Breville Duo-Temp Pro BES810BSS

Breville Duo-Temp Pro BES810BSS Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

MPNs: 35904110, 947 and BES810BSS
Listing monitored by Breville

37 questions from our users

Doods N
Doods Nasked

Can i use this for small coffee shop?

Ozbaker

As I only use mine at home for maybe 5 or so cups per day plus tea using the hot water feature, I can't honestly say whether this machine would be able to carry out commercial duty. But I will say that it's very well made and very sturdy. I guess it's up to you but maybe, at least, a higher level model with dual boilers and bigger pump may be better? Perhaps a call to. Breville may help? They're very helpful usually. Hope this helps?

BRUCE
BRUCEasked

Does any one else have a thumping noise when steaming?

Ozbaker

Yep. It's the pump & a normal. Worry when it DOESN'T make a noise.

Grahamasked

My Breville Duo Temp model BES810 has had the steam nozzle break off where it attaches to the unit. The machine works great so this seems like a real shame. More precisely the plastic sleeve on the inner section of where it attaches has perished and given way. Apart from this the whole machine is perfect. What can be done too fix this ?

Mike W
Mike W

Stick to espressos and long blacks?? :)

but seriously, that would be the perfect machine for me. So if you find it isn't fixable, find somebody who only drinks black coffee to contribute towards a replacement.
(I presume postage to Gladstone would rule me out.)

Ozbaker

Never come across this problem so can't be much help. But suggest looking on the net for Breville Spare parts dealers.. there are a couple in Oz. As the steam wand is just a part a FB joins to the unit with a nut etc it should be available as a spare. Or perhaps call Breville for info.. or even the part but unless under warranty it may be an expensive exercise. Hope this is of some help.

Graham

Funny enough I’m a black coffee man but the wife...... given its still in great nick it’s such a pity. It’s a little plastic sleeve inside the attachment that has deteriorated and parted

Thaifanasked

I have only made one coffee with the machine, as it was bought it only this morning. It is a replacement for the "S" brand Cafe Crema 2 which like many others on Product Review, started to operate very hot, with the pump uncontrolled and filling the drip tray, as well as leaking.

If you would please answer this question & comment on my observations, I would appreciate it.

When running the Espresso into the mug, unlike the "S" brand, it cuts out at about 30 seconds, leaving the mug 1/2 full. I know they recommend 30 seconds of extraction, but is this normal for this machine?

The other things is, that after having run the coffee, and then frothing the milk, and turning the knob back to the standby central position, the machine comes alive again with noise and steam sound *briefly. Is this normal?

I thank you in advance for your reply!

Chaitali
Chaitali

I know this question was asked a while ago but I just saw it and this is something I can answer for others to see as well so I will take the opportunity. I am sure you, Thaifan, have already found the answers by now. I don't know about the cutting out at 30 sec part, since this is essentially a manual machine. Mine cuts out after a much longer time if i leave it running, and that is a safety feature to not let the machine run dry. I am supposed to stop the extraction myself at the desired time which is the recommended 30 sec.
But the machine coming alive after frothing the milk is a normal process. The steam is made at a much higher temp than the coffee so after frothing, the machine cools down to the coffee temp again. Thats what the machine is doing when it seems to come alive briefly, cooling down.

Thaifan

Yes, the machine should make a noise after frothing the milk. The machine is cooling the thermoblock, so if you straight away make another cup of coffee, the next cup of coffee will be the right temperature and not burnt. You will read reviews of other machine, in which Reviewers say the coffee had a burnt taste. This will not happen with the Breville Duo Pro.

And yes, the crema will stop flowing after a short period, Sometimes you will get more crema, and I think this has to do with how much pressure you applied in tamping the coffee with the built in tamper.

Colin J
Colin Jasked

Why does my duo temp pro automatically shut off after roughly 40 seconds? I thought it was manually? Is this a safety feature? Is it hard on the machine?

Tenn G
Tenn G

If your talking about it shutting off whilst giving you a shot of coffee, this is because it is a standard shot of coffee, you then add your milk or hot water depending on what sort of coffee your making. This stops you from getting burnt coffee taste.

Klosss
Klosssasked

The machine worked fine now it doesn't make that noise when brewing coffee and barley any coffee is coming out. I cleaned everything out and still nothing. Any help?

BrevilleBreville

This would be a sign of over extraction, a result of using too fine of a grind size with dual wall pressurized filters. Try a slightly coarser grind size or the single wall non pressurized filters.

ada
adaasked

Semi Automatic machine, office use, repeat. Separate grinder. Can you help?

