Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Pros

• Completes large jobs efficiently

• Easy to control

• Wide range of speed control

Cons

• Can throw discs before they're worn out

• Ineffective dust collection system

Mr Ocean

Mr OceanNelson

Money making sander

Backing plate with nylon hook velcro is a designed to fail and have you buy new heads. Head gets hot due to friction (so don't press even a small amount !!) then the hooks change shape so the sanding discs don't stick and get thrown. I'll research and check the design more carefully before next purchase. Machine works fine when new head but doesn't last long. I'm on my 3rd and its getting expensive to run this machine. Unexpected.

Purchased for $200.00.

Bosch Power Tools
GracieBosch Power Tools
magicrobot

magicrobot

This sander sands like a boss

I bought a new Ryobi sander specifically for this large job i had to do - sanding 5 light years of cornice glue off an entire ceiling off a sprawling house that we were going to put another ceiling straight over top of. Anyway the Ryobi died after a couples of hours so I drove straight to Bunnings and replaced it with the Bosch. OMG unbelievable difference, the Bosch ripped through the old cornice glue like it was made from meringue cake base. The discs do come off every now and then which is a bit annoying, but weirdly for me they were coming off when the sanding discs were ready to change. The filter seems to work well but the design is crap for getting it on and off (hence the 4 stars)
I would buy another in a heartbeat

Purchased in June 2018.

DIY-Type-Person

DIY-Type-PersonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Throws Discs

Purchased in February 2019 for $89.00.

JohnnyRamrod

JohnnyRamrod

Great for what it is...

This is a decent little sander. Not high end, but not a high end price so that's ok. As a working sander, it really does that. It works. I have almost no issue with it. Solid performer. Highly recommend, provided one thing... You better not be too worried about how the dust catching system functions. Because basically it doesn't. The thing falls off with the slightest bump, but it's ok because it pretty much never caught the dust.

I'm still fine with it - i just use it outside and use a mask. Something I do for most work, so no issue for me. So I still rate it a 4 star for price etc - just know what you are buying.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
keith

keithperth

failed speed contoller

after a couple of times using this model the speed controller failed and the machine would not run lower than half speed, then it failed altogether, replacement part is $44 from https://www.toolspareparts.com.au/bosch-pex-300-ae-3603ca3040-spare-parts.html I should have returned at the first instance of failure but you know what its like just wanting to get the job done and move onto other bits so did not follow up on warranty, wish I had, also the dust catcher is pretty much useless, now replaced with Ryobi, so far so good.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Bad customer service.

Go to Bosch Australia try to get spare parts cant order through them what a joke think may have to use different manufacturer didn't mind the tools but if you cant get help from them what's the point cant order through dealer as the cost of replacing the sanding pads all the time gets to dear with dealer mark up and takes to long to get part in.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Poor dust catching function

the sander works OK but the dust catcher is useless, dust clouds are the order of the day. Even when I cleaned the filter and took care to refit it to the machine, it still emits dust from around the lid. Checked that its fitting Ok but no change. Disappointing dust catcher.

Date PurchasedMay 2013
Tom

TomAdelaide

Poor quality.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
CoreyHolitt

CoreyHolittSydney

Bottom end of the market, but it gets the job done

I am just a DIYer, I knew an orbital sander would help me get a better finish on my projects, but can't really fork out for sanders at the top of the market. I have been really impressed with this unit, the adjustable power output is a nice feature and the dust collection does an ok job, better than my 1/3 sheet makita anyway.

I should say that I didn't get much help from Bunnings Brendale while selecting this, the staff member in the tool shop didn't seem to know too much about the sanders in their lineup. Tho i have also got great helpful service there when buying a drill, guess it's just hit and miss.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Hugh

HughCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Throws sanding discs. Velcro not fit for purpose.

As others have found these Bosch 400 sanders throw the sanding discs. Very poor velcro attachment plate used on backing pad. Not fit for purpose IMHO. I've already replaced it twice with the Bosch OEM backing pads, no better, they go bad soon after. Bosch OZ know about this problem yet have not offered to replace these defective parts nor owned up to the issue. Very poor IMHO. Web searches reveal this is a common issue.
Their response is to tell readers to call their helpline where you will be told crap by someone who knows nothing and offered nothing useful as a remedy. I will not be buying another Bosch orbital sander not will I recommend them.

Date PurchasedJune 2015

Frank16Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Speedy and efficient sander

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Frank16

Older Swiss made was a solid machine

Very good machine, but with a disclaimer: I purchased mine a number of years back and it was made in Switzerland, and I have no clue what their quality is like now, so my advice might only be applicable to second hand. But it's a great machine. I've even done absurd things like polish a full terrazzo floor with it. The dust extraction isn't the greatest, and it has chucked a disc once (ever) - after I put it on not realizing it was caked in dust.

Frustratingly disappointing.

This machine is fabulous for the first year. Then the sandpaper discs start throwing off.. so I get a new disc attachment as the surface has gone too smooth and wont hold the sandpapers on. Carry on.. then it happens again..so buy a new disc attatchment.. Carry on.. and the whole disc attatchment starts throwing off. So I buy a new disc attatchment. It throws off as soon as its put on.. then find out that the thread is bare on the centre screw. Another $150 to fix all up apparently..so now have to buy a new sander..All this from a sander thats only 3 years old.

PaulS

PaulSSouth East Queensland, QLD

Mildly functional but flawed. But disc throwing problem is solved.

Jeff

JeffBendigo

Great sander

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews for this. Having read some of them, the person has used this sander for jobs it was not intended. My own experience is very positive. I have never had a disc throw or dislodge itself. Granted, the dust collector is essentially useless but my $79 ryobi shop vacuum fits it perfectly (also bought at good old Bunnings). I make furniture and built in robes, wall panels etc and this sander gives me smooth, even finishes perfect for painting, staining etc. I only mark it down for the dust collector.

Not Great

It's a cheap, lightweight random orbital, and you get what you pay for. I build beehives and cabinets - this sander makes my arm numb after a half hour. The "micro filter" box is useless, although with a wrap of duct tape you can get the dust port to connect with a standard shopvac hose. The thing throws discs like that's it's primary function. I've replaced the pad three times and it still throws discs, and once it's thrown a disc, the hooks on the pad die and you need a new pad. Fork out a bit more cash for something better. I wish I had.

DVW

DVWAU

great for DIY

I have only used this a few times but it does work very well if used correctly. I have read bad reviews of this product, most attributed to sandpaper 'flying off'. To test this I applied more downward pressure than needed and, sure enough the paper became detached. These machines only need very slight pressure to work correctly and I cannot fault the sanding capability with all grades of paper. It appears well made but if you are a professional tradesman I would buy the Blue Bosch. all in all this does the job for an excellent price.

Sue

SueGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Throws sanding discs and is very dusty but does an excellent job when it works.

Very disappointed with this machine in two ways - I am on my second base plate (genuine bosch) at a cost of 39.00 and will not be buying another one. The dust filter is useless and falls off easily. The machine when working does an excellent job but the frustration of dusting off the plate and trying different sanding pads including genuine bosch (expensive) and throwing out more than I can count because they fly off and in turn become so dusty they won't stick and again clog up the plate velcro. Unfortunately I am probably going to resort to buying a cheap brand as they do offer a good warranty usually and will replace if anything goes wrong. Thankyou

Joots

JootsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great little DIY sander

I do a lot of DIY projects & this little sander has proved to be quite the work horse, with plenty of power to get the job done. It makes a boring job quick & easy. It is reasonably light weight, with a comfortable grip & easy to handle, the sanding discs are quick to change, & the speed is altered with just a brush of the thumb.
Light-weight, powerful, easy to use.
Must take care changing the sanding disc, as the velcro grip on the discs is stronger than the glue to the base of the machine.

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander reviews

Gonzoasked

Random Orbit Sander GEX 125 AC Professional

Sander runs with no load but slows to a stop when placed on work??

Gonzoasked

Random Orbit Sander GEX 125 AC Professional

Sander runs with no load but slows to a stop when placed on work??

jae k.
jae k.

Yes I have had that sort of things happened before once after using 6~7months.
But I thought that happened my casual worker press too hard down.
So I just replaced.
It was under $100 not like $260 or even $700 like fesco?.
It is cost effective way.

Anastasios
Anastasios

Hello, I had the same issue, opened it up to check if the bearing was in working order but the bearing was fine. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my sander, very disappointed since it was relatively new and not used too much. Check YouTube , it might help you. Cheers

Gonzo

Hi, shorted out speed controller and a lot better, but not perfect

Reuben W.

Reuben W.asked

Random Orbit Sander PEX 270 AE

Dust is not going into filter why?

See all Bosch Random Orbit Sander questions

Get an answer from our members and Bosch Power Tools representatives

Bosch Random Orbit Sander

Features:

• The Bosch Random Orbit Sander has a 370W motor that gives it the power to deliver fine finishes on medium and large work surfaces.
  • It has variable speed control which lets you choose the perfect speed for the job you’re doing and the material you’re sanding.
  • The power tool has an ergonomic design that lets you work horizontally, vertically, and overhead, giving it the versatility needed for all kinds of jobs.
  • It can perform both sanding and polishing, both for flat and curved surfaces, so you can use the same tool throughout your whole restoration job.
  • It’s suitable for working on wood, plaster, painted, polished, and varnished surfaces.
  • The sander can go from 4,000 to 26,000 oscillations per minute.

What did reviewers think of the Bosch Random Orbit Sander?

Reviews were well and truly mixed about Bosch’s random orbital sander. Among the positive feedback, the sanding tool’s power output and variable speed control was praised, with reviewers saying that it helped them get medium to large-sized jobs done in a relatively short amount of time.

The sander’s stability was also appreciated, with reviewers noting that it was easy to control and reasonably lightweight.

A notable pain point among negative reviews had to do with the discs, with some reviewers staying that the sander threw them off the head well before they had worn out - this made using the tool inconvenient and costly for them.

Another pain point was that the dust collection system was ineffective - reviewers said it didn’t catch much dust, and frequently fell off the tool.

Compare all 4 Bosch Random Orbit Sander