Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance
4.1 from 1,694 reviews

Raffa

The claim ing in process is good but what I do not like is that there are only 3 consultation that you can claim on per annum and that my monthly premiums went up by 40%

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering if you may have had a promotional discount in your previous year which is why it looks like it went up a lot? Either way, I would be happy to investigate this. Please email insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and the review and I will send off to our resolutions team. ThanksBWP0411/173954/ 0olicy number and no there was no promotional discount applied in the previous year. BR Mike

Quick and transparent insurance claim

Claim was processed directly from Vet with quick acknowledgement of claim lodged.

Transparent breakdown on claim, payment and any excess clear to see.

From vet visit to payment was approx 2 weeks.

Number of Pets2 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for the review Mark. Glad the claim went well.

Easy Claims Process

We had to make a claim recently. The vet we presented to sent our claim off for us. Within days we received notification from Bow Wow Meow that our claim had been received and was being reviewed. Within a very short time our claim had been processed. We have always received great support from Bow Wow Meow.

Number of Pets2 pets
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for the review Hannah - glad it was an easy process

Quick response and fair coverage.

Bow Wow has always been quick to keep me up to date, and even more importantly quick to process and pay. As with most insurances, you always hope for a little more, but, overall they do a great job and am very satisfied.

Claim

Have a policy for my spoodle. . Have had policy for approx 4 years.
Very happy with customer service and claiming process. Hope the company doesn’t change its procedure. That claim was resolved after 3weels. Very happy

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for the review Alex and Rose. The only changes we will make is to improve the process.

Bow Wow Pet Ins response and claim process was very positive.

Setting up the initial policy for our Rhodesian Ridgeback was simplified with the aide of the online process. The critical care and Vet procedure claim re-payments were sufficient as the policy is comprehensive. The response time/s were also adequate for the processing, with staff being very helpful. The pricing of the policy has increased however over the four years of ownership. In general the insurance, online processing and staff were excellent. Bow wow lived up to the 80% return coverage, so thank you for helping in such a critical and highly stressful time.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Dean, thanks for the review. I am glad the claim process was a positive one.

Maya's review

We checked around and found Bow Wow Meow to be competitive. Our 1st claim process was a little painful but we got there eventually. Policy taken out 6 months ago.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Paul. Sorry it took so long but glad it came through in the end. Once we have received all the vet history, the claim process definitely becomes more smooth.

Good policy but feel consultions rebate could be higher
Been with BowWow for five Years and our claims have been handled efficiently
And money transferred to our bank in a timely manner

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Took time but all good in the end

Been with BWM for 4 years. This claim was quite extensive for a bad injury. Insurers took their time to go over all the details (which is understandable) but I was very satisfied with the service overall. Happy to keep my three animals insured with BWM

Insurance claim madeYes

Be sure you fully understand how the excess works. Claims processed promptly.

I have been with BWM Pet Insurance for 1 year and have made 2 previous claims for an eye issue but as the total of the two bills were not greater than the excess we received no refund, (no problem with that). We are now almost at the end of our 12 month policy. Unfortunately our dog needed to have a Laparotomy Operation for a bowel blockage. Making claims is extremely easy and I felt they were processed very promptly with no hesitation. I am really just disappointed with myself for not fully understanding that there is a seperate excess for each issue not just an annual excess like for humans. I am not sure how I missed this information prior to paying my premium, its possibly lost in amongst the brain numbing jargon you have to read through. May be it needs to be made more clear for the average person. So needless to say I am very confused as to whether it is worth having pet insurance unless my dog is having major surgery every year as I can not see that I would be receiving many reimbursements. My previous 2 dogs that I owned at seperate times lived for 16 years each. Their vet bills consisted of their normal vaccinations which you are not covered for anyway and of course when the time came that they had to be euthanised. I had no insurance for either of them so for 32 years I wouldn't of made a claim yet would of been paying my premium for nothing. Very unsure, to renew or not......?

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Vicky, thanks for your feedback, I do understand where you are coming from. Like all insurances, it only becomes worthwhile if something happens and you need to find a large amount of funds. Pet Insurance does provide peace of mind if ever you receive a large vet bill. In terms of the excess, please call 1800 668 502 to discuss options around a policy with $Nil excess. We have also launched new products and it is worthwhile discussing our new policies that have a choice of 60%, 70% and 80% benefit rates without an excess. Hope this helps.

Pays for itself

I've been a member since September 2018, since then I've made two claims in regards to skin issues for my puppy. I got 80% back on both times, which is great! However the part that we found frustrating is the first claim was VERY drawn out (took just over a month), Bow Wow Meow needed to get our puppy's full vet history (which was no issue) however between them and the clinic they kept saying they were awaiting further information while the clinic said they'd sent the info through. The positive is that the staff at Bow Wow Meow were easy to talk to and were helpful in trying to follow our claim up. The second claim was far less hassle and was processed in a few days. As the owner of a young pet, pet insurance is already paying for itself!

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for the feedback Nicole. We noticed that many of our policy holders felt the same way with their first claim which is why we put a team together a team to now manage the process of collecting all the required documents from vets on behalf of our policy holders.

Easy claiming process

I have made several claims in the past 18 months. The online process is simple with some recent additions which now give me access to more claims information. I am so far very satisfied with bow wow meow.

May 14th 2019 Update: Wouldn’t be without it.

Claiming is easy. I like that I can view claims details and I appreciate that you will contact my vet if I’ve been unable to get clinical notes electronically, one of my vets refuses to provide me with clinical notes. The premiums are expensive but so are vet bills.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks for the review Karen. Good to hear that it is easy to process your claim.

Professional service

Have been with them 4 years and had several claims dealt with promptly. I like that there is a portal for checking on claims and that you can upload receipts etc easily.

