Bosch Hot Water & Heating HydroPower 16H

Bosch Hot Water & Heating HydroPower 16H

Water temperature fluctuates wildly, too hot one minute, not heating water the next.

In March last year (2018) we had a failure in the heating coil in our Bosch 10P instant hot water service (after 20years of faithful service). I rang Origin Energy's replacement service (first mistake) who sent there plumber out to replace the original unit with a Bosch Hydroflo 16H instant hot water service.
We found that the hot and cold water flow couldn't be adjusted to give a comfortable shower, as our original unit had done. The mixed water temperature was either too hot or stone cold. In the warm weather when cold water inlet temperatures are up it's impossible to get a comfortable shower. A year later we are still experiencing problems. The original plumbers have been out several times and they even have had the Bosch gas fitters out to adjust the machine. At one stage they tried to tell me the flow was too low while using a flow-cup too small for the shower head. I measured the flow rate through the shower head into a 9Ltr bucket that filled in 45sec (that's 12litre/minute). Talk about spin.

Purchased in March 2018.

Noise Level
Household Size 3 person(s)
Smells of GasNo
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
Heating Speed
Hi Peter, thanks for taking the time to write a review for this unit. We are so sorry to hear about your issues with your replacement unit. The HydroPower and Pilot models are completely different units with different minimum flow rates, which does affect how they perform and will explain the change in your experience with your hot water delivery. Please be advised that as your unit is still within warranty, we can book a service call for you and work to provide comfortable hot water to you. As we cannot get your details from ProductReview's platform, please get in touch with us at 1300 30 70 37. Our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday to assist you.

Terrible, terrible, terrible

Purchased this unit in august 2018 as a replacement for our old bosch unit. We were advised by the installer that this was the one to get. We had the installation techs out four times in the first few days because it would cease to work. Despite my requests for a different unit it was inferred that the problem was user error !!!! SIx months later the unit takes ages to heat ,goes boiling hot then cold and has to be restarted several times just to get a lukewarm shower. This product has a major design fault and is clearly not fit for sale. Will be replacing as soon as finances allow. Avoid this terrible product.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hi Len, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please be advised to check for any flow restrictors as we recommend using taps with a flow rate of 7.5L/min and shower heads with a flow rate of 9L/min. As your unit is still within warranty, we can organise a service call for you. As we are unable to retrieve your details through ProductReview's site, we recommend you contact our team at 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday and we'll be able to arrange this for you.

Trouble from the beginning.

Unrealibile ignition of both pilot and main burner. Works today but not tomorrow or even now but not in 1 hour. Very sensitive to water pressure. Inserted inline water filter which helped in blocking the filter in the unit. Fortunately we are not entirely reliant on this heater. Reading the other reviews would incline me to replace it rather than get it serviced.

Date PurchasedMar 2000
Hi Sammy, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Please be advised to check for any flow restrictors as we recommend using taps with a flow rate of 7.5L/min and shower heads with a flow rate of 9L/min. Another possible cause could be a gas supply issue. If you'd like to discuss further, our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) to assist with troubleshooting and any further questions you may have. Our toll-free number is 1300 30 70 37.

Water waster, hot then cold

We recently moved into a rental home and cannot believe the performance of the hot water system. Although the unit is directly below the shower it may take up to 4 attempts and many litres of water for the very hot water to flow. The minute the very hot water comes through any attempt to adjust causes the shower to become cold.

The Bosch unit 16H needs to be avoided.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Hi Vicki, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We typically recommend having your unit serviced every two years by a licensed plumber, to ensure correct operation. If you'd like to be put in touch with one of our service agents or have further queries, the home owner can contact us at our toll-free number 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday.

Worst decision ever!

Had to replace my old unit which didn't even last 10 years, stupidly settled on this model. Worst decision ever!! We've nicknamed the unit Katy Perry because it's hot then it's cold. This shower either inflicts 3rd degree burns or induces hypothermia, along the way it wastes a tonne of water. How can a gas hot water system run cold when only the hot water tap is on. Will replace as soon as I can afford to.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi there, we are so sorry to hear about your experience with this unit. Please be advised that if your unit is was purchased in October last year, we will be able to arrange a service call for you as your unit would still be within warranty. Please contact our helpful team any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday at 1300 30 70 37 as we cannot access your contact details through ProductReview.This shouldn't be a matter of warranty, it's not a wear and tear issue, it's a shoddy design issue. It is my submission you have a poorly design, substandard product which you have NO right to sell. Imagine if all of the unhappy customers got together, all with similar complaints owing to the defective design, and lodged a complaint with the FWC or ACCC......? You owe it to your customers to rectify the issue, no matter whether it's still in warranty or not.

