Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Questions & Answers (page 2 of 8)

Accident Plus, Peace of Mind and Ultimate Care
4.1 from 1,797 reviews

142 questions from our users

Lynnette

Lynnetteasked

Hi!
I am looking for insurance for my 1 year old puppy. While I am impressed by the 4 star rating from 1186 reviews, I would like to review your PDS as well. Where can I find it?

Lynnette

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Lynette, this can be found on our site. Please go to https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/forms-brochures/ and click on policy booklet.

Devil
Devil

You might want to take a closer look at the MANY supposed positive reviews by "people" who have never reviewed anything else. Although I think Product Review is mostly good there is absolutely nothing to stop anyone writing fictional reviews. Once I worked out I would pay more for one policy over 15yrs for a 5kg dog than I have paid in vet bills for every dog I have had in the past 30yrs I cancelled my 3 policies with this greedy, rip off company. I then took out accident only insurance with another company & that combined with having a fantastic vet who keeps my dogs healthy means I am now thousands of dollars better off for doing so.

Sass
Sass

I have held a policy for almost 10 years and the premiums in no way were more or even close to what i had spent on my dog who had to have chemo for 14 months. I can tell you now, the cost would have been well over $20000 but fortunately bow wow refunded 80% no questions asked and never made me wait longer than a few days. You can never be assured your pet won't need expensive treatment and if you need to put your pet down because you can't afford the vet costs then how would that make you feel?

elisem

elisemasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi there, I have a miniature long haired dachshund and was wondering if in the case one day she injures her back badly and needs surgery if it will be covered? Some other insurance companies said they don't cover it as this is more common in dachshunds.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi elisem. Yes, provided this is not a pre-existing condition, it would be covered under the Accident & Illness policy (Comprehensive and Major Medical Policies). We do not have breed specific conditions.

Ellie

Ellieasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Do any of your policies cover hip dysplasia AND skin conditions? Need a policy that will cover both (as well as the other general conditions)

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Ellie, yes our accident and illness policies cover both hip dysplasia and skin conditions (provided these are not pre-existing conditions). For all listed inclusions and exclusions, please refer to our policy booklet at https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/forms-brochures/.

Sam M

Sam Masked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi we are considering taking out a policy but have been reading through the reviews and questions and wanting to find out what level cover do we need for every day things that may occur such as grass seeds? Someone mentioned that they had accident and illness cover which wasn't covered when their dog inhaled it and required surgery to remove it from their nose.

I'm wanting cover for the things that are more likely to occur than for things that most likely will never happen.

Hi Sam,
Any incidents of swallowing a foreign object that causes a blockage or obstruction is only covered once in the policy period. Subsequent incidents in the policy period are not covered.

Tania

Taniaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

If my dog gets a UTI within the waiting period does that mean any future UTI's would be considered a pre-existing condition and therefore never covered?????

Sarah
Sarah

AS far as I know depending on the level of cover you took the waiting period is for ACL surgery. A pre existing condition is one that has already been treated before you took out the policy. You have to provide a full vet history when you make your first claim so if your dog has already been treated for a UTI before you had insurance then I would think it would be a pre existing condition. If you are not sure just call Bow Wow and ask them, they are very helpful.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Tania, generally, if the first signs or symptoms occurred before the policy started or during the 30 day illness waiting period, the condition is considered pre-existing which is a general exclusion. However, all claims are assessed on their own merit.

Amanda R

Amanda Rasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

why was my claim for my dog's idiopathic epilepsy refused? She has PSS but these seizures are not related to her liver. Her bloodwork show that her liver levels are only just outside of normal and not the cause of the seizure she had treatment for. She has not had an HE seizure in 3.5years of her her life - she's 3 years 11 months. Please explain. We've got 3 dogs insured with you and are feeling very vulnerable and concerned that we are paying our premiums faithfully and scared we may not have the cover we have paid for.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Thanks Amanda, we received this message on Facebook too and sent it through to our resolutions team.

Melanie

Melanieasked

Hi,
Does Bow Wow Meow cover the costs of cancer treatments? (should such an issue arise).

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Melanie, yes this cost is covered under the illness policy (provided it is not a pre-existing condition).

Julie

Julieasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi. What are the monthly premiums for a 5 year old desexed female staffordshire bull terrier?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Julie, there are a number of factors that we use to calculate premium. In order to obtain an accurate quote, please go to our site: www.bowwowinsurance.com.au and enter all your details there. Alternatively, please call 1800 668 502. Many thanks.

Michelle

Michelleasked

Hi there
I have a French bulldog insured and have just found out he needs to have an enlongated soft palate surgery in order to breath. Can you advise if this is covered as in your PDS it seems that this is an elective surgery? when does this not be a case that it elective and covered?
Regards

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Michelle, elongated Soft palate Surgery is generally coverable under the illness section of the policy provided the signs or symptoms of this condition did not occur before the commencement date of the policy or did not occur within the applicable waiting periods. Please be advised that each claim is assessed based on the level of cover you have for your pet. Please also be advised that we do not covered preventative/ elective treatments where these have not been deemed necessary / essential by your Vet. If you wish to obtain guaranteed answer, please contact us and request a pre-authorisation form which can be emailed to you and you can get a answer within 48 hours of sending the form back with the treatment details and the estimate of the costs.

Helen

Helenasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi our dog had an anal abcess and our claim was rejected with little explanation.
I thought my insurance covered illnesses ?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Helen, please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number so that I can look into this for you. Many thanks

Sonia

Soniaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi, my dog was recently bitten on the ear by another dog and received surgery for her injury. The vet bill came to $609.80 but I was only paid $287. I pay for the comprehensive plan of 80% benefit and $200 excess. How come I did not recieve the full 80% back? Thank-you.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Sonia, it is the excess that took a fair chunk of the proceeds so it may be better to change to a lower excess (maybe $100)?
The calculation goes like this:
$609.8 x 80% = $487.84
$487.84 less the excess of $200 = $287.84
Kind regards
Greg

Philphy

Philphyasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Is this true that if you cancel the cover partway through and you have made claims during that period that you ask for all the claim money to be returned???
There are so many BAD reviews and you don't put on here if you sorted the complaints out or not - Guess I wont be using you for insurance.

Ainslie
Ainslie

If the supporting insurance company has PAID for your pet injury / sickness claims - why on earth would you want to be cancelling your pet insurance policy mid-term?
It should be looked at as a long term business relationship partnership - between the insurance company and the client.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Philphy, we do not ask for the CLAIM money to be returned this it definitely NOT true. I think there is confusion surrounding this. This is how it works: Our pet insurance premiums are annual policies. However, we give policyholders the option of paying monthly or fortnightly. If you are paying this way and you get a claim payout in the policy period and your pet dies, we do not ask for the balance of premiums owing for that policy period, even though a claim was paid out. However, if your pet does not die but you decide to cancel the policy after receiving claim proceeds, we definitely do ask you to pay the full annual policy. I can compare this to a car insurance policy. If your claim is paid out for a car that is written off, the insurer, will payout the claim less the balance owing for the whole annual policy. I hope this makes sense. This is how all the policies underwritten by Hollard Insurance work.

Briony95

Briony95asked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

I have a French bull dog puppy who the vet has just advised will need soft palate and nose opening surgery in the future- can you tell me if this would be covered? I have your premium insurance

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Briony, it is difficult to comment without seeing the actual case history. I would recommend calling 1800 668 502 so that you can find out more details.

Dan

Danasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Is it normal to have an increase in premiums every renewal even if I never had any claims?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Dan, premiums generally increase with the age of the pet (the older the pet the higher the risk of illness occurring). However, size of the increase may vary depending on the age, breed and increased cost of vet care (vet inflation).

Linda

Lindaasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi there. We have 10 week old Maltese X puppy. He had a checkup during his visit to vet last week. Perfect health. In regards to the crucial ligament 6 month wait etc would he be waivered ? If so do we need a letter from vet?
If/when you've made a claim and been paid does your premium payment then go up?
Kind regards
Linda

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Linda, in order to get the 6 month cruciate ligament waiting period waived, we would require your vet to sign off on the cruciate ligament form. This form can be found here: https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/forms-brochures. The premiums are risk rated which means, it depends on the breed, age, postcode and a few other variables. Sometimes premium will remain the same and other times they will increase (depending on the age pf pet).

Stuart

Stuartasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Are Dental problems covered and if so by how much?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Stuart, we do not have dental cover on our policies. We only have limited cover for annual teeth cleaning through our routine care cover. We are looking at including a dental cover option down the track, however, I am not sure when this will occur and how much premiums will increase due to the added cover.

chrisasked

Hey Guys
I have kind of inherited Diego from a friend who can no longer look after him as going overseas. He has never been to the vet He is 6 years old and has never had any health issues therefore I cannot provide a vet history. What happens in this situation?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Thank you for your enquiry into Bow Wow Meow pet insurance, we will require clinical notes for any vaccinations, health check and desexing, along with adoption paperwork/proof of ownership upon your first Accident or illness claim. The veterinarians notes can be printed off for you by the vet, or sent to us directly from the vet. Once we have these notes on file they will remain on record and you will not need to supply these historical records again.

chris

My daughter got him from a friend and when he was a puppy As I said he has never been to the vet I inherited him when she went over seas I have no history for him

jayasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

My Staffy Cross is 2 years old adopted from RSPCA at 8 weeks old. I have his RSPCA treatment and adoption papers as well as his yearly visits to the local vet. This is all the history that I can provide. Could I email this to somebody and get a quote with exclusions etc?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Jay, my apologies for the delay in answering this. I seemed to have skipped your question somehow. Yes, since it is difficult to provide a full vet history for adopted pets, all you really need is the adoption papers. If you can provide any other history as mentioned above, that is great. You will need to provide this information once you claim.

jay

Thank you for that. The history I have is the entire history, except for the first +/- 4 weeks before the RSPCA took him in. I will start the insurance process asap. Thanks, Jay

Karen

Karenasked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Why does Bow Wow insist on a copy of every previous Vet bill each time a new claim is made? And when we got all the documentation it was slightly more than a month after the incident and they said it had to be claimed within the month? I have decided to investigate other Pet Insurances and change.

Sue
Sue

I imagine they just need proof that certain conditions haven't been a pre existing problem. I have always paid my vet bills by bankcard and then made my claim to Bow Wow straight away so that by the time the bankcard needs paying, my claim has been paid so the bankcard bill is less daunting. They've always paid up promptly.

Ninka
Ninka

I thought we had 90 days to claim. I'll have to check. We need ongoing meds and to claim every 3 weeks would be a pain.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Karen, we only require the vet history once. Following receipt of vet history, we would not require it again. You definitely have up to 90 days to claim and we often provide more grace than 90 days? Please e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and I would be happy to investigate. Many thanks

Gem64

Gem64asked

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Also is there any option for tailoring cover to suit pre-existing conditions?

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Gem64, I am not quiet sure what you mean as you are unable to include cover for any pre-existing conditions. However, you can apply to have a pre-existing condition waived if you can prove that there have been no signs of that condition for the last 18 months whilst being insured by us.

Get an answer from our members and Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance representatives