do with it - clearly a known fault with the car. A luxury sedan having this many major failures = no more BMW's for me!

Too many faults and expenses just out of warranty

sunvi.ahsan
sunvi.ahsan

I had exact same issue - failing at 110k. very expensive replacement. about 12k.

Oldnotdead

OldnotdeadBuderim

The perfect upmarket executive vehicle

I don't about you but when I buy a new car, I want it to work in every way but also to have style and to make me feel good and everyone I get in it, and the 320d does that for me. Plenty of power with frugality thrown in, size is ideal for 2-4 people and the fact that nothing goes wrong is a real bonus for me.
Not hassles, frugal on fuel, stylish.
Initial costs maybe?

brixous
brixous
Stussis Dad

Stussis DadAlice Springs

Perfect product

I bought the 320i executive new in 2008. It's just gone 4 years old and 70K and has not missed a beat, everything works as intended and still on the original battery. Great handling and nice and easy to maneuver and park around town and holds the road beautifully at high speed.

The only downside is there is no wheel well in the boot should (and I would!) you wish to change from runflat tyres to standard type tyres. The runflats are a piece of mind safety feature but wear out way to quickly (on my third set). I've had a few nice cars including Mercs, VW, BMW's, Audi but my next purchase will be another Beamer.
Equipment level, build quality, handling, fuel consumption.
I would prefer not to have runflat tyres.

ReasonableMan

Badge330i

moussa_t

moussa_tAU

Bad

Bought a 1993 model 318i BMW earlier this year (2010). It seemed ok when I test-drove it. But I regret buying it after having to fix a few parts on in (from normal wear and tear). Parts cost 4 or 5 times (or more) than other cars types. All the electric gadgets are starting to fail and the airconditioner doesn't work any more. In its hey-day it would have been a nice car to drive for sure. But I think these are a bit too old now. Also if you're after fuel economy and a car that's economical to run in general... avoid buying this car.
Sturdy car. Handles well on turns/unsteady conditions. Electric options. Sunroof.
Parts are way too expensive. More likely to have maintenance problems with these older models. Too sluggish. Bad fuel economy.

Badge318i
fastred
fastred

93 model has older engine which is not as good as the updated engine in 95 model.

Bill Bangle

Low fuel consumption, good peformance for a 1500 kg vehicle

NotAHappyCustomer

NotAHappyCustomerAU

Best car I've ever owned

I've owned a Mazda, four Audis and an HSV, and this 3 series is my favorite car of all. I was lucky enough to get a German-built version when the 2009 model first came out. No problems at all with build quality, not a single thing has gone wrong in 2 years.

I don't find the run flats to be too hard, but I came from an HSV with 19" rims, so anything was going to be softer.

320d engine has ample power and great delivery. Economy isn't flash - around town 7.5l/100km and low 6s on freeway trips, versus official combined figure of 5.4L. That's the only downside (other than purchase cost, of course).
Reliable, smooth, great build quality, good styling (with sport pack)
18" rims make for expensive tyres

jinpatt

jinpattQLD, 4214

Good

My boyfriend bought this car when it has done 60,000 kilometers. It was a 4 door 1998 sedan. We really loved the car and wouldn't want to sell it if it wasn't too expensive to maintain. It was a wonderful car to drive around. However, when we had to fix anything it was so dear so we went back to purchase a Toyota.
Great German luxury. Great to drive. Excellent handling. Very easy and fun to drive.
Expensive to maintain which was the main reason we sold the car. The parts are very dear. Not very good value for money.

wisebuyer

wisebuyerAU

Good

My 323i M Sport is now 18 months old. Had minimal issues with it, all fixed at BMW Melbourne with no fuss at all. Have just replaced tyres with non run flats, and it makes a world of difference to noise, ride and handling. Just needed to buy the "Mobility" pump/puncture repair kit from dealer.
Great car, a pleasure to drive.
Run flat tyres, limited rear legroom

Badge323i
LineM Sport

alexander h.

alexander h.asked

3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

Are the side mirrors powered on a 318i 2004 BMW and lf so how do you engage to make them work

Muhmmd Z.

Muhmmd Z.asked

3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Hi,

I’ve bmw 320i e90 2007, the engine oil level light (yellow) went off that engine oil level is below minimum. I topped up with 1L then I checked oil level and the indicator showed that oil level is OK. One week later, engine oil light went off again, i checked oil level and indicator showed that +1L of engine oil is needed to be topped up, I did add 1L. Two weeks later, engine oil light went off again, I checked the level, it was below minimum, then I checked the oil level again just 2hours later and oil level was OK (above minimum) !!!! [There’s no any oil leak at all]. Can I please know what’s going on with engine oil in my car???!!!

Thanks!

Jez P.

Jez P.asked

3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Been thinking about getting a 2005 E90 330i, are there any particularly bad known issues with this model, engine wise (N52 engine I think) or with anything else to do with the car? Don't really want to be continually spending money on fixing it.

RW1891
RW1891

Hi Jez P, these are wonderful cars to drive. The steering feedback and the road grip of these are awesome. Some of those do suffer from coil pack issues, and injector issues. But my understanding is those are not common and rather common problem is their plastic water pumps rear with time. Check the car with a good independent bmw mechanic. That is worthy. Not buying the car because of fear of these issues at least in my view is like dumping a Victoria’s Secret model because she caught a common cold - happens sometimes, but nothing to split hair upon.

Compare all 24 BMW 3 Series
CategoryCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and Sedans
Starting Price $73,953$73,953$77,105$77,105
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption4.8 L/100km4.8 L/100km6.1 L/100km6.1 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 40 L40 L59 L59 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power140kW @ 4000rpm140kW @ 4000rpm190kW @ 5000rpm190kW @ 5000rpm
Max Torque400Nm @ 1750-2500rpm400Nm @ 1750-2500rpm400Nm @ 1550-4400rpm400Nm @ 1550-4400rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Safety Features
  • Reversing Camera
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Reversing Camera
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Extra Features
  • 360° Camera
  • 360° Camera
  • USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateMar 2019Mar 2019Mar 2019Mar 2019