Breville Crystal Clear

27 questions from our users

Wendy

Wendyasked

Crystal Clear

what kind of materials made of this Breville crystal kettle? the black material around inside and outside is it safe to use it?

Ken B
Ken B

I believe so, however we have subsequently 'cleaned' it by boiling with a very concentrated solution (1:4) of carb soda and water. Boiled it vigorously for some time and the sediment lifted straight off. The water became quite blue. Left it to cool and cleaned it out three times with clear water.... good as new. However, almost needs doing again after a month. Sydney water?

Anna

Annaasked

Crystal Clear

How can I stop the condensation on the glass

Bas4asked

Crystal Clear

I purchased a Breville BKE840 Kettle (glass) and it leaked through the base after only 3 days. Got a replacement and it leased also. Now on my 3rd one and it has started to leak also after 3 days. Is Breville going to change the design of the glass kettles to something that doesn’t leak? Because you have glass sitting on a metal element separated by a rubber grommet, it’s always going to leak. Different expansion contraction properties. It really is a very poor design and is damaging your brand reputation

Eilis W.
Eilis W.

Yes agree. I have had the same problem. Bought one which leaked and replacement does the same. Safety issue needs to be rectified. Will go and ask for refund on 2nd one.

Dennis F.

Dennis F.asked

Crystal Clear BKE595

Why does the lid pop open when water has boiled

Rohan C.
Rohan C.

Ours does the same

A M G
A M G

It’s broken.
If it’s under warranty get it replaced.
Pretty common with this model

katiepasked

Crystal Clear

Our Kettle is randomly switching on at least at the base. Without touching it! The temp lights randomly switch from tea to boil and when you use the kettle the on off switch goes back to standby frequently. Concerned it can cause an electrical issue. Is this common? We only use the kettle occasionally so it should be over use

Bas4

My Breville BKE840 glass kettle (3rd one - all leak water) was doing something similar. Pick up the base, and give it a shake and see if water comes out. Our lights were coming on randomly as well and discovered the base was full of water. The electricity could be tracking through the water and causing problems with the electrics.

katiep

Thanks. We already checked and no water was coming out. My brother has the same model and his started doing the same thing

Eileen2704

Eileen2704asked

Crystal Clear

Hi my Crystal Clear Breville Kettle stoppped working, White lights work but when I press press the start button and all the lights go out. any ideas or can anyone help?

Troy A

Troy Aasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

Hi, I bought this less than a year ago and the lid doesn’t close because the handle has separated at the top. How do I fix that?

Carrie

Carrieasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

Got the Crystal clear Kettle just suddenly wouldn’t turn on, the white light not respond at all, same problem anyone?

Richard H

Richard Hasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

All kettes I have owned have automatically shut off when picked up of the base before boiling. This is a safety feature. I occasionly lift it off early because it takes a long time to turn off when it . I am sure it is a fault what should I do?

ninkasi

The switch on this kettle does not flick off when you lift it from the base. Yes, that would have been a good feature, but it doesn't have it. If you find that the kettle is taking a long time to switch off after it appears to be boiling though, make sure the lid is properly closed - if the steam is escaping then it will take much much longer, if ever, to reach full boil. I have found that it is possible that the hinge assembly may be damaged that in turn allows the lid to pop slightly open when the kettle starts to boil. short term solution is to place something heavy on the lid, but if it is still under warranty contact Breville for a warranty claim.

If the lid is fine, then also make sure the kettle is clean - ie no scale deposit on the bottom. If it is brown, then that may also cause issues - both longer boiling times as well as a noisier/more energetic boil. To clean the kettle, just cut up a lemon and boil that in the kettle then leave it stand for a few minutes. Rinse it out and then wipe the bottom with a clean cloth to remove any remaining brown marks so it nice and shiny.

Net

Netasked

Crystal Clear

Hi I bought the Breville kettle in November 2017 and now the kettle won't switch on. The base seems to work but not the kettle any ideas as there not cheap?

KW Chan
KW Chan

I think your kettle is still under warranty. Best is to contact your shop or Breville.

ninkasi

If the base is fine, then it may be dirt/corrosion on the contacts. In any case, have a hunt for the receipt and definitely contact Breville for a warranty claim.

Jon B.

There is a thermal switch in the bottom of kettle over time it bends slightly enough to not make contact bending it back a bit can fix this if you are good at fiddling with things

John H

John Hasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

BKE595XL - lid pops open and kettle does not shut off. DANGEROUS APPLIANCE. What recourse do I have? It's been doing this for 6 months. Been scalded a couple times.

ninkasi

Check my recent review - the kettle is great but the design is such that people can damage the lid without realising it. I suspect that what has happened to yours is the hinge on the lid is broken/damaged. When the kettle starts to boil the steam forces the lid up, letting the steam out and preventing the kettle from reaching a full boil so it does not switch off. You can place something heavy on the lid to prevent it from popping open but that is a very temporary solution. If your kettle is still under warranty then contact Breville (https://www.breville.com/us/en/support/Warranty.html). Although it has an official 1 year warranty I think it is reasonable to expect a kettle to at least last a couple of years, so even if it is out of warranty officially you may still be able to claim under the consumer guarantee (https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees).

Personally, I'd stop using the kettle. You've already been scalded by it.

Carol

Carolasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

I accidentally got water on the underside of my Crystal Clear kettle. Now it is slow to boil and the auto shutoff doesn't seem to work. i have it sitting in dry rice. Any thoughts?

Chinchin
Chinchin

Ooh not too sure about that one. All I recommend is don't approach Breville, they will only try to make a buck and sell you another one. Even though their products are faulty and dangerous!! Go back to where you bought it from. Especially if the jug spirts out water causing the underneath to get wet....

Russell
Russell

How is it now after drying it out? By the way my stuck lid is opening again normally after being faulty for a month. It could have been calcium in the hinge that dislodged eventually.

gaily

gailyasked

Crystal Clear Kettle.

We have had our kettle less than a year and the glass has broken just by putting hand in and cleaning the inside base. Was not rough with it at all. What can be done about this? We love the Brevelle appliances and are extremely disappointed, there must be a fault with the type of glass. Have had no other complaints about this product.

Thanks so much.

BrevilleBreville

Hi Gaily - please contact customer service to discuss further - 1300 139 798 (during business hours). Thanks, the Breville team

Szeasked

Crystal Clear BKE480

Hi, just bought this kettle from Myer with 20% off. First use to boil water and it keep boiling (about few minutes still nonstop boiling) until turn off manually. It seems unnormal and quite dangerous compare to my previous Breville kettle, pls. any advise?
Thx

BrevilleBreville

Hi Sze - please call customer service for best advice 1300139798. Thanks, the Breville team

Guy
Guy

Make sure you're not over filling it too..

Sze

No, water is under the max line.

motherofall

motherofallasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

I bought my kettle from the Good Guys. Based on what I saw & a family member owning one. not sure what is happening but the condensation has started right from the first boil & hasn't disappeared. My brothers unit does not do this. Any thoughts ?

BrevilleBreville

HI Motherofall - customer service can troubleshoot this with you - 1300 139 798 - or if you have the receipt please return to place of purchase. Thanks, the Breville team

Sharon
Sharon

I have the exact same problem, did it ever get resolved?

Mteale

Mtealeasked

Crystal Clear

Today I removed the filter from my VKJ785 kettle for cleaning and found that the plastic surround to the metal filter is disintegrating. It is crumbling to the touch and now dropping black plastic particulate into the water. I'm very concerned by this and now when the water boils it turns cloudy before turning clear again, something which never happened before. How can I fix this and where can I get a new filter? Preferably one suited to the job!

BrevilleBreville

Hi Mteale - you will need to liaise with Breville UK (which is a different company to Breville Australia). Customer support details can be found at this link http://www.breville.co.uk/service-and-support/product-support/product-faqs/product-faqs.html

Thanks, the Breville Australia team

Khathyasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

Hi everyone, I bought my kettle recently, I have noticed that the condensation of water stays inside the glass kettle and it looks ugly is anyone has the same issue and is there s solution?

D.K.
D.K.

Hi, I found the same, however it appears to be scale as opposed to condensation. Apparently one has to descale the kettle often. I personally, am very unhappy with this kettle. It is too heavy ( which I know, is my problem) but I feel it is a design fault, it pours badly as the spout is too short and not sharp enough. On mine the inside base also goes an awful brown colour where the element sits underneath, very unsightly and unhealthy looking, even descaling does not remove it.
All in all I think this is badly designed kettle. I complained to Breville, perhaps every-one should do the same. Breville has lost a customer in me, I will NOT buy their products again.

honestopinion
honestopinion

Mine does this. I've never been concerned with the look of it though. Gently swish the water around the jug once the water has cooled a bit. Also, mine had a gradual build up of light brown scale over the element too but i used kettle cleaner and wiped inside with a cloth to loosen it and it is sparkling like brand new. i do use flitered tap water though so maybe thats kept it from being really badly stained.

Khathy

I am unhappy as well and I will not recommend it to anyone.

Blueburner

Blueburnerasked

Crystal Clear BKE595

Has anyone else had their kettle auto-switch off before it has boiled? This seems to be an intermittent issue. Kettle is about 2.5 yrs old.

bomb3rman
bomb3rman

Hi There, Yes we have the same issue with ours. Around 2.5 yrs old as well... Did you manage to contact Breville about it?

Lindaasked

Hi
I have one of these kettles (15mths old) and the inside metal base has got a sort of green discolouration that I can not get off. It looks mouldy. Someone above mentioned boiling vinegar?? Is that diluted in water ? Or has anyone had success with another method?

DJW
DJW

Green would indicate Copper corrosion, yes, you can try a mixture of vinegar and water, try about 60% water, 40% vinegar, boil and let stand for a few hours and then rinse out thoroughly. Repeat if necessary. I exchanged my Breville for a Sunbeam, the Brevile was a dangerous.

Linda

I tried this and it did clear the green colouring straight away . Thanks for your help.

Jon B.

Mckenzie’s Citric acid couple of tbs,boil then let sit for 15 mins discard,rinse kettle.new like when you brought it

terri777asked

Crystal Clear BKE595

Does the glass gradually get dirty from water contaminants?

Zoidie
Zoidie

Hi there, I have had no issues with the glass getting cloudy or anything like that.

Ross
Ross

I haven't noticed the glass getting dirty, but the base of the kettle (the stainless steel area inside) does get dirty from water contaminants.

terri777

Thanks both. It was mainly the appearance that I was concerned about, so if it stays looking good that's fine. We use filtered water so that may help with the inner contaminants.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives