BMW 3 Series

BMW 3 Series (page 2 of 2)

Sedan, Touring, Coupe, etc...
See the Best Cars in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for BMW? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Features

Bruce
Bruce

Motor bike on wheels

Performance excellent. Handling ditto. Run flat tyres noisy and rough. Replaced them with Pirelli P Zeros. Sound system excellent. 21000k in 6 years. No problems. Dealers too dear for servicing. Oil etc $550??!!!
Midas $150. Condition based servicing schedule a good system. Paint outstanding. Soft alloys. Insurance $750/annum. Roof no leaks.

BodyConvertible
Badge335i
Date PurchasedJune 2011
Brianjames
BrianjamesMelbourne

330i great sporty drive

The new 330i sedan with the M Sport package is a great drivers car, can be eco for great fuel economy or click sport depending on your mood or the road.Heaps of power with the twin turbo and very good handling
Fabulous for long distance driving, no stress driving, good sound system and quietness
Quiet, luxury with all the safety features of active cruise control and more cameras than a Hollywood movie

Badge330i
Date PurchasedOct 2016
Silverback
SilverbackSouth East Queensland, QLD

A dream to drive. Sports and luxury combined.

2010 BMW 320i 4 door sedan is an absolute pleasure to drive. Quick, efficient and very responsive I love driving this car. The steering is a little heavier than usual but this gives you great road feel, responsive driving experience. Love the leather interior but above just love the solid feeling and safety of this car. This is especially important when your family is on board. Great value for money secondhand. Quality product.

Date PurchasedSept 2015

our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Ahmet S
Ahmet SSydney Surrounds, NSW

Great Car

Great car to own pleasure to drive. Parts are easy to obtain I deal with Clickable Auto in Melbourne for my parts. Just the common issues and are easy to fix once you understand the design. Running costs are normal parts and repair are easy to obtain, but always check with guys at ClickableAuto.

July 24th 2017 Update: Great after care

Great customer care , I believe I am the 3 rd owner and I was impressed they found me through the car registration to replace airbags after TANAKA recall. Its great to see they care about a driver who is in one of their cars even after 13 years of purchase.

Badge320Ci
TransmissionManual

Beautiful Car

I recently purchase a 320i F30 Msport.
Amazing to drive. The gear change is so smooth.
The exterior is sleek and eye catching.
The interior gives you a sophisticated feel.
Running costs are a bit higher due to the type of vehicle however if you're worried about this then you probably shouldn't own a BMW.

naturalAU

Probably the best car I've ever owned

Badge330Ci
nregu57
nregu57Northeast, VIC

Don't want to let this car go

Bought this car brand new; drives beautifully; great road holding and handling. About to update to a newer model, but hesitant at letting this one go (I'm very attached to it). Never had a breakdown or needed major repairs, so repair and running costs have been minimal. Found a local BMW specialist mechanic who keeps my car in tip-top condition (anything that he doesn't know about BMW's isn't worth knowing) and charges a fraction of what the local dealership does to service the car.

Badge318is
LineSport
Kel M.
Kel M.Melbourne

Love my amazing 320d

For long time, when talking about a diesel car, I would think of van or truck. But when I test drove my 320d, it's just amazing, smooth, really give you some more kick compare to normal 320i, and fuel economy is much better. The sports line I got which add some more stylish trimming and better leather. Front and back leg room is enough for 4~5 ~180cm guys to sit reasonably comfortable, but don't expect as generous as 5 series. The down side would be the stop-start on the 320d give quite noticeable noise and kick when restarting, another one is the suspension is pretty firm given that it's a sport line, not comfortable enough if doing a long drive.

LineSport

BMW 2005 320i E90

These cars are and absolute pleasure to drive, magnificent but don't purchase one, they are a nightmare mechanically. Just ask any mechanic: water pump, radiator, cat converter, sensors, the list goes on...
Their appearance is second to none but beauty with these machines is only skin deep: I loved looking at my BMW but I was afraid to drive it anywhere.

John
Johnmelbourne

Best car I had ever owned

My mother bought this car brand new, a 1993 model, I purchased it from her when I turned 18 and it proved completely reliable for 21 years. All parts and repairs are completely affordable and realistic if you can do things yourself, but we never had a single problem at 320,000 ks, no engine issues, no transmission issues.
With cars like this, they must be maintained well, an oil change is the most important thing you can do for a car, and if you buy second hand, try buying from a reputable owner. These cars were designed great, care for it and it will care for you.

A little underpowered

Badge318i
CraigB
CraigBMelbourne

320i 2007 - don't bother

I've had a 320i Executive sedan with innovations pack since new and have had nothing but trouble. Had to replace the thermo fan at 26,000km's and now the auto transmission has failed at 57,000km's and $10k to replace! BMW Australia want nothing to do with it - clearly a known fault with the car. A luxury sedan having this many major failures = no more BMW's for me!

Too many faults and expenses just out of warranty

sunvi.ahsan
sunvi.ahsan

I had exact same issue - failing at 110k. very expensive replacement. about 12k.

Oldnotdead
OldnotdeadBuderim

The perfect upmarket executive vehicle

I don't about you but when I buy a new car, I want it to work in every way but also to have style and to make me feel good and everyone I get in it, and the 320d does that for me. Plenty of power with frugality thrown in, size is ideal for 2-4 people and the fact that nothing goes wrong is a real bonus for me.
Not hassles, frugal on fuel, stylish.
Initial costs maybe?

brixous
brixous
Stussis Dad
Stussis DadAlice Springs

Perfect product

I bought the 320i executive new in 2008. It's just gone 4 years old and 70K and has not missed a beat, everything works as intended and still on the original battery. Great handling and nice and easy to maneuver and park around town and holds the road beautifully at high speed.

The only downside is there is no wheel well in the boot should (and I would!) you wish to change from runflat tyres to standard type tyres. The runflats are a piece of mind safety feature but wear out way to quickly (on my third set). I've had a few nice cars including Mercs, VW, BMW's, Audi but my next purchase will be another Beamer.
Equipment level, build quality, handling, fuel consumption.
I would prefer not to have runflat tyres.

Cleanskin

Badge325i
moussa_t
moussa_tAU

Bad

Bought a 1993 model 318i BMW earlier this year (2010). It seemed ok when I test-drove it. But I regret buying it after having to fix a few parts on in (from normal wear and tear). Parts cost 4 or 5 times (or more) than other cars types. All the electric gadgets are starting to fail and the airconditioner doesn't work any more. In its hey-day it would have been a nice car to drive for sure. But I think these are a bit too old now. Also if you're after fuel economy and a car that's economical to run in general... avoid buying this car.
Sturdy car. Handles well on turns/unsteady conditions. Electric options. Sunroof.
Parts are way too expensive. More likely to have maintenance problems with these older models. Too sluggish. Bad fuel economy.

Badge318i
fastred
fastred

93 model has older engine which is not as good as the updated engine in 95 model.

Bill Bangle
Bill Bangle

Yeh I had a 325i and it was just a money pit. totally avoid them

NotAHappyCustomer
NotAHappyCustomerAU

Best car I've ever owned

I've owned a Mazda, four Audis and an HSV, and this 3 series is my favorite car of all. I was lucky enough to get a German-built version when the 2009 model first came out. No problems at all with build quality, not a single thing has gone wrong in 2 years.

I don't find the run flats to be too hard, but I came from an HSV with 19" rims, so anything was going to be softer.

320d engine has ample power and great delivery. Economy isn't flash - around town 7.5l/100km and low 6s on freeway trips, versus official combined figure of 5.4L. That's the only downside (other than purchase cost, of course).
Reliable, smooth, great build quality, good styling (with sport pack)
18" rims make for expensive tyres

scott87
scott87Vic, 3006

Badge325i
GTO
GTOSydney, NSW

Expected a lot more from a prestige car

rogers
rogers

Badge323i
jackfrost
jackfrost

This is an older but still beautiful car 1998 328i, and goes well, 2 door windows tension wiring broke twice but on different windows, and cost a lot to fix but I guess thats to be expected. Tried getting it serviced at the local garage a few years ago, but it wasn't happy so back to the BMW dealer again and it purrs every time it comes out of servicing, Hope it will last me forever. I think it is the best classic looking BMW series car around.

Cost of servicing