Breville Infuser BES840

56 questions from our users

sunshine makes me happy

sunshine makes me happyasked

I have had nothing but problems with this machine I bought in August 2019. Right now I am trying to run a descale function....holding the 2 cup button down and then holding the power button just turns off the machine. Please help?

bellamy
bellamy

make sure the machine is off first, no lights on, hold 2 cups button, then also power button for 5secs until cleaning cycle starts/cleaning light flashes. I found a youtube clip with 2 lame guys but once you get it right you get it right, happy brewing

Rebekah

Rebekahasked

After steaming milk the machine usually makes a loud noise, like its cooling down. But this morning it has stopped. Should i be worried?

Valerie L.

Valerie L.asked

My Breville espresso machine has been flawless for almost six years now. I had to replace a parts (seals, etc) about two years ago, but otherwise it has been the best system ever! Recently it stopped working properly, no coffee was being forced through the group head.... I clean my machine faithfully as indicated, but cleaned it again just to be sure it wasn't calcium build up. It still didn't work. I then noticed that the pressure gauge was remaining at 0. I have tried to trouble shoot this with the book, but no luck. Fortunately I found this discussion and am happy I did. I think the coffee is much less robust that when the pressure is forcing the water through the group head....... my coffee (when I could get anything to come out of it) was not at all like decent coffee. I agree that this machine is awesome and makes some of the best coffee I have ever had, and again, I have had my system for almost 6 years! I guess I should be thankful as it looks as if many began having issues much sooner than I. I am hoping I can find a repair place but the USA facility is not too far from where I live, so I might just have to take a drive down there.
I would have bought another Breville system in a heartbeat if mine needed to be replaced, however after reading some reviews where your machines' pressure stopped early on, I am not so sure now. VS Los Angeles, CA

Bob M

Bob Masked

Is the stainless model the same as the black? Why is the black one still being sold if it is discontinued?

Meagan L.

Meagan L.asked

I bought my Breville machine about a month ago... I have one at my work office as well, the machine at home worked amazing for a couple weeks until one morning I tried making some coffee (I changed nothing) and the pressure needle barely went up! So I adjusted the settings and pulled another, still nothing... I pulled 5 more shots and kept massing with the settings and nothing! I went through almost a whole bag of beans! So I'm assuming something is wrong if I'm adjusting settings and no change. I came to work a week later and the machine in the office is doing the same exact thing!! I have coffee shop experience so I feel I know what I'm doing... any help? Where I bought it offered to replace it but I'm afraid its going to do the same thing...

David SH

David SHasked

No response from the machine today, has been playing up and shorting regularly, in particular when using the steamer. It made some curious noises (pump-like) but no indication of any other failure. I have to guess motherboard, but that is only qualified.

Kathleen R

Kathleen Rasked

Where to buy filter?

Gleno
Gleno

No Breville doesn't have them listed. They are nowhere to be found except at bigwarehousespares and on EBay, but the cost of post to anywhere is astronomical. Breville should be admonished for the lack of regular supply of this product.

Marce

Marceasked

Hi there. I just got a Breville infuser BES840XL, and I cannot seem to get the portafilter to lock when there is coffee in it with a filter, but it locks just fine without the filter basket. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Billy L

Billy Lasked

Hi there my 840xl machine when itry to use ..is nothing water coming out. Need help.....

nicola
nicola

I have not had this problem. To keep my machine as clean as possible I only use filtered tap water and once coffee has finished I take off grounds holder and run clean water for a few seconds. Sorry can't be of more help. Good luck.

Tom

Tomasked

I have a new Breville BES840XL and the top of the water tank won’t open. No instructions in book or quick guide. I tried to call Breville and automated service put me on hold. I finally gave up. I’ve pulled, tugged, pushed the side buttons, but nottting works. I can see the hinges inside too Any help?.

Jean Louis B
Jean Louis B

The top of the water tank is in two parts. Lift and rotate the narrow part. It will become a handle. The rest of the cover will rotate on the hinges.

Shoug.

Shoug.asked

Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

Does this machine work on both 50\60 Hertz?

CalRory

CalRoryasked

Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

Went to turn on Infuser today, noticed the water container was empty, when I turned on the machine, heard three beeps and shot buttons would not work. Machine now doesn't turn on at all. Is it dead? Are there any steps to revive it?

Samson 84

Samson 84asked

I turned on my Breville Infuser model BES840XL this morning an it immediately trips the ground fault plug! It not the gif as I plugged another item in and it works fine but when I plug the Breville in it trips it! Any ideas?

Palmplex
Palmplex

I have the same problem. I've posted the question today on here to see what the cause might be. I'm hoping it's just the solenoid that is failing as i'm also getting a buzzing noise when I try and make coffee.

Jen

Jenasked

Infuser BES840CRN (Cranberry)

Hi, i've had our infuser for about 3years now and love it. We clean it fairly regularly (when prompted) but do live in a hard water area. In the last week the steam wand has stopped producing steam. When i turn the dial to steam milk , the steam actually comes out of the espresso and nothing comes out of the steam wand. I suspect there is a blockage somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks, i need coffee!!!

Renee

Reneeasked

Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

I have had my Breville Infuser for about a month. All is well, but it has started to hold onto the filter basket when I try to remove it afterwards to clean. I have also had the filter come out and the puck stay in the machine. I am obviously doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Luke Longworth

Luke Longworthasked

Infuser BES840BKS (Black Sesame)

The pump on my machine does not stop. I received the machine secondhand as a gift about 4 months ago and today when the machine was switched on at the wall, the motor/pump sound started immediately without me hitting the on button and water flowed through the machine and was immediately deposited hot into the drip tray. The machine doesn't seem to care about whether it is on or off, only if power is flowing through it. Any ideas?

themonkey

The main control board is faulty and cannot be economically replaced

rolly

rollyasked

BES840XL
SS INFUSER

My machine is 5 years old.
I clean regularly, with Vinegar and warm water inside, as well as commercial grade descaler, as per Brevilles instruction.

The machine turns on normally, BUT from time to time it makes a sound like it is "shorting out", like some form of grinding electrical noise. does that make sense?
as well the pressure has dropped right off and the sound of the pump, pumping drops right off..

I wa sgoing to order a new pump , BUT some folks have suggested the Solenoid has failed.

Thoughts?
OTher than A Breville Official giving none helpful advice.

Thanx, Peace

themonkey

the pump should be ok. i think its a buzzing sound from the solenoid, you must replace it

Doorman

Doormanasked

Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

I've had now 3 breville infusers. I like them and they work generally well. But after just 4 months the timer for the double shot stops after about 3 to 4 seconds. I've had to use the single shot twice. Is this a programming problem I can fix or something else?

Erik T
Erik T

You need a new double wall basket. The coffee oil block the basket...

lib

libasked

Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

I have a brand new machine and my pressure gauge has never moved. I have no crema. I am using freshly ground beans and varying the tamping. It does not move on automatic or manual. Any ideas?

I would contact Breville asap if I was you, they are good with their warranty if you read the feedback herein. If the warranty has elapsed, you still have some 'statutory rights' under Australian Consumer Laws, lib.

Dianacarla

You might need to use more grounds, if it isn't full enough it won't build up pressure. I use the finest grind option as well in my breville grinder, if grinds are too course the water will just flow through. I know you said you tried varying degrees of tamping but you do need to press quite hard. If you still can't get a crema use the double wall basket for the grinds, it will slow down the water and work, but it makes the basket a bit sloppier to clean out. With all this being said, my machine doesn't get great pressure. I was a barrista for 4 years and wish there was some other more commercial feeling machine available for home!

Tomascco

Tomasccoasked

I've have my BES840 for so long it's paid for itself three times now. I give an awkward smile to my old coffee shop when I pass. I thought it was done for when the gauge wouldn't move until I bought a new grinder. It was good to have her back. Now the programmable buttons laugh at me when I press them and say "watch how long I can go!" Yeah, I used to mash the button and go and get milk for the pitcher. But when I return it's overflowing my shot glasses.

So the timer or meter or whatever that's controlling the programmable buttons ain't controlling any more. I've reset the buttons a few times according to the manual. I've reprogrammed them more than I can remember. I clean the machine religiously and descale once a month. I've descaled twice since this began, but it looks like nothing will help.

Has anyone else have this issue? Like I said, the machine is about three years old and used quite often, at least twice daily.

Dianacarla

Mine does this too, I just manually turn it off after about 17-20 a Seconds.

themonkey

The flow meter inside the back or the machine is probably faulty, its inline with the water pump and has 3 wires sending signals back to the control board. its easy to replace

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives