8Breville The Smart Kettle

Breville The Smart Kettle (page 2)

2.2

156 reviews · Statistics

23% · 36108 · 69%
Noise Level
Best Kettles
See the Best Kettles in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Breville The Smart Kettle156 reviews
Disappointed
DisappointedNSWSydney, NSW3 posts
  BKE825BSS

Go for a basic kettle or use the stove. Does not perform for the purpose it was built

This kettle is very temperamental, it works sometimes. On black tea it boils furiously lid popping up, steam every where. Other times it then stops after 3 seconds. Have to pull out the cord, change settings for it to work. Making tea everyday is an adventure.

Breville you're giving yourself a bad name. People will wake up one day and stop using appliances if they are only built only to be replaced.

Mel
MelCoffs Harbour
  BKE825BSS

Great when it works but stopped working after a day

Got the kettle home and had a few cups of tea at the various settings and perfect! The following day went to make a coffee and it was lukewarm. It keeps turning itself off before it even gets hot! Have to take it back to try and return under warranty, not happy!

Steve S
Steve SVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC9 posts
  BKE825ICE

Best kettle we have owned

Excellent to be able to select desired temperature.

80 degrees for green tea is perfect doesn't burn the tea which gives a bitter tea.

The keep warm feature is also great.

Can't flaw it, it's perfect for what we want, would never go back to a dumb kettle after this.

I was tossed up between this and the sunbeam smart one with a digital display which i thought was great but the quality of the breville just won hands down and we ended up getting a cool ice blue variant only available at harvey norman - https://www.harveynorman.com.au/breville-the-smart-kettle-ice.html

Redline
RedlineVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC13 posts
  BKE825BKS

Very bad kettle I have ever used

Pick this up On special due to my old one being quite old I was happy with the look and the way blends into my Kitchen. after one year the kettle has died I will not purchase the same and look into different brands stay away. One of the Worst

Delboy
Delboy
  BKE825CRN

Same old faulty overpriced machine

Died just after two years. The world's most over priced piece of junk. Started to fail with random beepings till finally permanently packed up just outside warranty. If only we had read these reviews before buying it. Five words : AVOID AT ALL COSTS and you simply can't go wrong buying any other product than Breville. First time I have had a kettle die on me, and an unbelievably pricey one too.

Brad D
Brad D
  BKE825BSS

Fails to work after about 2-3 years regular household use. Disappointing for such an expensive kettl

Save your money by not buying this kettle! Fails to work after about 2-3 years regular household use. (Disappointing for such an expensive kettle.) We have had two of these "Smart" Kettles and found that after a while the temperature mechanism or thermostat fails to boil at the specified temperature, then over-boils at 100 degrees, then fails to boil at 100 degrees selection, then finally fails to boil at any temperature setting. We suspect there is a fault (not covered by warranty) in the "Smart" base, but I frankly expect more reliability from a simple household electronic appliance. Engineered to fail regularly and predictably??

zmaster
zmaster

Died 6 months past warranty

Was working fine then stopped boiling, after 18 months, seems to be the element as smart base thinks its boiling. Shame such a pricey kettle is a gimmick. Purchased the smart toaster, started failing 3 months out of warranty, think we will go back to sunbeam. The laws here seem to promote dodgy products, 12 months minimum warranty is a joke. I could make appliances out of paper mache that last longer than the minimum 12 months.

thedriver
thedriverAustralian Capital Territory27 posts
  Verified BKE825BSS
Mushi
Mushi
  BKE825CRN

After 2 years it starts to turn on and off better off to purchase a cheaper one that can last

Not reliable but looks great it works till recently it turns on and off and beeps every now and then , it can be a bit noisy , for a lot cheaper kettle you have a lot more options , hope Breville will improve the kettle and increase the warranty.

Annabel
AnnabelQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD16 posts

Noisy

Has been a good kettle for a number of years. Sometimes it doesn’t shut off so can’t go out of earshot. However that’s no problem as it is very very rowdy even tho I desacale it regularly. My next kettle must be quieter. It still looks good on the bench and the brushed steel is easy to clean.

Francie7376
Francie7376VICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC58 posts
  BKE825BSS

It was great before it didn't work anymore

My kettle made it to the 2-year mark before it had issues where it would stop boiling midway through so I had to keep pressing START to finish the boil. I held onto it for another year but by then it kept turning off, would only boil if it was kept in the one position (if it was off it would not work) and would boil until the water nearly exploded out of it. I am just about to use my extended warranty to get it replaced. What surprises me is that the kettle has since gone up in price even though there are a number of complaints about it. Maybe Breville should place customer satisfaction before profits!

ben
benNSWSydney, NSW6 posts

electrical fault, crap machine

machine kept turning on and off, making beeping sounds, worst machine ever. $15 kettle from kmart works a million times better. Embarrassing for Breville and if they make crap machines like this, what is it saying about their business.

