BMW X3

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Muscular was a word used often in its presence, partly because of its lower stance and aero pack

The driver has a fantastic view out from the high-set seat, with plenty of adjustment from both the steering wheel and perch. The big central screen and big instrument pod are all easy on the eye and simple to use.
Six airbags, ABS, brake assist, brake force distribution, stability and traction controls, rollover sensor all add up to five ANCAP stars.

BadgeXDrive25i Lifestyle
Date PurchasedSep 2013

No regrets!

I am a convert! Not a big fan of BMW outlook to start with, but fell in love during our test drive experience. The comfort and effortless driving pretty much sell itself. Use the corporate program to get 5 years free servicing and warranty. So far it's been great, can't fault the car in any ways!

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Spacious and Quiet Luxury Mid Size SUV

-Very quiet interior, good and dynamic handling along with great cornering ability
-dashboard isnt great but apart from that very spacious and comfortable interior
-very economical
-very good clearance
-excellent technology i.e heads up display and safety functions
-good colour options
-electric heated seats are the best
-panoramic sunroof is also a nice addition

BadgeXDrive25i Lifestyle
Date PurchasedJun 2017

good car

good car, I did a lot of research before purchasing this car. HUD is an amazing feature. i have a white one. the color looks amazing too. leather seat is good. and it is very quiet when it is on eco efficiency mode. when it is switched to sports mode, it is very fast.

BadgexDrive20i
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Great engine. Pity the rest of the SUV doesn't match it!

I did a lot of research before I purchased my 2015 BMW 30D X3 F25 LCI. I thought it was my dream car, but it didn't turn out that way. it drove and handled well, and that 3L Diesel engine is just delightful. Unbelievable go for a Diesel engine. The problem was that within weeks the car developed awful squeaks from the doors, tailgate and sunroof. After many visits to BMW Melbourne, who I would not recommend if you are purchasing a BMW, the squeaks always returned within weeks. The only thing ever permanently fixed was the squeak from the sunroof, and that meant my car was with the dealer for a whole week. When I checked online it turns out that the squeaking door seals are quite common and it looks like some owners spend a lot of effort to defeat. No matter what I tried or the dealer tried the squeaks always returned. They were so bad they ruined the entire driving experience. I had an opportunity to exit the X3 after 2 years of persisting with the issues, and I gladly got rid of the vehicle. I changed over to the new generation Mazda CX-9 and I can tell you the service experience and vehicle are superior to BMW in every way. BMW need to do lots of work if they think the experience they offer is that of a premium brand and vehicle.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Not All It's Cracked Up To Be

I just read a review on Product Review of a new BMW X5, raving about the fuel economy, heads up display and lane departure among other features. Well my opinions of my 5 month old BMW X3 differ somewhat. Unfortunately my 2.0X Drive wasn't optioned with those features above and fuel consumption is only marginally fair with 9.0 l/100km as about the best I can get around town. Look, the car is comfortable, spacious and looks prestigious but has little grunt (typical of a 2L engine under biggish body). I advise, go the 3L or TDi. The navigation system can be difficult and over-complicated to initiate but after a while, it's manageable. The 8 speaker sound system is terrific but again over complicated. The seats are comfortable but I kept getting a sore neck after driving. My osteopath said it may be the design of the seats as he knew of people who had real back issues with Mercedes seats. My biggest issue with this BMW however, is the steering. I really didn't detect it in my test drives but the steering is stiff and quite heavy around town. Get out on the freeway and it is highly direct. Move the steering wheel a tiny fraction and off you go. Correction is needed at every step. As a result, it is not a comfortable, relaxed drive. I find myself moving all over my lane. And it's not just my car. BMW acknowledges the directness of its electronic steering particularly as speeds increase. This car has disappointed me. I did lots of research against Audi Q5, Volvo XC60 and Landcover DiscoSport and reviews generally had X3 on top. Lucky I'm not a professional car reviewer.

Excellent easy to drive Car

I bought the X3 in May 2016, it is a 30d model, which is a diesel 6 cylinder twin turbo. The car is really easy to drive and park, it has plenty of power and if you want extra you can just put it in sports mode. The fuel economy for this powerful car is amazing, around town I get about 8.6l/100km. The 360 degree parking system makes parking the car super easy, along with the reversing camera and sensors. The car handles very well and is a pleasure to drive.
The front seats in the car have many adjustments to make you comfortable while driving, the back seat has plenty of leg room but the can be a little slippery for passengers going around corners due to the leather seating. I purchased a service plan from the dealer for $1300 when I bought the car which covers my servicing costs for the next 5 years/80,000km, not including a few things like brakes & Tyres. The car requires servicing every 15,000km. I would highly recommend the X3.

I have now owned this car for almost 3 years, it is still a pleasure to drive but there have been a couple of problems with it, one being a really annoying rattle in the tail gate of the car. I spoke to a BMW mechanic about this issue when the dealership had trouble stopping the rattling and then tried to charge me for the repairs. Apparently this rattle is very common in BMW's in particular the X3, X4 and X5 and it has been for years, it seems to be a design fault that BMW has never bothered to correct. You need to be aware of this as BMW have a 1 year rattle warranty, yes that is correct when you buy this extremely expensive car, it doesn't even come with a full 3 year warranty. In my opinion BMW are very aware of this consistent rattle problem so instead of fixing the problem they make the owners pay to have it corrected after only 1 year, I find this pretty appalling. The 1 year rattle warranty was certainly never mentioned to me when I bought the car but no doubt it is in the fine print somewhere, so please be aware that if you buy an X3,X4 or X5 the likelihood is that you will have a rattle that you will have to pay to have fixed. The other problem I have encountered is sourcing tyres for the X3, in Australia there is only a certain amount of run flat tyres brought into the country and if you have a flat tyre or need to replace your tyres in the last half of the year, it is almost impossible to get the matching tyres to the tyres already on the car.

Purchased in May 2016.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Very satisfied, highly recommended!

Bought from BMW Melbourne August 2016. Excellent service and great car performance. Nothing to complain of. The leather seats are really comfortable (should have chosen the white color interior). Adjustable lumbar support, great and handy control panel, and love the heated seats. The head up display and the drive assist are A MUST features!! A base model would not have any of those. Fuel efficiency with their 2L Diesel engine is also great.

BadgexDrive20d Lifestyle
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Just a nice car to drive.

Traded in a 3 Litre BMW X5. Outward appearance, dependent on color it is hard to differentiate between the X5 and X3, the 2 exhaust at the rear of the X5 is always our decider.
Interior, the X3 is noticeably smaller and took a while to get used to but 6 months on we find there is plenty of room especially for the two of us.
Interior fit is excellent as expected, we opted for the faux leather seats which are great, you miss out on the new car smell. Rear, (boot space) is small but average with the mid range SUV's.
Engine performance is brilliant, we test drove the petrol model first and would have walked away if we hadn't drove the diesel model. I can't recommend this enough, comfort mode gives you heaps of pickup and highway speed but sports mode definitely impresses. I ran the economy mode on an interstate trip and was really impressed with the economy, it sat nicely at highway speed but put the foot down to overtake and the power kicks in. The ability to drive manual gears through either the paddles or shift is nice.
The auto is smooth, highway k's and acceleration certainly doesn't feel like a small 4 cylinder car. Road noise is okay considering it has run flat tyres.
The steering I find has no feel, the power steering takes took much away, having said that my wife loves it (and it is really her car).
One big complaint is the Sat Nav, no where near as good as NavMan, Garmins, no warnings of speed camera's etc. Huge disappointment when you can get an aftermarket one for a few hundred dollars which has free updates on maps. Yes, you have to pay for BMW updates and they are not cheap.
It has the BMW appeal and is probably priced fairly within the luxury SUV market.
Almost forgot, the panoramic sunroof is brilliant!
Salesperson - Excellent

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Good, but BMW Germany is cheap

I have had my X3 3.0d for a year and I haven't had any issues yet. However, it is clear that BMW Germany is making their cars as cheap as possible by removing small features that would make it a great car. I should say that I had a Citroen C4 prior to this which was fantastic but missing the quality to last. In comparison, the X3 is missing some natural features such as where do I put my keys once I have started the car? I have lost them twice on the black carpet. There used to be a spot on the dash for older models, but this is now missing. BMW still have the Cold/Hot variance switch as a hangover from the very early days. I thought auto temp was to manage this!
The back seat is a bench seat and not comfortable for long hauls. BMW could have easily done better.
For the interior, if you want to see what can be done with the driver and passenger in mind, have a look at the Citroen DS5. The BMW is very very ordinary, even the Audi have done a good job internally.

Run flats tyres give a harsh ride and are expensive. Whilst not having a spare does save on fuel economy, getting a flat tyre in the country or at 5pm on Good Friday evening is a disaster. BMW customer service is useless to help. Make sure you have the number of a 24 hr tyre service and expect to pay about $270+ for the call out.
The new X3 comes with different size rims front & back, (doh! another stupid move for AU). I tried getting replacements and found it difficult to get a set as tyre fitters don’t readily keep that split combination. Also, you cannot just replace 1 tyre if it is punctured and you have notable wear on the others, you have to replace all the tyres as the differential will chew out the transfer case. I found a spare set of rims for $500 which now have standard Coppers tyres for spares.

So, the interior is basic, the ride is harsh, the fuel economy is good and the support service is non-existent. The 3 lt diesel is great and seems very reliable, so far. Lots of power when needed and an Econo mode for most of my driving.

BMWs are expensive to take to an Authorised dealer to get fixed, however there are plenty of excellent garages that will do the job for far less cost. My advice is to do your internet homework on the reviews an select a good mechanic as there are some trashy BM service garages out there. I had a Swiss mechanic for my old BMW 540 who kept it going for 14 years. He was god over the car till he retired.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Excellent BMW X3 xdrive 20d, F25 LCI

This is my first SUV prestige car. The car has currently done 17,000kms. It had its first 15,000kms service at the BMW dealer last month. My car has Msport package so it is comfortable, reliable and has top of the range options. The car has been bought as brand new from the warehouse with zero kms on it. The car was built in December 2015 and has been registered in January 2016. I have used the car mainly for driving to work and driving home from Belconnen to Tuggeranong and drop my missus off in Woden. At the weekend, drive my son to private tutoring and my wife to Canberra centre to work. I have found diesel is economical as I fill up every 18 days that means the diesel has about 10kms left on the car. I would give the car as 5 stars as I have not found any faults or anything that I am unhappy with. I love all the options especially panoramic electric sunroof, headup display, surround cameras (front, rear and sides) with live traffic, Hifi stereo with subwoofer. I have been driven to the Coast, Tuross Head last Easter and Queens birthday with half of the tank. In regard to car servicing, I have got 5 years service FREE so I am very happy with this option. This is the best car I have ever driven and would buy it again when the lease has run out.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Great car - but expensive to maintain.

Bought our X3 3.0d brand new in October 2014. Great car to drive, everything we wanted in a car. The diesel motor is an absolute cracker.

Only downside has been the after sales service. BMW are quick to take your money, but not interested in following up with problems (such as excessive waxing that they put in to the car for shipping).

We have just clocked up 40,000ks in ours, majority of it being freeway driving and have to get new brakes ($3,200) and new tyres ($4,100) from BMW. Personally think that's a bit quick to have to replace these items (the car is driven by my wife - certainly not driven hard).

TransmissionAutomatic

X3 Good drive - very bumpy due to Run Flat tyres - I'd give a 3.5 stars...

First of all, this is my first Beamer X3 2015 to replace my VW Tiguan 20TSI. It is also my first Diesel car.

Pros:
1. Stable drive.
2. Reasonable pickup for a Diesel car
3. Good Torque
4. reasonable space inside the car with a panoramic roof.
5. Vehicle status is monitoring (especially tyre) is a life saver.

Cons:
1. Run flat tires tends to be very bumpy.
2. It is confusing how their climate control works. You have to set the temperature, then there's also a dial you have to set for cool/warm/hot air coming out of the vent. One would think they supposed to be taken care but it's obviously not.
3. The automated wiper is also an oddball. It's not consistent with it's rain sensing capability and randomly it goes fast, slow and hibernate. Pretty strange behaviour.

Suggestions:
1. Get an adaptive suspension. You'll need it.
2. Consider X5 if you think X3 is a little too tight. I have 2 baby seat at the back and it's quite cramp for 3rd person. X5 would have been better option.
3. Make sure you get the Car Service option for about $3000+, giving you 5 years services inlcuded; instead of paying everytime. It'll cost more than just 3 grand.

Thoughts:
My next car will not be X3 or BMW at this stage and might move over to Audi or Merc

BadgexDrive20d Lifestyle

XDrive20D - Reasonable family car but struggling on take off

We had our 20D for over a year. We were one of the first people to buy a new model. I bought it for my wife and our 3 year old. So, it's plenty of space for what we are using it for which is mainly driving around city, doing shopping etc.. we don't go away long distance, so no need to transport a lot of luggage. Having said that I think the back storage compartment is more than adequate to fit several suit cases. My wife really likes high sitting position, which i personally dislike. Compared to my BMW 1series i can't go through corners any fast on x3 since it feels like it will roll over to one side. Major issue that annoys us both is that it just hasn't got that much power on take off from still position. When you press it down it takes off but very jerky and you never know how much to press it down because it takes some moments to kick in and if you overdo it then you'll have too much acceleration in few moments and even some loss of control. Basically we often get a kick in our back when we try to merge into traffic or just taking off lights. Once it took off it accelerates pretty fast though.

Also we upgraded navigation system - which is only available as part of some package, can't remember what it's called now. Anyway, it gave us a bigger screen, which is nice. However, their navigation is not that good. It often makes mistakes and gets lost. My old navman beats it hands down. BMW, please get your act together! Also, I think this upgrade allowed us to stream music wirelessly from our iPhone, which is a great feature and I can't advice more anyone considering any BMW to make sure that it's there.

We also upgraded to seats with lumber support, but I must say their standard seats are quite comfy and I don't think lumber is that useful. We did it because I had some back pains and so it was kind of insurance in case if it helps a little, which it does, just not that much difference really.

Another somewhat concerning thing is that apparently it's ANCAP 4 star rated. I wonder why?

Overall, my wife likes this car because of high seating position and lots of space, yet that it's not too big - for us living in Sydney it's easier to cope with traffic and parking. Our friend bought x5 and although it's only a touch bigger they already smashed their mirror twice, and it's 2K to fix a mirror on x5 :)
Also, she really like heads up display, which was an option.
She doesn't like the lack of power and jerkiness on take off from stand still position - it's a major issue.

I don't like this car altogether. I must say that comparing it to my new much cheaper bmw 1 series 118d, my car has much more dynamic drive, no jerkiness on take off and lots of space because it's a hatch and if I fold back raw seats it becomes simply gigantic.

I suspect if we go into top of the range in x3 then probably the more powerful engine will eliminate the problems with take off. But that's up to you to test, unfortunately that was the only diesel model when we were buying it. We would recommend this car if only not for that issue.

Oh yes, last reminder, if you have kids like we do, make sure you get black leather seats :)

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions!
Space, optional larger screen, optional heads up display, optional ability to stream music wirelessly, dimensions aren't too huge
Issues with jerkiness on take off from stand still position. Have to take it easy on cornering as it's not a sedan.

BadgexDrive20d

Drives great but has lot of problems

The car drives great, handling better than any other cars I had before. Having said that the car has also caused me a lot of headache as there are many faults in my 5 years ownership. some faults, if you search the internet, are the very common of this car. Number one is the transfer case fault, you will get it early or later anyway. If you don't know how to fix it yourself, the fault will set you back for a few thousand dollars and time waiting for repair. Other faults I've come across include screen wiper pumps broke down twice, turbo inlet hose cracked, leaked oil causing alternator belt snapped, side mirror electronics failed (this is a $2000+ replacement) and the original brake pads worn away the rotors like crazy. The good news is if you replace the BMW brake pads with some reputable aftermarket ceramic pads, the pads and rotors will last almost forever.

BadgexDrive30d

Great car until something major goes wrong

My BMW X3 2011 was fantastic until it broke down with major engine failure, taking 2 months for BMW to source the parts and repair the vehicle. Customer service is severely lacking at BMW. It takes days for people to return phone calls, if they do at all.

BMW X3

I love the quality of this vehicle. It is very nice to drive. It is comfortable, well fitted out with quality seats and instrumentation. It looks good. The 2.0 litre diesel has lots of power and is very economical with an average of 5.5 litres per 100kms.
Styling. Fit out. Diesel power.

BadgexDrive20d

A pleasure to drive and even though fuel prices are reasonable high, I just like going for a drive. Its a 4WD in the body of a sports car.
Not too big for just the two of us. The turbo diesel motor + 6 speed auto is a great combination!! My wife thinks it is cute.
Electric seats standard would be a nice touch.

TransmissionAutomatic

We've purchased our X3 3.0si earlier this year, absolutely love it! Excellent performance and quality build as you expect from BMW, highly recommended.
Excellent performance and sporty handling. The X3 is very nimble on the road and not as bulky as its bigger brother X5 and yet very spacious interior. It has an excellent visibility compared with 3-series and other wagon. Very good value for money.

BadgexDrive30i Lifestyle

Good

I have been impressed with my X3 since the day I got it which was nearly four years ago now. I bought this car without having seen it as I had a 330ci but needed a car that would suit transporting a baby so bought this one even though it wasn't released in Australia at the time of ordering. It could have been a disaster but it wasn't. I have loved driving this car. I love that the seating position is just a bit higher than other cars but it isn't like driving a truck. The suspension is a bit stiff and the ride can be a bit hard, but really that is all I could say against this car.
This car is very spacious inside and has a large boot. It has an uncluttered dash. There is a lot of storage. It looks great and is easy to park. Mine has parking sensors front and rear and they are awesome, we were looking for a new car but decided not to bother as nothing else had as many features as our X3.
I think having the children's seat anchor points one third of the way into the boot is ridiculous. It means that you waste a heap of boot space. The ride is very hard in the sports model. The back seat is hideously uncomfortable.