Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Bosch Random Orbit Sander (page 2 of 2)

PEX 400 AE, PEX 300 AE, GEX 125 AC Professional, PEX 270 AE

2.7

TinHead

TinHeadAdelaide

Poorly designed product. Avoid.

Older Swiss made was a solid machine

Very good machine, but with a disclaimer: I purchased mine a number of years back and it was made in Switzerland, and I have no clue what their quality is like now, so my advice might only be applicable to second hand. But it's a great machine. I've even done absurd things like polish a full terrazzo floor with it. The dust extraction isn't the greatest, and it has chucked a disc once (ever) - after I put it on not realizing it was caked in dust.

Great sander

The problem with this particular sander is now over. I have spent 7 days drywall sanding with this model. Other than small for the job i am doing, the PEX 400 is brilliant and not once as the disc come off. My main problem is that the vacuum cannot keep up with the sander

Frustratingly disappointing.

This machine is fabulous for the first year. Then the sandpaper discs start throwing off.. so I get a new disc attachment as the surface has gone too smooth and wont hold the sandpapers on. Carry on.. then it happens again..so buy a new disc attatchment.. Carry on.. and the whole disc attatchment starts throwing off. So I buy a new disc attatchment. It throws off as soon as its put on.. then find out that the thread is bare on the centre screw. Another $150 to fix all up apparently..so now have to buy a new sander..All this from a sander thats only 3 years old.

jd

jdcessnock

sorry i bought it

PaulSSouth East Queensland, QLD

Mildly functional but flawed. But disc throwing problem is solved.

Jeff

JeffBendigo

Great sander

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews for this. Having read some of them, the person has used this sander for jobs it was not intended. My own experience is very positive. I have never had a disc throw or dislodge itself. Granted, the dust collector is essentially useless but my $79 ryobi shop vacuum fits it perfectly (also bought at good old Bunnings). I make furniture and built in robes, wall panels etc and this sander gives me smooth, even finishes perfect for painting, staining etc. I only mark it down for the dust collector.

Not Great

It's a cheap, lightweight random orbital, and you get what you pay for. I build beehives and cabinets - this sander makes my arm numb after a half hour. The "micro filter" box is useless, although with a wrap of duct tape you can get the dust port to connect with a standard shopvac hose. The thing throws discs like that's it's primary function. I've replaced the pad three times and it still throws discs, and once it's thrown a disc, the hooks on the pad die and you need a new pad. Fork out a bit more cash for something better. I wish I had.

DVWAU

great for DIY

I have only used this a few times but it does work very well if used correctly. I have read bad reviews of this product, most attributed to sandpaper 'flying off'. To test this I applied more downward pressure than needed and, sure enough the paper became detached. These machines only need very slight pressure to work correctly and I cannot fault the sanding capability with all grades of paper. It appears well made but if you are a professional tradesman I would buy the Blue Bosch. all in all this does the job for an excellent price.

Bosch bullbleep

As with most companys these days-they sell before they proof test.
So - I have the disc problem as well.replacement is too costly. the motor and all works, so will continue to badmouth the company to all who listen. Will do a stickon velcro and use till it dies - then not replace, Bosch has lost my good will ; I expect more from my suppliers.

Squealing, rubbish bearings

Throws sanding discs and is very dusty but does an excellent job when it works.

Very disappointed with this machine in two ways - I am on my second base plate (genuine bosch) at a cost of 39.00 and will not be buying another one. The dust filter is useless and falls off easily. The machine when working does an excellent job but the frustration of dusting off the plate and trying different sanding pads including genuine bosch (expensive) and throwing out more than I can count because they fly off and in turn become so dusty they won't stick and again clog up the plate velcro. Unfortunately I am probably going to resort to buying a cheap brand as they do offer a good warranty usually and will replace if anything goes wrong. Thankyou

Won't hold sanding disks

DO NOT BUT THE BOSCH PEX 400 AE. Any tool that costs over $150 should not be this sensitive. After using it for 3 months it throws all brand new disks immediately after application. Highly disappointing. The cost of replacement pads is prohibitive.

And also the design doesn't allow to attach it to a shop vac so be ready for dusty dusty as the microfilter is a bit of a gimmick.

Didn't last 6 months!

I have had this sander less than six months and I am already ready to scrap it. Like many other users have described, this sander keeps throwing pads. On top of this, the filter is useless. It catches some of the dust for a while, then releases it again in a cloud when you change the position you are sanding in.
This sander's lack of longevity is a surprise as I am not using it that regularly. I am a home handyman and only use it about once a fortnight/month. Even so it has lasted less than six months. What a piece of rubbish. I should have gone the Makita equivalent or even the Ozito as some other people have suggested.
Smooth operation.
Throws pads and emties the contents of the filter over the user.

Joots

JootsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great little DIY sander

I do a lot of DIY projects & this little sander has proved to be quite the work horse, with plenty of power to get the job done. It makes a boring job quick & easy. It is reasonably light weight, with a comfortable grip & easy to handle, the sanding discs are quick to change, & the speed is altered with just a brush of the thumb.
Light-weight, powerful, easy to use.
Must take care changing the sanding disc, as the velcro grip on the discs is stronger than the glue to the base of the machine.

Julie

JulieMildura

Parts very hard to find!

Paul C.

TheRegularGuy
papa05

papa05Perth

Bosch Orbital Sander

Excellent - it is powerful and just goes and goes, does the work of much bigger sanders and is economical on sanding sheets. It's capability in doing finishing sanding is very professional. However, mine is about 15 to 20 years old and I have worn the velcro from the sanding pad and I can't find where to get a new one.
Reliable, powerful, ease of use, speed range for different sanding tasks.
The velcro can wear off or be damaged.

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander reviews