Bose SoundLink Wireless Mobile

Bose SoundLink Wireless Mobile

Piece of Crap!!!

I feel so stupid for buying this piece of crap!!! I paid $400 for it... Thinking to myself "it's Bose, it has to be good" ... Well far from it!! You can go JB HI FI and get a speaker half the price of this one and So much better sound quality... It does not go loud!! Will never buy from Bose again.... Over priced Crap!!!

One of my better purchases

I ummed and aahed over numerous wireless docks (yeah... I know it's not really a dock but you know what I mean) before taking the plunge on the Bose.
I have the Soundlink II (the heading of this review infers it is the original Soundlink) and I'm more than happy.
There are a couple of issues... pairing/connecting can be trying... I've found you have to turn Bluetooth off on all devices in range except the one you want to pair with... plus stereo separation is poor/non-existent.
Having said all that, it still does what I bought it for... provides great (albeit typical warm Bose) sound in a truly portable package.
Great sound from a tiny portable package
Bluetooth connective frustrations and poor stereo separation

Great product only one let down

Great product, sounds great (for the price) great portability, and easy to use. Have had one issue and that was it would not update the software. But Bose kindly fixed that.

Only let down would be sometimes it forgets what it is paired to causing you to have to "re-pair" your devices. Battery last a decent amount, although could be better.
Sound is very very warm, so it you want crisp clean highs, I wouldn't recommend, as Bose is known for very warm, "bassy" sounding. some people love it some don't.

Overall a good product for the price.

A warning, a user, Rob, who posts on mostly Miele product reviews,seems to have an issue with my reviews, so be warned in case he has something rude or opposing to say.
Decent sound, good price, portable
A bit too warm sounding, can forget devices its paired to, and battery could be better

Avoid at all cost

Having listened to this speaker extensively in a shop, I can categorically say that this is yet another overpriced piece of junk from Bose, with very disappointing sound quality - and no, I am not an obsessive audiophile, just somebody who likes to listen to music moderately loud, and expects both clarity and bass (the Bose fails on both accounts).

There are much better alternatives. Look at Bowers and Wilkins - exceptional build and very good sound quality, or if you genuinely want to fill the room with top wireless sound look at Dynaudio Xeo. Or consider the recently announced Mini Aero from Moos Audio - serious wireless audio quality from a new Aussie company; may well be contender for 'best in the world'! There are also others, most offering better value than Bose. Whatever you do, don't buy the Bose!!!

Boring design, poor audio quality, overpriced

I'm about to track down a set of Moos Mini Aeros for a listen, but, given that not only are the two other makers you've mentioned (B&W and Dynaudio) among my all-time favourites, but also given that Moos employ the fabulous Danish Scan-Speak tweeter, ...I reckon they're almost certain to impress. (I fell indebted to you for making us aware of them. Heartfelt thanks, mate !) That's why I find your description of the Soundlink's output all the more surprising, given that I frequently pull out some 63Hz prior to driving my Soundlink when an adjacent (usually indoor) wall or corner actually yields too much (notably un-distorted) bass. I can also offer the testimony of countless folks who've specifically commented on the lack of any harshness, the effortless bass and the breathtaking clarity of dispersion from my sea-side-sand and salt-encrusted, battery-powered, "wipe-clean-afterwards-tiny-tissue-box". (My MegaSeg playlists range from the Triple-J Hottest 100, through 50s rock & roll, jazz from big-bands & small combos all the way up to large classical orchestras.) So perhaps your comparisons may be somewhat harsh in the light of this product's intended uses, practical portability, remarkable robustness in the face of seawater and sand, freedom from the strictures of mains supply and (most significantly) relatively low price. Fine though they undoubtedly are, the alternatives you mention range from roughly double the cost (for the B&W A7, that I also adore) up to about five times the price of the Soundlink ...and none are salt, sand and spray-resistant, ...but all do require mains power. Hi Ron, I hear your opinion, but I stand by mine - if you look at 'sound quality' in absolute terms, matching the Bose against other systems, it would place in the bottom 5% for sound quality - note that I am talking across *FULL* spectrum of audio products. The Bose will, of course, rank better in relative terms against its class peers, these being all the other tiny boxes with limited sound quality - in this highly constrained category the Bose may come up in the top 20%. I am bringing this up as your comments made (or at least implied) broad claims about sound quality in absolute terms - indeed you said that the experience is better than tied-to-the-shelf mains-powered systems costing 4 times the price. I suspect you didn't actually mean to say this, unless you are also looking to point out poor performance of all the Bose tied-to-the-shelf mains-powered systems? Is the Bose Sound link really better than the Bose Acoustic Wave System II? I think you get the point... Perhaps my reaction would have been more muted if your assessment was along the lines of "the Bose box gives you better sound than most similar sized, battery powered alternatives, but of course it does not compare to a mains powered system with well designed bookshelf or floor standing speakers" - this, I think would have been fair. The truth (as in factual reality) is that a tiny box can only do so much when it comes to reproduction of sound, particularly at lower frequencies - there is no voodoo magic that can be worked here, the laws of physics get in the way. Another fact is that batteries severely restrict the power output of an audio products - again, this is basic physics (and chemistry) in play and there is no way around it. The Bose is a very small, battery powered box with inherent limitation that don't go away just because Bose's marketing people say so. I will leave it at this. Anybody reading this is well advised to listen for themselves, and to compare to the likes of B&W Zeppelin Air. If portability is an absolute must for you go for the Bang & Olufsen Beolit 12. Yes, these cost a bit more but you are spending your money on something worth buying (B&W or Band & Olufsen) vs something rather average (Bose) - for what it is, the Bose is actually very poor value for money. And yes, there are of course even better alternatives if you are looking for wireless sound in your living room... Oh, and one more: Ron, did you really mean what you wrote when you said "matchless elegance of a rugged, go anywhere die-cast aluminium sculpture that will change your life forever"? CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER? Honestly, I am lost for words - Ron, Bose is not the Dalai Lama!!! - surely you did not mean this!When you learn that I'm a Sound Supervisor with over forty years' ongoing employment in worldwide "showbusiness" audio, (nearly all of it live, or "as live") you probably won't be surprised to find that I agree with much of what you say, Bob. But please, if you do me the honour of quoting me, ...quote me correctly. What I actually wrote was "...many of the tied-to-the-shelf mains-powered sound systems out there that cost more than four times as much." ...And I'm fairly sure you will also have winced on hearing the ones to which I referred ! I stand by my comments as I made them specifically in respect of this device's target market, a market that's unlikely to tolerate systems (such as Bang & Olufsen's magnificent Beolit 12) that cost roughly twice as much. While appearance and audio are both highly subjective, it's nonetheless a fact that my Bose SoundLink has indeed "changed my life forever". My Bose Soundlink and MacBook Pro dependably provide eminently enjoyable music wherever I may be on Planet Earth... ...And should you find any other internationally operable "airline carry-on compliant" sound system that is also capable of doing that, please let me (and the Dalai Lama) know.

No, It Is Not A Sewing Kit...

...Nor is it a sensuously tactile, art-directed "designer" box for tissues or cosmetics. ...So what is it ?

Well, for anyone who considers music to be an important part of life, it's a complete and utter game-changer, ...that's what it is.

Why?

Huge sound from a tiny "go anywhere" box. Wirelessly. For hours. (Indefinitely if there's any mains nearby for its included "wall wart" plug pack.)

That's why.

OK, so the "Purist Police of the Hi Fi Geek Patrol" will sneer that its phenomenal array of active multi-band spectral processing, carefully tuned cabinet resonances, wave guides and ports combine to yield a sound that's "fake" or "tricked up".

Guilty as charged. (Easily charged, as it happens.)

But if, like most of us, you listen to music , (as opposed to analysing technology) this "fake" sound is the beating heart of an immensely satisfying, backyard (or room) filling and ...(above all) enjoyable experience.

More so than many of the tied-to-the-shelf mains-powered sound systems out there that cost more than
four times as much.

Expensive?

For a "designer" sewing kit, tissue box or cosmetics holder, ...definitely.

But for the matchless elegance of a rugged, go anywhere die-cast aluminium sculpture that will change your life forever...?

