Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Bosch Random Orbit Sander (page 2 of 3)

PEX 400 AE, PEX 300 AE, GEX 125 AC Professional, PEX 270 AE

Pros

• Completes large jobs efficiently

• Easy to control

• Wide range of speed control

Cons

• Can throw discs before they're worn out

• Ineffective dust collection system

Very good sander, one of the best I have ever used

Bosch GEX 125 AC Professional is in the top two sanders i have ever used. The one that i like more is the Festool 57187, because of the higher stability it offers. Got the Bosch GEX 125 sander as an recommendation from BestRandomOrbitSanders website and I am really thankful to these guys!

Date PurchasedApr 2009
CoreyHolitt

CoreyHolittSydney

Bottom end of the market, but it gets the job done

I am just a DIYer, I knew an orbital sander would help me get a better finish on my projects, but can't really fork out for sanders at the top of the market. I have been really impressed with this unit, the adjustable power output is a nice feature and the dust collection does an ok job, better than my 1/3 sheet makita anyway.

I should say that I didn't get much help from Bunnings Brendale while selecting this, the staff member in the tool shop didn't seem to know too much about the sanders in their lineup. Tho i have also got great helpful service there when buying a drill, guess it's just hit and miss.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Frustrated.

Not a bad sander, onto my 3rd base pad as the Velcro wears very quickly, major problem, call center not very helpful,the other problem is with this review, I only needed 22 words but I couldn't post it until I had written 50, also very frustrating, regards Craig, good bye

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Hugh

HughCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Throws sanding discs. Velcro not fit for purpose.

As others have found these Bosch 400 sanders throw the sanding discs. Very poor velcro attachment plate used on backing pad. Not fit for purpose IMHO. I've already replaced it twice with the Bosch OEM backing pads, no better, they go bad soon after. Bosch OZ know about this problem yet have not offered to replace these defective parts nor owned up to the issue. Very poor IMHO. Web searches reveal this is a common issue.
Their response is to tell readers to call their helpline where you will be told crap by someone who knows nothing and offered nothing useful as a remedy. I will not be buying another Bosch orbital sander not will I recommend them.

Date PurchasedJune 2015
Chris4747

Chris4747SYDNEY

Throws pads after a while

Brought two to renovate the inside of the house. Both throw pads now after working for approx 12 hours. Do not buy useless. The basic function of a sander is to sand this doesn't do that one the pad loses ability to hold pads. Would not buy this type of sander again

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Frank16Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Speedy and efficient sander

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
TinHead

TinHeadAdelaide

Poorly designed product. Avoid.

Older Swiss made was a solid machine

Very good machine, but with a disclaimer: I purchased mine a number of years back and it was made in Switzerland, and I have no clue what their quality is like now, so my advice might only be applicable to second hand. But it's a great machine. I've even done absurd things like polish a full terrazzo floor with it. The dust extraction isn't the greatest, and it has chucked a disc once (ever) - after I put it on not realizing it was caked in dust.

Great sander

The problem with this particular sander is now over. I have spent 7 days drywall sanding with this model. Other than small for the job i am doing, the PEX 400 is brilliant and not once as the disc come off. My main problem is that the vacuum cannot keep up with the sander

Frustratingly disappointing.

This machine is fabulous for the first year. Then the sandpaper discs start throwing off.. so I get a new disc attachment as the surface has gone too smooth and wont hold the sandpapers on. Carry on.. then it happens again..so buy a new disc attatchment.. Carry on.. and the whole disc attatchment starts throwing off. So I buy a new disc attatchment. It throws off as soon as its put on.. then find out that the thread is bare on the centre screw. Another $150 to fix all up apparently..so now have to buy a new sander..All this from a sander thats only 3 years old.

jd

jdcessnock

sorry i bought it

PaulS

PaulSSouth East Queensland, QLD

Mildly functional but flawed. But disc throwing problem is solved.

Jeff

JeffBendigo

Great sander

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews for this. Having read some of them, the person has used this sander for jobs it was not intended. My own experience is very positive. I have never had a disc throw or dislodge itself. Granted, the dust collector is essentially useless but my $79 ryobi shop vacuum fits it perfectly (also bought at good old Bunnings). I make furniture and built in robes, wall panels etc and this sander gives me smooth, even finishes perfect for painting, staining etc. I only mark it down for the dust collector.

Not Great

It's a cheap, lightweight random orbital, and you get what you pay for. I build beehives and cabinets - this sander makes my arm numb after a half hour. The "micro filter" box is useless, although with a wrap of duct tape you can get the dust port to connect with a standard shopvac hose. The thing throws discs like that's it's primary function. I've replaced the pad three times and it still throws discs, and once it's thrown a disc, the hooks on the pad die and you need a new pad. Fork out a bit more cash for something better. I wish I had.

DVW

DVWAU

great for DIY

I have only used this a few times but it does work very well if used correctly. I have read bad reviews of this product, most attributed to sandpaper 'flying off'. To test this I applied more downward pressure than needed and, sure enough the paper became detached. These machines only need very slight pressure to work correctly and I cannot fault the sanding capability with all grades of paper. It appears well made but if you are a professional tradesman I would buy the Blue Bosch. all in all this does the job for an excellent price.

Bosch bullbleep

As with most companys these days-they sell before they proof test.
So - I have the disc problem as well.replacement is too costly. the motor and all works, so will continue to badmouth the company to all who listen. Will do a stickon velcro and use till it dies - then not replace, Bosch has lost my good will ; I expect more from my suppliers.

Squealing, rubbish bearings

Sue

SueGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Throws sanding discs and is very dusty but does an excellent job when it works.

Very disappointed with this machine in two ways - I am on my second base plate (genuine bosch) at a cost of 39.00 and will not be buying another one. The dust filter is useless and falls off easily. The machine when working does an excellent job but the frustration of dusting off the plate and trying different sanding pads including genuine bosch (expensive) and throwing out more than I can count because they fly off and in turn become so dusty they won't stick and again clog up the plate velcro. Unfortunately I am probably going to resort to buying a cheap brand as they do offer a good warranty usually and will replace if anything goes wrong. Thankyou

Won't hold sanding disks

DO NOT BUT THE BOSCH PEX 400 AE. Any tool that costs over $150 should not be this sensitive. After using it for 3 months it throws all brand new disks immediately after application. Highly disappointing. The cost of replacement pads is prohibitive.

And also the design doesn't allow to attach it to a shop vac so be ready for dusty dusty as the microfilter is a bit of a gimmick.

Didn't last 6 months!

I have had this sander less than six months and I am already ready to scrap it. Like many other users have described, this sander keeps throwing pads. On top of this, the filter is useless. It catches some of the dust for a while, then releases it again in a cloud when you change the position you are sanding in.
This sander's lack of longevity is a surprise as I am not using it that regularly. I am a home handyman and only use it about once a fortnight/month. Even so it has lasted less than six months. What a piece of rubbish. I should have gone the Makita equivalent or even the Ozito as some other people have suggested.
Smooth operation.
Throws pads and emties the contents of the filter over the user.

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander reviews

Gonzoasked

Random Orbit Sander GEX 125 AC Professional

Sander runs with no load but slows to a stop when placed on work??

Gonzoasked

Random Orbit Sander GEX 125 AC Professional

Sander runs with no load but slows to a stop when placed on work??

jae k.
jae k.

Yes I have had that sort of things happened before once after using 6~7months.
But I thought that happened my casual worker press too hard down.
So I just replaced.
It was under $100 not like $260 or even $700 like fesco?.
It is cost effective way.

Anastasios
Anastasios

Hello, I had the same issue, opened it up to check if the bearing was in working order but the bearing was fine. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my sander, very disappointed since it was relatively new and not used too much. Check YouTube , it might help you. Cheers

Gonzo

Hi, shorted out speed controller and a lot better, but not perfect

Reuben W.

Reuben W.asked

Random Orbit Sander PEX 270 AE

Dust is not going into filter why?

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander questions

Get an answer from our members and Bosch Power Tools representatives

Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Features:

• The Bosch Random Orbit Sander has a 370W motor that gives it the power to deliver fine finishes on medium and large work surfaces.
  • It has variable speed control which lets you choose the perfect speed for the job you’re doing and the material you’re sanding.
  • The power tool has an ergonomic design that lets you work horizontally, vertically, and overhead, giving it the versatility needed for all kinds of jobs.
  • It can perform both sanding and polishing, both for flat and curved surfaces, so you can use the same tool throughout your whole restoration job.
  • It’s suitable for working on wood, plaster, painted, polished, and varnished surfaces.
  • The sander can go from 4,000 to 26,000 oscillations per minute.

What did reviewers think of the Bosch Random Orbit Sander?

Reviews were well and truly mixed about Bosch’s random orbital sander. Among the positive feedback, the sanding tool’s power output and variable speed control was praised, with reviewers saying that it helped them get medium to large-sized jobs done in a relatively short amount of time.

The sander’s stability was also appreciated, with reviewers noting that it was easy to control and reasonably lightweight.

A notable pain point among negative reviews had to do with the discs, with some reviewers staying that the sander threw them off the head well before they had worn out - this made using the tool inconvenient and costly for them.

Another pain point was that the dust collection system was ineffective - reviewers said it didn’t catch much dust, and frequently fell off the tool.

Compare all 4 Bosch Random Orbit Sander