Bosch Home Appliances KGN53X70AU (Stainless Steel)

I must be one of the lucky ones

I had no idea of the issues with this fridge, I bought mine in 2011 for a new house along with my Bosch dishwasher and oven. I particularly wanted a largish freezer on the bottom and a stainless exterior. KGN53X70au is still working perfectly, no thermostat issues at all (touch wood), I love the spacious interior and nice layout. Like others have mentioned there is a downside in that there is no warning alarm if the freezer door is left open and that's been the only time/s the freezer compartment has iced up. It is rather noisy sometimes but I just put that down to its age. I found these reviews while looking for a replacement freezer bin as I severely cracked mine by accident the other day by being a bit rough on it. I'm in NZ.

Purchased in August 2011.

Noise Level
Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)
Hi Jacqui,  Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch KGN53X70AU Fridge, we're glad to hear that you've enjoyed your fridge thus far. Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you have any questions feel free to call us on 1300 369 744.  Regards, Bosch Home Australia

Freezer failure

Like the unit nicely set up inside.
Freezer section no longer maintaines temperature, nearest service agent charges $200 for travel plus call charge and first 15 minutes $120, considering 2 service visits plus parts, best est cost to repair $600 to $800, no thanks purchased a replacement. Believe we should have got better service life from the Bosch Fridge: Freezer.

Date PurchasedApr 2010
Hi Rob,  Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X70AU Fridge. if we can be of any help to you feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia

Horrible Fridge

Just like everyone else here. We bought the fridge in 2009 used for 6months then in storage until 2015. We used from 2015 to now may 2018 when we bought a new fridge, from another brand. Overall it was used for less than 4 years. After the years in storage the first year back worked fine, then it started to freeze the vegetable drawer. If I lowered the temperature then the top shelves would be warm. I left a thermometer inside and it registered 14 degrees on top and -2 on the vegetable drawer. I'm glad they discontinued this product.

Date PurchasedDec 2009
Hi Mathew, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch Refrigerator and can appreciate your frustration. If we can be of any assistance to you in future, please feel free to contact BSH NZ. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

It was perfect in the beginning now it’s terrible

I loved the spacious fridge at the beginning but now the salad and fresh vegetables in the salad draw gets ruined regularly from the fridge getting to cold from the freezer below.
And recently the bottom of the freezer forms a large thick layer of ice which makes it hard to slide the draw open and shut. And I’m now worried this is using extra electricity. We had looked at getting the seal replaced but the help line said that would not help. Now we are stuck with a fridge freezer that we are not happy with

Date PurchasedJul 2009
Hi Sam Gia, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at socialmedia.au@bshg.com, listing the problems that you are having and quoting BSH3504 in the subject line. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Good

I love the fridge, especially the two big chiller boxes which works perfect for vegetable and meat, keep them fresh for days. The food in my old fridge always get frozen even in the veggie box, but this never happened with this Bosch fridge. The only complaint is that the freezer is too small, not enough storage space sometimes.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi cwh, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch KGN53X70AU Refrigerator, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Freezer icing up, freezing fridge compartment foods

endless trouble with the sheets of ice forming in the freezer floor, now the contents of the fridge are freezing. Will turn it off for a few days as suggested in another post and hope that fixes the problem. Would not by another Bosch. Have been having problems for a few years.

Date PurchasedJan 2010
Hi HelenM, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please contact our After Sales Support team on 1300 369 744 to discuss further. Regards, BoschHomeAuWell that was useless. You didn't really want to help just to tell me that it's out of warranty this I knew. And that it would cost me to get it repaired. This I also knew. My thing is it's a fault with in the fridge. Would never buy or recommend to any one they buy one.

Worst Fridge Ever!!!

After just 2 years of purchase the door fell off!!! Please don't buy this product. The freezer also was unable to make ice for the longest amount of time. The service centre sent someone who seemed to know less about the product then us. The fridge would regularly heat up.

Date PurchasedApr 2014
Hi Hussain, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please contact our After Sales Support team on 1300 369 744 during business hours. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Worst fridge ever!!!!!

