Removes hair efficiently
Overpriced and ineffective
Prior to purchasing the Braun SE9961 Silk Epil epilator I had owned a reliable Emjoi Gently Gold for about 15 years. It's a workhorse, it does the job quickly, effectively and with relatively little pain. However after 15 years I decided I wanted to upgrade it. So when I forked out nearly twice as much for the Braun 9 series epilator I had high expectations.
First, if you are looking for an epilator buy an epilator, do not be attracted to one offering any number of extra attachments such as the Braun SE9961 as a) you don't really need the...m b) they are ineffective and you won't use them - trust me. Stick to buying a simple epilator. Secondly - others may find the pivoting and removable head useful but I have found it nothing but pure frustration. When I use the epilator the head regularly pinches my skin causing the head to come away from the epilator. This forces me to switch it off and remove the head that had locked its teeth painfully onto my skin and click it back onto the epilator. If I had my choice again I would choose an epilator that had no removable head. This model does to allow you to swap it for other attachments which frankly have been equally useless. If you want an exfoliater for example, my suggestion is go to the Body Shop and buy the Cactus Brush and save yourself a load of money. I bought this product in May 2016, already part of the pivoting head has fallen off. The head in my view is not the easiest to clean either - hairs get stuck in places they cannot be removed from. Possibly the most disappointing part of this epilator is that Braun seems to have forgotten that they were designing an epilator in the first place. Whilst I understand they are probably just trying to differentiate themselves from their competitors products, I'd rather wish they just stick to designing a good epilator. They have loaded this product with so many extra gadgets/l and attachments and haven't got the basics right. Namely - it should remove hair quickly and easily. Unlike my trusty Emjoi I find myself going back over the same area over and over again, despite keeping my skin taught and holding it correctly. It is sometimes astonishing what this epilator misses despite its claims to have micro-grip tweezer technology and extra wide head. Instead I find myself reaching for the Emjoi to finish up the job. Finally - I find this epilator lacks power, even on the faster setting. How it could be used for exfoliating is mystifying - it doesn't have the power to deliver. Much to my annoyance the epilator cannot be used whilst plugged in - only once charged. You might argue that it's supposed to be cordless but in hindsight I'd rather have a plug in epilator like my Emjoi (which can also be used cordless) so that it had sufficient power to do the job - the Braun 9 series, even when fully charged often feels like its running off a weak battery.
Questions & Answers
what is theprice
Mmmm! From memory I paid just over $200 at the shaver shop. I got the skin spa set which came with face brushes. There’s another model that around $300 that comes with a mini epilator ( battery operated) for eyebrows. Good but chews through batteries. I bought mine separately. And there’s another version just under $200 that just has the epilator. If you think you wouldn’t use the face brushes I’d go for that. They vary in price so shop around.
Which better Braun silk 985 or 9300?
Is this suitable for the upper lip and chin
Get an answer from our members
- The Braun Silk-épil 9 Epilator lets you enjoy smooth skin for up to 4 weeks.
- Being able to be used both wet and dry means you can take your beauty routine into the bath or shower, allowing for more comfort and convenience.
- The epilator also comes with a shaver head, a trimmer cap, a power cap, and a facial cap, so you can remove hair the way you want.
- It has SensoSmart™ technology that guides along your skin and removes more hair while exerting less pressure on your skin.
- A 2 hour charge time gets you 50 minutes of cordless use.
- Better contact with your skin is ensured with the machine’s pivoting head, which effortlessly glides over the contours of your body.
- The epilator is advertised as being able to catch hair 4 times shorter than wax - that’s 0.5mm, to be exact - so you don’t need to worry about growing your hair out before using the device.
Points of praise:
- Most reviewers found that the epilator removed hair efficiently, with some saying they could do a whole leg in just a few minutes. The quick epilating might be partially thanks to the wide epilation head.
- They also found that the epilator had a quick charge time and was able to hold its charge for a decent amount of time, letting them easily get through the areas they wanted to epilate.
- Reviewers also found that it wasn’t particularly painful to use this epilator.
- MPN: 9/890 and SES9-720
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.