Thanks for sharing Louise S

Very helpful when things got rough

I have been with Bow Wow Meow insurance for about 4 years. I was able to easily make and receive my claim to assist with my dog's cancer treatment payments. Unfortunately, the treatments were unsuccessful in the end but I was able to afford his cremation.

Insurance claim madeYes
So sorry to hear that the cancer treatments were unsuccessful Claire. It is always hard losing our furry friends. Glad we could help out with the bills.

Quick response but could benefit from human touch

About 6 months. Unfortunately I needed to claim after my dog required surgery, then euthanasia following a dingo attack. The company responded to my claim quickly and the process was straightforward. Perhaps it's asking too much of an insurance company, but if the pet has died in relation to the claim, some acknowledgement would be comforting for the owner.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for the feedback Cathy. I am so sorry to hear that your dog had to be euthanised and apologise for you not receiving this message earlier as we do have a process where we send you a message regarding your loss. Please can you e-mail your policy number with this review and I will investigate why this occurred. Many thanks.

Satisfied customer

Four years. I've made numerous claims for an accident-prone dog and one for his less accident-prone companion, and aside from a couple of minor administrative glitches have had no problems with Bow Wow Meow. From my experience so far, I recommend the company - and I'm very glad that my dogs are insured.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for sharing Christine. Glad we could assist.

Never expected to use it but have needed to use it

2 years, Its a lot of money to pay on a regular basis, but when required it is a god sent.
Very happy with the claims and portion of refund.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for the review Tahlia - glad we could assist!

Operation for pet dog

I have been member for 9 years. Recently my dog needed to have very large tumor removed. The cost was around $1400. The claim was handled by the vet and I promptly received a large portion back. I'm very happy with the service and am considering geeting insurance for other animals

Insurance claim madeYes
Good to hear we were able to assist Ric. Thank you for the review.

Claim settled quickly.

The claim process is now so easy, our vet uploads everything and we don’t have to lift a finger. Prior to our pets recent surgery we applied for pre-approval to ensure the procedure was covered, this was approved which put our minds at ease knowing we’d receive 80% rebate. The portal has finally been upgraded, great for tracking claims. The only reason we didn’t give 5 star rating... it’s not that easy to find what your pet is actually covered for, the PDS is long winded. A simplified table of what’s covered would be excellent.

March 5th 2019 Update: Claims process is a breeze

The claims process is a breeze. So glad we had insurance after $7000 knee surgery for our little girl, 80% back is well worth the monthly premium. Highly recommend to family and friends.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Hi HannaC, thanks for the review and the feedback regarding the PDS. We will look into providing a more simplified summary of cover.

Good and Bad

My 6 year old golden retriever suddenly stopped eating, and got worse over 2 weeks. Initially, vets carried out tests, tried medication and changing food. This bill was over $700 and we got $514 back. I was very happy with this and the process was easy, quick and efficient.

However, sadly my dogs sickness was terminal cancer and we lost him last week. I am now in the process of claiming for more diagnostics and his euthanasia. I was not happy to be contacted for this claim, asking for a full vet history for Dave since 2014. My logical mind (and someone who was worked in claiming before) would imagine that when other claims have been lodged prior, that the vet history that was previously given would be recorded against my policy so a policyholder does not have to give it every time a claim is lodged, wasting the time in the policy holder obtaining their payout. Vet history does not change. Yes - if there has been a new vet since the last claim, of course that would need to be updated.
It would have been easy and logical to see that my claim was 2 weeks prior, for the same dog, at the same vet, so please, in a very trying time, do not ask for information you readily have at your disposal.

That is my only grievance and I will continue to insure with bow wow should we get another dog.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Bel, we appreciate the feedback and definitely agree with you. I am not sure why you were asked for vet history as we would have had this already (since you had claimed before). I am sorry for this and happy to investigate for you. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review so that we can investigate. Many thanks.

See all Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance reviews

My dog has had Bow Wow Pet insurance for six years and I was told today he has diabetes will his treatment be covered by Bow Wow pet insurance?
Hi Judith, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above question and I will confirm with our claims team. Many thanks.

I have 2 dogs aged 6.I have been researching pet insurance. My elderly parents( both in 90's) have asked me to take their dog ( aged 7)when they passover. Non of the dogs have any pre existing conditions and are healthy.No hesitation here but can I get a policy to cover my dogs and theirs under MY name as they are pensioners. If no, then when I do take on their dog it maybe over the age of 9. What then?
You will need a full vet history from birth for the dog or the pet insurance will be a waste of time. So if the dog has only been to the one vet should be easy enough but if not, any pet insurance will not allow you to claim and it would be a waste of money. Generally you cannot insure a pet for first time over 9 years of age but check insurance PDS.

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.
Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.I can guarantee that your premiums will skyrocket with this company which is why I cancelled the 3 policies I had with them many years ago which cost me far more than I ever got back. Also 2 policies increased with no claims as much as one policy with claims so don't believe them when they say claim history impacts premiums. Your premiums will increase to cover the cost of the many morons having expensive, unnecessary treatment just because they have insurance not because their pets need it. Take out accident only insurance elsewhere, find a great homeopathic vet who will keep your dogs healthy & you will find that costs far less.Hello I have to agree with this policy holder .. I too have just received my policy renewal for our dog who is just over one year old. Only made one small claim and my policy has increased $276 I could not believe that my policy increased by so much I have only had the policy for 1 year so I can only imagine how much it will increase next year and so on . I am now in the process of looking elsewhere for my pet insurance and cancelling this policy ( hence how I have stumbled across these reviews ) I called bow wow meow and got someone who gave me the same ridiculous response as above... excuses My opinion read all the reviews and carefully read the insurance covers and exclusions too And I agree I too have found a great homeopathic vet

Similar listings