Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820

Breville Dual Boiler with Smart Grinder BES920 / BCG820 Questions & Answers (page 2 of 4)

BES920 (Dual Boiler), BCG820 (Grinder)

79 questions from our users

Tracy B

Tracy Basked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

My machine wont build pressure despite many attempts. The water filters through fine but the pressure gauge only moves marginally. Am I prepping i correctly. I am grinding the beans at 3 or 4. Is there somthing I am missing?

Mattmanoo
Mattmanoo

Hey Tracy. It would seem that you maybe grinding your beans to coarse.
I have mine set on 16 while the grind time is about 11.
Maybe start from there and adjust accordingly.
All the best.
Matt

kai
kai

I have tried a few different bean with different result. One of them also cannot build up enough pressure like your situation. Try different grinding size. What my experience was some beans do need a very special grinding size (very big different to the others) to have the pressure correct.

Gosp T

Gosp Tasked

Hello,
I want too know, how many watt need the breville 920 bes to work. Is there a peak over 2200w ?
Thx a lot

Ferenc S

Ferenc Sasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Our BES 920 is a great machine and the shower screen cracked so Breville sent me a new one at no cost and no fuss.
But..the only bugbear I have is when you fit the handle into the group head the two spouts are at an angle to the tray making it awkward to line up two cups.
So my question is, is it possible to rotate or remove and re-align the spout so it is aligned with the machine?
I am a habitual DIYer but always like to research before I dive in.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Ferenc

Lou

Louasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

This is our 3rd Dual Boiler - the two others both replaced under ext. warranty. 1 under "lemon" clause (too many repairs) - 2nd because the ext. warranty we took out replaces the item if the repair takes too long. Anyway - our 3rd machine is not behaving in the same way as the previous two. It gets up to the optimal pressure initially - but after that, for the rest of the pour the pressure continues to drop - sometimes down to 3 or 4. Obviously we are are doing everything the same as we always have (same beans [fresh], same tamping amount etc.) We've played with the grind fineness and amount (as we have done MANY times before), so just wondering if we should be taking our (month old) machine back. I have a nasty feeling they are going to blame user error which is why I'm stressing the point that we've had nearly 6 years experience with the same (model) machine. Any thoughts? Anyone with the same issue?

Donamac53

Donamac53asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have a breville BES920. Two days ago I completed the descaling process. The manual had instructions, however it said to follow instructions of the descaling product, which was included in the purchase of the machine. The descaling was successful however it is still saying descaling needs to be completed. Please advise how to remove notice?

Milly02
Milly02

OMG!. I I have not yet been asked to descale and until I read your question I didn't know I would have to. I will have to buy some descaling solution. I can't find in my Breville book how much solution to use when the time comes. As for your question it just says to Press the Power button to exit the descale mode but you would have already read this. I hope it's am easy task when I get to do it. So sorry!

Ian
Ian

I had exactly the same problem with my BES 920. Ran through the whole descale process (firmware v3) and still got that pesky descale message! Read all the posts and resetting the machine was the common theme. Tried resetting - didn’t work. After my third reset attempt I noticed that machine still had the correct time of day...which I thought was a bit strange after a full factory reset. Turned off the machine at the wall for 30 seconds and still got the message and the clock time was still correct. I figured that the machine must have a short term memory (capacitor?) so this is what I did:

1. Switch off machine at the wall
2. Wait ten minutes
3. Switch on machine at the wall
4. Do a full reset (instructions easy to find online)
5. Descale message gone! (Don’t forget to reset your clock, auto start etc)

Albert
Albert

Yep. Both Breville and Bravo repairs didn't know and wanted to charge me to fix this. So well done Ian.

Anneka E

Anneka Easked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have the BEP920 in black and have little flting ants in my water holder at the back and have cockroaches nesting somewhere in the top, similar to others with the ants. Also the black paint on the machine has been bubbling at the top around the edges of the flap which you press to put the water into, I have rung the service centre and the machine is less than one year old, so well within warranty time but my question is, is the paint bubbling a design fault because if so it would seem rather futile having a new piece put on (which is what the service man said they could do) if the second piece is likely to bubble. Has anyone else had their plaint bubble? Thanks

Greenhillsasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hi there - Another issue after descaling my breville bes920. It was working perfectly before machine indicated a descale was due after 2-3 years. I followed brevilles guidelines exactly and after descale the steamer will not function/heat - 3 dreaded beeps! I Contacted breville and they instructed me that there was probably an air lock and to drain the steamer tank, leave valve open for 3 hours then close. I did this twice and the second time left it overnight to drain but still the same problem. I contacted breville again and they indicated as it is out of warranty there is nothing much they can do........ From what I am reading this seems to be a very common problem and it appears that there may be a batch software fault or similar! any help appreciated?

