Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance
4.1 from 1,694 reviews

Terrible service, extensive wait for claims and ridiculous loop holes

Be careful guys, 2 claims only 1 paid out after waiting 6 weeks. Vet sent reports 4 times, I have the transcripts. Tried to claim a follow up consultation for skin condition and because I asked questions about breeding during the consultation the vet notes were thorough and included this question so bow wow refused to pay the consultation claim as it mentioned breeding. Cancelling and going to fair trading

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Paul, I am sorry to hear this. I would like to investigate this. Please can you email your policy number and the above review to insurance@bowwow.com.au. It will be investigated and we will get back to you. Many thanks.

The most shockingly bad pet insurance company I have ever dealt with.

Currently seeking a full refund for all premiums paid in the last six months, due to the shockingly bad service received. They cancelled one of my dog's policies with NO notification whatsoever, claiming that his premiums hadn't been paid since February. Hmmm.. well why has money been leaving my bank account every fortnight then? Time to pay up. Fraudsters.

Number of Pets4 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Skye, I am sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number with the above review to insurance@bowwow.com.au and we will ensure this is investigated ASAP by our resolutions team. Many thanks.

Started out great but.....

I have been with the company for almost 4 years now and the premium has gone up from $800 plus to over $1000 (annual premium). I rarely made any claims throughout the 4 years I was with the company.
Pros
I did not have any issues on the occasions when I needed to make a claim
Claims were processed promptly every time (I probably made 1 claim a year of <$300 on the average).
Cons
Premium went up every year and each time it is >20%
I called just to negotiate for a better premium and was told that the premium has gone up because of the breed of the dog (golden retriever). I was offered to change the plans with an increased premium of $12000 to $15000 but this won’t help since I barely made any claims.
I felt disappointed because I have been with the company for 4 years now, paid the premiums promptly (no late payments) and rarely made any claims.
I have went to check other insurance companies and found 2 which also have great reviews (1) Pet Insurance Australia - $820 with 2 months free insurance and (2) Pet Secure $983
I will look at switching over to other companies. It is very disappointing that the company don’t value long term customers.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Horlicks, I am sorry you are disappointed. We would certainly look at this. Please email your policy number with the above review to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I will ensure it is investigated by our resolutions team who will get back to you. Many thanks, GregHi Greg, I have emailed my policy number to the email you have provided. When I have called up your call centre yesterday, your colleague is persistent that you can’t do anything about the premium. I told him I would be looking for alternatives and responded “No worries, he will put it in the notes under my policy”. Seemed like there isn’t any incentive for being a loyalty customer.Thanks Horlicks, I have received your email. Please leave with me so we can investigate more thoroughly through our resolutions team. We absolutely would like to reward loyalty and we are looking at implementing ways to do this. We will get back to you ASAP. Thanks

AVOID! AVOID! There are better insurance companies out there!

When I registered my puppy for insurance he had an ear infection – to which I indicated as an existing condition AT THAT TIME. Little did I know they’ll LOCK IT IN as a PRE-EXISTING CONDITION. Fast forward 14 month later, my dog had another bout of ear infection and this insurance company rejected my claim, in spite the fact that my vet gave SUPPORTING STATEMENTS that this is a new bout of infection (I mean…how can my dog survive 14 months of ear infection if it was the same one?).

Ear infection is very common to dogs (every dog owner I know dealt with it) - so watch out! This company is very good in taking your money but very bad in paying you back! Don’t waste your money. Look for another insurer!

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Danny, thanks for your feedback. I am sorry you are disappointed that it is not covered. However, this is a pre-existing condition on your policy. This would apply with every pet insurer on the market in Australia. The only way it can be waived is if your pet has shown no clinical signs of that condition for a period of 18 months of cover. Please email insurance@bowwow.com.au with your product review and your policy number if you would like further clarity on the above or if you would like this investigated further. Many thanks.

Watch out they start great but as your dog gets older the premiums start increasing by at least 25% or more a year.

I have been with them for 5 years with obe small claim a few years ago. Since then, they have been increasing the premium over and above 25% every year.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Dale, so sorry to hear this. Please can you email your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review. We will investigate and get back to you. Thanks.

4 years a member this year double the premium for an old dog---simply disgusting

If I could give it zero stars I would. An 11 year old dog and they have doubled the premium.
I wanted to get rid of them for the excess they charge, but this was the last straw.
Do yourself a favor and pick another insurance company

Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Tim, please can you email your policy number with the above review to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I will ensure we look at this and get back to you. Many thanks

TERRIBLE INSURANCE COMPANY

Went from RSPCA to Bow mow insurance. Bow mow insurance company is a joke they are blood sucking monsters, who such the blood out of the pet owners. This company do not care about the pets all they care is getting the money. Been with Bow Mow for few years and only this year I have put a claim and the response was very unprofessional. tried to cancel the insurance, they said I cannot cancel the insurance until end of the term . Still 4 months to pay these idiots. Wish this company goes bust very soon.