VINNIES
VINNIESQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD16 posts

Kettle that just Rust

The only thing I found wrong with This model it always rust after 4 months of use, I had it replaced under warranty, but it still rust on the top under the lid where it has been bend to support the lid, it might be because when they stretch the stainless steel it does not get treated.

Sharon E
Sharon ECleveland5 posts
Joanne
JoanneLaunceston5 posts
  BKE825CRN

The "Smart Kettle" isn't very "Smart"!

Purchased Breville's "Smart Kettle" in 2016. Until about six weeks ago it worked like a dream, but then it started cutting out during mid-boil, and then it started cutting out just as I pressed the appropriate buttons to commence boiling. Now it just won't work at all! Fortunately it's under a 2 year replacement guarantee, so I'll be handed a new "Smart Kettle", however, for something that cost me $169.00, one would like to think that it would have lasted longer than 16 months!

Maggie3029
Maggie3029VICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC159 posts
  Verified BKE825BSS

J man
J man11 posts

Good Kettle

Only had this kettle a short while and alot of people appear to have had problems with it,

I use it daily and am yet to have a problem it boil quickly and fairly quitely for me, the buttons a re clear and its easy to pour.

Hopefully mine will last the distance.

Paul J
Paul JNSWHunter Region, NSW5 posts

Reliable for almost 3 years

Our kettle has been used daily for almost three years before it started cutting out whilst boiling. I found that by rotating the jug to a different position on the base it will restart but will cut out again. By trial and error I have usually found a position where it will complete the boil.

To me this indicates wear in the contacts on the bottom of the jug and in the base. There might be some light corrosion or dirt causing poor contact between jug and base. Clean them with very light wet and dry used dry. (1000 grade or finer and don't be heavy handed). It might work, it might not. Worth a try and alternate positions on the base while boiling can definitely work.

erin
erinQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD16 posts
  BKE825BSS

Loved this kettle than it broke

I’ve only had the kettle less than 2 Years and I loved it however now I have to press the boil button multiple times as it stops boiling on any setting or it will randomly just beep when no one is using it . Such a shame I have high hopes for the smart kettle

MK22
MK22NSWSydney, NSW12 posts
  BKE825BSS

The most useless yet expensive kettle ever. Shame on you Breville

For a kettle that is up to $150 this is disgraceful and I cannot believe Breville has STILL not sorted the issues out. We had the former model in the BKE820 and had it exchanged for the new one for the exact same problems. It doesnt stop boiling. You may aswell put a pot of water on the oven and control it that way. The most basic job it must do, it can hardly do. If you dont stop it yourself it will steam up your kitchen. It also turns off by itself at times after a minute of turning it on. Our spare $10 kettle works a dream for years compared to this.

Tea4_2
Tea4_2

Lasted 9 months !!!

Enjoyed this kettle for a short 9 months . It now has a mind of its own and will turn itself off 5 secs after being switched on. Now having to boil water for my cuppa on the stove. Won't be buying Breville again.. a real shame as have enjoyed being able to select varying temperatures for green or black tea etc

Sue
SueVICSouthwest, VIC8 posts

Short working life

Worked well for 18 months then stopped working, replaced by store under warranty. Hopefully this one will last at least 18 months as apparently the second one is only covered till the end of the original 2 year warranty. April 2018. Loved this till the day it stopped working. Disappointing short life.

James
JamesNSWSydney, NSW12 posts
  Verified The Smart Kettle

Broke after 3 years

A kettle with a nice design, colours and features. Always a bit on the slow side.

After exactly 3 years to the date of purchase, the kettle stopped working.

Once the water reached boiling point, the kettle just continued boiling, never stopping. Something wrong with the temperature gauge, which was never as precise as it should have been.

A shame that Breville products no longer last.

Stephanie
StephanieVICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC14 posts

LOVE IT

I absolutely love this kettle, have had it for a couple of years now and I love that you can choose the temp so you don't have to wait for 30 mins for your green tea to be at drinking temperature, it's easy to clean and looks great. I highly recommend it!

Laura
Lauracanberra4 posts
  Verified BKE825CRN

Avoid! Full of manufacture issues and terrible customer service

The Smart Kettle Cranberry should have been recalled with the amount of manufacture issues it has. It seems to be normal for the lid to break off and normal for it to stop and start boiling or just continuing boiling. My kettle enjoyed the first two within a year. This stings when it's supposedly a high end kettle. Breville will deny that they've received many complaints about this model. After the warranty ends, Breville will try and sell you expensive replacement parts and assure you that they will send this 'rare' occurrence to their engineering team and call you if they need any more information. So for $135, its a rather expensive and dysfunctional vase.

bounced
bounced13 posts

Totally crap - after 1 year

I am about to take this kettle back as for the last 6 months it has been turning on and off all by itself once I press the boil @ 100 degrees option - and the other temp as well.

Don't bother - i think these fancy - but still inexpensive kettle with bells and whistles just don't go the distance.

linoliv
linoliv33 posts

Perfect, no complaints

I've had this kettle for years and years (guessed the year of purchase), and have had no problems with it. My daughter likes green tea, I like white tea and my husband likes black tea, so we all choose the appropriate setting. Don't often use it, but the keep warm function is handy too. Quick to come to the boil.

Ben
BenQLDSouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts

Avoid. Has a safety issue. Won't stop boiling

We have lived with this kettle's personality disorders for sometime. It turns off unexpectedly or won't start sometimes. But now we have kids we are concerned about its continuous boiling, that occurs randomly. We have to watch it like a hawk and manually turn if off much of the time; so it doesn't dry-boil and burn the house down... I thought it was just my kettle but it appears the batch or model has a design flaw to say the least. Breville used to be a good brand. Poor value for money - this cost me over $150! I have seen $40 kettles perform better.

Bubbly
BubblyVICGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC27 posts

Love it!!!

This kettle is really easy to use. I love, love, love it!!! I love the temperature control but the keep warm function is by far one of the best things invented. I use this function daily. The kettle it's self looks really nice, smooth opening and closing lid, great water capacity (7cups) and gentle beep at completion of boil. Highly reccomend.

JudE
JudEVICGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC2 posts
  BKE825BKS

Hopeless expensive annoying

2014 bought - Soft closing lid didn't hold closed upon boiling - gave me a nasty burn; was replaced with new firmer closing design. Now 2 years on it doesn't switch off on boiling and doesn't necessarily remain on after switched on so return a few minutes later and no hot water. Annoying -$130 and not even 2 reliable years from each unit. Will avoid Breville from hereon in.

mstrobel
mstrobelDarwin3 posts

Last for long time

I bought this kettle years ago and used everyday! Never had any problem . Easy to clean and boil water quick. It's a good kettle compare to other cheaper kettle that might only last a couple of month. It's looks a bit old now but still function properly. Happy with the product

Chucky110
Chucky110AustraliaVictoria33 posts

Perfect

Never had an issue with this kettle. Bought it the same time as the toaster about 5 years ago & it works like a charm. No issues with any cut outs or lid not sealing. Well worth the purchase. Also the whole base being the part that boils and no element is easier to clean but being stainless steel never really needs to.

Shezzie
ShezzieNSWMid North Coast, NSW20 posts
  Verified BKE825SH
Kapinka
KapinkaBrisbane30 posts

Overpriced glitchy appliance

Was given this as a gift, was awesome at the start until the temperature buttons started to choose their own settings, it wouldn't switch off at all before returning it to Myer who were happy to refund purchase. If it actually worked I would get one, great concept, it just doesn't work. Maybe it's just me, never seem to have much luck with kettles, maybe I should go for a cheapy instead, more $$$ doesn't necessarily mean it performs better.

Jason
Jason5113South Australia, 51139 posts
  Verified BKE825BKS

Like an arcade game you just want to smash!

Turns itself off immediately thinking its at the temperature set when its plain cold tap water. Can take 10+ attempts just to get the water to boil. Can't walk away or trust it or you'll have cold drinks. Like an arcade game you just want to smash!

Our 3rd Breville kettle that has become faulty in a short time. Technology just ruins service life!

Shadowfats
ShadowfatsSydney

Kirsten
KirstenNSWSydney, NSW3 posts

So annoying!!

Loves to intermittently turn off and continue to boil! The most annoying thing is actually getting it to start. I usually havering press the start button several times before it'll work! It's not a smart kettle as the kids like to say, it's a dumb kettle! For the price it's an appalling piece of equipment.

JulesG
JulesG

Critical Design Fault

The clear lid is bonded on to the opening mechanism. After two years or so this bond fails after long term exposure to heat. It is impossible to glue (have tried) as no bonding agent available. Breville do not repair and the guarantee will have expired by the time it fails. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Andrea
Andrea2 posts

The perfect Kettle!

I'm a tea lover! and, nothing beats this kettle..! Love it!!!! I get to select from a range of temperatures to boil my water so that I can brew my tea at the right temperature! :) It is super convenient.. Love the design and look of it too. Simple and Nice.

Valmorph