Breville Barista Express

Breville Barista Express Questions & Answers (page 18 of 36)

BES870, BES860
Listing monitored by Breville

705 questions from our users

weam
weamasked
Barista Express BES870

what is the difference between the model with 1700w and 1850w ??

Suzi B
Suzi Basked
Barista Express BES860

The compartment where you open to put water in won’t open. Any help?

Sergeasked
Barista Express BES870

Hi, have my 870xl for more than 4 yrs works well until few weeks ago. starts normaly then silent during pre-infusion and starts again for normal infusion. Still good coffe. What happened with the pre-infusion cycle? Pump or electronic problem?

Phia
Phiaasked
Barista Express BES870

Why would the filter light be flashing on my bes870 flashing?

Sam Wiseasked
Barista Express BES870

Hello. Recently when pulling shots, my machine doesn't automatically stop in either single or double shot. I tried programming the shots for 22 seconds, and even tried the factory reset. Nothing seems to work. I have to stop shots automatically. The pressure gauge is very finicky as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm using the same grind size as always; the same beans, and I'm tamping the same way as I always have. Has anybody experienced anything like this before?

Rowan
Rowan

Hi Sam,

I’m not sure how long you have had the machine or how long it was working?

Are you using supermarket bought beans? I have only had luck with one or 2 brands from the supermarket a lot of brands sell beans that are over 3 months old. Some were so bad I had to use the pre-ground filter to get any type of brew out of them.

I would try a different bean / roast and see if the pressure reaches the right mark. If nothing else works I hope the machine is still under warranty?

Hey Rowan,

I appriciate the response. I'm using the same beans that i've been using for the past 2 years since I bought the machine. Machine is past warranty. I took it apart, and didn't see any clogs in the lines. I've descaled it. Tried reprogramming it. I have to manually stop the shots being pulled. Now, sometimes the auto grinder won't stop. I have to manually stop that as well. It's got to be an electrical programing issue. As far as the pressure gauge goes...who knows lol. I know those things on breville machines don't hold up that well.

Rama
Ramaasked
Barista Express BES860

I had mine for about 4 years now. I just changed it's Solenoid valve assembly about 2 monts ago and did cleaning-decalcyfiying use vinegar-water 30-60 and was working back normally. After about 3 months, the espresso getting less and less pressure at its shower head and I decided to changed its pump (all original parts). Its getting worst after that. The pump has a normal noise indicate its working but after 2-3 seconds the noise become very weak and no water came out from its head and no pressure at its gauge. Steam wand working perfectly. I try to contact Breville tehnical support but no luck. Please help.

Serge

Hi Rama, got the same issue. First low water pressure out of the head and normal sound. After cleaning the hoses myself: no improuvement.
I asked the repairman and i instaled the solenoid bar like yours: no improuvement until i saw some grey mesh inside a tube i forgot to clean near
the compression chamber: problem solved....until recently....low or no pre-infusion cycle but infusion is ok. Still asked the repairman and told me
as long as the coffe is good....why try to find a needle? Still waiting for my pre-infusion cycle
Serge (asked feb 24)

Davide A
Davide Aasked
Barista Express

How do I get my Breville Barista 870XL to 92 degrees??

Sam B
Sam Basked
Barista Express BES860

Hi there, my Breville BE860XL is having grinder problems. The grinder will regularly get stuck and make a very loud noise. When this happens it stops grinding beans. Any thoughts? Possible to fix or replace the grinder? Sam

Palmplex
Palmplex

We had no problem for years then started having grinder issues. We worked out we had changed coffee bean supplier. Must have been too hard to grind so we swapped back to Vittoria Espresso and the problem went away.

Jungle Jim
Jungle Jimasked
Barista Express

I have a 6 month old Barista 870xl. Everything working fine except dedicated hot water. After pulling shot I can get a few streams of hot water and then turns to steam and then nothing. If I just ask for hot water first it kinda spurts and stops. Is this a valve issue?

Ray Masked
Barista Express BES870

My 870 coffee machine's grind overfills single filter, is set to 1 cup and control knob is turned BACK as far as it goes to approx 10 o'clock position??

Andrew57

Try a finer grind, this normally reduces the amount of coffee dispensed.

Asma

I use the double cup filter and I have the grinder set on 5 try that and make sure you press the coffee in the cup as hard as you can

Ray M

Thanks for your replies, will try them out.
I have used the double cup before but found the coffee result too strong, can't reduce quantity enough because tamper jams on ridge on side etc.

Jirik H
Jirik Hasked
Barista Express BES870

I've just bought a brand new one of these. After much stuffing around with grinds, I am still unable to get a consistent, good quality espresso.

Currently the extraction is averaging 15 seconds total, but the pressure gauge starts in the pre-extraction area, then spikes quickly to the over pressure area before stopping. This makes no sense???? If i make the grind finer, the extraction should theoretically take longer but the pressure will be miles outside the espresso range.

I don't want to regret buying this please? Any ideas?

Andrew57

You can adjust the extraction time by pressing the program button before hitting the single or double shot button. It will then keep going till you press the shot button again and save that time. Also if it’s over shooting on the pressure then your grind is too fine. Suggest going a bit more course or less coffee or tamp less so that it doesn’t overshoot.

Asma

I think it’s got something to do with the way you press your coffee
I have mine grind at 5 and I press it as hard as I can
But when my husband uses it it does what you saying
Press as hard as you can

Pumpy

By your description it sounds like you are grinding the coffee far too fine, I consistently get the needle dead centre of the extraction zone.