Pen
Pen

Not sure exactly what the question is as it is not clear.

Maurice
Mauriceasked

I have just purchased the breville duo boiler 920, the coffee short black taste very bitter. Can any one please offer any suggestions on adjusting the machine. I have tried several brands of coffee with the same results. I used both the dual wall and single wall baskets. The extraction flow seems to be normal. I have adjusted the various temperature extraction to no avail. The milk texturing is great.

BrevilleBreville

Hi Maurice - customer service can give you some advice - 1300 139 798. Thanks, Roberta

Ines
Inesasked

Hi, does anyone manage to get a decent flow out of this machine with beans that have a roasted date older than a month (see review by Ines)? Trying to work out if I've picked up a lemon....

Barbara
Barbara

I have occasionally used beans roasted just over a month ago and have had no problem with the flow. I store the beans in the dark and replenish the grinder every morning with just enough to see me through the day.

DLee
DLee

Ines, sorry to hear you are having these teething problems. It must be so frustrating! I have used a variety of beans - from freshly-roasted beans to "supermarket grade" (I use Aldi beans) and I must say the grind settings are very different between the different qualities of beans. From experience, beans older than (meaning either from the roasted date for fresh beans or opened date for packaged beans) 3 weeks start going very stale and almost impossible to pull a decent shot with. The older the finer you need to grind your beans. What grinder have you got? I always thought I had a good grinder in the breville dose control pro until I got a prosumer level grinder (Macap M4). The difference was like night and day. Another source of your problem might be gunk accumulated under the shower screen. Read this: http://www.home-barista.com/tips/breville-duo-temp-pro-channeling-problem-t41884.html
Remove it, clean it and see if that helps. Hope your problems get solved.

ardy01

I used a bean called extra crema (Kimba) roasted June this year and got great coffee out of it. Just read your review and I think you have a lemon. Return it and get a new one. It took me a few hours and about 250grams of coffee to get a good flow out of mine but once I had it great!
I have put it away as we plan to use it on trips, I would have continued to use it as the coffee was excellent. I was very surprised as I was prepared for a poorer coffee compared to my main machine but it is hard to tell the difference.
Don't get a different machine these are great.

Hayley
Hayleyasked

Where can I buy replacement filters for this coffee machine?

zephy
zephy

Harvey would have it but if you are not in the rush, eBay. Call before you go though, I learnt that the hard way

Sar
Sar

Good question. I just bought mine 2 months ago and I think it comes with an extra filter. Check with retalier, Amazon or Breville. Sorry

Drew

I buy my BWF100 from TruWater. http://www.truwater.com.au/commercial-food-systems/coffee-machine-filters/breville-bwf100-replacement-coffee-charcoal-water-filters-6 at $20 for 6, plus $7.30 postage.

Hayley
Hayleyasked

where can I get replacement filters for the coffee machine?

Nikki
Nikki

Order online I think

ardy01

I had a Sunbeam machine and grinder (only wanted the grinder but thought I would stick m/c on ebay) given to me as it was not working. I took the filter out and ran it like that. Spoke to the tech and he said it is there to soften hard water to reduce calcium build up in the boiler. I use rainwater from my roof and therefore it did nothing for me.
If your water is soft you can take it out.

alarcilamasked

Hi All,
Can breville or someone advise if there's a way to disable the auto turn off function in this machine? I personally think leaving this machine turn on for at least 30 minutes improves the shots a lot as water temperature seems to be really low (under 89c). Problem is it auto offs every 15 mins.

Drew

Just writing to concur that I often turn it on, then make sure I push a button 10 minutes later to keep it on. It would be nice if there was a way to keep it on longer.

ardy01

Another one that agrees with Alarcilam and Drew. What a pity it cannot stay on longer, 1 hour would suit me.
I'll call Breville and post back what they say.

Joshasked

Hi my machine is making 80 dcb noise while making coffe .Checked in service they saying its fine? We didnt get earmuffs in the box? Any comments on this please?

Drew

Coffee machines involve the use of a high pressure pump - and these certainly do make noise. Mine makes a low hum noise during the start of the extraction - and then a much louder vibrating noise during the high pressure extraction.

After steaming the machine automatically purges the coil, which again involves use of the pump and hence is also noisy.

I have not measured the audio level to compare to your 80 dBA. If you used an app to take this measurement I'd be happy to try to replicate the measurement to compare actual results.

I don't know if you are joking about the ear muffs, but there are not meant to be any ear muffs in the box. At least there were none in mine. Maybe a Breville representative will be able to confirm this.

Drew

I used a generic app on my phone, and measured about 83 dBA at a distance of about 60 cm from the BES810.

However I also measured the noise that came from boiling water in my kettle and it reached 79 dBA at the same distance.

Josh

Ok ,,earmuffs where joke but seems terrible noisy to me. I had before Krups coffee machine and this one was running on around 70 dcb .Also 85 dcb is already noise that can do damage to you hearing. So we are pretty close to that . I have big regrets buying this machine, it is very annoying.. S... happens .

Jules
Julesasked

What is the best type of coffee to use with this machine?

Phil M.Breville

Freshly roasted quality coffee with a "roasted on" date printed on the bag. You won't find this in a supermarket! Try, Mecca, Pablo & Rustys, Toby's Estate, Campos and may other specialty coffee roasters. ^PM

alarcilamasked

Hi all, does someone know if it is normal for this machine to flush water using just in half of the showerscreen?
Not sure if this can contribute to a lack of quality of my espressos.
Thanks.

Syd Review
Syd Review

I have this same problem. Machine is 3 days old, and just brewed 5 cups. Didn't notice whether it was like this out of the box. When we do the 30 second flush to clean after making coffee, it is obvious just comes out one side.

I called customer service and waiting response.

alarcilam

I took myself the initiative of removing the showerscreen and noticed by design the hole (water pipe) is in the left side...dont know why not in the middle as other machines. Therefore the right side of the ahower screen was full of coffee grinds reason why It flushes water one side only.. As the real pressure comes from one side it struggles to remove coffee grinds from the other. Solution? What I do is not to overdose, tamp firmly to minimise the amount of grinds filtering up and remove the showerscreen every 2 weeks to get it soaked and cleaned, for me that's the only downside of the machine apart of that is pretty good for the price point. Hope it makes sense.

Ozbaker

Try flushing the shower head with the portafilter AND filter basket locked in place. This provides a bit of back pressure/wash. Seems to work on mine.

Peta Horton
Peta Hortonasked

what is the right grind to use for this machine?

Phil M.Breville

You'll need a fine grind for espresso. Pre ground coffee will not give you a good result, use a Breville BCG600 for great results with fresh whole beans, freshly roasted of course. ^PM

ardy01

Peta - Old question but I thought I would add my thoughts for others benefit.

I had a problem with the grind and getting drinkable coffee and crema in the first few days. I went through many coffees experimenting as I guessed it was my fault. I found for the large flat white that I drink, the double (single wall) basket did not cut it. I tried the single basket and had to back off my grind (ie larger particles in the basket) a fair way from my semi-professional machine to get a coffee that wasn't over extracted and once I got it right it is great.

Now I can turn out a flat white with great mouthfeel and crema that's better than most coffee shops.

Note: These comments are dependent on the coffee you buy. It is a crop it can vary from kg to kg. It is also dependent on weather that will affect the grind.

Lewi
Lewiasked

Loving this machine so far. BUT...the extraction process stops after 15 seconds or so and I've only got about 1cm of coffee in my cup. So I have to turn the dial back to standby and then back to extraction and repeat this about 7-8 times to get enough coffee. It still made a nice hot coffee but this will be annoying. I thought it wasn't meant to be an automatic shot. Anyone had this problem? Know how to fix it?

Sophie U
Sophie U

Hi there, sorry to hear that your machine is doing that to you! I have never come across that problem. My machine does not have a time limit when extracting a shot. I've had it going for longer than 30secs on some occasions to get hot water for tea. So I think if you're getting cut off at 15secs it must be a glitch. And having that discontinuous extraction must be doing weird stuff to the taste. It might not be the answer you were hoping to get but if it's still possible, I would suggest bringing it at the purchase store and getting a new breville. Bad luck perhaps?

Ashley
Ashley

I have this machine and have run it past the max recommended extraction time (which I think from memory may be 30s). I had to do this with an ultra-fine ground to try and get a decent crema. The machine didn't turn off doing this and I regularly ran it past 15s when I used it to get enough espresso, so it may be a fault with the machine.

My machine is currently at the service centre for a possible fault investigation (see my review on this machine) which I am told may take up to five weeks, so be prepared for a wait if you take it back.

Will89
Will89

The machine has a two stage extraction. Low pressure and then higher pressure. It sounds like your machine isn't going onto the high pressure mode. I would get it repaired.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines