BMW 3 Series

BMW 3 Series (page 4 of 5)

Sedan, Touring, Coupe, etc...

• Braking

DON'T BUY .... ABSOLUTE LEMONS

LineLuxury

DrBob737AU

Bring on the Road Pantzer

The BMW 320d E90 2008 model signifies sedan 2 litre diesel auto and this is a brilliant car. Solidly built, excellent road handling and brilliant at 5.6ltr/100km fuel economy. Just be careful with whomever you choose to service the car. Forget buying BMW parts from BMW in Australia they are the same as Citroen and Volvo. Whatever the price is in USA or UK triple it for Australia so just buy through eBay. Servicing in minimal once a year. This car is rock solid on the road with my heaps of torque at and above 1500 rpm. Forget the run flat tyres at $350 plus a pop get solid radials and look forward to smooth comfortable quiet driving experience.

Badge320d

Unsafe vehicles

Bought new 2010 320i Executive. Had bad car accident, not 1 airbag deployed after 2 collisions: bounced off a car and then a pole.
Can I sue BMW?

Kimir

Kimir

2010 BMW 320i Rubbish

Purchased brand new, has been to the dealership on no less than 10 occasions. Added recent invoices up and it has had 14k worth of repairs luckily under warranty. Problem items, 6 months into ownership:
- mechatronics gearbox replacement 11k to fix (6000 km's)
- cylinder head cover replacement and vacuum pump replaced twice (36000 km's and 66000 km's)
- faulty ignition key
Every service was done by a BMW dealership in accordance with the service intervals specified. Car looks great as it is fully optioned. Never done a review before but would like to let people know my experience. It is getting traded asap. The last fault vacuum pump and head cover replacement was covered under Allianz Extended Warranty. No problems with the claim.

BMW 2005 320i E90

These cars are and absolute pleasure to drive, magnificent but don't purchase one, they are a nightmare mechanically. Just ask any mechanic: water pump, radiator, cat converter, sensors, the list goes on...
Their appearance is second to none but beauty with these machines is only skin deep: I loved looking at my BMW but I was afraid to drive it anywhere.

BodySedan

You gotta do your homework

BodyWagon

BMW 3 Series E90

I bought my wife a brand new 3 series Executive, paid $65k in 2005, within 10 months the auto blew up, great under warranty, what a Nightmare of a car. Every time we took this car to BMW the minimum cost was $1000. We still have the car, the engine light comes on often, we have replaced that many Valvetronic motors, we continue to get different lights all the time. 2 weeks ago I was offered $4000 as a trade in on a Merc, the dealer apologised to me for the insult, but as he said, the 3 series was the worst car BMW have ever sold. I would agree with him 100%.
NEVER buy a BMW, this piece of ......... cost us a fortune! Not Happy :(

StickShiftNZAuckland, NZ

Of all the used cars I've owned, the one I like the most

TransmissionManual
Badge316ti
BodyCompact
Richie

RichieETTALONG BEACH

316i

Just picked up a 2013 316i very nice ex demo, I had a 320i which was traded in. The new car is a step up from my old car. Very good ride: comfort, good steering, very supportive seats, a well laid out dash and easy to read. Plenty of bells and whistles make this a good buy. Having looked at the competition I must admit I do like BMW.
Solid car great to drive
nothing yet

Never
Never
John

Johnmelbourne

Best car I had ever owned

My mother bought this car brand new, a 1993 model, I purchased it from her when I turned 18 and it proved completely reliable for 21 years. All parts and repairs are completely affordable and realistic if you can do things yourself, but we never had a single problem at 320,000 ks, no engine issues, no transmission issues.
With cars like this, they must be maintained well, an oil change is the most important thing you can do for a car, and if you buy second hand, try buying from a reputable owner. These cars were designed great, care for it and it will care for you.

A little underpowered

Badge318i
AndyM156

AndyM156Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never buy out of warranty

I purchased a 2006 320i with 100,000km and full service history. In 14 months ownership I had multiple problems and estimate I would have spent $8,000 on services and maintenance issues including multiple oil leaks. I understand and accept that a second hand car will have faults but I have driven cars with over twice that mileage before that were a lot more reliable - I think it says a lot about BMWs build quality - the BMW specialist mechanics I took it to said this model was notorious for oil leaks. The driving experience was nothing special either. Much happier now I have got rid of it and purchased a Lexus.

Unreliable

robinit

robinitdee why

The love of my life sent me broke!

Badge325Ci
BodyCoupe
CraigB

CraigBMelbourne

320i 2007 - don't bother

I've had a 320i Executive sedan with innovations pack since new and have had nothing but trouble. Had to replace the thermo fan at 26,000km's and now the auto transmission has failed at 57,000km's and $10k to replace! BMW Australia want nothing to do with it - clearly a known fault with the car. A luxury sedan having this many major failures = no more BMW's for me!

Too many faults and expenses just out of warranty

sunvi.ahsan
sunvi.ahsan

I had exact same issue - failing at 110k. very expensive replacement. about 12k.

Oldnotdead

OldnotdeadBuderim

The perfect upmarket executive vehicle

I don't about you but when I buy a new car, I want it to work in every way but also to have style and to make me feel good and everyone I get in it, and the 320d does that for me. Plenty of power with frugality thrown in, size is ideal for 2-4 people and the fact that nothing goes wrong is a real bonus for me.
Not hassles, frugal on fuel, stylish.
Initial costs maybe?

Badge320d
brixous
brixous
Stussis Dad

Stussis DadAlice Springs

Perfect product

I bought the 320i executive new in 2008. It's just gone 4 years old and 70K and has not missed a beat, everything works as intended and still on the original battery. Great handling and nice and easy to maneuver and park around town and holds the road beautifully at high speed.

The only downside is there is no wheel well in the boot should (and I would!) you wish to change from runflat tyres to standard type tyres. The runflats are a piece of mind safety feature but wear out way to quickly (on my third set). I've had a few nice cars including Mercs, VW, BMW's, Audi but my next purchase will be another Beamer.
Equipment level, build quality, handling, fuel consumption.
I would prefer not to have runflat tyres.

ReasonableMan

Badge330i
moussa_t

moussa_tAU

Bad

Bought a 1993 model 318i BMW earlier this year (2010). It seemed ok when I test-drove it. But I regret buying it after having to fix a few parts on in (from normal wear and tear). Parts cost 4 or 5 times (or more) than other cars types. All the electric gadgets are starting to fail and the airconditioner doesn't work any more. In its hey-day it would have been a nice car to drive for sure. But I think these are a bit too old now. Also if you're after fuel economy and a car that's economical to run in general... avoid buying this car.
Sturdy car. Handles well on turns/unsteady conditions. Electric options. Sunroof.
Parts are way too expensive. More likely to have maintenance problems with these older models. Too sluggish. Bad fuel economy.

Badge318i
fastred
fastred

93 model has older engine which is not as good as the updated engine in 95 model.

Bill Bangle