AP67
AP67asked
Barista Express BES870

Our 870, which is otherwise great, overfills even on the lowest grind amount. this has happened since we bought the machine but we have put up with it. Probably a couple of years old now and likely out of warranty. seems like this is a common problem. have tried all different types of coffee. any thoughts? Has Breville developed a solution as it is not good enough. Thanks

bruce
bruce

This has never happened to my machine . Is it only happening when you use the dosing manually or setting the grind amount for automatic as you can set the machine to fill the portafilter either way. otherwise maybe ring breville or go on their website

Pumpy

I have only had the 870 for about six weeks although I had the previous model, an 860 for about six years. I certainly have had no problem with over dosing, I don't often bother using "the Razor" as I find the dose quantity very consistent.

Gavin T
Gavin Tasked

Hi,
When I turned my Breville coffee machine on it made a beeping sound and doesn't allow the water to flow through the coffee. The steamer still works but it has been dripping water from underneath when making a coffee or when steaming the milk. Any suggestions?

Nak
Nak

Hey Gavin, could there perhaps be a build up of coffee somewhere? Is it still in warranty?

JBro
JBro

Check your water tank is in properly and the seal looks ok. It may be getting a little water for steam but not enough for a shot of coffee. Try running a shot without beans to confirm the coffee is not so fine that it's causing a blockage.

jeff
jeffasked
Barista Express BES860

My breville BES860xl will not turn on and there are times that it turns on and off by itself? Any ideas?

Breville
BrevilleBreville

Hi Jeff, this matter may require service of the appliance. I notice you mention the XL in your model number, are you in North America? We would be happy to assist in arranging things after a quick conversation directly!

Ferdi
Ferdiasked

Hi,
I'm trying to register my Barista Express BES870 (which is working like a dream), but can't find the batch code anywhere. Please point me in the right direction as to where it is on the machine?

David C.
David C.

I had a difficult time as well, you will find it at the bottom of the machine there is PDC written then next to it are 4 digit numbers quite difficult to see.
Hope this help.

polizei
polizei

Hi Ferdi,
Please follow this page. It is showing where batch code is. http://www.brevilleusasupport.com/bes870xl/warranty/

I hope it helps, umarim isini gorur.

Rachael hird
Rachael hirdasked
Barista Express BES870

Hi our coffee machine spews coffee powder and water into the cup when pressure increases. Is there a rubber seal that needs replacing and if so what is the part number. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Rich

mike

sorry. this is not an issue i have had or a part that i have noticed as yet. i assume the part that hols the coffee is clean of excess grind around the edges before locking into place? there may be some dried coffee stuck up preventing a good seal? thats the only ideas i have.

Michael M
Michael Masked
Barista Express BES870

When I make the first latte the machine works great. The pressure gauge is right in the center, the shots pour perfect. However, when I try and make another latte or americano immediately after (for another person) the pressure gauge goes all the way up and the coffee hardly even drips through. I’ve tried tamping with not as much pressure, I’ve even changed the grind size - Nothing seems to work except waiting 15 to 20 minutes to make another coffee! Help! What’s going on??

mike

not something I have experienced with mine. but to be fair I have only made back to back coffees twice. i would try running the machine without the coffee holder in it (single cup buttin) for a few seconds before reloading just to maybe purge the water line. may not work, but its just an idea. let me know how it goes - im interested to see how the machine handles large irders!

Heather T
Heather T

I have the same problem! The extraction process is sooo slow then the steam function won’t work. Any suggestions?

Stefania Invernici
Stefania Inverniciasked
Barista Express BES870

Hello, I have just purchased the Breville Barista Expresso 870 and followed the manual instructions to enjoy my coffee. Problem: the temperature gauge does not move and there is no way to understand when the machine should be ready. I have tried to make the coffee despite the issue, however the coffee come out weak, tasteless and not hot enough. I have not found trouble shooting suggestion for this problem in the manual or online. Do I need to return the machine?

mike

i have watched my needle move too much and not enough. i simply adjusted the grind volume and courseness to get how i like it. i did just run the machi e though with no gring holder in as a initial flush also. is steam and hot water hot?

Sharon C
Sharon Casked
Barista Express BES860

how to turn off light, the clean me when it is clean

mike

Mine has not come up with that yet. ive used it maybee 15 times. i did the pre rinse before i used it, as in, ran water and steam through it. i will add to this if i get an answer

Patriciaasked
Barista Express BES870

Just purchased this yesterday and am trying to set it up. Doing the initial flush, and when the machine is turned on the Filter Size LEDs flash signifying the water tank isn't locked into place. Have tried more than several times and it seems to be fine. Water and steam come out but the lights still continue to flash. Any ideas how to fix this?

Bird
Bird

Hi Patricia, we have the same problem! Did you get any joy from anyone to fix this? I’m seriously thinking about getting my 11 year old niece over to work it out. I noticed that your question was dated Dec30, 2017 & I’m hoping that it was fixed by now.

Patricia

Hi Bird - I figured it out. The coffee bean hopper wasn’t properly engaged. Once I made sure it was in the correct and locked position, it worked perfectly. I love this machine and can’t believe I lived without wfor so long. BTW- not sure how I found this forum that seems to be Australia-based. I live in Vancouver Canada. Good luck and hopefully this will help you.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Breville Barista Express