shocking, unreliable, waste's heaps of water

replaced old bosch that was not too bad but only lasted 10 years, new unit has been a nightmare, was told by their own techs, (no one can fix it ! that's just how they are ) I'm sick of waiting 10 minutes for it to settle down at 4.00 am every day ! will have to bite the bullet and get another brand that will do what they say it will do , will NOT buy anything that's made in China again. NO quality control !

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Charlie, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Please be advised that if your unit is within warranty, we will be able to arrange a service call for you. Our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday at 1300 30 70 37.

Piece of Rubbish from day One!!!

Water has never been really hot,when having a bath no cold water is ever needed,have been putting up with this for two years. I have contacted Bosch on several occasions but treated rudely each time. Was told that if someone came out and something not under Warranty they would charge costs for travelling time etc.I !! Not good enough Bosch,have been told that it is not a problem of incorrect pump from the water tank. I was told by Bosch that was probably the problem.Will never buy a Bosch appliance again.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Hi Lucei, we’re so sorry to hear about your experience and troubles with this unit. As you may already know, our warranty covers all manufacturing faults. As per our warranty conditions, we are unable to provide our warranty if the issue with the unit is not a manufacturing fault. We recommend having your unit serviced every two years by a licensed plumber. If you would like to discuss further, our team can be reached at our toll-free number 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm during the weekday.

Installation was wrong and minimal support from Bosch when contacted with issue

Our 16H Hydroflow unit was installed just over three years ago by a Bosch certified installer. The installation manual notes that in locations where the temperature goes below 0c a valve should be installed, this was not done by the installer and three years later the heat exchanger cracked due to frost. The installer (Cowra Gas Supplies) came out and informed us that it was a right-off and wasn't under warranty (10 years on the heat exchanger) because the valve wasn't installed and that we should buy a new one from him....yea right. So I was sold a product that was not installed as per specifications by Bosch's rep and he keeps saying it is out of warranty due to the lack of a valve even though it was his fault. Four weeks later and still not resolved, lucky we have friends I can grab a shower at! If this is the state of service provided by Bosch and their representatives, it appears to be pointless.

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Hi Nigel, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience – we truly appreciate your feedback. Based on our understanding of the situation, this issue has since been resolved. If you have any further issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on previously established channels.

H16 junk

Ok moved in to a property that had one of these cold water heaters fitted.......... From first shower started to give problems
Had to start and stop the shower multiple times to finish shower, although sometimes it would pump out scalding water....... Not very helpful.

Then it would just refuse to light the ignition unit would fire but no pilot light.

I checked the output from the water turbine and this was within spec at 1.5v so no problem there.

So i started to investigate.
Things i have now done and unit now seems reliable.

1 used electrical cleaner on the contacts for the control module, is an oil based cleaner that dissolves oxide layer, dispels moisture and then seals out further contamination.
I plugged it on and off a few times to aid cleaning.

2. I have also removed the on/off switch from the circuit as this is next to useless in the outside environment and this was also causing a volt drop.

3. The solenoids that control the pilot and main gas supply rely on an earth return through the body of the burner and case, and as you no aluminum tends to corrode in this type of environment, so i fitted a separate earth return line back to the controller, this had a very good result burner would fire reliably every time.

4. To fix the temperature cycling hot to cold, i watched the burner in operation and it was ramping up from the slight fluctuations from my pump pressure change due to the pressure switch on the pump, but I thought it was not suppling enough heat when pressure was high, hence cold part of the shower, and as the pressure dropped off the gas didn't go low enough hence scalding water.
To fix this I installed a pressure reducer on the water input to the unit and set its pressure at my house water pumps pressure just before it cut in again.
Now i get a reliable constant flow of hot..... And it is nice and hot, hot water so i can add cold water at the mixers for the shower and the sinks to get the right temperature.

I now get a nice relaxing hot shower.

Hope this helps everyone else.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi Jon, thank you for taking the time and effort to leave a review. We are so sorry to hear about the issues you’ve experienced with this unit. We would typically recommend using a constant pressure pump as the unit itself needs constant flow and pressure to operate. As you found out, the pressure reducer you installed solved this issue as it acts as a constant pressure pump. For any further issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our helpful team any time from 8am to 6pm (AEST) during the week at 1300 30 70 37. As your unit is still under warranty, we would be able to book a service call for you.

Stay away from this

This NEW unit was installed by a Plumber on the 31st of May 2018 and the water temperature only got to 38 degrees at the shower head. So we called the Installer, they came had a look, but deemed it to be a Warranty job, so the Bosch agent Plumber came had a look and ordered a part to fix the issue. Two days later that part was replaced but still not hot enough. So a few days later the Bosch agent came and had a look, claimed that the previous agent ordered the wrong part, so he ordered the correct part to give me the hot water e.g. 50 Degrees as claimed by Bosch. Well I called Bosch and they said they will someone out to fix this useless piece of S..T. Well today is the 23rd of June, and I still don't have water which is warmer then 38 degrees. If I don't get it fixed or replaced by Wednesday the 27th of June 2018, which is four weeks with cold water from a unit and installation which cost $1288.49. I will have it pulled out and will drag Bosch trough the fair trade agency.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Lasted 7 years then died.

Has been getting colder for the last few years so technically only lasted 5 years before having problems. Water temperature doesn't keeps fluctuating so your constantly having to adjust between hot and cold. If you have a water save tap it doesn't even kick in to turn on the hot water so I can't get hot water out of my bathroom tap and never have been able to. Don't waste your money.

Date PurchasedJun 2012

Bosch hydrofailure

Bought this 7 years ago and has finally died. After 5 years in service the heat exchanger blew a hole allowing water to escape, Bosch covered the cost of the part but labour was at my expense. Then the water adjustment valve leaked and had to have that repaired. Unit allows fluctuated with heating the water. Cabinet is totally rusted. Updated to a rheem metro 16. When i asked about direct replacement unit for Bosch they recommended the rheem over Bosch.
Good better Bosch? Don't think so

Date PurchasedMar 2010

Moronic gnomes in Siberia would heat water faster...

Simply dreadful and unreliable and insufficient for anyone's needs.
We replaced one we had had for 13 years only to find that the new one does not work. We have not had 'hot' water for a year now and each time we get Bosch involved, it's something to do with the gas lines - or a fiddle with the ignition. It just doesn't heat the water to a normal 'hot' temperature at all, even with the water pressure turned down so that it has more time to heat. It has taken hours of time to sit around waiting for them to come and work on it and still no solution. Be aware that if you install Bosch, the gas pipes are a different diameter to other units (like the fantastic Rinnai we have at another property) so changing to a different brand is expensive because it requires re-plumbing. We are so utterly unimpressed and think that it is a terrible unit. I won't ever buy this brand again and think that we were just stupid not to get a whole new gas pipe fitted (up and over our two-storey home) as in the end it would have caused less angst and at least we would have had hot water...
Back in touch with Bosch again as I can't bear it any longer.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Will NEVER buy Bosch again.

Our water bill has doubled since changing to Bosch HydroPower. Water can sometimes take several minutes to get hot, other times water gets lukewarm then goes cold again so you wait another few minutes for water to heat up. Really annoying when you're rushing to work in the morning & you have to wait several minutes for hot water. Warranty is useless too. Plumbing & Gas Guys will charge me $150.00 call out fee & Bosch will also charge me $155.00 call out fee. Warranty is non existent, Bosch is only interested in being paid, customer service doesn't exist either

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Extreme difficulty balancing shower temp'

Extremely difficult to balance water temperature in shower; hot water often cuts out altogether. Spent so much time and hassle adjusting water temp/flow at unit. (Had nothing to compare its performance with as hot water system had to be replaced soon after purchasing home) NOW I know where the problem lies after reading a previous review here! (Incidentally, due to this I placed my elderly father in a hursing home earlier than necessary ... trying to help him shower became a sheer nightmare. Finding this out years later, I'm very upset!

Date PurchasedNov 2009

have 3 of these in units lpg model

The units give very little trouble, the power igniter and pilot jet are the only 2 things that ever have given trouble in 15y.o units. They are getting a bit rusty now so will buy new units exactly the same.
They are very simple for most handy men to repair.
I can diagnose most problems in a few 2nds amd most is to do with dirty gas.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Cold as my mother in law's kiss

This has been my second Bosch HWS in 10 years and both have been ordinary at best. 16H looks brilliant on paper, no 240v, battery or pilot needed for ignition. But it all stops there.

In actual service it's been reliable as a 2nd hand lawn mower. Bosch was once a respected brand name but I suspect these are rebranded Chinese units. If you require a HWS that will regularly fail to ignite, fail to supply more than one bathroom (even though it's their largest unit) this is for you.

When it prematurely fails the best you can do is sell for scrap. Don't give them any more of your hard earned money to attempt repairs that will only be ill fated. Bosch service will always blame others but our gas supply line diameters and gas meter are correct spec as are water supply lines and delivery spouts are non restricted.

I have foolishly spent thousands of dollars with Bosch and failed miserably. This advice comes to you free. It's your call...

Date PurchasedJul 2012

Bosch HydroPower *** Forget the HydroPower part if the turbine breaks.

I removed the turbine wires from the failed turbine and replaced said turbine with two C cell batteries (3VDC) in a holder - [weblink removed] - and installed - G1/4 Inner Thread Gold Tone Copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A [weblink removed] at the I/C pipe. Make sure you know correct size of your existing incoming pipes.

Duracell C Alkaline Batteries - 4 Pack - around AUD $9 - two batteries is all you require.

Inner Thread Gold Tone Copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A - around AUD $18

Labor in my case free. - depends who you know. Or get a plumber to install it.

The switch will activate when it detects water flow, 3VDC from the two C batteries will power up the unit.

The switch should outlast the unit the C cells might need to be replaced every year or two, rechargeable batteries are also OK.

If quality parts are used the upgrade will last for many years.

1) Hot water tap is turned on.

2) Switch on the coldwater input is activated.

3) power from the batteries powers up the computer and the hot water service.

* The unit was already installed in the house

Date PurchasedFeb 2011
2 D cells will work also JAYCAR 2 X D CELL SIDE BY SIDE Battery Holder CAT.NO: PH9220 copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A at the I/C pipe. Make sure you know correct size of your existing incoming pipes. This has been working for 3 years now

Perfectly fine

We've had a 16H for about 17 years. It has been serviced once in that time. We've never had any trouble to speak of. Very occasionally it doesn't start first time, but you just turn off the tap and turn it back on and it starts okay. This might happen perhaps once or twice a year. For us living on solar power (no mains) it has been perfect.

Date PurchasedApr 2000

Plagued by problems

We have had the system for a few years now so it maybe an older model. But it has broken down many times it has been expensive to repair. I often have to let the shower run for 2 minutes or more before the hot water comes through. In winter it takes ages for the water to be hot rather than just Luke warm. I need a new machine and I would never get one like this again.

Date PurchasedOct 2007

We just bought a Bosch hydropower 16H and I can't seem to get it going, can someone please tell me how to light the system up.
Hi Reginald, thank you for your query. You cannot "light" the system as it is an electronic ignition system. We recommend turning off all your hot water taps and then turning one tap back on at full flow. If this does not trigger your ignition, isolate the valves at the unit for twenty seconds before re-opening and trying the steps above again. If this does not work, you can speak to your installer to see if there is anything they can do to check the installation or alternatively, you can get in touch with us at 1300 30 70 37 from 8am to 6pm during the weekday to discuss doing a warranty call out. Please be advised that there may be charges if there is no product fault so we recommend getting in touch with your installer first if you are still experiencing issues.

Hello, we have been having recurring issues with our system: some days it ignites but will not stay on. On these days we have no hot water for a few hours until it decides to work again. We have called a plumber several times, they have no idea of what's wrong with it. Could anyone help us? That unit has never been working properly. Thanks
Hi Gwendoline, thanks for your question. Whilst our unit does require a minimum flow of water to operate, your issue does sound unusual. Please give us a call at 1300 30 70 37 any time from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) and our friendly team will be able to assist in troubleshooting your issue.

I have the heater at almost to temp and as you try to adjust the cold it just turns the hot water off, so frustrating it's only a couple of years old totally disappointed
Hi Keith, these fluctuations indicate that there is a flow rate issue. If you have changed your tapware recently, this may be the cause of the issue as the unit does require minimum flow rates to operate. Another way to increase water flow is by opening multiple hot water taps - if the fluctuation ceases, then we recommend to check for things such as blockages and aerators being dirty. Otherwise, please call us at 1300 30 70 37 if you have additional questions. Our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) from Monday to Friday to help you out.

HydroPower 16H