Claim DateAugust 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Joe, I am sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with us. Please email insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number plus the review and I will ensure that this is passed on to our resolutions team to investigate. Many thanks.

Horrible

Went with Bow wow meow because of all the good reviews I have heard but they have truly let me down! I have put two claims in one being quite a large claim and it’s been a month and have not received anything back and they just keep delaying it and they haven’t even checked the other claim which was put in back In Jan. Would advise to go with a different insurance company! It’s not what you want when your stressing because of medical conditions then to make it worse that your insurance company is avoiding reimbursement so your left with a big sum of money out of your pocket!

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Brook, I am very disappointed to hear this and I apologise. This is definitely not the Bow Wow way. Please can you email insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and we will get this looked at ASAP. Many thanks.

Shockingly Bad

Price increased by more than 30% after the first year and instead of being similar to other insurance companies it because the worst. Would rather burn the money than give to these morons.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi zzdavlan, it is very possible that you had a puppy promo code in place for year 1, which provides a 16% discount in the 1st year. The effective increase in yr 2 would then be 14% not 30%. However, please can you e-mail your policy number through to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and get back to you. Many thanks.

Ridiculous price hikes in premiums

I have been with these guys for several years. Just had the premiums jump 41% for one of my dogs (over $400 a year) because she turned 8, which apparently makes her a "senior" dog.

Decided to cancel both of my policies as they now want over $2,400 per year for two dogs who rarely have anything claimed back. Elected to cancel both policies and told that if I do I have to repay everything they have paid out since the last policy roll over (which I wasn't notified of), which included the first real claim I have made for one of my dogs in ages.

Told if I didn't want to pay it all back the dog would have to remain insured for another 10 months, which would be the same cost.

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Jay, please can you email your policy numbers to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review and we will investigate and get back to you. Many thanks.

Save your money

This insurance was good until I had to make a big claim, then everything changed and they tried to get out of paying, and created excessive delays hoping I would go away. What they didn't count on was that I know how to read policy documents and know what they can and can't ask for, even though they tried to pull the wool over my eyes. If I hadn't persisted and eventually went higher up in the food chain, my claim would have been rejected.
Seriously folks, don't bother with this con that is pet insurance. Work out what your premiums would have been and put that away every month into a separate bank account. When the need arises (which is mostly rare), you will have the money there.

Number of Pets0 pets
Hi there, I am sorry you feel this way. I would be happy to investigate this for you. Please email your policy number with the above review to insurance@bowwow.com.au. Many thanks.

If I could give Zero stars, I would

5 1/2 years. Made one claim. Awarded tiny amount. Seems most things aren't eligible for claim & the few things that are are lost in excess fees and ambiguous language used against any attempt to claim. Today they lost one long-term, highly dissatisfied customer who will be advising all other known pet owners to simply pop what would be premium fees into a separate account for use when needed. Bow Wow Meow were a valuable waste of time & money.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Dissatisfied Jane, we am sincerely sorry to hear this. We would be happy to investigate what occurred. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review and any other information you may have so that our resolutions team can investigate this for you. Many thanks.

Waiting a month for a claim

We’ve been with Bow Wow since Sept I think. Our dog became very ill suddenly and was diagnosed with an inoperable tumour. We had to euthanise her much to our great sorrow. Our vet and vet specialist kindly made the claim for us. Bow Wow contacted us for more info and this was sent. The vets sent the claims on 10/11 December and even allowing time for Christmas holidays this is a long wait. I’ve sent them a message asking what the hold up is. They are still taking our premiums. She has no history of any health problems.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Carole, I am so sorry to hear this. This is definitely not the service we strive for. Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review so that we can investigate ASAP. Many thanks.I actually did not mean to submit this comment. I did not click submit. I did send you an email very much the same as this review and by coincidence, maybe, you put some of the monies in to our account. We are, however, waited for a couple of items to be finalised and also the premiums from the day Delilah died (30/11/18). So I would be grateful if you could look into this.Since sending the above comment I have received all the monies due apart from the three premiums after 30/11/1918.

They use symptoms as pre existing illness to get out of claims

My puppy accidentally ingested a poison. We have pet insurance and thought (wrongly) that this would fall under accidental (during the cooling off period), but we were incorrect, in the fine print it was wrote off as an illness. During this incident she had symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea, which is typical of poisoning. This claim was rejected with both myself and my vet being very shocked at. My also puppy vomited a few times after this for different reasons including eating too fast, or eating something yuck. This is typical to puppy behaviour and these small incidents were not claimed. Recently my puppy ingested grass seeds. She vomited and blood was present. We did make a claim for this as her lining was irritated from the seeds and treatment was needed. I felt confident that i had chosen a reputable company and would have no problem with this claim. They denied it as she has vomited during the poisoning and apparently that's an illness ? I disputed it and it came back because she vomited a few times she was not eligible for this claim. They totally overlooked the grass seeds being the cause. They also didn't call or obtain any further instruction from myself or my vets. I have another 2 claims to put in which I'm expected them to reject as during the cooling of period we used a word and it is used again. This company will write off symptoms as illnesses and will reject your claims on that alone. They will also treat one claim, eg, ear infection needing follow up consultations as individual claims, even though it relates to one matter, and will use that to not pay you. Honestly, save your money and don't waste your time with this company. Or do not take your pet to the vets at all during the cooling off period as they will use anything to deny your claims. I wish i never bothered with this company.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Justaskme, I am sorry you feel this way and understand where you are coming from. Certain conditions in the PDS are not covered in the waiting period. This is standard with all pet insurance companies, however, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au and we will investigate this for you. Many thanks

Do not get this pet insurance

Chose other pet insurance providers other than Bow Wow Meow, worst customer service, wouldn't accept claims, really frustrating experience with them.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi xlh1030, I am sorry to hear you had negative experience with us. We would be happy to investigate this for you. In order to do this, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with an explanation of what occurred. Many thanks.

I'm in awe how bad they are...

I dont know what happened but dealing with claims is a joke now. I've had to raise an ombudsman case to try and get some action. They are doing ALL they can get get out of paying when they are meant to. This is becoming stressful. All i want is for them to pay like they are supposed to pay! Constant emails saying another 15 days is required to review your claim, this has happened 3 times. The system is a riggered because you can't go elsewhere otherwise its pre existing for the new insurance company. Beware of BOW WOW.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Kris, I am sincerely sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that our resolutions team can investigate ASAP. Please include your review in the e-mail so we can get this expedited and resolved. Many thanksHello, I've emailed as you've suggested. To make it worse, My frenchie now needs surgery for her nose/pallete so I did the right thing and submitted a preapproval claim only to be told that non elective surgery is not covered! Does Bow Wow honestly think that I would put my Frenchie under for something that wasn't required? My vet has provided a letter saying this isnt elective and its needed. Another 15 day delay to this claim too. Seriously, some common sense needs to be taken here. Regards KrisHi Kris, your e-mail has been received and our resolutions team will be investigating shortly. We will come back to you A.S.A.P.

Been weeks with no communication!

I have been with this insurance for over 1 year now. I have only put in one claim and have had no communication regarding this claim.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ashleigh, it is very disappointing to hear this. My sincere apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number with this review to insurance@bowwow.com.au. We will ensure it is looked at promptly. Many thanks.

Beware of insurance excess it is applied to every claim

We have been members of Bow Wow Meow insurance for 2.5 years. In July our dog was seen for a sore leg and in October for vomiting. Unlike normal insurance companies they applied the $100 excess to both claims as they were for different conditions. Unless your pet has exactly the same complaint when they see the vet the excess will be applied to EVERY claim!! Beware!!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jane M, to clarify...it is a PER condition excess as explained in the PDS. This means that the excess is charged per condition (it works this way with all the pet insurers in the market). Note, if the same condition re-appears in the same policy period, you will not be charged another excess. The policy option with no excess may be a better option as you would then only pay the 20% (since we cover 80% of eligible vet bills). If you would like clarity, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au.

The Comprehensive Cover Policy that is Not Comprehensive when it comes to BWM paying out.

