BMW 3 Series

BMW 3 Series (page 3 of 3)

Sedan, Touring, Coupe, etc...
See the Best Cars in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for BMW? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking

Never
Never
John
Johnmelbourne

Best car I had ever owned

My mother bought this car brand new, a 1993 model, I purchased it from her when I turned 18 and it proved completely reliable for 21 years. All parts and repairs are completely affordable and realistic if you can do things yourself, but we never had a single problem at 320,000 ks, no engine issues, no transmission issues.
With cars like this, they must be maintained well, an oil change is the most important thing you can do for a car, and if you buy second hand, try buying from a reputable owner. These cars were designed great, care for it and it will care for you.

A little underpowered

Badge318i
AndyM156
AndyM156Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never buy out of warranty

I purchased a 2006 320i with 100,000km and full service history. In 14 months ownership I had multiple problems and estimate I would have spent $8,000 on services and maintenance issues including multiple oil leaks. I understand and accept that a second hand car will have faults but I have driven cars with over twice that mileage before that were a lot more reliable - I think it says a lot about BMWs build quality - the BMW specialist mechanics I took it to said this model was notorious for oil leaks. The driving experience was nothing special either. Much happier now I have got rid of it and purchased a Lexus.

Unreliable

Oldnotdead
OldnotdeadBuderim

The perfect upmarket executive vehicle

I don't about you but when I buy a new car, I want it to work in every way but also to have style and to make me feel good and everyone I get in it, and the 320d does that for me. Plenty of power with frugality thrown in, size is ideal for 2-4 people and the fact that nothing goes wrong is a real bonus for me.
Not hassles, frugal on fuel, stylish.
Initial costs maybe?

Find out how BMW 3 Series compares to other Cars

Stussis Dad
Stussis DadAlice Springs

Perfect product

I bought the 320i executive new in 2008. It's just gone 4 years old and 70K and has not missed a beat, everything works as intended and still on the original battery. Great handling and nice and easy to maneuver and park around town and holds the road beautifully at high speed.

The only downside is there is no wheel well in the boot should (and I would!) you wish to change from runflat tyres to standard type tyres. The runflats are a piece of mind safety feature but wear out way to quickly (on my third set). I've had a few nice cars including Mercs, VW, BMW's, Audi but my next purchase will be another Beamer.
Equipment level, build quality, handling, fuel consumption.
I would prefer not to have runflat tyres.

LineExecutive
NotAHappyCustomer
NotAHappyCustomerSouth Australia

Best car I've ever owned

I've owned a Mazda, four Audis and an HSV, and this 3 series is my favorite car of all. I was lucky enough to get a German-built version when the 2009 model first came out. No problems at all with build quality, not a single thing has gone wrong in 2 years.

I don't find the run flats to be too hard, but I came from an HSV with 19" rims, so anything was going to be softer.

320d engine has ample power and great delivery. Economy isn't flash - around town 7.5l/100km and low 6s on freeway trips, versus official combined figure of 5.4L. That's the only downside (other than purchase cost, of course).
Reliable, smooth, great build quality, good styling (with sport pack)
18" rims make for expensive tyres