Breville Crystal Clear

Breville Crystal Clear (page 2 of 5)

BKE750, BKE290, BKE480 and BKE595

ninkasi

ninkasiMelbourne

Great kettle with a design flaw

Date PurchasedAug 2013

Lid pops open during boiling water

Unfortunately short after the warranty expired the lid start to open while I was boiling water. Because of that the pot will not turn off. I did not try to see if it will boil all the water out and bun down but it is very dangerous. You will also burn your hand trying to close the lid. Unusable at this point. I puled out my 5 year old Oster from the close and it still works. Product not worth the money. It sounds like a recall since lots of people have the same issue.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Terrible

Worked for two weeks until lid became fused shut somehow, after a quick Google I discovered this was very common with the model. Disappointed as this is the most expensive kettle I have ever bought. I would not recommend this kettle at all, I'm hoping on getting a full refund.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
TPA

TPAMelbourne

Lasted 4 years, good kettle

Had a good innings with this kettle - 4 years. Towards the end it became very noisy and had trouble with the lid not opening automatically so has been replaced. It needs regular descaling to remove discolouration on the heating element/base, as with all clear kettles on the market. A soak in water/vinegar and a wipe does the trick. It has a great 7 cup capacity, but be aware that it is pretty heavy to lift/pour at full capacity. Although I liked this kettle I have replaced it with a Sunbeam Maestro clear kettle this time, which is same capacity, slightly lighter, less expensive and easier to fill (with wider lid opening).

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Miffed

MiffedSouth Australia

Lid keeps opening when boiling

Bought a BKE595. Two months after purchase, the lid started opening whilst the kettle was still boiling. I took back the HN's and was given a replacement one. Have just trashed the replacement one as we had the same problem with the lid opening whilst in operation, and found this potentially dangerous. Very disappointed with Breville, and would be very reluctant to purchase the brand again. Breville obviously not interested, only interested in sales.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

KW Chan

KW ChanSydney, NSW

Cool looking transparent kettle

Looks cool and very visible. Find it useful to be visible so that I know when the boiler is dirty and needs cleaning or descaling. The on/off switch has an indicator light. There is a storage for the power cable too. Used it for a day and loved it. Hope it will last.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Jane Wiles

Jane WilesMelbourne

Permanent condensation on inside glass

I purchased this product because we had a clear glass Breville kettle for many years and were happy with it.
This model however BKE595 has permanent condensation on the inner glass from first use the won't go away and detracts from the clear glass look.
Very disappointed with the product.
I rang Breville and they said it's 'normal' but it never happened with our previous model.
Seriously ask them to demonstrate the model that you want to purchase before buying.
Very disappointed!!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Jacky

JackyBrisbane

Not cheapest, not most expensive.

We wanted a glass kettle, and this one does the job. Previously we picked up a cheaper, non-brand from Kmart, that took forever to boil. This one, obviously more expensive, boils in a much shorter time. The extra $$$ is worth it to save myself getting impatient waiting for my cuppa.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Liang

Liang

Easy to use

This electric kettle has a large capacity and a very simple appearance. It is easy to use and easy to clean. Glass body is BPA free so is good for health. It should be noted that water must not be filled too much when boiling water.It can be very heavy when filled with water and may not be suitable for girls.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Tony

TonyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Nice looking kettle, but broke down within a year, poor quality

It was a nice looking kettle, and I have used it for a couple months, but I did realise that quality was a bit poor, especially around the seal with the lid, sometimes, it deforms so much so that the lid cannot be closed.

And after 8 or so months, it failed, stopped powering on, which I then brought back to Harvey Normal Melbourne QV, and they happily refunded it and I replaced with another model one, much better choice I had to say.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

consumer007

consumer007Sydney

Great looking Kettle. Nice addition to our home

Excellent looking Kettle. Nice to watch it boil and fancy look to it. Looks great. Boils water. What else could you want? I've heard you need to clean these with vinegar but haven't had any issues so far. Looks great if you have a nice kitchen i suppose. Does what any kettle does.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Neil

NeilPerth

Looks good ... that's where it ends.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

ChrisPerth

Disgusting service from Breville

Bought new BKE595 for Christmas present to house. Used 3 times then glass cracked and kettle leaked. Phoned through to Breville Australia to ask about 12 month replacement guarantee, was told Breville don't cover the glass so basically not interested in listening further. So that's it a GLASS kettle that is not covered by Breville guarantee or warranty. I would not recommend any Breville product after this experience.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Breville
BrevilleBreville

Hi Chris, although we don't manufacture a replacement glass carafe that certainly does not mean there are no options. We should have taken care of this without hesitation and I'd like to do just that, will be sending a direct message shortly.

MB_PR

MB_PRAU

Looks nice, but functionally not great

This kettle (BK595) looks really good, but the heating element causes the bottom plate to scale up quickly and this looks unsightly. The boil sensor must be poorly placed as sometimes it boils for 30-90 seconds before it switches off. Now, after a little over 2 years, the lid opener has broken internally, so it can't be opened now - and the screws holding it together can only be accessed when the lid is open, so it's non-repairable.
So, while I liked the idea of a glass kettle, rather than plastic which flakes after time, getting only 2 years out of this is very disappointing - though probably all that can be expected these days.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Boiling doesn't always shut off

As others have said, this can have issues and keep boiling and not shut off. I've stopped using the product due to my predicted disaster of someone getting burnt or this appliance boiling dry. I'm surprised, given the other reviews a recall hasn't been initiated. Stay well clear of this.

Date PurchasedOct 2015
Leigh

LeighGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

A cup of chlorine to go please..

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Rachel Z

Rachel ZAU

good quality

bought this kettle as the lid of our last kettle fell off after less than 1yr use,love the soft open lid of this one,and the design looks good too,however there's water mark down the bottom after use it a few times but i think it's the common problem of all kettles,just need descaling regularly

Date PurchasedAug 2017

ShoppersChoice

ShoppersChoice

Love it

Love the fact that I can see inside for any FBs but never been a problem. And looks awesome while boiling. I sometimes want to add water and the lid will not open when its hot. Must be a safety function but I can add water through the spout. Great XMas gift,

Date PurchasedDec 2015

nic

nic

I returned it.

The lid pops open at random times during boils cycle. The glass is nice but unless you can ensure stains don't build up on base plate you will get a beautiful view of stained metal. It is quite expensive compared with other similar glass kettles which don't have a track record of problems like this model. I think under consumer law Breville should have stopped selling these until the issue is fixed, it is not dangerous but there is clear trend of faults in this line.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Sam

SamLaunceston, TAS

Not entirely convinced.

I bought this kettle about 2 months ago. It boils quite quickly and quietly, and is and attractive addition to my kitchen bench.

However, there are a few shortcomings with this model. The auto-off switch doesn't cut out when the kettle is remove from the base (meaning the kettle will resume boiling once re-docked). The single-walled glass and stainless steel body can get very hot to touch when in use, and are a magnet for airborne grime and fingerprints.

Unfortunately, I have had a couple of incidents of the flip lid popping open by itself when in use that others have reported on here. When this happens, the kettle auto-off doesn't work, and the kettle could potentially boil dry if unsupervised.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Wendy

Wendyasked

what kind of materials made of this Breville crystal kettle? the black material around inside and outside is it safe to use it?

Ken B
Ken B

I believe so, however we have subsequently 'cleaned' it by boiling with a very concentrated solution (1:4) of carb soda and water. Boiled it vigorously for some time and the sediment lifted straight off. The water became quite blue. Left it to cool and cleaned it out three times with clear water.... good as new. However, almost needs doing again after a month. Sydney water?

Anna

Annaasked

How can I stop the condensation on the glass

Bas4

Bas4asked

I purchased a Breville BKE840 Kettle (glass) and it leaked through the base after only 3 days. Got a replacement and it leased also. Now on my 3rd one and it has started to leak also after 3 days. Is Breville going to change the design of the glass kettles to something that doesn’t leak? Because you have glass sitting on a metal element separated by a rubber grommet, it’s always going to leak. Different expansion contraction properties. It really is a very poor design and is damaging your brand reputation

Eilis W.
Eilis W.

Yes agree. I have had the same problem. Bought one which leaked and replacement does the same. Safety issue needs to be rectified. Will go and ask for refund on 2nd one.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Breville Crystal Clear BKE595

Breville the Crystal Clear BKE750

CategoryElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric Kettles
Price (RRP) $99.95$129.95
Capacity1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L
Features360° Swivel Base, BPA Free and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free and Water Gauge
Variable Temperatures NoNoNoNo
Construction Material Glass and Stainless SteelGlass and Stainless SteelGlass and Stainless SteelGlass and Stainless Steel
Colour / Finish Clear GlassBlack, RedGlass vessel, Brushed Stainless Steel Power Base
Power2,400 W2,400 W
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Release dateJan 2019