Policy taken out for my Toy Poodle nearly 9 Years ago and at that time was 100% Comprehensive Accident and Illness cover however Bow Wow Meow dropped that down to 85% within 12 months without direct notification..premiums rising every year (started $18pm now over $60pm). Advised by the Vet that my 9 yr Toy Poodle when he became ill that had Hereditary problem with his mouth/teeth with multiple Abscess forming between/under/inside teeth only visible by x-ray where all bar 4 front teeth required extraction. The product statement says they cover Hereditary conditions however not this hereditary condition when it comes to paying out. They cover Cancer treatment (not day to day comfort/care) - how many people would put their Beloved Pet through Chemo and the Insurance co. know it! Better off putting the money away each month rather than giving it to Insurance Companies. My beef with this is that Pensioners and fixed Income earners take out Pet Insurance Comprehensive Cover, pay premiums to cover in case something big/costly arises for Vet Expenses and feel the Insurance Company is not holding up their end. Have cancelled Policy after just under 9 years. What a waste of money! Advise Pensioners etc. Not to waste their money..put it into a Bank account. Typical Insurance Company. Once again Big Business Wins out over the Little People.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi SusanD, I am sorry you feel this way. We have certainly paid out many millions for eligible claims that are listed on our PDS (cancer treatment is one of them and many claim for this, but there are many other conditions that are listed as eligible). Dental cover was never included in our product which is why your claim is not eligible. Regarding the 100% cover - you are correct, we did start this way about 10 years ago but this product was not sustainable as some vets were taking advantage of this and raising prices significantly as it covered 100% of the vet bill. Although many have found significant value with our pet insurance products, I am sorry you have not.Update: Friday 19th Oct. Call with Punni from Bow Wow Meow to say that upon review they will pay $73.26 pain meds (after taking $100 excess) of total bill of $1474. As policy cancelled after 9 years the last monthly recent installment taken to be refunded. Still no cover for Blood tests Pancreatic profile to check my dogs Liver, kidney and muscle enzymes which had been off previous bloods done 12 mths prior. Initial Policy. Comprehensive Cover 100% ($100 excess) with monthly pmts. of $22.80. Current payments $68 p.m. now 80% only cover. Most people would assume a policy called Comprehensive Cover would be just that. I appreciate the refund of $73.26 which is better than nothing and also that the company reached out however after paying for Comprehensive cover for 9 years with changes to amount of cover from 100% down to 80% and increase of cover from Approx $22 - 68 in that time it is very disheartening. We worked out that we would have been much better off putting the monthly payments into a bank account "Fur Babe Account".

Dog poisoned rushed to emergency vet - Not covered???

Not been with them long, was with Bupa before who were excellent and only moved because it just got too expensive.
I am really disappointed as at the time I needed them most they were not there to help.
My dog was poisoned somehow in the garden we think as he came in hiccupping/chocking and his eyes started to close. He ended up at the emergency vet having his stomach pumped.
This was not covered as an accidental injury - although spider bites, snake bites, burns, car accident etc is! How is this not an accidental injury? I am really upset and shocked they would not cover this.

Just a heads up for those looking to go with them - go in with the mindset that nothing really is covered within the waiting period and you'll be ok.

I was lucky our bill was only $330 but that is not the point.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for your feedback Csp. You are correct, this is not covered under accident cover. I am sorry we could not assist. We have identified this as a change in our cover in our 'new soon to be released' cover. We will be launching new policies in November 2018 and this will be included. Unfortunately, this won't currently assist you. However, please e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and we will investigate if there is anything we can do. Many thanks.

See all Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance reviews

My dog has had Bow Wow Pet insurance for six years and I was told today he has diabetes will his treatment be covered by Bow Wow pet insurance?
Hi Judith, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above question and I will confirm with our claims team. Many thanks.

I have 2 dogs aged 6.I have been researching pet insurance. My elderly parents( both in 90's) have asked me to take their dog ( aged 7)when they passover. Non of the dogs have any pre existing conditions and are healthy.No hesitation here but can I get a policy to cover my dogs and theirs under MY name as they are pensioners. If no, then when I do take on their dog it maybe over the age of 9. What then?
You will need a full vet history from birth for the dog or the pet insurance will be a waste of time. So if the dog has only been to the one vet should be easy enough but if not, any pet insurance will not allow you to claim and it would be a waste of money. Generally you cannot insure a pet for first time over 9 years of age but check insurance PDS.

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.
Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.I can guarantee that your premiums will skyrocket with this company which is why I cancelled the 3 policies I had with them many years ago which cost me far more than I ever got back. Also 2 policies increased with no claims as much as one policy with claims so don't believe them when they say claim history impacts premiums. Your premiums will increase to cover the cost of the many morons having expensive, unnecessary treatment just because they have insurance not because their pets need it. Take out accident only insurance elsewhere, find a great homeopathic vet who will keep your dogs healthy & you will find that costs far less.Hello I have to agree with this policy holder .. I too have just received my policy renewal for our dog who is just over one year old. Only made one small claim and my policy has increased $276 I could not believe that my policy increased by so much I have only had the policy for 1 year so I can only imagine how much it will increase next year and so on . I am now in the process of looking elsewhere for my pet insurance and cancelling this policy ( hence how I have stumbled across these reviews ) I called bow wow meow and got someone who gave me the same ridiculous response as above... excuses My opinion read all the reviews and carefully read the insurance covers and exclusions too And I agree I too have found a great homeopathic vet

Similar listings