Gazevs

If the problem was reported prior to warranty expiry and not resolved the warranty remains valid for the problem. You might need to unblock the steam wand holes.

Greenhills

Steam wand definitely not blocked. I actually spoke to the Breville Service agent here in Adelaide to see if it was worth repairing and I was directly informed that there is a known software issue with these and that the thermofuse blows after descale. They advised me that if the thermofuse was replaced and software updated then this would stop it from happening again. I have now contacted Breville service centre and advised them of this and am waiting to hear back with the outcome.......

Hi,
Because the problem started after you descaled the machine, it is related to the steam boiler. The corresponding screw to draining this boiler is the one on the right.
To make sure that the boiler is filling up with water, follow the descale procedure by pressing and holding the single shot button before pressing the power button. navigate to the dESC setting and press the menu button. You should hear a click sound and the display screen is blank.
Make sure the tray has been emptied and remove the silicone tab from the boiler screw recess at the bottom right. Open the boiler drain by turning the right screw anti clockwise. Make sure there is a damp cloth covering the right side of the tray cover, because there may be steam released from the boiler drain.

This next part is different from the user manual.
Empty all the water from the water container and remove the filter from the container. Fill the container half with white vinegar (just a woolies brand is fine). Add a Hillmark Expresso Kleen sachet coffee machine cleaner from Bunnings. About $7 for a pack of 3 sachets. Dissolve the sachet in warm water and add to the container, continue to fill up the container with water until full. Turn on the machine. Once the machine reaches 93 degrees, open the steam wand. Don't worry if it bleeps. The hot water with the cleaning solution will find its way into the wand and other parts of the boiler. Leave the wand open and wait for about 10 minutes. If nothing happens, close the steam wand and wiat another 5 minutes. Open the wand again and leave it open for about 10 minutes, or until steam is coming out of the wand. Repeat running steam through the wand and other parts of the machine, including the group head and hot water spout.
If this does not produce any result, your steam boiler will have to be replaced. (Still a lot cheaper than a new machine)

justjuice

justjuiceasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

For the last couple of months I've been unable to get good results from the steam wand. The milk heats up too quickly and boils before I have a chance to build any volume (the jug becomes too hot to handle after about 5 seconds). The machine also seems to stay very hot, even after unplugged. When it is on the warming area at the top is too hot to touch. Any ideas what might be wrong, or am I just imagining things? Thanks.

Gazevs

The jug feels hot because the end of the steam wand is too close to the jug bottom and your hand. If its heating the milk too quick turn the steam power down. Tje machine will stay hot for some time, it cools slowly.

Heartwashed

There are 2 boilers in this machine. One is for the hot water, which has been factory set to 93 deg and can be changed in the settings. The 2nd boiler is for the steam wand and is fixed at 130 deg. It sounds like the steam wand is getting too hot, which is strange. Maybe it is due for a good descaling. (See your manual)
The plateau on top of the machine is designed to get heated. This is so you can heat the cups you use for your coffee. As the boilers heat up, this area can become quite hot to the touch.
I use a milk thermometer for the milk, so the temp is always around 65 degrees.
When heating the milk, make sure the spout sits just below the surface of the milk, near the edge of the jug. This will generate a maximum amount of micro bubbles - great for your flat white. Keep ithe wand in the one place, try not to move it around.
Hope this is helpful.

Edo013asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

My BES920 has been descaled. Problem is my Steam is not pumping, the steam boiler gets the water but there is obviously no heat and as such (I assume) there is no steam (there are 3 beeps though). Does anyone know how to fix this or is it that the heather in steam boiler stopped working. Also, I used to have only POWER button illuminated and now All 4 of them (Power, Manual, 1 Cup and 2 Cups). I am sure after the descale something hasn't been completed and lights are still on. The following day I have repeated the process as per the instructions but still no luck.
Thanks, Ed

Tangent
Tangent

If the steam boiler worked immediately before the descale process but not now then you are probably correct and the software still thinks its in a descale process. When I descaled it took me a few goes to complete the process. Have another go at trying to complete the descale. turn off and disconnect from the power to reset the machine. If none of this works then you can call Breville to try and resolve it or you'll have to take it to a service centre.

