MPN: WVH28490AU

Dryer uses water to condense steam

Love Bosch as a brand and have had many appliances over the years, but not happy with my latest purchase.

Model I just bought is WVG28420AU, washer dryer combo. I am now aware due to a sticker on the front of the machine (nothing in online specs except the manual!) that the dryer uses an additional 23L of water for the condenser to work, so watch out if you care about your water consumption, or you're on tank water - well, this is Australia.....

Also, drying takes
approximately 2.5hours, and you can't just pop a couple of damp things to dry off. They come out wetter, believe it or not....

Also....the door won't open until drying load is cool, which takes another hour...

Washing function is Bosch-perfect, shame about the dryer!

Fortunately Appliances Online have been terrific, and are assisting me with a replacement.

Purchased in March 2019 for $1,120.00.

Noise Level
Washing Performance
Hi Marj, Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback, __, if we can be of any help to you feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home AustraliaThanks so much. I think you just need to make it clearer about the water consumption, esp for dry countries, and that the dryer in these type of appliances takes longer and are not as flexible as conventional dryers. Also ensure distributors promote the same info. Appliances online did not advertise these facts, but are prepared to replace the machine for me, so no loss really. Again, many thanks.

Keeps giving errors on screen. Crap at drying

Compared to a dedicated drier, this is a very poor attempt at drying. Annoyingly it can wash more than it can dry, so if doing a big wash, we have to remove clothes and hang some to let the drier work peoperly. After 2 years of putting up with average results, it seems the pump has.blown as it keeps stopping mid cycle and giving us "error18" messages.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Hi gosha1970,  Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your washer dryer not performing as it should. We'd like to see if we can help, if you could kindly email us at socialmedia.au@bshg.com, quoting BSH4955 in the subject line we’ll investigate for you. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Pricey but worth it - time and space saver

Very pleased with this washer/dryer combo. Runs quiet and cleans clothes well. Pricey but still cheaper than a separate washer and dryer. Takes up less space as well. Doesn't require any ducting which made installation a breeze. I like using the timer function to wash/dry using off-peak electricity. The auto mode (wash/dry) is the best thing ever. I've owned this machine for over a year now and no problems.

Mild criticisms:

Dryer sometimes finishes before the clothes are bone-dry. Which is probably good for the clothes, but it means airing them on the drying rack. I'd like a "roast the clothes into cinders" mode.

Wash capacity is greater than drying capacity. So to use the automatic wash/dry sequence you must do half-loads. Or remove part of a washed full load before manually starting the dry cycle.

Drain filter is a pain to clean. Lint filter is pretty easy though.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys.

Noise Level
Washing Performance
Drying Performance
Hi ,  Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU washer/dryer, we're glad to hear that your enjoying your appliance so far with the auto mode, timer function and the quality of the wash. If you have any questions feel free to call us on 1300 369 744.  Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Perfect job every time.

I cannot fault this appliance. It does all it promises. It is quiet, it runs efficiently, the clothes come out clean and the dryer woks well with no annoying issues. I'd suggest that people read and understand the instructions carefully. It has loads of features. Admittedly, I only use a few of them, but that seems common for most washers. It does great job with delicate clothing and rinses thoroughly.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Hi DofQ,  Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU, we're glad to hear that you cannot fault this appliance. Thank you for sharing your suggestions. If you have any questions feel free to call us on 1300 369 744.  Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Takes huge loads and washes well

Bosch have really taken off. I own a dish washer which is great so when out old washer packed in we bought this cloths washer. It's very power and water saving and pretty easy to load, set and then come back and unload. Multiple settings for different type of cloths. What got us by surprise is how much cloths it can hold and wash in one go!

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Davey, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the experience. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Disappointed because it leaves marks on my clothes

I bought this to replace my old ariston washer dryer. I've only had the Bosch model for 6 months and been noticing marks left on all my clothes, especially the dark ones. Was told to run a 90degree wash 3 times. No change

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Flip, Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your washer dryer We'd like to help you investigate, so could you please contact us on 1300 369 744 to discuss further. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.I have and now I'm waiting to be sent a descaler to run through the machine. I have NEVER used a descaler before in my life so will be looking for a refund/replacement once I've done this.

Great combination washer / dryer

I was very reluctant to get a front loader (a nasty experience watching £200 disintegrate in a front loader when living in the UK many years ago). However due to space issues in my new place I got this combination - after much research.
I have found it very easy to use. Obviously it takes longer than a top loader, and the dryer takes longer than my previous one, but really not too bad.
Super quiet! And doesn't need vibration mat or pads - does it all itself!
Only requires cold tap input as it heats its own water.
Haven't noticed any condensation from the dryer in the room either.
Took me awhile to get the beeping to permanently switch off (there is a volume setting that can be put to 0)- otherwise it keeps beeping at you intermittently when its finished (annoying if you put it on before bed!!)
Basically I'm a convert to front loaders now and love my Bosch.

One note of caution - the size measurements of the unit do not seem to include the extra required for the door (so add about 25mms for the depth), the back doesn't need much allowance because the hoses fit under a little overhang on the top of the unit.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Hi MishB, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

You get what you pay for

Super quiet operation. Gentle on clothes. I like the timer display.
First use the soap dispenser didn't dissolve the powder properly because the blue flap for liquid detergent fell into the way.
I would never buy a machine this expensive but this one came with a new property purchase. The quality is evident compared to the cheaper Thai-made models (which are very good regardless).

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Hi Mr Bigglesworth, Thanks for your review. We really appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're happy with the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Economically plus

I’ve gone from a top loader to this and wow economy plus , all round , saves water ,power and time !!! Job done laundry washed with tlc ...... Dryer for emergencies only ... I did try it and happy also

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi maria.giannopoulos.9, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

The best machine for apartment living.

Washes well, has child lock and plenty of wash options. Works well as dryer, so very good in an apartment with no clothesline access. Door is solid, liquid dispenser works well.
I would certainly recommend this machine as space saver.
Classy appearance and easy to use. I'm very happy with this purchase.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Cris, Thanks for your review. We really appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

I am not able to edit so I am re issuing the review. The washer dryer has been repaired and is now functioning satisfactorily, thank you. Bosch has also agreed to pay for repairs to the cabinet water damage from the leak, 2 quotes have been obtained.

I would have liked the product replaced but I understand that all you have to do is repair it under your warranty obligations. So, overall, I am happy with the outcome and I want to say thank you for making things right for us.

Previous review:
I purchased this product in March 2017 from the Good Guys. It has continued to leak small to medium puddles on the laundry floor. We have called the Good Guys several times and been told that its the way the machine is plumbed, strange, they installed it!. Finally, a technician came out last week and found a small hole in an internal pipe. Now we are waiting for parts.

1) The Good Guys and Bosch should have replaced the machine without question rather than make me wait for parts and spend more time off work while they come and fix it (who knows when?)

2) I have kitchen cabinet damage caused by the leaking water.

3) I have set up several houses with equipment from the Good Guys but I will never shop there again.

4) After many Bosch products over the years, I will not be purchasing another one. Its not the fault, all products can have faults. In business, its not about the problem, its about the recovery. Bosch + Good Guys = Epic Fail.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

quite & smart

the cleaning function is quite good, and it is also quite quiet while spinning on 1400. the auto drying function is quite good, but the clothes are still damp is you put thick clothes in the machine. I tried to dry 3 hoodies, after 1.5 hours, they are still quite damp.

this combo's size is perfect for a small laundry room, it also has a small device to prevent water leaking and water hammer.

Don't compare its drying capability with a separated dryer, if you don;t have a large laundry room. this will be the best choice

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi Sammy, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Love our new Washer/Dryer machine

We replaced our Electrolux Washer/Dryer Combo after 8 years because the drying function stopped working and could no longer be fixed. We are so happy with this machine. Is very quiet, gentle on clothes on all cycles. Dries well and gently too, with few wrinkles. Lovely fluffy towels - yeah!

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi E Mudd, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Great value washer/dryer

Cleans and drys well. Seems gentle with clothes on any of the wash cycles. Great range of washing modes and customisation within each mode. Love, love, love the 1400rpm spin cycle which speeds up drying on the washing line. Really happy with this machine especially as we live in a flat and it saves space by not needing a seperate drier.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Richard, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

A Very Good Washer with Average Dryer

We bought this washing machine / dryer combo over three months ago from Good Guys. We are very happy with the washer - short cycles, good spin speeds, less water usage and very quiet. However, the drum size is smaller to hold 8 kg load. I would have given 4 stars if dryer is as good as washer.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Maz00, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

'Princess Crumple'

Well I now own a Bosch washer/combo, purchased for our boat, a space saving decision, I'm thinking...not the best choice I've ever made. I find it to wash the clothes very well, it spins well, however that's about it for me. It's quite complicated & has too many cycles, the instructions are confusing. It takes way too long to wash & dry and even on intense dry half the clothes are still not dry, however some are creased beyond steam ironing, I even had to iron towels! they came out crumpled & stiff, not soft & fluffy. It's quite noisy and goes into uncontrollable shakes even though it's installed correctly & padded. I don't like a dryer cycle that you just can't open the door to check things, the whole opening the door process is quite daunting.
Basically, I just don't like this machine at all and I really wish I had purchased a different brand, but I'll have to get used to it and lets face it it's far better than hand washing and squeezing out!!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Wonderful washing machine! !

We have been using it about 6 months. So far so good. Have many different types of wash. We found quick wash is very effective.
We have a baby so we had to use it almost three times a week and cost of electronic and water are seriously low.
Highly recommended. ..

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Hi Tuhin, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washing Machine, we're glad to hear that the appliance is serving you well. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Highly Recommended For Limited Laundry Space or Apartment Living

We bought the WVH28490AU combo (despite the varied reviews) to replace separate Bosch washer and dryer units. This 8/4kg washer dryer, is compact, has a good appearance and is the perfect solution for limited laundry space or apartment living. The machine washes clothes very well and the 15min cycle is a great addition to the older Bosch models. At first glance the control panel looks baffling but surprisingly the machine is extremely user friendly and if needed is well supported by the easy to follow instruction manual. The machine is very very quiet and stable ( much quieter and steadier than my previous top of the range German Bosch unit). We use the drying function primarily to air clothes after line drying and this machine does the job well. On the only occasion since purchase that the complete drying cycle has been used (due to rain) I had no problem with the way this machine performed. In fact it seemed to dry faster than my previous Bosch condenser dryer. The final verdict- performance five stars, value for money five stars. Would we buy this machine again? Absolutely!!

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Hi Catherine, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH284900AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Impressive

We made the decision to get this Bosch unit as a replacement for our old LG washer/dryer that died (we were given a full refund under warranty from Harvey Norman).

Having just had a competitor unit of similar price the comparison is easy to make, and the Bosch wins.

I was wary at first as some reviews for Bosch were saying they are very noisy. I can confirm this is not the case. This is 10 times quieter than the LG it replaced and does not vibrate the house either.

Other key points; it is quicker in both washing and drying, it does not use water to dry.

Over all a great unit and excellent value for money. I was somewhat satisfied with the LG before it stated playing up and finally giving up but now that I can compare the two I would say they are in different leagues and I would certainly go for Bosch over LG now.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Hi Mat, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Washer/Dryer, we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Great Washer/Dryer combo. No complaints

We bought this mainly as a front loader washing machine that could also dry towels overnight every now and then. As a front loader it's as good as they come. We have had ASKO and LG before and this is easily better than either of those. The added bonus of a dryer when you need it is great. I would NOT recommend any combo for every-day drying as none of them are quite as good and a stand alone tumble dryer, but this one does an outstanding job. What is amazing is when it says 1 hour and 7 minutes for a given wash - that's how long it takes.

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Hi Johny, Thanks for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback about your Bosch WVH28490AU Dryer, we're glad to hear that you’re enjoying the appliance. If you have any future queries, please feel free to call us on 1300 369 744. Regards, Bosch Home Australia.

Jeff, Hi, up until a couple of months ago our washer dryer was working fine washing and drying. Now suddenly it has stopped drying properly for no apparent reason. It will sometimes work as per normal, then suddenly it will only half dry things or not dry them at all, even though it appears to be doing the drying mode. It will and does suddenly loose up to an hour or more of time off the timer while you are watching it. We have seen it go from 2.5hrs drying time and at the blink of an eye change to 15 minutes with sopping wet clothes in the machine. Would you be able to suggest a reason or has to motherboard got a problem.
Hi Jeff McD Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your washer/dryer We'd like to help, if you contact us on 1300 369 744 we’ll investigate for you. Regards, Bosch Home Australia

does this machine have a delay start?
Yes it most certainly does.can you please advise where this feature is, thankyouHi Julie,  Thanks for the question regarding your Bosch WVH28490AU washer dryer. Please refer to your manual page 24-25. The clock symbol on your display panel delays the finish time (end of programme). Before the programme starts, the end of the programme can be preselected in hourly increments up to a maximum of 24h. This will delay the start time once end time is entered. When the programme has started, the preselected time is displayed e.g. 8:00h and counts down until the programme starts. Then the programme duration is displayed, e.g. 2:30h If you need any more help, feel free to contact us on 1300 369 744.  Regards, Bosch Home Australia

I want to install this washer dryer under a bench and between two fixed cupboards, but i see that the machine has a hot air outlet at the back. Can i install it in this situation? How much ventilation space do i need to allow for the hot air that comes out of the back of the machine?
The best thing to do is to google the manual. Here i an excerpt for you. Ventilate the installation area well, otherwise the optimum drying results will not be achieved. Dimensions of the ventilation openings (to be provided on one side, depending on the circumstances). Opening crosssection: d x e = 200 mm x 100 mm. Height above floor: f = 365 mm. Distance between wall and appliance: 50 mmThank you, i read that as well. I was hoping to get an answer/comment from Bosch Home Appliances as i see they have responded to many of the other questions on this page. I don't know how the dryer function works. Does it pump hot moist air out of the back of the machine, or is the moisture pumped out through the drain hose?Hi Bruce, Thanks for your question regarding your Bosch WVH28490AU dryer. We'd recommend a minimum cut out of 200 mm x 100 mm on one side only of your cabinetry, as per the diagram on page 38 of your instruction manual. Please ensure you allow a distance of 50mm between the wall and appliance to allow for sufficient ventilation. If you need any more help, feel free to contact us on 1300 369 744.  Regards, Bosch Home Australia

Price (RRP)$2099