Breville BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Breville BES920 (Dual Boiler) Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

MPN: BES920BSS

55 questions from our users

Lou

Louasked

This is our 3rd Dual Boiler - the two others both replaced under ext. warranty. 1 under "lemon" clause (too many repairs) - 2nd because the ext. warranty we took out replaces the item if the repair takes too long. Anyway - our 3rd machine is not behaving in the same way as the previous two. It gets up to the optimal pressure initially - but after that, for the rest of the pour the pressure continues to drop - sometimes down to 3 or 4. Obviously we are are doing everything the same as we always have (same beans [fresh], same tamping amount etc.) We've played with the grind fineness and amount (as we have done MANY times before), so just wondering if we should be taking our (month old) machine back. I have a nasty feeling they are going to blame user error which is why I'm stressing the point that we've had nearly 6 years experience with the same (model) machine. Any thoughts? Anyone with the same issue?

Donamac53

Donamac53asked

I have a breville BES920. Two days ago I completed the descaling process. The manual had instructions, however it said to follow instructions of the descaling product, which was included in the purchase of the machine. The descaling was successful however it is still saying descaling needs to be completed. Please advise how to remove notice?

Milly02
Milly02

OMG!. I I have not yet been asked to descale and until I read your question I didn't know I would have to. I will have to buy some descaling solution. I can't find in my Breville book how much solution to use when the time comes. As for your question it just says to Press the Power button to exit the descale mode but you would have already read this. I hope it's am easy task when I get to do it. So sorry!

Ian
Ian

I had exactly the same problem with my BES 920. Ran through the whole descale process (firmware v3) and still got that pesky descale message! Read all the posts and resetting the machine was the common theme. Tried resetting - didn’t work. After my third reset attempt I noticed that machine still had the correct time of day...which I thought was a bit strange after a full factory reset. Turned off the machine at the wall for 30 seconds and still got the message and the clock time was still correct. I figured that the machine must have a short term memory (capacitor?) so this is what I did:

1. Switch off machine at the wall
2. Wait ten minutes
3. Switch on machine at the wall
4. Do a full reset (instructions easy to find online)
5. Descale message gone! (Don’t forget to reset your clock, auto start etc)

Albert
Albert

Yep. Both Breville and Bravo repairs didn't know and wanted to charge me to fix this. So well done Ian.

Anneka E

Anneka Easked

I have the BEP920 in black and have little flting ants in my water holder at the back and have cockroaches nesting somewhere in the top, similar to others with the ants. Also the black paint on the machine has been bubbling at the top around the edges of the flap which you press to put the water into, I have rung the service centre and the machine is less than one year old, so well within warranty time but my question is, is the paint bubbling a design fault because if so it would seem rather futile having a new piece put on (which is what the service man said they could do) if the second piece is likely to bubble. Has anyone else had their plaint bubble? Thanks

Greenhillsasked

Hi there - Another issue after descaling my breville bes920. It was working perfectly before machine indicated a descale was due after 2-3 years. I followed brevilles guidelines exactly and after descale the steamer will not function/heat - 3 dreaded beeps! I Contacted breville and they instructed me that there was probably an air lock and to drain the steamer tank, leave valve open for 3 hours then close. I did this twice and the second time left it overnight to drain but still the same problem. I contacted breville again and they indicated as it is out of warranty there is nothing much they can do........ From what I am reading this seems to be a very common problem and it appears that there may be a batch software fault or similar! any help appreciated?

Gazevs

If the problem was reported prior to warranty expiry and not resolved the warranty remains valid for the problem. You might need to unblock the steam wand holes.

Greenhills

Steam wand definitely not blocked. I actually spoke to the Breville Service agent here in Adelaide to see if it was worth repairing and I was directly informed that there is a known software issue with these and that the thermofuse blows after descale. They advised me that if the thermofuse was replaced and software updated then this would stop it from happening again. I have now contacted Breville service centre and advised them of this and am waiting to hear back with the outcome.......

