Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Pros

• Completes large jobs efficiently

• Easy to control

• Wide range of speed control

Cons

• Can throw discs before they're worn out

• Ineffective dust collection system

AnastasiosGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Base plate stopped moving

Bought sander, after some light use, the base plate stopped moving but the motor turns over. Opened up the sander and it was pretty clean inside, the bearing was clean and functional. Very disappointed in this machine, hardly used , $150 down the drain. I'm baffled to why the base plate doesn't move or freezes when about to sand when pressure is applied to it. Spent hours investigating it by opening it up, and even if I find the faulty part, the expense of fixing it is not worth it- better to buy another brand

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $150.00.

Monica

Monica

Don’t buy this

Almost from new the sander threw the Velcro sanding pads off the head well before the abrasive wears out. Don’t expect a new head to help you, the pads will soon throw again. I resorted to gluing the pad on, which worked for a while. Now the whole head comes loose no matter how tightly you do up the Allen screw. Not throwing good money after bad, I’m cutting my losses and throwing it out.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

Pete

PeteSydney, NSW

Throws discs

Like other reviewers I purchased this sander understanding it was a middle of the range Option but reasonably good. After three fairly small jobs undertaken in line with manufacturers recommendations for speed etc it now throws discs within minutes of commencing a sanding and they cannot be reattached. It makes it an expensive task as the sanding surface has plenty of life left in it but the attaching face fails.

Spend the extra and buy a better brand. You’ll be ahead in the long run.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $188.00.

Connie

ConnieSydney, NSW

Terrible Sander with a massive dust bag issue

It’s a good Sander Absolutely but the dust bag comes off all the time!! And I am working in a workshop which means it’s super dusty!
It’s not acceptable at all! Very disappointed

Jack

Jack

USELESS PIECE OF JUNK.

Purchased recently and used intermittently on very small jobs for fine work,I have other sheet sanders for large work,however when working with this thing{sander] the other day it just stopped working,I picked it up to start and no go,very unhappy with this as it was not cheap and has only lasted a short time on very light work,absolutely useless thing,thought Bosch was better than what I have paid for.

Purchased at Mitre 10 for $145.00.

Bosch Power Tools
GracieBosch Power Tools
suen

suenSydney, NSW

Throws discs, hard to empty

Wish I'd read these reviews before I bought mine...
-Dust collection box is hard to remove and clean and sometimes pops off while you are sanding. ..and the o ring broke so I had to order another.
-The biggest problem is that it's been throwing discs since I bought it and now they don't adhere at all - this seems to be a common issue
-I'm ordering another backing plate now and will see whether this fixes it.
-If not then I will provide another update here and will never buy another Bosch power tool again. This one has major design flaws. Just goes to show that paying a premium doesn't automatically get you quality.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

Bosch Power Tools
GracieBosch Power Tools
magicrobot

magicrobot

This sander sands like a boss

I bought a new Ryobi sander specifically for this large job i had to do - sanding 5 light years of cornice glue off an entire ceiling off a sprawling house that we were going to put another ceiling straight over top of. Anyway the Ryobi died after a couples of hours so I drove straight to Bunnings and replaced it with the Bosch. OMG unbelievable difference, the Bosch ripped through the old cornice glue like it was made from meringue cake base. The discs do come off every now and then which is a bit annoying, but weirdly for me they were coming off when the sanding discs were ready to change. The filter seems to work well but the design is crap for getting it on and off (hence the 4 stars)
I would buy another in a heartbeat

Purchased in June 2018.

JohnnyRamrod

JohnnyRamrod

Great for what it is...

This is a decent little sander. Not high end, but not a high end price so that's ok. As a working sander, it really does that. It works. I have almost no issue with it. Solid performer. Highly recommend, provided one thing... You better not be too worried about how the dust catching system functions. Because basically it doesn't. The thing falls off with the slightest bump, but it's ok because it pretty much never caught the dust.

I'm still fine with it - i just use it outside and use a mask. Something I do for most work, so no issue for me. So I still rate it a 4 star for price etc - just know what you are buying.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
Jim

JimVenus Bay

Dont waste your money

Had one of these for a short time, the thing started to vibrate, i couldnt work out what the problem was, turned out the single bolt that holds the sanding pad onto the sander had worked itself loose and as the surround of the base pad is plastic and the cog it attaches to is metal the metal destroyed the pad fitting rendering it useless. This was just out of warranty and Bosch were not interested in helping out in any way. Even though this is a design fault and not a wear and tear issue.The replacement pads are around $45 not cheap if the sander keeps destroying them.
No more Bosch fo me thanks.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Bad customer service.

Go to Bosch Australia try to get spare parts cant order through them what a joke think may have to use different manufacturer didn't mind the tools but if you cant get help from them what's the point cant order through dealer as the cost of replacing the sanding pads all the time gets to dear with dealer mark up and takes to long to get part in.

Date PurchasedApr 2015
CoreyHolitt

CoreyHolittSydney

Bottom end of the market, but it gets the job done

I am just a DIYer, I knew an orbital sander would help me get a better finish on my projects, but can't really fork out for sanders at the top of the market. I have been really impressed with this unit, the adjustable power output is a nice feature and the dust collection does an ok job, better than my 1/3 sheet makita anyway.

I should say that I didn't get much help from Bunnings Brendale while selecting this, the staff member in the tool shop didn't seem to know too much about the sanders in their lineup. Tho i have also got great helpful service there when buying a drill, guess it's just hit and miss.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Chris4747

Chris4747SYDNEY

Throws pads after a while

Brought two to renovate the inside of the house. Both throw pads now after working for approx 12 hours. Do not buy useless. The basic function of a sander is to sand this doesn't do that one the pad loses ability to hold pads. Would not buy this type of sander again

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Frank16Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Speedy and efficient sander

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
TinHead

TinHeadAdelaide

Poorly designed product. Avoid.

Older Swiss made was a solid machine

Very good machine, but with a disclaimer: I purchased mine a number of years back and it was made in Switzerland, and I have no clue what their quality is like now, so my advice might only be applicable to second hand. But it's a great machine. I've even done absurd things like polish a full terrazzo floor with it. The dust extraction isn't the greatest, and it has chucked a disc once (ever) - after I put it on not realizing it was caked in dust.

jd

jdcessnock

sorry i bought it

Jeff

JeffBendigo

Great sander

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews for this. Having read some of them, the person has used this sander for jobs it was not intended. My own experience is very positive. I have never had a disc throw or dislodge itself. Granted, the dust collector is essentially useless but my $79 ryobi shop vacuum fits it perfectly (also bought at good old Bunnings). I make furniture and built in robes, wall panels etc and this sander gives me smooth, even finishes perfect for painting, staining etc. I only mark it down for the dust collector.

DVW

DVWAU

great for DIY

I have only used this a few times but it does work very well if used correctly. I have read bad reviews of this product, most attributed to sandpaper 'flying off'. To test this I applied more downward pressure than needed and, sure enough the paper became detached. These machines only need very slight pressure to work correctly and I cannot fault the sanding capability with all grades of paper. It appears well made but if you are a professional tradesman I would buy the Blue Bosch. all in all this does the job for an excellent price.

Bosch bullbleep

As with most companys these days-they sell before they proof test.
So - I have the disc problem as well.replacement is too costly. the motor and all works, so will continue to badmouth the company to all who listen. Will do a stickon velcro and use till it dies - then not replace, Bosch has lost my good will ; I expect more from my suppliers.

Squealing, rubbish bearings

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander reviews

Gonzoasked

Random Orbit Sander GEX 125 AC Professional

Sander runs with no load but slows to a stop when placed on work??

Gonzoasked

Random Orbit Sander GEX 125 AC Professional

Sander runs with no load but slows to a stop when placed on work??

jae k.
jae k.

Yes I have had that sort of things happened before once after using 6~7months.
But I thought that happened my casual worker press too hard down.
So I just replaced.
It was under $100 not like $260 or even $700 like fesco?.
It is cost effective way.

Anastasios

Hello, I had the same issue, opened it up to check if the bearing was in working order but the bearing was fine. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my sander, very disappointed since it was relatively new and not used too much. Check YouTube , it might help you. Cheers

Gonzo

Hi, shorted out speed controller and a lot better, but not perfect

Reuben W.

Reuben W.asked

Random Orbit Sander PEX 270 AE

Dust is not going into filter why?

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander questions

Get an answer from our members and Bosch Power Tools representatives

Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Features:

• The Bosch Random Orbit Sander has a 370W motor that gives it the power to deliver fine finishes on medium and large work surfaces.
  • It has variable speed control which lets you choose the perfect speed for the job you’re doing and the material you’re sanding.
  • The power tool has an ergonomic design that lets you work horizontally, vertically, and overhead, giving it the versatility needed for all kinds of jobs.
  • It can perform both sanding and polishing, both for flat and curved surfaces, so you can use the same tool throughout your whole restoration job.
  • It’s suitable for working on wood, plaster, painted, polished, and varnished surfaces.
  • The sander can go from 4,000 to 26,000 oscillations per minute.

What did reviewers think of the Bosch Random Orbit Sander?

Reviews were well and truly mixed about Bosch’s random orbital sander. Among the positive feedback, the sanding tool’s power output and variable speed control was praised, with reviewers saying that it helped them get medium to large-sized jobs done in a relatively short amount of time.

The sander’s stability was also appreciated, with reviewers noting that it was easy to control and reasonably lightweight.

A notable pain point among negative reviews had to do with the discs, with some reviewers staying that the sander threw them off the head well before they had worn out - this made using the tool inconvenient and costly for them.

Another pain point was that the dust collection system was ineffective - reviewers said it didn’t catch much dust, and frequently fell off the tool.

Compare all 4 Bosch Random Orbit Sander