34BMW 3 Series

BMW 3 Series Questions & Answers

Vesna M.
Vesna M. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Is the bmw 3 series e90 323i a collectors car?

Manuel O.
Manuel O. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Where in my car do I find the air bag module

Bobby Vee
Bobby Vee

I own a 3 series G20, so I have not idea.

Manuel O.
Manuel O. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

WHERE CAN I FIND THE AIR BAG MODULE

Yasmin
Yasmin · 3 Series

2006 BMW 320I. Having a problem and I do not know what is causing it. For the most part, it's great, smooth, quiet, and changes perfectly, but it gets to about 2000-2500rpm and the revs start to bounce between those speeds even though the accelerator is being pushed. Like it's spluttering, but it's not quite. And there's a rattling vibration as well, an intermittent one

grant d
grant d · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

what year did bmw resolve the problem with the timing chain in the N47 engine

Rockinghorse
Rockinghorse · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

what needs doing for a 130k service

Edmunds S.
Edmunds S. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Hello! Hope someone can help me
Why my idrive screen starts to function properly as it should work after i drive 15 minutes or so?? Example-i start the car and screen is on but when i press something its reacting after some time but later starts to work properly

Kris
Kris · Coupe

Hi guys.I m thinking to get a 330d E92.What are your thoughts about this vehicle?Thanks

Sean W
Sean W

I would choose any Petrol model any day over the desiel.
Nicer to drive in more than one way.
Less issues with filters too,

Janet K.
Janet K. · 3 Series

Hi. I have bmw 320i series3 touring with 144000km. It's engine oil level drops after some millage,no evidence of leakage.I am using engine oil 5W-30 and serviced on time. When I add oil shows OK but after 500km to 800km show low level.What could be the problem?

Ursela
Ursela · 3 Series

My BMW 318es e90 2008 just switch off while driving. What can be the problem. We replace the fuse box, new battery and front brakes recently. What can be the problem?

alexander h.
alexander h. · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

Are the side mirrors powered on a 318i 2004 BMW and lf so how do you engage to make them work

BMW brah

flick the switch on the drivers side near the door handle, right or left accordingly

Muhmmd Z.
Muhmmd Z. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Hi,

I’ve bmw 320i e90 2007, the engine oil level light (yellow) went off that engine oil level is below minimum. I topped up with 1L then I checked oil level and the indicator showed that oil level is OK. One week later, engine oil light went off again, i checked oil level and indicator showed that +1L of engine oil is needed to be topped up, I did add 1L. Two weeks later, engine oil light went off again, I checked the level, it was below minimum, then I checked the oil level again just 2hours later and oil level was OK (above minimum) !!!! [There’s no any oil leak at all]. Can I please know what’s going on with engine oil in my car???!!!

Thanks!

Ronald D.
Ronald D. · 3 Series F34 (2013-2024)

Hi, I live on the far south coast of NSW and have had since new a 2016 BMW 328i M Sport Gran Turismo which currently has travelled 25,500 kms. While the car drives very well, what drives me crazy is the very harsh ride and the creaking/squeaking noises in the cabin when driving on sealed suburban and regional roads that do not have a smooth surface. Roads with imperfections are a shocker. When friends travel with me they say "What are all those creaks/squeaks?" Yes, very embarrassing indeed. I'd like to know the cause of this noise but suspect it may have something to do with the big and heavy M Sport 19" light alloy wheels with very low profile run-flat tyres - 225/45/R19 (front) and 255/40/R19 (rear) - and tight suspension. Driving in Eco or Normal mode makes no difference whatsoever. I would be most grateful for any advice, please. Regards, Ronald Dove

RW1891

I think you need to check it out with a mechanic. Could be anything from suspensions to interior.

Ronald D.

Thank you RW1891. That covers quite a wide field. The car still has 6 months left on the factory warranty and is due for its next service with the dealer in May. I previously sent an email to the dealer's service manager describing all the issues but so far have not received a response.

Bmwfan
Bmwfan

If you hear it from the wheel well then it's most likely your control arms but a car with such low km should not have that problem. If you can't hear it on the outside then I would not worry. But it wouldn't hurt to get someone to look at it but that'll cost you $$ especially if you don't have a warranty. If it's something major, sell the car before it becomes more noticable. These newer BMW cars are literally money pits as they age. The older ones 2004 and before are bulletproof. Based on my experience driving all kinds of bmws/German cars. Too many sensors in these cars. A s class has 120 modules so imagine the pain it is to fix these. I've charged people thousands for these type of repairs. Computers take more time to fix especially if you need a 25,000 dollar scanner just to find out the problem but that doesn't always work

Ronald D.

Thank you. I'm most grateful for your advice. The creaks/squeaks are all audible inside the cabin, not outside. BMW's Increased use of hard plastics together with big 19" wheels, low profile run-flats and a harsh ride on our second-class roads all contribute to increased and variable noises in the cabin which seriously diminishes driver and passenger enjoyment. Also, I think there is far too much technology in cars today beyond what is absolutely and undeniably essential for safety. More things to go wrong with skyrocketing costs to fix. The local, trusty mechanic is quickly being squeezed out because of all this technology. The more I think about my car the best option seems to be to offload it. The VW Arteon might just be the right alternative for me as a retiree. Thanks once again.

Jez P.
Jez P. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Been thinking about getting a 2005 E90 330i, are there any particularly bad known issues with this model, engine wise (N52 engine I think) or with anything else to do with the car? Don't really want to be continually spending money on fixing it.

RW1891

Hi Jez P, these are wonderful cars to drive. The steering feedback and the road grip of these are awesome. Some of those do suffer from coil pack issues, and injector issues. But my understanding is those are not common and rather common problem is their plastic water pumps rear with time. Check the car with a good independent bmw mechanic. That is worthy. Not buying the car because of fear of these issues at least in my view is like dumping a Victoria’s Secret model because she caught a common cold - happens sometimes, but nothing to split hair upon.

Kaylee F
Kaylee F · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

I was looking at buying my sister a 2005 320i E90. It has 300,000kms (yes I know thats a lot) but the engine seems great in it. It has had the whole top end replaced recently. It has a new cooling system plus new gaskets throughout. It's a manual too if that changes anything. And the high kms are because they live out of town and were driving into town almost everyday putting at least 1,000kms on it a week.

So my question is, is it worth taking a look at? She will only have it for a year until she gets off her P plates and can afford the car she wants.

Larry

Hi Kaylee, My current 320D replaced my 2002 318i which had 210,000 kms on the clock. It was an ex-diplomatic car which had about 35,000kms on it. My daughter drove it for a couple of years and we sold it to a friend last year who is very happy with it. Our first BMW was a 1986 525e which was still going strong with over 340,000klms last we heard(about a year ago). The bottom line in my opinion and experience is that the mechanicals in BMWs are so good that they will go forever (!) provided they are serviced meticulously. Things like seals, gaskets and suspension rubber boots will of course wear out/perish and can be expensive to replace. Only real problem we had was with the 525e which like your 320i had the top end replaced at about 180,000klms. In summary unless your 320i has very good service credentials at such a high mileage, I would be wary, as repairs might bring tears to her eyes. The engine is not the only costly thing; think shock absorbers, transmission, ball joints, engine cooling system, electricals etc.

lilgen
lilgen · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

how do see if its a real e46?

Ask your BMW dealer

BMW brah

goto TAKATA and enter rego and state if in Australia that is and all the data will pop up

Mark B
Mark B · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

What did the 2004 318i executive cost in AUD IN 2004?

PerthResident
PerthResident

$56 500, can find all car valuations on redbook.

sue
sue · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

BMW 320I 6cyl is the cam gear belt driven or chain driven or gear driven?

PK
PK

It is chain. No timing belt there.

Toni S
Toni S · 3 Series F30 (2012-2019)

Thinking of buying a 320d msport deisel (twin turbo with sports shift paddles).....any pro’s/cons?

BrianG335
BrianG335

If its brand new, then go for it. Just make sure that you ask for the full specification to make sure exactly which options the car has.

If its used, make sure that that it has a precise service history with no skipped or overdue servicing. Check the 'service requirements' with the I-drive controller to make sure things like brake pads, filters etc aren't nearly due for replacement. Diesel servicing prices are a little more expensive than petrol.

If you have the VIN number, use one of the free BMW VIN decoder websites to check out exact build date,where it was built and the full detailed specifications.

Snehal
Snehal · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

i am planning to buy a 320 E90 2006 model which has done 17000kms. not sure wether its the best decision but i have always been a great fan of BMWs. Wanted to find out if it will be an economical car or will it drill a hole in the pocket? Also wanted to know that is it ok to buy it on such high kms done?

Gt Patrol
Gt Patrol

Pay and Get it checked thoroughly over by a BMW specialist before you buy. I didn't and a $8000 car cost me another $8000 to make it reliable. ( It costs to look good ) ha ha.

Get an answer from our members and BMW representatives

Select a listing for your question
BMW 3 Series