Hi,
Because the problem started after you descaled the machine, it is related to the steam boiler. The corresponding screw to draining this boiler is the one on the right.
To make sure that the boiler is filling up with water, follow the descale procedure by pressing and holding the single shot button before pressing the power button. navigate to the dESC setting and press the menu button. You should hear a click sound and the display screen is blank.
Make sure the tray has been emptied and remove the silicone tab from the boiler screw recess at the bottom right. Open the boiler drain by turning the right screw anti clockwise. Make sure there is a damp cloth covering the right side of the tray cover, because there may be steam released from the boiler drain.

This next part is different from the user manual.
Empty all the water from the water container and remove the filter from the container. Fill the container half with white vinegar (just a woolies brand is fine). Add a Hillmark Expresso Kleen sachet coffee machine cleaner from Bunnings. About $7 for a pack of 3 sachets. Dissolve the sachet in warm water and add to the container, continue to fill up the container with water until full. Turn on the machine. Once the machine reaches 93 degrees, open the steam wand. Don't worry if it bleeps. The hot water with the cleaning solution will find its way into the wand and other parts of the boiler. Leave the wand open and wait for about 10 minutes. If nothing happens, close the steam wand and wiat another 5 minutes. Open the wand again and leave it open for about 10 minutes, or until steam is coming out of the wand. Repeat running steam through the wand and other parts of the machine, including the group head and hot water spout.
If this does not produce any result, your steam boiler will have to be replaced. (Still a lot cheaper than a new machine)

justjuice

justjuiceasked

For the last couple of months I've been unable to get good results from the steam wand. The milk heats up too quickly and boils before I have a chance to build any volume (the jug becomes too hot to handle after about 5 seconds). The machine also seems to stay very hot, even after unplugged. When it is on the warming area at the top is too hot to touch. Any ideas what might be wrong, or am I just imagining things? Thanks.

Gazevs

The jug feels hot because the end of the steam wand is too close to the jug bottom and your hand. If its heating the milk too quick turn the steam power down. Tje machine will stay hot for some time, it cools slowly.

Heartwashed

There are 2 boilers in this machine. One is for the hot water, which has been factory set to 93 deg and can be changed in the settings. The 2nd boiler is for the steam wand and is fixed at 130 deg. It sounds like the steam wand is getting too hot, which is strange. Maybe it is due for a good descaling. (See your manual)
The plateau on top of the machine is designed to get heated. This is so you can heat the cups you use for your coffee. As the boilers heat up, this area can become quite hot to the touch.
I use a milk thermometer for the milk, so the temp is always around 65 degrees.
When heating the milk, make sure the spout sits just below the surface of the milk, near the edge of the jug. This will generate a maximum amount of micro bubbles - great for your flat white. Keep ithe wand in the one place, try not to move it around.
Hope this is helpful.

Edo013asked

My BES920 has been descaled. Problem is my Steam is not pumping, the steam boiler gets the water but there is obviously no heat and as such (I assume) there is no steam (there are 3 beeps though). Does anyone know how to fix this or is it that the heather in steam boiler stopped working. Also, I used to have only POWER button illuminated and now All 4 of them (Power, Manual, 1 Cup and 2 Cups). I am sure after the descale something hasn't been completed and lights are still on. The following day I have repeated the process as per the instructions but still no luck.
Thanks, Ed

Tangent
Tangent

If the steam boiler worked immediately before the descale process but not now then you are probably correct and the software still thinks its in a descale process. When I descaled it took me a few goes to complete the process. Have another go at trying to complete the descale. turn off and disconnect from the power to reset the machine. If none of this works then you can call Breville to try and resolve it or you'll have to take it to a service centre.

Thanks Tangent,
I have tried everything including full descale 5 times but it still thinks its in the descale mode. Did power reset, than reset of the machine itself (water hardness) and still nothing. Spoken with Breville and they say there is air block somewhere and machine needs to be unblocked. Tied all the suggestions but still no joy. It seems it will need to go for de-blockage at breville service.
Thanks Ed

Gastroback

Gastrobackasked

Hello,
I have a problem with my dual boiler. There is leaking steam from the drip tray and the machine does not heat up to the full temperature. It stops at about 80 C. Could it be that the small boiler (100W?) below the main boiler is broken? Steam on the right works fine.The Steam goes into the drip tray on the left (!) I really need some helo to get it fixed. Maybe another one has the same problem with it.

coffee love
coffee love

Hi there,did you manage to get your problem fixed with your bes920 db machine.
Mine is doing the same, heats up to 80 degrees fine then takes about 20-30 minutes to get to operating temperature
the pid controls don't seem to work

Tahaasked

I have Dual boiler 920 for about two years now. It start leaking water from the opposite side of the steam. This only happening while the machine is heating up. The water stops after it reaches the desired temperature. Also the first shot or despised water from the group head take about 12 second till water come out. Any ideas?

brentdanley
brentdanley

I've had this same problem for a few weeks now. Pulled out the tank. Nothing obvious. Let the machine cool down, removed the drip tray, and turned it on to heat up. Leaking on the left side. Must be a worn gasket in the boiler? I put in a request ticket. I hope I don't have to send it in for repairs, but I doubt any of the faulty parts are home serviceable. Good luck.

Colin

Colinasked

Hello, I can't find the serial number , not the batch number. Any help?

ohwellbyes

look on the machine.. haha friend

Taha

You can find it behind the rolling wheel under the machine.

Michael H
Michael H

I found my serial number by removing the water tank at the back. It's on a sticker on the inside wall.

Reşit N

Reşit Nasked

After descale process no more steam... Really it’s broken now because of the routine of the machine?

Camper
Camper

Sorry I am fraid it needs repair. Sounds like a typical problem. That’s a real shame. The same brake down happened me. After a couple of months use. Still in warrenty no cost to fix, it took about 4 weeks.

ohwellbyes

lol yes it's broken. Just buy another and you will be ok :D

Jason

Jasonasked

Have just bought the dual boiler and so far very frustrated. Have tried different settings on the grinder started at 12 the recommended grind and have gone up to 25 as am only getting around 10-15ml from extraction. Very new to making coffee but unsure if doing something wrong or machine faulty. Gone to a manual extraction or 2 cups just to get enough for a coffee. Any suggestions as very disappointed?

CHANCHO
CHANCHO

Hi Jason,
I would say you have the grind settings wrong. you should be going finer i.e lower than 11 rather than going up to 25. what your doing is going coarser and in that case it will pour out like a tap. the grind also depends on the freshness of the coffee beans. with older beans you generally need to grind finer to get a decent extraction. if you have very fresh beans then 12-14 would generally work well. I highly doubt its an issue with the machine. easiest way to tell is do a blind shot using the blank rubber they supply and if the pressure gets up to 9-10bar then machine works as it should. if you dont thenit could point to a machine issue. best of luck

Ianjam
Ianjam

Hi Jason
I believe that Chancho have answered your questions.
The variation of quality of beans and its freshness will affect your shots. How much pressure you tempt also affects your flow and quantity of coffee extracted. If you lower you grind to 11 or 10, and still only get 15 to 20 mls, you may be over tempering or may have too much grind in the basket.
Try buying from one of your local cafe or deli and check the roasted date( not the use by date). I try to buy mine within 4 weeks of roasting, i get another 2 to 3 weeks out of it.

Enjoy the journey.
Cheers

bbk

Hi Jason. As the extraction is the same no matter what your grind I would suggest:
1. Checking your dose. There may be too much coffee soaking up/blocking the water. My advice would be don't use the single dose basket, they don't allow for proper water flow and extraction. The double basket is 18g, so if in doubt use some kitchen scales. Aim for somewhere between 18-19g. If you don't want 2 shots you could always save the spares in a sealed container in the fridge for iced coffee.
2. The buttons are programmable. You can set them for whatever water amount you like. Check the manual.

csutak40asked

I just upgraded from a BE900 and have a simple question. I can't believe all the questions one has to answer on the Breville site, before being able to ask a question, so I thought I'd try here.
On my BE900, one could count how many shots the machine has done: "with the machine turned off, press and hold all 4 buttons, then press the POWER button"
This doesn't seem to work on the BE920, so could you please tell me how to do it?

ohwellbyes

push the button and it will show the shots. my good friend

csutak40

Sorry, which button? As I said, the instructions provided for BE900 (as above) doesn't work

Kyle L

Kyle Lasked

It seems we may be in the same situation. We've just set up our brand new 920 and there is no pressure on the gauge and no steam with dreaded 3 beeps. Has anybody had luck with this? All I see is breville rep saying call help line - great.

BrevilleBreville

Generally, this is a result of turning the machine on with the steam wand lever in an open or slightly open position, which can be simply a result of having unpacked the new machine out of the box. Please ensure the steam wand lever is fully closed, that you are not using demineralized water (distilled, reverse osmosis) and try again. If you have a more immediate need to contact one of our dedicated support reps, give us a call Monday through Friday 8.30AM to 5:00PM (AEST) at 1300-139-798.

Please contact customer service or buy a new BES920. Thank you

Stephen ONeillasked

Hello, Our BES920 has been quite reliable, it has has the solenoid seal replaced but that was all until today. Unfortunately it now does not stop heating when it gets to the specified temperature of 93degC; it just keeps getting hotter and hotter. It this an economically repairable fault?

bbk

Overheating is most often caused by scale on the boiler probe. In a commercial environment I'd normally have an on call tech come out and give it a clean. Does the BES920 have a descale function? If so, give it a try. If not, get in contact with Breville and explain the issue.

Stephen ONeill

Turned out to be the "Triac" board that controls the temperature. Got this fixed and the seals started leaking again.

Glenford

Glenfordasked

Our machine is only 1 month old. Occasionally when on standby mode the pump suddenly starts up and runs for 30 seconds or so. It repeats this a few times and then the pump noise stops and all is quiet again. This happened on Day 1 when we first used the machine and 1 month down the track is happened again. Why does it do this, is there a problem.

Alan Clay
Alan Clay

Possibilities.
1/ Have you programmed in your own settings, including setting the clock? If so, try this inconvenient but simple test. With the machine off, turn the off the wall switch, unplug, plug in turn on at wall, and turn machine back on. If it has forgotten your user settings(including the time, you have a faulty PCB (programmable Control Board) which will need replacing!
2/ Is there water in the drip tray after the machine has stood overnight, possibly a minor leak. which partially drains the boiler tank and allows a small amount of air to enter the boiler, as the tank heats the air is compressed confusing the PCB, causing it to believe the need for pressure to displace the lack of pressure is the result of normal operation, so the pump kicks in. On simple check, when the machine is at operating temperature , all lights are on, and the LCD reads 93 Celsius, very gently open the hot water outlet. If you notice a spurt of air, you have a leak in the system. The very first this occurred, may simply have been the result of the whole system purging itself of air the first time round.
Let me know if this helps!
Best of.
Caffiend.

Digs Redasked

I have had the descale indicator come up on my machine. I have descaled it, however the warning light is still there. How can i turn it off?

rolf
rolf

Hello, I have the same problem. Did you get a solution for this? Thanks, rold

Digs Red

I am still waiting for an answer. I was hoping breville australia would be able to help me

Raghu
Raghu

I had the same problem and sent the machine to service center. It seems to be due to a bug in their stock firmware. Mine got upgraded and the problem seems fixed.

Danv87asked

Hi Everyone, I have just purchased the BES920 and smart grinder. On the very first start up I have had immediate problems with the steam boiler not filling with water, and the pump continuing to run, attempting to fill the boiler. The machine reaches temperature at 93°, but the pump keeps running, I ended up swutchingnthe machine offbat about 3.5 minutes. Its going tlback to the shop tomorrow for a 'repair or replace'. Any help or idea are much appreciated. Have turned it off for hours and tried again with no success.

Melita
Melita

Did you get a solution for this as it seems that our new machine has the same problem

Danv87

I just turned it off for some time. Back on again later, let it heat up for about 5-10 mins then ran some steam through and it worked fine. The beeping is when the steam boiler isn't up to temperature, and can't generate steam. Mine was trial and error, turned it on and off a few times, it may have been the following morning when it decided to work, and not a problem since. Hope you get yours up and running!

Dave
Dave

Hello, I just had the same thing... continuously pumping, no steam, only 3 beeps. Don't panic, It's just an air lock.
All I did to remedy was to gently open up the de-scaling screws on the front of the machine. I heard a little hiss of air from the left hand side screw. That was the air lock releasing. Everything worked well after that.
It does take a minute or so to re-pressurise and get up to operating temperature.

