3Breville Infuser BES840

71%10%19%

Angela
AngelaBrisbane

Disappointed

We thought we'd upgrade this time around, having owned two cheaper Breville models in the past. I'm disappointed with the coffee my new machine is producing, having experimented with different grinds and beans..even buying the same coffee I used in my last machine. It shouldn't be this hard! My friends said I made the best coffee. Now I'm embarrassed to serve them a cup! I rang Breville to see if I could return it and get a cheaper model again, but was told "no" as it's not faulty.

I won't be wasting my money again.

Unhappy,

Angela.

george
george12 posts
  BES840CRN
Tony C
Tony C

Good, reliable machine

I have had the BES840 for 14 months. Used every day for 4 lattes and the odd espresso. No leaks, no returning to Myers -it just works.

Took a bag of coffee to dial in the Sunbeam grinder - only minor grinder changes since when changing coffee beans.

bat
batGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC110 posts
Angela
AngelaSouth East Queensland, QLD14 posts

Love this Machine

Had this machine for almost a year making at least two coffees a day and so far so good. Makes great coffee and steams milk to a silky smooth texture (took a while for me to perfect that) and easy to clean. Bought from Myer on special and would recommend.

Unhappy
Unhappysydney

Cockroaches inside - yuk

Worked brilliantly until suddenly started overheating and producing steam instead of hot water (blew the handle straight off!). Breville repair shop said that cockroaches have got inside (yuk!!) and ruined the electrics. They are now refusing to fix in warranty as "not a machine issue" . Apart from the thought of cockroaches making me squirm, if Breville design a machine that the little rodents can easily get inside that would seem to be a design fault (i.e. you would have thought it was sealed) - and even if I do get it repaired what is to stop it happening again!?!

pooky
pookyBrisbane13 posts
  Infuser

wow what a great machine

great machine used with coffee beans.easy to clean and very good quality.simple and easy to use.worth the $ .bought from Harvey norman whos. discount was excellent.$649.00 @ myer versus $ 460.00@harvey norman.

SteveK
SteveKT18 posts

Budget espresso goodness

I've been lucky with our unit, no troubles at all. We bought ours a year ago to replace an old Sunbeam. I really like the espresso, very rarely over extracted, the temperature control and infuser makes for a unique combination, much more friendly to inconsistent grinds than a thermoblock unit. Great for low volume espresso. Downsides, the group head and basket feels a bit cheap and light, and the unit uses a lot more water, and ends up in the bottom collector tray. Overall, happy with the unit for the price we paid.

Wayne Davis
Wayne DavisCheltenham3 posts

Disheartened

Owned an 820 for around 6 years, enjoyed every time that I had a coffee from it, reliable and never skipped a beat. Got me the 840 and have had nothing but disappointment for a whole month now, not one good experience. can not believe for the money it cost me that it is made by the same company.

Mooner
Mooner40 posts

I really can't fault it

I've had my machine for just over a year and must say I've been really pleased. I'm bit of a coffee geek and don't mess around with my coffees. The shots I'm pulling are great, very rarely get a dud. Obviously a lot is to do with the making skills, fresh beans etc. The machine has good pressure and the frother works well. For the $500-$800 price range its a good deal. I don't always clean it on it's scheduled time frames or replace the filters that often.
Price, quality of components
Seems a bit precious with regards to filter replacement times and cleaning.
Sally
PeterF2 posts
jonesy
jonesy
  BES840BSS

Faulty pressure gauge - do not buy this machine

I bought the breville BES840 before i read this stream of reviews. In hindsight, I would nto have bothered. The first one I bought, the pressure gauge did not budge, and the coffee was poor with zero crema. I replaced this with a new one, and exactly the same problem. There are so many reports of this machine not providing appropriate pressure that I would steer well clear of this machine. I will not be buying breville again.

Sooz55
Sooz55Wide Bay-Burnett, QLD5 posts
erniem
erniemMilawa2 posts

Great machine

After many years of wanting an espresso machine i finally got my machine. I really wanted an Rancilio Silvia but couldn't afford one. So after much research settled for this Breville. I was a little apprehensive, as i really wanted an Italian machine. I thought that you couldn't get good coffee from a machine made by a general appliance company. But the machine works brilliantly. Really good coffee all the time. You do need to know what your doing and you must lash out and get good burr grinder. Time for another coffee!
Reliably good coffee, nice looking machine
Frothing milk takes time.
Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Find out how Breville Infuser BES840 compares to other Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

PBee
PBeeAdelaide15 posts
Kyz
Kyz

Love it but

Love the machine, it makes a great coffee but it has started leaking. The local breville service providers won't touch it so my husband pulled it apart, it needs a simple seal which breville refuse to sell me!!! Disappointed considering it's 18 months old and cost over $500. The best breville could do was offer me a new one at a discounted price, I can't see the point when it's easy to fix! We bought a seal off eBay and it no longer leaks!
Makes great coffee
No-one wants to replace the seal!
Penny
Penny

Disappointed

I had to replace my Baby Gaggia as it stopped working and wasn't worth getting it repaired. The first one I received I had to return as the pressure gauge didn't work. The Breville rep I spoke to said this wasn't unusual! I am very disappointed with the machine as it is noisy and vibrates a lot. I am having trouble getting the gauge to work properly.....I am hoping I will work this out eventually. The first machine I could steam the milk with no problem but not the one I have now. The storage tray is virtually useless as it also collects water. I am sorry I didn't just go for a cheaper all manual machine.

Evelyn15 posts

Breville BES840

I have not had much lucky with mine, after 6 cups of espresso the pressure gauge needle is stuck and the quality of the espresso is just ok! My previous machine was a Sunbeam cafe series $169 cheapie it made a nicer espresso everytime. Also the new Breville Infuser BES840 is in to be repaired…. disappointed I feel I made a mistake

I was told it would be more than 2 weeks before they can look at it for repair work. I am hoping it is worth the wait.
It looked nice and I read a lot of reviews
Inconsistant brews

DebzSale, Victoria
barb johnson
barb johnsonPerth, WA7 posts
  Infuser

Wow nothing would beat breville in my eyes

Breville have designed many things this machine has had a lot of thought into the process of grinding the beans to the speed it heats up at, looks modern too.high pressure, Breville can make a barista out of me yet.This machine would make a novice like me make great coffee
Love the colour range the sleek style the easy to care for parts
Semi-Automatic and Manual Coffee Machines

Coffee_Addict
Coffee_AddictSydney
Matt-E-K
Matt-E-KParramatta
Kevin7797
Kevin7797Sydney, NSW4 posts
  Infuser

Cannot make a decent cup of coffee :-(

I bought this product 4 months ago. Try as I might with different grind sizes I cannot get the water pressure indicator to move more than an inch. Result is a miserable stream of weak coffee with zero crema. Very unimpressed indeed. I'm going to bring the whole unit back to the retailer and see if they can get it to work.
Looks good.
Unable to make a half decent coffee
smaze

Why have you suffered though owning it for 4 months and not taken it back already? That doesn't make sense.

MelanieB
MelanieBMelbourne7 posts

Average Coffee Machine

I bought this coffee machine 6 months ago to use at home. It has worked ok but it broke down after a month of use, which i claimed on my warranty and got the machine fixed up. Other than this it works well and I generally make a cup of coffee every day.
Good Price Machine
Unreliable and can break down