3Breville Infuser BES840

Breville Infuser BES840 Questions & Answers

Dafydd
Dafydd · Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

My Breville BES840 suddenly turned itself on, and now responds only to the wall socket. It makes the usual starting up clatter but doesn't stop until switched off at the wall.

Mark

Hi Dafydd, Fortunately I have not experienced the problem so can only guess.
It is obviously an electronic malfunction but I would try the following.
Unplug from main and leave for considerable time say 1 hour and try again.
Try processing some functions such as a descale or clean or both.
Do a fresh resetting of the dispensing levels.
Leave unplugged overnight, if all this fails I would contact manufacturer, hope it works for you.
Have a Happy New Year.

GlennisMC · Infuser BES840

Hi, I am having issues with a considerable amount of very hot water entering the driptray during extraction. Any ideas please as to what I am doing wrong with this.

Mark

Hi, I would check with the manufacturer, have had an odd time when I have a bit of water when taking the drip tray to empty but but not too concerned. Cheers

darfvader

They do fill the drip tray very quickly. I empty mine around every ten coffees.

GlennisMC · Infuser BES840

Hi, do you actually need to use a filter in the water tray? I am using filtered water anyway.

Mark

Hi, I also use filtered water but still use a filter which have not had to change as it remains pretty clean, Cheers

darfvader

I have never used a filter.

GlennisMC

Thank you. Also, I get a large amount of boiling water in the driveway every time I make a coffee, do you have any idea as to why this is happening please?

Tarisha S. · Infuser BES840

Hi everyone
I have had my breville infuser for 3 months. I’m new to coffee and the machine but I was making coffee no problem for months and all of a sudden the coffee always comes out sour even though the arrow is in the expresso zone. The filter is new, I haven’t changed coffee beans, I’m doing nothing different to what I was doing in the months before hand. Can anyone help?

Hi Tarisha,
Assuming that your coffee has not aged or changed in any way, the main problem I have found with coffee not tasting as it should is that the system needs cleaning. This is the biggest problem I have found in the past especially with bigger fully automatic systems specially, too hard to clean properly. I make sure to rinse the portafilter after each use with short run whilst it is still hot, this has a better chance of removing coffee oils before the next use, hope this helps.

Hi Mark,
I did the clean, even though the clean button wasn’t on, and it’s still sour

RidgyDidge
RidgyDidge · Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

Hi, my machine is about 6mths old and all of a sudden the portafilter has started turning during a shot. I have to hold it so it doesn’t come out. Any ideas? Thanks

Mark

Hi Ridgy, have not experienced the problem with my unit but did have the problem with a previous unit after about 5 years, I would suggest maybe the grinds have built up from the porta filter around the connecting unit and damaging the seal hence not engaging properly, just a suggestion. Cheers

Thanks Mark

darfvader

I agree with Mark. You may have been over tightened the porta filter and damaged the seal. They are easily replaceable and available on Amazon in a 2 pack…….. 2Pack Brew Group Head Seal... https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BG4TV6WJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

RidgyDidge

My issue is if it is something major and I have touched the machine I may lose my warranty.

But it will be sent away for a month plus apparently to look at it.

Rod L.
Rod L. · Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

My Infuser is less than a year old, but recently the group head seal popped. I bought another seal, but within a week it has popped again. Exactly same place, not broken just popped out and water/coffee sprays out. Haven’t changed coffee, grind or amount of coffee used. Any suggestions before I take it to service centre?

Dave
Dave · Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

My coffee machine won't push water through a loaded portafilter. The water flows if there's no coffee in the portafilter but won't flow if there's coffee loaded.

It's not a question of grind - I've been adjusting my grind for 20 years, so I understand how that works.

It sounds as if the water is flowing into the tray underneath rather than pushing through the coffee.

There's no actual support on Breville's website, (only an attempt to sell spare parts). Does any know of this problem or how to fix it?

Mark

Hi Dave, not sure what the answer is to your problem I have not experienced this. Cheers

JennyD
JennyD · Infuser BES840

I've just bought one of these (two weeks ago) to replace a worn out Sunbeam Mini Barista. All the reviews are good, but I just cannot seem to get a good coffee out of it. Fresh quality beans every time. I've tried raising and lowering the temp. The pressure seems okay. Tamping okay. The grind (separate Breville grinder) is the same as I used for the Sunbeam. But smooth rich coffees are out of reach. Any ideas?

Geoff P
Geoff P

I like a fairly strong cup so I use a double shot and using the single walled filter. I hope this helps

Ross Mayot
Ross Mayot · Infuser BES840

I just bought the Breville Infuser and set it up according to the instructions. All the buttons light up appropriately but when I try to pull a cup the pressure gauge never rises above the pre infusion indication line and no water or steam comes out of the head or the steam wand. Any suggestions?

Iznotabella · Infuser BES840

I’m sure this is probably really simple but literally how do you open the water tank lid. I have been struggling for about half an hour. I can’t find anything online and am getting completely desperate haha. Help!

Neil B.

Pull up the handle that goes around the top of the tank, from the back. Simple!

Yolanta
Yolanta

Having the same problem & still can’t open the water tank

Iznotabella

For me it ended up being that the tank had to be clicked into the machine to open. I was trying to open it over the sink to hold under the tap, when it has to be in place in the machine to open and then filled with a jug if that makes sense

Regina D.
Regina D.

What handle? I do not see a handle?

Erika
Erika

Aaahhh I don’t have a handle either for Breville Duo-Temp Pro BES810BSS
Can someone please give me info on how to open the lid of this machine thanks

Wayne
Wayne

Can someone please let me know how they opened the water tank lid on the Breville Infuser. Just bought one and I'm mystified about how to open it! Seems like it's locked somehow, but not instructions on how to unlock

Iznotabella

I figured this out in the end! It turns out that the lid could not open unless it was locked into place on the machine. I was attempting to open it over the sink while it was detached from the machine itself. You’re meant to open it while it’s attached to the back of the machine and just fill it up using a jug

Allan V · Infuser BES840

No pressure using single wall baskets on New Breville BES840 The Infuser coffee machine. I have tried down to number 1 the finest number on my coffee grinder. Plenty of pressure using dual wall baskets on grinder number 10. What am i doing wrong. Regards Allan

Mekster

Hi Allan, to get pressure in the single wall baskets you need to overfill it slightly and pack in the grinds hard. If you over pack it you won't get any flow through it so just try it a few times till you find what works for you and the coffee/grind that you use. I find I can get good quality espresso using this method. Let me know how you go. Cheers Murray.

Allan V

Hi Murray, I have tried your suggestion with both the single wall and double wall baskets in my Breville infuser coffee machine. Plenty of pressure with the double wall basket and lots of crema, but still no pressure with the single wall and no crema. My grinder has 25 settings, and i used number 6 on both baskets which is quite fine. I have been buying my coffee beans from my local supermarket when i buy my groceries. I am going to try the Coffee Shop to buy some beans to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your suggestions. Regards Allan

Mekster

Hi Allan, try a bit finer and really pack it in hard. Good luck mate. Cheers Murray

Allan V

Hi Murray, I have solved the problem. I have purchased a new coffee grinder, a Breville Smart Grinder pro. I grind on numbrr 12 for the beans i use and i get plenty of pressure now using single wall baskets. Thanks for you help. Regards Allan

Neil B.

My machine used to work fine with single baskets but then the pressure dropped too low, so now only good for double wall. That was after a couple of years, but it's still in use a couple more years later, so not unhappy.

Larry
Larry · Infuser BES840BSS (Stainless Steel)

Found a small plastic part on the counter between coffee runs this morning. During the second run, the machine would not come up to pressure after the initial priming. The part is made of hard black plastic, about 11/16" long and 3/8" at its widest part (which is shaped like an o-ring with a cross supporting it). The overall part is similar to a pushpin without the sharp metal pin. The top of the part (opposite the "o-ring") appears to be designed to snap into something since it has a bulbous shape with a narrow neck.

Any thoughts as to what this plastic part is for or where it should go? Thanks very much!

Breville will know

valentine682
valentine682 · Infuser BES840

Programming single/double espresso. This is all of a sudden not working. I went to make a cuppa and cup overflowed, tried reprogramming several times, but will not cut off, have had the machine a few years, always clean descale when prompted.

See similar issue below

valentine682
valentine682 · Infuser BES840

Programming single/double espresso is not working, have tried several times, but it keeps running to a full cup.

Val · Infuser BES840

I have had my machine about 4 years and regularly cleaned. All of a sudden, at the end of a pour, boiling water spurts out of the side of group head, seemingly under pressure. Seal was only replaced two months ago. Any suggestions as to what could cause this? Everything appears clean

Mav

Only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the seal wasn't installed correctly (or wasn't a genuine/correct part).

Val

Thanks for suggestion...it has worked properly twice a day for more than 2 months, and it was a genuine part, so I’m scratching my head!

Mark R.
Mark R. · Infuser BES840BKS (Black Sesame)

Hi my new bes840 goes into stanby mode in under 15minutes and then switches off completely in another 15 minutes. This is my 2nd 840 the last one never did this so quickly. It can't be right I switch it on to warm it up half hour later it is off . Can I adjust this ? I have done a factory reset , still this same ,the machine is 3 days old !

Joey H.
Joey H. · Infuser BES840

Hi there,
My breville infusion street turning it on and the power button finished flashing (heating up) then the program button flashes and machine beeps three times and then all lights are solid. At this point none of the buttons are responsive. Only the power button can turn power on and off.

Please help.
Much appreciated

Dave
Dave · Infuser BES840

I just got this machine and when I run it, the water tank lid rattles really loudly. If I lay my hand on the lid while the machine is running, the noise stops. I'm wondering if my machine somehow shipped without rubber washers or something? Does anyone have the same problem?

Peter
Peter

My old one did a bit but my new one doesn't. I think it's probably a batch issue. Contact Breville and see if thy vcan help. I've found the support people pretty good so far.

Red
Red · Infuser BES840

Today the pressure gauge on my Infuser stopped working. I have done the troubleshooting tests on the Breville YouTube video, but nothing helps. Any ideas?

lpal · Infuser BES840

I just purchased this machine and am having trouble attaching the group handle into the machine when it's filled with coffee. I can attach it no problem with no coffee so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Mav

I think you either have too much ground coffee in the basket, or you haven't tamped it down enough. Aim to have just enough coffee in the basket so that with mild-medium force you can tamp it down sufficiently so that the silver part of the tamper is inside the basket and the black part is above the top of the basket.

lpal

Thanks for that, I was indeed a little heavy handed with the amount of coffee I was using

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Select a listing for your question
Breville Infuser BES840