I had problems with it from day one, with in the first week they had to replace the fridge. Now a year and a half later the freezer section doesn't work i had to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of meat due to it defrosting in the freezer section. I had a fisher and pykel for 12 years and did not have any of this, when i got rid of it it was still in perfect working order. I will never buy a bosch ever again they should stick to hand tools. It is loud and very hot on the outsides.

Hi Binnie , Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please contact our After Sales Support team on 1300 369 744 during business hours. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Had freezing veg problem - fixed it!!

I had exactly the same problem, freezing veg, top of fridge stops working. It all came down to excessive icing of the freezer. The cooling mechanism between the fridge and freezer, when this ices up - (due to door not closing properly) it results in the ducting that allows cold air up into the fridge compartment being blocked. The problem is resolved by properly defrosting the fridge. This will take days!!!
I had left fridge off for 2 days and still no joy, so I removed the panels inside the freezer compartment (4 screws) and got stuck in with a hair dryer and butter knife. There was still sheets of ice under the panels and the air duct into the fridge was plugged solid with ice. If you have the time, I'd suggest leaving the fridge for 1 week to defrost with the doors open and bowls of hot water to speed up process. After defrosting all the ice, it works like new now.

1) make sure doors are closing properly, defrost regularly so freezer drawer aren't blocked by ice buildup.
2) if your veg cripser drawers in fridge start icing your veg, its time for a BIG defrost.

Worst purchase ever!

I bought this fridge 3 years and 4 months ago in October 2012. I spent extra on it ($1599) because I wanted a 'good German brand', like everyone else on this site. The fridge performed relatively poorly throughout this time - either it was too cold and the food (especially the vege) froze or, more often than not, it wasn't cold enough and our milk wouldn't last long. And about 2 weeks ago, it just stopped working altogether. It was then I read the reviews on this page. I'm so glad I did. Rather than going through the nightmare and expense of trying to fix it and then it not working again or only working for another 12 months, we instead bought a new fridge for $599!

I would expect a fridge of this brand, at this price to work for at least 10 years without a problem. I can't believe that it only lasted 3 and a bit and that so many people are reporting this issue.

Our lovely, externally perfect Bosch is now sitting on the back verandah lifeless and useless and I'm loathe to even get a repair man to look at it. What a waste of materials and money!

What I want is for Bosch to compensate me for the cost of my new fridge ($800!) which is probably cheaper than getting the compressor replaced on my now discontinued Bosch. And according to Australian Consumer law (see: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund), I am entitled to request this as is every single person on this page, providing they bought their fridges after Jan 2011. It doesn't matter if the warranty has run out.

"It is against the law for businesses to tell you or show signs stating that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales. Your rights under the consumer guarantees do not have a specific expiry date and can apply even after any warranties you’ve got from a business have expired."

and

"You can claim a remedy directly from the manufacturer or importer if the goods do not meet one or more of the following consumer guarantees:

-acceptable quality
-matching description
-any extra promises made about such things like performance, condition and quality
-repairs and spare parts - the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that spare parts and repair facilities (a place that can fix the consumer’s goods) are available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise. How long is ‘reasonable’ will depend on the type of product.

You are only entitled to recover costs from a manufacturer or importer, which include an amount for reduction in the product’s value and in some cases compensation for damages or loss."

Hi Noodle, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at socialmedia.au@bshg.com, listing the problems you are having and quoting BSH207276 in the subject line. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details and a copy of your Purchase Receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Bosch KGN53X70AU Fridge Freezer

I have been very happy with my Bosch Fridge Freezer since day one. It maintains a perfect temperature throughout the fridge and freezer and is very easy to clean and looks great to look at. I especially like the ease of access and the generous amount of shelves and accessories. The freezer bins are easy to slide in and out and hold a good amount of frozen goods. I make ice cream and it is always at the perfect consistency.

Hi Mindy , Thanks for your review. We appreciate your positive feedback about your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator, we are glad to hear that the appliance is serving you well. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact our After Sales Support team on 1300 369 744 during business hours. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Another Victim Here

Like everyone else I thought I was spending more to get some assurance of quality from a reputable European brand. Ditto all the other woes, frozen veggies, milk, etc. freezer draws jamming, blocked by sheet ice. Now after less than three years the fridge has stopped working altogether. I will be interested to see the Bosch response.

Hi Andy, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator and can appreciate your frustration. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at aftersales.AU@bshg.com, listing the problems you're having and quoting BSH206448 in the subject line, or call our After Sales Support team on 1300 369 744 during business hours. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details and a copy of your Purchase Receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Costly mistake in trusting Bosch

Vegetable compartments freezing fruit and Vegs, door not shutting properly. We put up with these inconveniences, then the freezer wouldn't freeze, after three visits from the technician who first said it was a faulty switch then the thermal fuse and finally decided the appliance needs to go to workshop at even more cost. We can't decide whether to risk another several hundred dollars for an appliance which may stop functioning again. We have Bosch washer, dryer and dishwasher but will never buy Bosch again and will advise friends not to bother also

Hi Vicky, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator and can appreciate your frustration at the potential costs to repair your appliance. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at MEL-ASS-Management@bshg.com, listing the problems you are having and quoting BSH205799 in the subject line, or call our After Sales Support team on 1300 369 744 during business hours. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details and a copy of your Purchase Receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAuHas anyone who had issues with the Bosch KG 53XOO AU had the problem resolved by Bosch? I'm in New Zealand and am still battling with the Bosch representatives to own up to the fact that there is a fault with this unit. The most I have been offered so far is for a representative to check the unit and if a manufactures fault is found Bosch will pay the costs,if not then I have to pay. This could be hundreds of dollars which I'm not prepared to pay. I'm thinking of contacting Bosch headquarters in Germany.

The most expensive and the most horrible fridge I've ever had

This fridge came as part of our apartment purchase, but we still had to pay extra for it. After 1.5 years, the fridge had the first issue, where it stopped working and was at room temp. All of the food was wasted. It was still under warranty so we got it fixed. The technician said it was the temperature sensor and he changed it and fixed it. 3 months later, it happened again. This time the technician said it may not be the temp sensor and he didnt know what it was, but will investigate, nonetheless he changed the temp sensor and it worked again. Again, 3 months later, the issue started to happen again. We called the technician and he still didnt have the answer for the issue. Go figure. We then rented our apartment with the fridge because it was part of the apartment fixture, and in 1 year, this fridge has given us more headache than anything. I am so regretful of this purchase and given how hard it is to get the technician in (especially now that it's not under warranty) I am just thinking of throwing this fridge out and get another brand that's cheaper (and most likely more reliable) than pretty fridge that's useless and has been giving us grief. I have had a lot of other cheaper brands and never ever had this issue ever. Seriously Bosch I thought you were a good brand. I am so disappointed of your brand and definitely your contracted technicians are also questionable! Please let me know if I can exchange my fridge with a new one, I know I may have to pay more, although I really think it would be unfair and whether I should be getting another one of your fridge given all the grief.

Hi Mia, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator and can appreciate your frustration that these issues have not been resolved after a number of service calls. Could you please provide us with your Customer Reference Number so we can identify your service history in our system and get in touch to assist you further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Not happy...

Bought in 2011. Did not last longer than 3 and a half years. Hundreds of dollars down the drain replacing the compressor and then thermostat sensors. Still not working. Very disappointed.

Dear Janet, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator and can appreciate your frustration at the amount you have spent having it repaired for it to now not be working again. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at MEL-ASS-Management@bshg.com, listing the problems you are having and quoting BSH202896 in the subject line, or call our After Sales Support team on 1300 368 339 during business hours. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details, a copy of your Purchase Receipt and a copy of your Service Repair receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Water freezing in the bottom of the freezer section

Like so many people on this website that have bought this fridge , I also am now having problems with it...magically just after the warranty has run out!! I called Bosch customer service (and btw, don't waste your time - they told me that Bosch don't have any technicians available in Australia you can talk to about the problem). You have to call their third party service agents, who of course only want to charge you for every second of assistance. We have a full Bosch kitchen and laundry, bought at considerable expense.
My advice to anyone is don't buy a Bosch fridge. I doubt it is German engineering in any case. Probably outsourced to some cut price Asian manufacturer.
Bosch - take note you have blown it with me and I will make sure I tell anyone I can of this and refer them to this website for other reviews.