Chopperasked

Attempted first descale today (machine told me to). Had it for 3 years and not descaled prior to this (has worked flawlessly). Used Cafetto descaling satchets and followed instructions on the packet. 1 satchet to 1L of descale fluid, I made enough for 2L. All worked well up until the 20 minute count-down where the boiler heats up. At this stage, my machine tripped a circuit breaker. I reset the circuit breaker and restarted the descale. Circuit breaker again! I emptied the descale solution, filled it with normal water, emptied boilers and tried to descale with normal water in the tank. Tripped circuit breaker again. Abandoned the descale idea and tried letting machine heat up normally. Circuit breaker again. Now need to go outside several times to reset circuit breaker just to get water to 90 degrees. Appears heating element is dead. Disappointed that i followed the descale procedure for her to die in this fashion. Does anyone know how much this kind of repair costs?

LouMary
LouMary

I had the exact same problem and although Breville would not admit to it being a 'procedure' or manufacturing fault with the machines' functionality, they paid for a service centre to assess my machine. The repairs amounted to almost $200.00 (without the service call)!!! Breville did not pay for the repairs. Very disappointing seeming as though before the descale the machine works perfectly and after the descale procedure (which has now been revised by Breville), the machine is dead!!!!

This is unacceptable and I will be selling my machine and off to another brand!

Chopper

Absolutely agree with you LouMary. Fortunately, I found my receipt and discovered that I'd bought the extended warranty and that Im still within the window. I'll be getting it repaired and will report back with the failed component. After the warranty elapses and the machine dies again, I will move onto a more (albeit expensive) robust machine. I dont see the sense in spending $1200 every couple of years when I can spend 3x that and get a machine that will last decades. Don't get me wrong, the BES920 has been a great machine and given us faithful service for 2.5 years. But such a fickle failure during a simple descale is not worth risking another $1200 on.

B_F
B_F

I had exactly the same thing happen to my BES920 today. Attempted first descale after being reminded several times. Machine is 18 months old. Used Clean Machine Activated Descaler. Followed the EXACT procedure for descale per the manual. And what happens? The machine trips the safety switch at the 18 min mark on the descale countdown. Tried a second time and it happens again. I'm not going to risk it a third time as it looks like my heating element survived the stress as the machine appears to heat up fine in regular mode. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get the partial descale solution out of the boilers from 2 failed attempts. How annoying Breville!

Michael W

Michael Wasked

Hi Breville! Descaling for the first time - followed instructions and up to "step 5 - fill boilers". Completed Step 4 and pressed the manual button to proceed. However, "VALV" is displayed. I have opened valves again and left it for a while before closing and trying again but same result "VALV" and unable to complete the process. Now unable to use the machine at all (no pressure in boiler). How do I proceed? Model BCG820CRN. Serial number 1447xxxxxxANZ. Purchased 9/9/2015. Registered 23/9/2015. Machine was working fine until I followed the machine prompt to descale!

BrevilleBreville

This may require additional support and troubleshooting with a Breville agent so we may identify the root cause of the issue. Please contact Breville Support at 1 300 139 798 for any necessary troubleshooting and options of remedy. We can also be reached online via: https://www.breville.com.au/support

Aaron F

Aaron Fasked

I tried to descale my BES920, i had the descaling solution in the tank and it alarmed and flashed fill tank when it was full. After removing and replacing the tank and moving the float up and down manually it still flashed the same warning. I rang customer service as suggested in other posts, the operator said to empty some water as it might be too full, did this, no change. Then he said complete a factory reset then it will let me descale, i did this with no luck either, getting the same alarm. This effectively means i have a machine that can't be descaled and as best as i can see. Any advice would be appreciated, I have an extended warranty on the machine.

BrevilleBreville

Be sure to have fully removed the water tank during the descale process as per the instructions, though we would wish to review this further and directly and encourage you to please contact Breville Support promptly to escalate the support request accordingly, we can be reached at 1 300 139 798 or online via: https://www.breville.com.au/support.

See all Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820 questions

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives