BMW R 1200 RT

BMW R 1200 RT

4.3

Buzzin' Dozen

Buzzin' DozenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Does it all, tours all day and handles well for its weight

Date PurchasedJan 2018
    gt714720

gt714720

R 1200 RT the supreme tourer

If you love going places, doing the miles , this is the bike for you. The Taj Mahal the Rolls Royce the starship enterprise of motorcycles. Its solid reliable comfortable powerful, gutsy confident machine. well built , has everything you need . Plenty of techno and features. No struggles riding this bike its like sitting in your lounge chair to the point were you don't want to get off. I never thought I would do so much and go so far, but capable of me doing 1000 + kms a day on this , and never intended too. Love it and enjoy so much. Your riding will venture into a whole new facet of motorcycling when you get one. You cannot be disappointed.

Date PurchasedOct 2015
    Murray K

Murray KGippsland, VIC

Fabulous high tech road bike

I bought the new R100RT that came out in 2015 and am delighted with it. I have now done 15,000 k with no issues. It has all one needs on a road bike (except perhaps not much weather protecion).
    It is nimble once on the move and the power is tractable. Brakes are wonderful and ABS works beautifully. The clutchless gear change is clunky from 1st to 2nd but easy thereafter. The real benefit of this is downshifting which can be done more quickly that using the clutch as one comes into a tight corner. The good tech bits like tire pressure monitoring and engine monitoring, cruise control are all great.
    It is not a tourer like an RT1200RT but for quick day trips into the hills it is perfect.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

The perfect Tourer

Wandin ValleyNortham

Massive step up from Previous RT's

RemcoWestern Australia

Simply an excellent comfortable cruiser but at a price.

After two years of use and having researched other motorcycles in its class, I say unreservedly, this bike is excellent. Comfortable, including for the pillion driver, large panniers, quiet and very smooth to drive. It simply works and flawlessly.
    My only criticism is that parts are expensive, absurdly so sometimes.
    It is lighter than most bikes of its class. Quiet, excellent gears, powerful and smooth. Electric windshield is great.
    EXPENSIVE parts.

jmy60

I actually find that the extra cost of purchasing 98 grade in my Saab car is paid back in the extra fuel economy. It also means a cleaner burn and less maintenance - hence less cost eg spark plug replacement.

KillerRooster

KillerRooster

parkourspider

parkourspider

overall its one nice awesome bike and i recomend it to everyone and they should buy at least 1 XD
    its really really fast and very reliable also does need much attention as its very ergonomical
    cost alot to run and also because its new and if parts need chaning then the parts are going to cost alot

Wheel Happy
    Wheel Happy

I agree, great tourer, expensive to buy but should do big K's

Touring Bikes

Find out how BMW R 1200 RT compares to other Touring Bikes

Battleaxeasked

Hi Guys.
    Thanks for all the answers about what to look for when buying a used R1200RT.
    Another question.......... Is there some place to register on BMW so they can email me if there is a recall on either the bike or a parts that needs to be replaced? I stumbled across a web side that mention about the rear brake disc that needs replacing. It turned out mine was one of them. I hope my nearest BMW dealer will be kind enough to let me know. But in the mean time its all wondering and searching.
    Battle axe

Remco

Funny enough just this morning I received a letter from the BMW Group Australia with reference to my chassis number to get me to replace the rear wheel flange for being faulty. Sadly mine had failed earlier and I replaced it at my expense. So to answer your question, having the bike serviced with an authorised repairer ensure you're in the information loop.

Battleaxe

You will not believe this... This morning i received a letter from BMW Group (customer relations manager) I was automatically registered on their website when i purchased the bike. I appreciate the service, and i think me and BMW are going to become good friends. Happy days and hours of fun on my BMW. Thanks REMCO.
    Battle axe

Battleaxeasked

I am about to buy a R1200RT it is a 2009 model. This bike was a old police bike with 44 000 on the clock. It looks very neat, But what questions do i need to ask? And what do i need to look out for?

jmy60

Ask the owner if it was used for daily commuting in the city to work or used for touring. City riding is hard on the bike compared to the open road. The reason I mention that is that these bikes have a clutch at the rear of the engine that are expensive to repair...quite a job to get to it and replace the clutch assembly. Something with that many kms on it in city traffic may be due for a new clutch down the track. Of course you can gauge clutch wear by how far you have to release the clutch lever before the bike starts to move off from stationary. If the lever is a long way out - IE 3/4 of it's travel or more it is a clear indication that the clutch plate is worn. If there is a shudder as you release the pedal that is also a sign of a uneven wear in the clutch.

jmy60

The engine's rear main oil seal can go and cause oil to get onto the clutch plate hence creating poor clutch performance. If there is any sign of oil under the rear of the engine (even weeping slightly) that is a good indicator of a leaking rear seal. Also check the drive shaft for any leaks or excessive movement in the outer housing. All in all they are a great bike and very reliable.. I am giving you a mechanical point of view to just check it out so you don't get hit with expensive repairs down the track. Hope this helps!

Battleaxe

Thanks guys this is very helpfull. Hope you have a great day.
    Battleaxe.

Kevin

Kevinasked

I am thinking of trading my RT 2006. It only has 33000ks on it but it is getting a bit outdated I feel.
    I ride mainly with Adventure type bikes and I feel like a bit of a Dinosaur. Would the 1200R be a better bike?

Remco

A "dinosaur"? Hmmm I just rode from Townsville to Perth, 7 000km on the RT in ten days. It purrs at 130kph (in the NT :) ) and steers itself by leaning into the curve of the road. It's quiet, easy to maintain (no coolant for example), a low centre of gravity, light with high power to weight ratio and comfortable to sit on for a 12 hour day doing 1200 km Newman to Perth in one day (and I'm 65 btw). I can see reason for moving to a lighter bike eg the Honda NC700 or whatever), but not a stripped down version of the RT. I can see reason for the cost and availability of parts to change, but this aint a dinosaur. I have two RTs btw.

CategoryTouring Bikes