5Breville Crystal Clear

Breville Crystal Clear (page 2)

2.8

125 reviews · Statistics

38% · 4865 · 52%
Noise Level
Best Kettles
See the Best Kettles in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Breville Crystal Clear125 reviews
Jim W.
Jim W.TASHobart, TAS2 posts
  BKE595

Lid opens while kettle is boiling

Like many others I too have had it boil dry because the lid will not stay closed when the water comes to a boil... we have had one situation where the kitchen was filled with steam because it boiled dry.. the lid release is of poor design and will fail, potentially scalding the user.

This is a very badly designed product and I find it hard to believe that this is still allowed to be sold, it should be part of a recall. Show details

Noise Level
Jenny
JennySydney11 posts
  Verified BKE595

So far so good. Quite impressed with the speed of the boiler

The kettle heats up quite quick, about 1 min for level 1.7L of water. Quite exxy, bought it for $60. Hopefully this last for 2 years+. Also the boiler isn't too quiet, and can be a bit loud for some people also a bit heavy to carry, it's not very lightweight.

Bec
BecWAPerth, WA4 posts

Very disappointed

Not happy at all and have bought a few breville kettles over the years and never had this problem. Bought it late last year and it rusted at the bottom in a week plus get bits floating in water. Contacted House where I bought it online and they took awhile to get back to me with an answer from Breville to descal it. Ru kidding me!!! In a week after I got it. What an absolute joke! Have cleaned it and you can not get rid of rust plus still get bits floating in water and surely it's not good to drink. Not happy at all!!

Jacob
JacobGold coast5 posts

Works Well

Owned for Six months , Started to get a build up on the element and become noisy

I read the instructions and purchased the Breville Kettle cleaner which brought the

Kettle back to perfect working condition. Very happy with the Kettlles appearance and ease of cleaning

and speed of boil.

UsandMe
UsandMeToowoomba6 posts
Frank&Estelle
Frank&EstelleNSWHunter Region, NSW5 posts

Piece of junk

Lid opens upon boiling and sometimes wont stop boiling.

The top of the kettle flexes causing the lid to pop open when lifting up

This in dangerous these should be recalled

I have always trusted Breville products until now, never again

I have contacted ACCC, product safety Australia

Their product testing and design is flawed.

Micha
MichaBrisbane

Condensation in the kettle

I bought my kettle from the Good Guys 2 days ago Sat 27/10/18 . Owned one before and loved it. However, the condensation in the new one has started right from the first boil & hasn't disappeared. Not a nice look for a brand new purchase. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Pierre
PierreQLDNorth Queensland, QLD6 posts

Best kettle ever

Lasts and lasts all other kettles I have purchased leak or stop.

Easy to fill, can see water level, auto switch off.

Have had for many years and was happy with performance so bought another but has lasted so long haven't needed to use it. Great product May never as I am Seventy.

goodgrief
goodgriefAU10 posts
Suz
Suz

Faulty spout?

We've had the kettle about 2 years and it works great but when it comes to pouring the water, it tends to leak down the sides of the kettle. Has been like that since the day we unpackaged it, but its more of a hazard now that we have kids using it too.

Review Queen
Review QueenSydney35 posts
  BKE480
ninkasi
ninkasiMelbourne77 posts
AF_FL
AF_FL
  Verified BKE595

Lid pops open during boiling water

Unfortunately short after the warranty expired the lid start to open while I was boiling water. Because of that the pot will not turn off. I did not try to see if it will boil all the water out and bun down but it is very dangerous. You will also burn your hand trying to close the lid. Unusable at this point. I puled out my 5 year old Oster from the close and it still works. Product not worth the money. It sounds like a recall since lots of people have the same issue.

Angry Anderson
Angry AndersonBrisbane

Terrible

Worked for two weeks until lid became fused shut somehow, after a quick Google I discovered this was very common with the model. Disappointed as this is the most expensive kettle I have ever bought. I would not recommend this kettle at all, I'm hoping on getting a full refund.

TPA
TPAVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC9 posts

Lasted 4 years, good kettle

Had a good innings with this kettle - 4 years. Towards the end it became very noisy and had trouble with the lid not opening automatically so has been replaced. It needs regular descaling to remove discolouration on the heating element/base, as with all clear kettles on the market. A soak in water/vinegar and a wipe does the trick. It has a great 7 cup capacity, but be aware that it is pretty heavy to lift/pour at full capacity. Although I liked this kettle I have replaced it with a Sunbeam Maestro clear kettle this time, which is same capacity, slightly lighter, less expensive and easier to fill (with wider lid opening).

Miffed
MiffedSouth Australia3 posts
  Verified BKE595

Lid keeps opening when boiling

Bought a BKE595. Two months after purchase, the lid started opening whilst the kettle was still boiling. I took back the HN's and was given a replacement one. Have just trashed the replacement one as we had the same problem with the lid opening whilst in operation, and found this potentially dangerous. Very disappointed with Breville, and would be very reluctant to purchase the brand again. Breville obviously not interested, only interested in sales.

KW Chan
KW ChanNSWSydney, NSW21 posts

Cool looking transparent kettle

Looks cool and very visible. Find it useful to be visible so that I know when the boiler is dirty and needs cleaning or descaling. The on/off switch has an indicator light. There is a storage for the power cable too. Used it for a day and loved it. Hope it will last.

Jane Wiles
Jane WilesVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC4 posts
  Verified BKE595

Permanent condensation on inside glass

I purchased this product because we had a clear glass Breville kettle for many years and were happy with it.

This model however BKE595 has permanent condensation on the inner glass from first use the won't go away and detracts from the clear glass look.

Very disappointed with the product.

I rang Breville and they said it's 'normal' but it never happened with our previous model.

Seriously ask them to demonstrate the model that you want to purchase before buying.

Very disappointed!!!!

Jacky
JackyBrisbane5 posts
  BKE595

Not cheapest, not most expensive

We wanted a glass kettle, and this one does the job. Previously we picked up a cheaper, non-brand from Kmart, that took forever to boil. This one, obviously more expensive, boils in a much shorter time. The extra $$$ is worth it to save myself getting impatient waiting for my cuppa.

Liang
Liang10 posts

Easy to use

This electric kettle has a large capacity and a very simple appearance. It is easy to use and easy to clean. Glass body is BPA free so is good for health. It should be noted that water must not be filled too much when boiling water.It can be very heavy when filled with water and may not be suitable for girls.

Tony
TonyTASLaunceston, TAS45 posts
  Verified BKE595

Nice looking kettle, but broke down within a year, poor quality

It was a nice looking kettle, and I have used it for a couple months, but I did realise that quality was a bit poor, especially around the seal with the lid, sometimes, it deforms so much so that the lid cannot be closed.

And after 8 or so months, it failed, stopped powering on, which I then brought back to Harvey Normal Melbourne QV, and they happily refunded it and I replaced with another model one, much better choice I had to say.

consumer007
consumer007Sydney14 posts

Great looking Kettle. Nice addition to our home

Excellent looking Kettle. Nice to watch it boil and fancy look to it. Looks great. Boils water. What else could you want? I've heard you need to clean these with vinegar but haven't had any issues so far. Looks great if you have a nice kitchen i suppose. Does what any kettle does.

Neil
NeilWAPerth, WA13 posts
Chris
ChrisPerth2 posts

Disgusting service from Breville

Bought new BKE595 for Christmas present to house. Used 3 times then glass cracked and kettle leaked. Phoned through to Breville Australia to ask about 12 month replacement guarantee, was told Breville don't cover the glass so basically not interested in listening further. So that's it a GLASS kettle that is not covered by Breville guarantee or warranty. I would not recommend any Breville product after this experience.

Breville
Breville   DM

Hi Chris, although we don't manufacture a replacement glass carafe that certainly does not mean there are no options. We should have taken care of this without hesitation and I'd like to do just that, will be sending a direct message shortly.

MB_PR
MB_PRAU25 posts
  BKE595

Looks nice, but functionally not great

This kettle (BK595) looks really good, but the heating element causes the bottom plate to scale up quickly and this looks unsightly. The boil sensor must be poorly placed as sometimes it boils for 30-90 seconds before it switches off. Now, after a little over 2 years, the lid opener has broken internally, so it can't be opened now - and the screws holding it together can only be accessed when the lid is open, so it's non-repairable.

So, while I liked the idea of a glass kettle, rather than plastic which flakes after time, getting only 2 years out of this is very disappointing - though probably all that can be expected these days.

Josh
Josh
  BKE595

Boiling doesn't always shut off

As others have said, this can have issues and keep boiling and not shut off. I've stopped using the product due to my predicted disaster of someone getting burnt or this appliance boiling dry. I'm surprised, given the other reviews a recall hasn't been initiated. Stay well clear of this.

Leigh
LeighVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC73 posts
Rachel Z
Rachel ZAU5 posts

good quality

bought this kettle as the lid of our last kettle fell off after less than 1yr use,love the soft open lid of this one,and the design looks good too,however there's water mark down the bottom after use it a few times but i think it's the common problem of all kettles,just need descaling regularly

ShoppersChoice
ShoppersChoice9 posts

Love it

Love the fact that I can see inside for any FBs but never been a problem. And looks awesome while boiling. I sometimes want to add water and the lid will not open when its hot. Must be a safety function but I can add water through the spout. Great XMas gift,

nic
nic9 posts

I returned it

The lid pops open at random times during boils cycle. The glass is nice but unless you can ensure stains don't build up on base plate you will get a beautiful view of stained metal. It is quite expensive compared with other similar glass kettles which don't have a track record of problems like this model. I think under consumer law Breville should have stopped selling these until the issue is fixed, it is not dangerous but there is clear trend of faults in this line.

Sam
SamTASLaunceston, TAS11 posts

Not entirely convinced

I bought this kettle about 2 months ago. It boils quite quickly and quietly, and is and attractive addition to my kitchen bench.

However, there are a few shortcomings with this model. The auto-off switch doesn't cut out when the kettle is remove from the base (meaning the kettle will resume boiling once re-docked). The single-walled glass and stainless steel body can get very hot to touch when in use, and are a magnet for airborne grime and fingerprints.

Unfortunately, I have had a couple of incidents of the flip lid popping open by itself when in use that others have reported on here. When this happens, the kettle auto-off doesn't work, and the kettle could potentially boil dry if unsupervised.

Uschi
Uschi
  BKE595

Lid opens while in process of boiling water

Only have kettle Breville Bke595 about four weeks and already problems with lid popping up while kettle is heating up the water. Boiling process takes longer because of it- No good.

Good looking kettle- like the fact you can see the water boiling.

Wish I had read comments on product review before my purchase!

Fong
FongWAPerth, WA15 posts

Quick but loud

It's nice and does boil the water really quick. It's probably because of that, it is really loud, which is the annoying part. The slow opening is nice, but I felt that the water would spill if it is filled to the max. I always try to avoid filling it to the max.

Nutcracka
NutcrackaHeyfield5 posts
  BKE595

Lid keeps opening while boiling

Very nice kettle to look at but after about 1 month of use the lid opens every time when it starts boiling. Going by the number of comments on here about this issue I would have thought that Breville may have issued a notice about it and offered refunds. It takes an average amount of time to boil water so that's not a real issue but that lid needs to be fixed otherwise I really would not recommend this product.

BhanoR
BhanoR

Disappointed

I bought this kettle yesterday. Was very excited to get it because of the reviews and we have other Brebelle appliances. The kettle steams up inside and does not get clear after boiling. Does not look attractive. Any suggestions on how to prevent the steam from accumulating? I would really like to keep it however if there is no solution, I'll return it.

DGD
DGDBrisbane6 posts

Pain in the backside

I do like this kettle, but it is very slow to boil sometimes and and absolute pain to keep cleaning. I would still get it again as I had a shock with finding a dead cockroach in my friends kettle (ew!) and now cant use anything I dont see. I just wish it boiled a bit faster.

Nicole
NicolePerth2 posts
  BKE595

This is a great product . It looks attractive and boils quickly and efficiently. It has a large capacity and is easy to use. We have read reviews saying that sometimes the handle separates from the jug but we have seen no sign of that yet. We would recommend it.

PriNSWSydney, NSW47 posts
Jono
JonoNSWSydney, NSW5 posts

Beautiful design, terrible quality

We bought this lovely looking kettle and after 3 months lid would not stay closed to to handle pulling away from jug. Meyer replaced, but now we have the same issue. I glued the handle back but the lightweight plastic of the lid mechanism is cracked and so the lid won't stay closed. Shame as the rest of the (functionally useless) kettle is great.

Jess
JessMelbourne2 posts

Disappointed

Purchased this less than 6 months ago and the lid won't close properly. It first started popping open by itself when it had boiled, making me think I hadn't closed it. Then it started opening while I was pouring the water into my teapot, nearly burning my hand with the steam. Now it doesn't shut at all. Unfortunately we threw the receipt away just prior to Christmas. Would love a refund or just a better model...

Extra Information