Thanks Tangent,
I have tried everything including full descale 5 times but it still thinks its in the descale mode. Did power reset, than reset of the machine itself (water hardness) and still nothing. Spoken with Breville and they say there is air block somewhere and machine needs to be unblocked. Tied all the suggestions but still no joy. It seems it will need to go for de-blockage at breville service.
Thanks Ed

Gastroback

Gastrobackasked

Hello,
I have a problem with my dual boiler. There is leaking steam from the drip tray and the machine does not heat up to the full temperature. It stops at about 80 C. Could it be that the small boiler (100W?) below the main boiler is broken? Steam on the right works fine.The Steam goes into the drip tray on the left (!) I really need some helo to get it fixed. Maybe another one has the same problem with it.

coffee love
coffee love

Hi there,did you manage to get your problem fixed with your bes920 db machine.
Mine is doing the same, heats up to 80 degrees fine then takes about 20-30 minutes to get to operating temperature
the pid controls don't seem to work

Tahaasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I have Dual boiler 920 for about two years now. It start leaking water from the opposite side of the steam. This only happening while the machine is heating up. The water stops after it reaches the desired temperature. Also the first shot or despised water from the group head take about 12 second till water come out. Any ideas?

brentdanley
brentdanley

I've had this same problem for a few weeks now. Pulled out the tank. Nothing obvious. Let the machine cool down, removed the drip tray, and turned it on to heat up. Leaking on the left side. Must be a worn gasket in the boiler? I put in a request ticket. I hope I don't have to send it in for repairs, but I doubt any of the faulty parts are home serviceable. Good luck.

Colin

Colinasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hello, I can't find the serial number , not the batch number. Any help?

ohwellbyes

look on the machine.. haha friend

Taha

You can find it behind the rolling wheel under the machine.

Michael H
Michael H

I found my serial number by removing the water tank at the back. It's on a sticker on the inside wall.

Reşit N

Reşit Nasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

After descale process no more steam... Really it’s broken now because of the routine of the machine?

Camper
Camper

Sorry I am fraid it needs repair. Sounds like a typical problem. That’s a real shame. The same brake down happened me. After a couple of months use. Still in warrenty no cost to fix, it took about 4 weeks.

ohwellbyes

lol yes it's broken. Just buy another and you will be ok :D

ចិត្រ្តា

ចិត្រ្តាasked

I've got a descaling problem with bep920 dual boiler (the black color). This is the 2nd times I descaled the machine in this week. After I completed descaling, the machine is still showing 'Descale' in LCD. And now, 'Clean me' and 'Descale' are showing at the same time. Could you help me please?

ohwellbyes

i would really like to help you friend :)

BreadBoy

BreadBoyasked

I'm wondering if anyone who has purchased the Breville BEP920BSS has carried out a descale procedure with any success? It seems that there is a proliferation of people having real problems with the earlier BES900 model, and I was wondering if the obvious design faults had been corrected with the later BEP920 update. Before I outlay that amount of money from my pension, I want to know that the new model will perform correctly and not cost me an arm and a leg! I currently use the Barista Express BES870 and it runs like a dream. Thanks for any information with this request.

ohwellbyes

Yes i will help you lol!

Jason

Jasonasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Have just bought the dual boiler and so far very frustrated. Have tried different settings on the grinder started at 12 the recommended grind and have gone up to 25 as am only getting around 10-15ml from extraction. Very new to making coffee but unsure if doing something wrong or machine faulty. Gone to a manual extraction or 2 cups just to get enough for a coffee. Any suggestions as very disappointed?