Hi Jim, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We can appreciate your disappointment at the costs required to investigate and potentially repair your Refrigerator, however these are complex machines that require maintenance and occasional services to continue performing optimally over their lifetime. While you're outside your warranty period, we're always happy to investigate, so could you please send us and email at MEL-ASS-Management@bshg.com, listing the problems you are having and quoting BSH202495 in the subject line, or call our After Sales Support team on 1300 368 339 during business hours. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details and a copy of your Purchase Receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Very disappointed, so much food waisted! What is Bosch doing about this model's so popular issue?

I'm speechless after reading so many complaints! And every problem that people had been complaining about is so (sadly) familiar! Hips of food waisted! Veggies frozen in the crisper drawers while meat has gone rotten because the rest of the refrigerator compartment is not cold enough! I have been maintaining this fridge as best as I could since we bought it in Oct 2011, my partner has been mocking me because I spent so many hours keeping it sparkling clean, trying to counteract all that damages caused by the wrong temperature in it. I tried removing the drawers so that the air would have pass through and kept fresh everywhere in the fridge, but of course that just made the fridge messy and I lost the place with the best temperature for my veggies! Wanna talk about weird noises?! At first it started doing them in the middle of the night, believe it or not I got up from bed because it really sounded like something very heavy just dropped on the floor! I couldn't imagine that it was my fidge doing that noise! Furthermore all the problems began once the warranty was over..of course! At first I sincerely though that the moving crew did something wrong with the fridge, but now reading all the complaints I realized that it wasn't their fault, (nor mine) but BOSCH's! These are not isolated cases, how can you say that "a minority" experienced these problems?! If the problem is due to the thermostat (as in AndrewM's case), why don't BOSCH just replace them, so we can get what we paid for? A working refrigerator!
When we purchased this refrigerator we decided to spend more in order to buy a Bosch appliance because we trusted the brand. What a mistake we've made!

Dear Valy, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU Refrigerator and can appreciate your frustration. Although your refrigerator is out of warranty we'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at MEL-ASS-Management@bshg.com, listing the problems you are having and quoting BSH202466 in the subject line, or call our After Sales Support team on 1300 368 339 during business hours. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details and a copy of your Purchase Receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

After sales girl denied there was a problem with this model....

Big problem with this model but when I called After Sales they denied there was one....the irony is that I only stated that 'my Bosch fridge is freezing my veggies' and wizzo she knew straight away which model....I hadn't even got to that stage.....she offered me a service call for $90 and a free 15 minutes....I offered her a letter from 'Office of Fair Trading' and she seemed very happy with that.....I discovered that my Bosch fridge was manufactured in 2008 and sold to me 29/12/2010, it has been a problem from day one with the freezer door not closing properly and it was a very expensive appliance .....I was hoping that spending more would get me the best....not so Bosch....shame on you for your denial that there is a problem....this model should have been recalled and you know it......you haven't heard the last of me

Hi Cara, Thank you for your feedback regarding your Bosch KGN53X70AU Refrigerator. We are sorry to hear that you are unsatisfied with your refrigerator and the decision made regarding service repairs. We can appreciate your disappointment with the issues you have expressed. However we stand by the quality of our products and assure you that the issues you have experience are a minority. We are concerned that these issues have coloured your perception of Bosch as a brand and would like to help you further. Could you please contact our After Sales Support team on 1300 368 339 during business hours so we are able to investigate further. Regards BoschHomeAu Hi Bosch official........your after sales girl was not interested in my plight....she KNEW exactly which 'MODEL' I was referring to and let me inform you of something, 1 complaint is bad for business if your company avoids the issues that this 'Model' clearly has. Being in a minority isn't helping my situation at all I don't need your statistics thrown at me I need the goods that I purchased from your company to be what they should be.....'Come to the Party' Bosch official and act accordingly and professionally.Hi Cara, We'd like to identify your record so could you please provide us with your Customer Reference Number? Thanks, BoschHomeAu

I hate this fridge!!!

Ive now had this fridge for three years and i hate it ! Like all other reviewers, I have had my crisper drawers ice up wasting too much valuable food. I started having this problem within a week of owning this fridge but managed to get around it by placing a plastic chopping board at the bottom of each drawer to insulate the veggies. While this has worked, it comes at a price. To avoid the draws from icing up even with the extra insulation, you have to have the settings quite low which means that nothing is ever very cold. It's lucky that we're vegetarians in our house because I don't think you could keep meat fresh!
The handles on this fridge are also annoying. For a couple of years now, we've had to routinely tighten the screws that hold them on as they constantly loosen. The handles are very flimsy anyway, they are cracked and look shabby.
All of these things we have lived with and just tried to ignore but now, I'm fed up. While trying to get something out of bottom freezer draw this morning, a new major problem has arisen. The draw seemed stuck on one side so I gave it a tug and a pice of the draw snapped off and has sliced my hand open!!! I managed to free the draw and realise now why it wouldn't open, it was frozen to the floor of the freezer. For some reason, there was a 1cm thick sheet of ice in there!!!
I'm really disappointed with this fridge, especially with its mighty price tag. I only replaced my perfect 10 year old white LG one because I wanted to update to a stainless model, what a mistake! The name Bosch always conjured ideas of quality, now I'm not so sure. Since owing this fridge with only moderate treatment, we have a broken chiller safe, cracked lower door bin and now a very broken freezer door (not to mention a bleeding hand!). This was an expensive fridge to start with, now I'm going to have to she'll out to fix and replace these items too.

Dear Hayley, Thanks for your review, we really appreciate your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that you're having issues with your Bosch KGN53X70AU Refridgerator. We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please send us an email at aftersales.au@bshg.com, listing the problems you are having and quoting BSH202108 in the subject line, or call our After Sales Support team on 1300 368 339 during business hours. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number in your email, any supporting photos, your contact details and a copy of your Purchase Receipt so we can investigate further. Regards, BoschHomeAu

Double door freezer

Reading all these reveiws and the feedback from bosch , i have not seen anyone post what this problem is, my fridge is doing the exact same as all these other complaints , freezing everything in the crisper and wasting a s*%t load of food. What is the problem with this, it is not "isolated incidents " as you say. Bosch has a major flaw with this fridge and it should be fixed. This has been going on with mine for months and i have just been defrosting it myself , works again ok for a few months then begins freezing everything again. Bosch we need an answer as this product/model is bad

Freezes everything in the lower fridge

Hi Tim, Thanks for your review - we appreciate your feedback. We understand the frustration you have been having with the Bosch KGN53X70AU and want to help resolve your issues. We'd like to investigate and assist you in getting the best performance from your fridge. Could you please email us at aftersales.au@bshg.com as soon as possible. Please include the model number (including variant) FD and serial number (all this information can be found on a sticker on the wall of your fridge when you remove the crisper) in your email and a copy of your Purchase Receipt. This will enable us to assist you more quickly. Regards, BoschHomeAuHad the guy come out to fix this and the fridge was working fine on all readings but as i suspected there was a $4 gasket that was not in place and was allowing the freezer air into the crisper section even when the baffle was shut, have since had no problems (about a month) since this was installed. As i first suspected this looks like a recall should have been done on these fridges due to this gasket not being in place. But so far it has been fixed. The gasket was behind the panel in lower section of the fridge.Hi Tim, Thanks for the follow up post. We're glad that you've been able to identify the problem. Please do not hesitate to contact our After Sales service on 1300 368 339 if you have any further need. Regards, BoschHomeAu

See all Bosch KGN53X00AU / KGN53X70AU reviews