BMW R 1200 RT

• Comfort
  • Handling
DJY

DJYVictoria

Now a affordable touring bike

I finally bought a r1200rt it is a 08 mod not the se but with the things you need for a decent touring bike. These day's you can get a decent bike for under $8000 when you compare this to back in the day it's good value. Anyway just as I thought it is a pleasure to ride and own average fuel economy is 500kms and with the cruise and electronic screen there could be more in saving fuel, if you get a chance ride one.

Purchased in October 2019 for A$5,000.00.

Noise Level
Comfort
Handling

batchee

batcheeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Long legs and plenty of tech

Purchased in April 2015 at Morgan and Wacker.

Noise Level
Comfort
Handling
Wedge

Wedge

The guardian angel of bikes

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Touring Bikes

Find out how BMW R 1200 RT compares to other Touring Bikes

Great bike although...

Excellent for 12k until after an official BM service it has llost the initial urge to accelerate when the throttle is opened during down shifting! BM are mystified. Apart from this the bike can handle 500+ miles a day comfortably.

BattleaxeKaroonda

This is a awesome ride

I always favour sport bikes .....But since i took my BMW R1200RT fore a ride i was amaized. Low down toque ... more than enough!!!! Smooth like silk in gear changing. A Bit heavy but managable.

Loving it

After 25 years without a bike (previous CBX750F) I can say it was a dream to ride. Even two up. And this is a 2007 model. Very pleased. Rode it from qld to Vic straight away. All faults with the nut holding the handgrips.

Verne

VerneAU

Comfy for the long haul but not designed for the city commute

Stef
Stef
Clydester

Clydester

Good

Typical excellent BMW quality. I like it a lot with the exception of the suspension issue, that might be able to be adjusted out. Great on long trips as it is kind to my old bones. Didn't realise just how comfortable it was until I rode a Jap sports tourer for 350km last weekend. The Beemer is certainly sreets ahead on the long distance touring stakes.
Comfortable, ample power, great brakes, good improvement on previous model, R1150RT. Good tourer. Can even get the front wheel up on this big bike.
Suspension is a bit soft and wallowly when pushed. The suspension is not as good as R1150RT this bike replaced. But then again its not intended to be a sports bike.

Battleaxeasked

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the answers about what to look for when buying a used R1200RT.
Another question.......... Is there some place to register on BMW so they can email me if there is a recall on either the bike or a parts that needs to be replaced? I stumbled across a web side that mention about the rear brake disc that needs replacing. It turned out mine was one of them. I hope my nearest BMW dealer will be kind enough to let me know. But in the mean time its all wondering and searching.
Battle axe

Remco

Funny enough just this morning I received a letter from the BMW Group Australia with reference to my chassis number to get me to replace the rear wheel flange for being faulty. Sadly mine had failed earlier and I replaced it at my expense. So to answer your question, having the bike serviced with an authorised repairer ensure you're in the information loop.

Battleaxe

You will not believe this... This morning i received a letter from BMW Group (customer relations manager) I was automatically registered on their website when i purchased the bike. I appreciate the service, and i think me and BMW are going to become good friends. Happy days and hours of fun on my BMW. Thanks REMCO.
Battle axe

Battleaxeasked

I am about to buy a R1200RT it is a 2009 model. This bike was a old police bike with 44 000 on the clock. It looks very neat, But what questions do i need to ask? And what do i need to look out for?

jmy60

Ask the owner if it was used for daily commuting in the city to work or used for touring. City riding is hard on the bike compared to the open road. The reason I mention that is that these bikes have a clutch at the rear of the engine that are expensive to repair...quite a job to get to it and replace the clutch assembly. Something with that many kms on it in city traffic may be due for a new clutch down the track. Of course you can gauge clutch wear by how far you have to release the clutch lever before the bike starts to move off from stationary. If the lever is a long way out - IE 3/4 of it's travel or more it is a clear indication that the clutch plate is worn. If there is a shudder as you release the pedal that is also a sign of a uneven wear in the clutch.

jmy60

The engine's rear main oil seal can go and cause oil to get onto the clutch plate hence creating poor clutch performance. If there is any sign of oil under the rear of the engine (even weeping slightly) that is a good indicator of a leaking rear seal. Also check the drive shaft for any leaks or excessive movement in the outer housing. All in all they are a great bike and very reliable.. I am giving you a mechanical point of view to just check it out so you don't get hit with expensive repairs down the track. Hope this helps!

Battleaxe

Thanks guys this is very helpfull. Hope you have a great day.
Battleaxe.

Kevin

Kevinasked

I am thinking of trading my RT 2006. It only has 33000ks on it but it is getting a bit outdated I feel.
I ride mainly with Adventure type bikes and I feel like a bit of a Dinosaur. Would the 1200R be a better bike?

Remco

A "dinosaur"? Hmmm I just rode from Townsville to Perth, 7 000km on the RT in ten days. It purrs at 130kph (in the NT :) ) and steers itself by leaning into the curve of the road. It's quiet, easy to maintain (no coolant for example), a low centre of gravity, light with high power to weight ratio and comfortable to sit on for a 12 hour day doing 1200 km Newman to Perth in one day (and I'm 65 btw). I can see reason for moving to a lighter bike eg the Honda NC700 or whatever), but not a stripped down version of the RT. I can see reason for the cost and availability of parts to change, but this aint a dinosaur. I have two RTs btw.

CategoryTouring Bikes