CHANCHO
CHANCHO

Hi Jason,
I would say you have the grind settings wrong. you should be going finer i.e lower than 11 rather than going up to 25. what your doing is going coarser and in that case it will pour out like a tap. the grind also depends on the freshness of the coffee beans. with older beans you generally need to grind finer to get a decent extraction. if you have very fresh beans then 12-14 would generally work well. I highly doubt its an issue with the machine. easiest way to tell is do a blind shot using the blank rubber they supply and if the pressure gets up to 9-10bar then machine works as it should. if you dont thenit could point to a machine issue. best of luck

Ianjam
Ianjam

Hi Jason
I believe that Chancho have answered your questions.
The variation of quality of beans and its freshness will affect your shots. How much pressure you tempt also affects your flow and quantity of coffee extracted. If you lower you grind to 11 or 10, and still only get 15 to 20 mls, you may be over tempering or may have too much grind in the basket.
Try buying from one of your local cafe or deli and check the roasted date( not the use by date). I try to buy mine within 4 weeks of roasting, i get another 2 to 3 weeks out of it.

Enjoy the journey.
Cheers

bbk

Hi Jason. As the extraction is the same no matter what your grind I would suggest:
1. Checking your dose. There may be too much coffee soaking up/blocking the water. My advice would be don't use the single dose basket, they don't allow for proper water flow and extraction. The double basket is 18g, so if in doubt use some kitchen scales. Aim for somewhere between 18-19g. If you don't want 2 shots you could always save the spares in a sealed container in the fridge for iced coffee.
2. The buttons are programmable. You can set them for whatever water amount you like. Check the manual.

csutak40asked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

I just upgraded from a BE900 and have a simple question. I can't believe all the questions one has to answer on the Breville site, before being able to ask a question, so I thought I'd try here.
On my BE900, one could count how many shots the machine has done: "with the machine turned off, press and hold all 4 buttons, then press the POWER button"
This doesn't seem to work on the BE920, so could you please tell me how to do it?

ohwellbyes

push the button and it will show the shots. my good friend

csutak40

Sorry, which button? As I said, the instructions provided for BE900 (as above) doesn't work

Kyle L

Kyle Lasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

It seems we may be in the same situation. We've just set up our brand new 920 and there is no pressure on the gauge and no steam with dreaded 3 beeps. Has anybody had luck with this? All I see is breville rep saying call help line - great.

Breville
BrevilleBreville

Generally, this is a result of turning the machine on with the steam wand lever in an open or slightly open position, which can be simply a result of having unpacked the new machine out of the box. Please ensure the steam wand lever is fully closed, that you are not using demineralized water (distilled, reverse osmosis) and try again. If you have a more immediate need to contact one of our dedicated support reps, give us a call Monday through Friday 8.30AM to 5:00PM (AEST) at 1300-139-798.

Please contact customer service or buy a new BES920. Thank you

Stephen ONeillasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Hello, Our BES920 has been quite reliable, it has has the solenoid seal replaced but that was all until today. Unfortunately it now does not stop heating when it gets to the specified temperature of 93degC; it just keeps getting hotter and hotter. It this an economically repairable fault?

bbk

Overheating is most often caused by scale on the boiler probe. In a commercial environment I'd normally have an on call tech come out and give it a clean. Does the BES920 have a descale function? If so, give it a try. If not, get in contact with Breville and explain the issue.

Stephen ONeill

Turned out to be the "Triac" board that controls the temperature. Got this fixed and the seals started leaking again.

Glenford

Glenfordasked

BES920 (Dual Boiler)

Our machine is only 1 month old. Occasionally when on standby mode the pump suddenly starts up and runs for 30 seconds or so. It repeats this a few times and then the pump noise stops and all is quiet again. This happened on Day 1 when we first used the machine and 1 month down the track is happened again. Why does it do this, is there a problem.

Alan Clay
Alan Clay

Possibilities.
1/ Have you programmed in your own settings, including setting the clock? If so, try this inconvenient but simple test. With the machine off, turn the off the wall switch, unplug, plug in turn on at wall, and turn machine back on. If it has forgotten your user settings(including the time, you have a faulty PCB (programmable Control Board) which will need replacing!
2/ Is there water in the drip tray after the machine has stood overnight, possibly a minor leak. which partially drains the boiler tank and allows a small amount of air to enter the boiler, as the tank heats the air is compressed confusing the PCB, causing it to believe the need for pressure to displace the lack of pressure is the result of normal operation, so the pump kicks in. On simple check, when the machine is at operating temperature , all lights are on, and the LCD reads 93 Celsius, very gently open the hot water outlet. If you notice a spurt of air, you have a leak in the system. The very first this occurred, may simply have been the result of the whole system purging itself of air the first time round.
Let me know if this helps!
Best of.
Caffiend.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives