Breville The Smart Kettle BKE825CRN
Part of Breville The Smart Kettle  2.2 (156)

Breville The Smart Kettle BKE825CRN

VerifiedMPN:BKE825CRN
2.4

33 reviews · Statistics

24% · 822 · 67%

Noise Level
See the Best Kettles in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Breville The Smart Kettle › BKE825CRN33 reviews
Taylor
TaylorSydney2 posts
  BKE825CRN

Poor quality - avoid this product

The kettle completely fell apart after 5 years of use, which is not something we would expect from a premium product. The lid completely came off after cracks appeared in the plastic. While outside of the warrantee period, I would have expected Breville to replace, given the nature of the materials failing. However, they said it was just wear and tear, and that they would not replace it. The best they could do was $110 (30% off typical retail price for a new one). We'll just wait for a sale and get another one that doesn't have known defects. Show details
Janine N
Janine N2 posts
Claire V
Claire VVICGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC4 posts
  Verified BKE825CRN

Worked for a few years then all the problems cropped up

This was a great kettle for 3 years and then it started going haywire. It will suddenly start beeping a ton until you go and move it on its base a bit. It won’t start and then you have to switch it off at the wall and it will work again. Those things were annoying but we could live with it. Then it started randomly turning off mid-boil which was more of a problem. Finally it has started to boil endlessly and that’s just dangerous. So it’s going to have to go and I definitely won’t get a Breville to replace it because for $120 I expect more than 3 years out of a kettle.

Rob W.
Rob W.
  BKE825CRN

Works fine! Just rotate it on its base to keep the sensor contacts clean

We had all the same frustrations expressed here until I listened to my wife and applied my electrical engineering design experience to the problem.
It is well known that metal contacts carrying very low currents will oxidize or build up resistance. I believe this is what is happening to the temperature sensor contacts in the base of the Breville kettle. I cleaned the Base contacts and bingo, no more problems for several months. Repeat, clean & fixed again.
We now habitually rotate the jug on its base every time we use it and have no more problems. NB unplug the base before doing anything to it, some contacts are live at 240v.
PS cleaning water scale off the bottom of the jug reduced the noise level too. Show details
Monique C
Monique CVICSouthwest, VIC20 posts
  BKE825CRN

If only you could give 0 stars!

If there was ever a time to invoke Derryn Hinch, it’s for this kettle- shame!!! This was my second one to replace the previous one which stopped working and after a less than easy return process with Breville (think walking over broken glass), this one has lasted - 6 months:(

This has to be the most overpriced, useless piece of junk I have bought ever! Will not be going back for a third - have chucked it in the bin and will go with another brand...

Delboy
Delboy
  BKE825CRN

Same old faulty overpriced machine

Died just after two years. The world's most over priced piece of junk. Started to fail with random beepings till finally permanently packed up just outside warranty. If only we had read these reviews before buying it. Five words : AVOID AT ALL COSTS and you simply can't go wrong buying any other product than Breville. First time I have had a kettle die on me, and an unbelievably pricey one too.

zmaster
zmaster

Died 6 months past warranty

Was working fine then stopped boiling, after 18 months, seems to be the element as smart base thinks its boiling. Shame such a pricey kettle is a gimmick. Purchased the smart toaster, started failing 3 months out of warranty, think we will go back to sunbeam. The laws here seem to promote dodgy products, 12 months minimum warranty is a joke. I could make appliances out of paper mache that last longer than the minimum 12 months.

Mushi
Mushi
  BKE825CRN

After 2 years it starts to turn on and off better off to purchase a cheaper one that can last

Not reliable but looks great it works till recently it turns on and off and beeps every now and then , it can be a bit noisy , for a lot cheaper kettle you have a lot more options , hope Breville will improve the kettle and increase the warranty.

Sharon E
Sharon ECleveland5 posts
Joanne
JoanneLaunceston5 posts
  BKE825CRN

The "Smart Kettle" isn't very "Smart"!

Purchased Breville's "Smart Kettle" in 2016. Until about six weeks ago it worked like a dream, but then it started cutting out during mid-boil, and then it started cutting out just as I pressed the appropriate buttons to commence boiling. Now it just won't work at all! Fortunately it's under a 2 year replacement guarantee, so I'll be handed a new "Smart Kettle", however, for something that cost me $169.00, one would like to think that it would have lasted longer than 16 months!

J man
J man11 posts

Good Kettle

Only had this kettle a short while and alot of people appear to have had problems with it,

I use it daily and am yet to have a problem it boil quickly and fairly quitely for me, the buttons a re clear and its easy to pour.

Hopefully mine will last the distance.

Paul J
Paul JNSWHunter Region, NSW5 posts

Reliable for almost 3 years

Our kettle has been used daily for almost three years before it started cutting out whilst boiling. I found that by rotating the jug to a different position on the base it will restart but will cut out again. By trial and error I have usually found a position where it will complete the boil.

To me this indicates wear in the contacts on the bottom of the jug and in the base. There might be some light corrosion or dirt causing poor contact between jug and base. Clean them with very light wet and dry used dry. (1000 grade or finer and don't be heavy handed). It might work, it might not. Worth a try and alternate positions on the base while boiling can definitely work.

Laura
Lauracanberra4 posts
  Verified BKE825CRN

Avoid! Full of manufacture issues and terrible customer service

The Smart Kettle Cranberry should have been recalled with the amount of manufacture issues it has. It seems to be normal for the lid to break off and normal for it to stop and start boiling or just continuing boiling. My kettle enjoyed the first two within a year. This stings when it's supposedly a high end kettle. Breville will deny that they've received many complaints about this model. After the warranty ends, Breville will try and sell you expensive replacement parts and assure you that they will send this 'rare' occurrence to their engineering team and call you if they need any more information. So for $135, its a rather expensive and dysfunctional vase.

Ben
BenQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts

Avoid. Has a safety issue. Won't stop boiling

We have lived with this kettle's personality disorders for sometime. It turns off unexpectedly or won't start sometimes. But now we have kids we are concerned about its continuous boiling, that occurs randomly. We have to watch it like a hawk and manually turn if off much of the time; so it doesn't dry-boil and burn the house down... I thought it was just my kettle but it appears the batch or model has a design flaw to say the least. Breville used to be a good brand. Poor value for money - this cost me over $150! I have seen $40 kettles perform better.

Chucky110
Chucky110AustraliaVictoria33 posts

Perfect

Never had an issue with this kettle. Bought it the same time as the toaster about 5 years ago & it works like a charm. No issues with any cut outs or lid not sealing. Well worth the purchase. Also the whole base being the part that boils and no element is easier to clean but being stainless steel never really needs to.