An absolute bargain.
Its sound. It is sound. Its easy,wipe-down portability. ...And its sound, that's right, ...its sound!
Anything Bluetooth may require an occasional "re-pairing" should interference "walk in".

@RonM - I'm no HiFi geek, but I do have a pair of ears on me and I can tell you that this Bose thing sounds like the tissue box it is. Tinny, overly bright, harsh, struggling for clarity when you crank the volume and absolutely no bass. And yes - I went to a shop and listened to this, it's not good. Look at Bowers and Wilkins - exceptional build and very good sound quality, or if you genuinely want to fill the room with top wireless sound look at Dynaudio Xeo. Or how about the Moos Mini Aero - an Aussie wireless speaker product that looks to become a real world beater when it comes to quality wireless sound. Whatever you do, don't buy the Bose!!!Not only do you have a pair of ears, Bob, ...but they seem to be a very well-educated and discerning pair ! I'm about to track down a set of Moos Mini Aeros for a listen, but, given that not only are the two other makers you've mentioned (B&W and Dynaudio) among my all-time favourites, but also given that Moos employ the fabulous Danish Scan-Speak tweeter, ...I reckon they're almost certain to impress. (I fell indebted to you for making us aware of them. Heartfelt thanks, mate !) That's why I find your description of the Soundlink's output all the more surprising, given that I frequently pull out some 63Hz prior to driving my Soundlink when an adjacent (usually indoor) wall or corner actually yields too much (notably un-distorted) bass. I can also offer the testimony of countless folks who've specifically commented on both the lack of any harshness and breathtaking clarity of dispersion from my sea-side-sand and salt-encrusted, battery-powered, "wipe-clean-afterwards-tiny-tissue-box". (My MegaSeg playlists range from the Triple-J Hottest 100, through 50s rock & roll, jazz from big-bands & small combos all the way up to large classical orchestras.) So perhaps your comparisons may be somewhat harsh in the light of this product's intended uses, practical portability, remarkable robustness in the face of seawater and sand, freedom from the strictures of mains supply and (most significantly) relatively low price. Fine though they undoubtedly are, the alternatives you mention range from roughly double the cost (for the B&W A7, that I also adore) up to about five times the price of the Soundlink ...and none are salt, sand and spray-resistant, ...but all do require mains power.

Great Bose Bluetooth Speaker

The Bose Soundlink Bluetooth Speaker is a great portable speaker to have. It is compact and rugged.

I must confess I am a Bose fan and have a number of Bose products

The sound quality out of this speaker is great. You would not expect the sound that comes out of the unit. The speaker does not distort even at the highest levels. The unit produces nice bass and great overall sound. I found that the apple store mp3's had a richer sound then some of the others.

This speaker is a portable unit that has a lithium battery built in. The battery life is fairly good. It seems as if at high volume the speaker lasts for about 3 hours but at reasonable volume can last from 5-8hours depends on volume you have it at.

It is fairly expensive for what it is and you could probably get a mini hifi system but the difference is that this speaker is portable and Bose. It would be great if the unit had a radio included but with different apps for your iPhone you can always use them. On the plus side with bose is that though the price is expensive Bose normally maintains its value even after a couple of years.

If you are looking for a portable speaker that you can use on the move and connect via Bluetooth and will definitely impress then purchase this speaker. If you want something more compact that you can use with an ok sound then get the x mini max which will probably do the job for your money.

Test them out and see if you think they are worth your time and money
Great Sound, Portable, Compact, Internal Lithium Battery
Expensive,

The reason for some sounding better than others, T-mo, lies in the encoding. ...All top-quality gear follows the GIGO "law", ...Garbage In, Garbage Out. The majority of iTunes downloads are encoded at the highest sample rate available for what Apple calls "their AAC" format, which is, in fact, mp4, not mp3. As you've noted, mp4 preserves FAR more detail than mp3, yet is still "iPod and iPhone friendly" in that it still only takes up a fraction of the storage space required by fully "lossless" formats. You too can employ the "Import Settings" button of iTunes "Preferences" to select this highest sample rate AAC (mp4) format. Doing so would allow your own "non-downloaded" imports to (potentially) share this improved sound.