2Breville Crystal Clear BKE595

38%12%50%

DGD
DGDBrisbane6 posts

Pain in the backside

I do like this kettle, but it is very slow to boil sometimes and and absolute pain to keep cleaning. I would still get it again as I had a shock with finding a dead cockroach in my friends kettle (ew!) and now cant use anything I dont see. I just wish it boiled a bit faster.

Nicole
NicolePerth2 posts
  BKE595

This is a great product . It looks attractive and boils quickly and efficiently. It has a large capacity and is easy to use. We have read reviews saying that sometimes the handle separates from the jug but we have seen no sign of that yet. We would recommend it.

PriSydney, NSW47 posts
Jono
JonoSydney, NSW5 posts

Beautiful design, terrible quality

We bought this lovely looking kettle and after 3 months lid would not stay closed to to handle pulling away from jug. Meyer replaced, but now we have the same issue. I glued the handle back but the lightweight plastic of the lid mechanism is cracked and so the lid won't stay closed. Shame as the rest of the (functionally useless) kettle is great.

Jess
JessMelbourne2 posts

Disappointed

Purchased this less than 6 months ago and the lid won't close properly. It first started popping open by itself when it had boiled, making me think I hadn't closed it. Then it started opening while I was pouring the water into my teapot, nearly burning my hand with the steam. Now it doesn't shut at all. Unfortunately we threw the receipt away just prior to Christmas. Would love a refund or just a better model...

Woodster
WoodsterAdelaide2 posts
  BKE595

Auto switch off not working

As with other comments, my kettle (after 18 months) does not auto switch off when chosen setting is "boiling black tea". Typical of products manufactured in China whereby while they may be made to Australian standards which broadly guides safety and other operational aspects, this does not extend to the finer intricate parts/sensors/quality of components etc...where failures tend to be most paramount - not only for kettles but most other electronic goods.

Lovely design however, quiet and we have had no problems with the lid or discolouration of the glass.

Ryan M
Ryan MBrisbane2 posts

Good product

Bought it for my girl friend as a gift, she loves looking at water boiling inside. I like the design and different temperature control features for different purposes. Have used a few other brands before, but they all look quite similar. This one is a bit more expensive but worth the money.

Russell
RussellPerth, WA22 posts

Good design Poor Lid Failure

Great design and boils well but after 3 months the lid failed to open, we use a knife to pry it open now, so disappointing. The clear glass is nice and it is easy to clean if you can get that lid open. I wish Breville would put more effort in to reliability.

Update May 2017. The pesky lid came good for about 2 months, failed again for about 2 weeks and has come good again. I have no idea what is causing this.

Show details ·  2

Chinchin
Chinchin9 posts

This product is dangerous

This jug is only suited for using 1 or 2 cups at a time. When needing to use the entire jug contents of boiling water, the boiled water once emptied still holds the boiling water in the lid/handle area which has caused several burns on my hand. The latest burn was so bad that I had to drop the jug, which is totally smashed. Pretty lousy response from breville, despite contacting them and sending photos through of the burn etc (twice now), there has been no response back.

This product is dangerous and Breville not concerning themselves at all with this does not give me faith in their products or customer service at all.

Lee W
Lee W
Joel
JoelSydney, NSW2 posts

Defective Lid Design

The lid started breaking after about a year before finally falling off on a 19 month old kettle. It doesn't open/close with the press of the button any more - we need to use our fingers to pry it pen every time. Not what I'd expect from a $100 kettle. Wasn't offered much by way of customer service/warranty - except to but the same kettle for $54, which isn't great assuming it's got a good chance of needing replacement in the next 2-3years.

Matt T
Matt TMelbourne3 posts
  BKE595

Good kettle, but discolours quickly

This kettle boils nicely, quickly, and quietly.

The only negative is that it it's very prone to discolouration around the heating element and the inside of the glass. This happens in every kettle, but given that the look of this glass kettle is such a strong selling point, it's a lot more visible!

I've used the recommended kettle cleaner a few times and, while it cleans up nicely, the effect is temporary at best and within a week or two it's turning brown again. I've moved house with the kettle as well so it's not something I've been able to trace back to old pipes or anything else like that - just standard Melbourne tap water.

AMAC
AMACGippsland, VIC6 posts

Rubbish

We have a Breville Crystal Clear glass kettle it looks fantastic when boiling but, every time the kettle boils the lid opens and the kettle continues to boil for a short while before stopping. The steam that is emitted turns to water upon contact with the kitchen cupboards. Very poor quality.

orangecat
orangecatSydney, NSW19 posts
Breville   DM

Hi Orangecat - your message has been forwarded to the customer service manager for attention. Thanks, the Breville team

Guy
Guy4 posts
  BKE595

The glass on the pourer broke too easily

It's actually an ok kettle. We've had it for about 6 months. In the first two weeks we tapped the tip of the pourer/spout on a cup and chipped the glass. We lived with it for another 6 months, then when it happened again a larger chunk of glass broke off. Important to note that it is glass, and not a super strong material.

Avoiding a glass one next time and going for another steel one.

Jim
JimMetropolitan Adelaide, SA2 posts

Lasted 15 months - NOT Impressed

Power light failed after 2 weeks but I put up with that. Now handle has broken off. 12 month warranty .. what a joke ! I bought this because I thought it was a quality item...going back to plastic.

Leonnie L
Leonnie LHay

Super quiet

Only purchased this kettle 2 days ago but I am so impressed with the quietness of it- my last 2 kettles were very noisy compared to this one, so if noise factor is something you consider when purchasing- buy this one. Also it is very elegant looking- as far as kettles go!

Show details ·  1

alisa.stephens
alisa.stephensGoulburn, New South Wales6 posts

Worked well, until today

We've had our kettle for over just over 2 years... It's worked well, despite the scale build-up on the base, but today, the auto shut-off stopped working. (Thankfully, hubby had filled it right up, so it didn't boil dry, but it filled our kitchen with steam.) We had a successful boil later this afternoon, but tonight, it's gone again.

Disappointing considering it was a $100 kettle.

I've always found Breville appliances to be pretty damned reliable. My toaster is over 10 years old, and still goes well.

Breville   DM

Hi Alisa - if you'd like to contact customer service regarding a service agent please call 1300 139 798. Thanks, the Breville team

Heath
HeathSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

Safety Hazard

Within 12 months the Auto shut-off function stopped working. The Kettle would just keep boiling until it was turned off manually. Replaced with same as I figured it had to be a one-off, but it happened again 14 months later (my bad). I managed to get a video on my phone of it boiling furiously for over a minute. I wrote to Breville and got the typical corporate response you would expect - "Our products are manufactured to Australian standards"... blah, blah,blah. What difference does that make if the darn thing boils dry and catches fire. Do not buy this kettle unless you are willing to watch it like a hawk.

Breville   DM

Hi Heath - your comments will be sent to the design team for feedback. Thanks, the Breville team

Marianne Y
Marianne YSydney28 posts

Excellent Kettle

I wanted to write a review on this kettle. It's the best kettle I have bought. I have had the kettle over a year now and I have had no issues at all with the lid mechanism. It's actually quite good, as I can see if the base of the kettle gets rusty. Then I am able to fill it up with cold water and add sliced lemon and boil it continuously with the lid open, so the rust can diminish. I highly recommend it.

clp81
clp81Geraldton3 posts

Expensive disposable kettle

All my small appliances are Breville, so when my kettle broke I didn't hesitate to buy a Breville crystal clear. First kettle lasted 15 months, dodgy switch wouldn't stay on. Gave Breville the benefit of the doubt and replacted with another. The second one only lasted 13 months, it kept switching off before boiling. Looks good, but a waste of money!

D.K.
D.K.South Australia3 posts

worst kettle ever

Heavy, pours badly, lid mechanism U.T.S. cannot get hand in kettle to clean it. Bottom of kettle gets a nasty brown mark from the element which looks disgusting. Why can you design a reasonable kettle. Don't tell me it is the water which stains as we have very soft rainwater.

Will never buy again.

Chez
ChezGold Coast Qld.14 posts
Koffer Koper
Koffer Koper24 posts
Breville   DM

Hi Koffer Koper - our design team appreciates feedback. Thanks, the Breville team

Carol and Frank
Carol and FrankPerth, WA27 posts

The Choice is Clear

Only recently purchased but very impressed so far. Quickly boils water with a 2400W concealed heating element and you are able to observe how clean or otherwise it is inside the kettle. German Schott Glass Jug which is not as noisy as most kettles. Guaranteed for twelve months hopefully it will last much longer than that.

Show reply

MusicVeg
MusicVegSan Remo34 posts

Fantastic Kettle

Best kettle I have ever owned. Love the glass, easy to clean and keep an eye on when it is due for a descale. Rapid boil. Opening and closing is so easy and smooth action. Not as noisy as other kettles I have owned. Owned since May 2015, bought from JB Hifi for $79 with free delivery.

Show 2 replies

Weiwei
WeiweiPerth, WA66 posts
  BKE595

Perfect kettle - so glad I got this!

Have had the Breville crystal clear kettle for about 2.5 years and have not had a problem with the kettle.

It’s stylish, does the job, glass allows you to see how much water is left and whether or not it needs to be cleaned.

Every couple of months I have found the bottom of the kettle to go black, due to calcification – putting a couple of slices of lemon or using lemon juice and boiling it 2 or 3 times does the job to completely wash away the blackness at the bottom of the kettle.

This kettle was claimed using credit card points!

Lesley
LesleySydney, NSW4 posts

Don't buy this Kettle!!!

I bought this kettle from Myer in April 2013 and last week when I was boiling water -the lid popped open and the kettle would not stop boiling. I had to turn it off at the power point and then when I lifted it - I found the handle had become loose - thus very dangerous when full of hot water! The warranty is only 12 months and so it becomes a very expensive disposable kettle. I noticed on the Breville website a similar problem is occurring in another one of their kettles and they are having a recall but not on the 595 glass kettle. Very unsatisfactory customer service from both Breville and Myer. Don't buy this kettle!!

Cavitation
CavitationSydney, NSW80 posts
Wing
Wing

lid faulty

Bought the kettle for only a year from Myer. about a month ago the lid started opening itself while boiling and it won't open again anymore since yesterday! It came with a year warranty and broke down right after it. It wasn't even used much as I am the only person using it. This kettle costed $99 and if Breville is expecting customers to buy a new one every year, it'd be ridiculous!

Ronnie
RonnieAU7 posts

Don't bother

Well, it boils water, but I regret my purchase. Bought for $99 September 2014 and now, July 2015, it is not operating safely. The lid pops open as it comes to boil and this deactivates the cut off switch. This results in steam pouring out the open lid/top, covering the overhead copboards in water, and discovering the kettle nearly boiling dry when I was not in the room. Shall return it to Target where it was purchased. I would prefer a refund to a replacement as, reading the reviews here, it seems the problem with the lid has not been resolved. In addition the frequent discoloration inside the bottom plate is very off putting.

Lisa
LisaGold Coast
  BKE595

Shame about the faulty lid

I got a bke595 1.7lt Schott glass kettle for Christmas 2014 and it has been working perfectly until recently the lid stopped opening when I press the release button to refill with water. Need to pry it open every time. I don't think I will be able to find a receipt for it since it was a gift. My husband said he bought it from David Jones at Robina Town Center December 2014. Not sure if they will honour the warranty for it If we go back there

Wombat3
Wombat3Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC15 posts
  BKE595

I like to see the inner workings

I like to see the inner workings of appliances. It provides immediate intuitive visceral feedback. Such as a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

It also boils water.

The actual model is: Breville the Crystal Clear BKE595 electric kettle

DJW
DJW2 posts

A bit disappointing - Consider carefully Safety Concerns

The Kettle I have (purchased Dec 2014) tends to open the slow release lid as it is boiling, allowing steam to wet the bench area and around powerpoints. This also seems to deactivate the auto cut off so it will boil dry if not attended to. I see this as a safety issue of some concern. I also note that the kettle bottom plate stains quickly, although easily cleaned with water and vinegar, it looks unsightly. Like Margot's review, also agree that there is risk of scalding, need to be careful.

P. Ng
P. Ng

Lid no longer opens

I bought this kettle less than six months ago at Big W, have used it to only boil water in and while it looks fantastic, the lid of the kettle no longs open! I press the button to open it so I can fill it up with water, but it doesn't work. I try to pry it open but it's quite difficult to do that.

So I have to fill it up from the spout, which I'm not too thrilled about. Anyone else come across this problem?

Margot
Margot4 posts
  BKE595

lid opening when it reaches boiling point

My kettle has started to open when it reaches boiling point and doesn't shut off

you have to be near by to shut lid and it takes few attempts to get it shut

Worried about getting scalded. Anyone else had this problem?

Breville   DM

Hi Margot - can you please contact Breville customer service about this - 1300 139 798. Thanks, The Breville Team

Ross
RossSydney7 posts

Leaks From Power Switch - slight design flaw

Everything about this kettle is great, but it leaks through the power switch when tilted backwards.

It seems as though the water finds it's way down through the handle and into the base. The only place for the water to escape is through the switch.

I still think it's a great kettle regardless.
Looks great on the kitchen bench
It leaks from the power switch when tilted backwards

Bee C
Bee CPerth, WA29 posts
Yep
YepMelbourne9 posts

Love it so far :-)

Had this kettle about 1 month now & there has been no problems at all. I love the look of it & the fact that you can see exactly how much water is in it! Also love that it is glass & BPA free. The only niggle I have is that it does not switch off automatically if you take it off the base before the end of the boil... My last, Russell Hobbs, one did & I've got to get into the habit of switching it off before picking up if I want a "cooler" boil for my green tea. Otherwise, all good!
Look, easy to use, ergonomic & comfy handle.
No auto switch off when picked up
Danno