Breville Smart Temp BSC420

Breville Smart Temp BSC420 Questions & Answers

MPN: BSC420

11 questions from our users

Can this slow cooker be pre set to start?
No, it cannot.

I just purchased this slow cooker last week and today finally had the chance to try a meal in it. It made a sort of a loud noise a bit like a cracking noise and all LEDs lit with the timer countdown replaced by ‘C1’. It’s super hot to touch on the handles and smells faintly of plastic. The food inside doesn’t smell though which is great. What does this error message mean, Breville? Do I take it back or contact you since it’s under warranty?
Hi there, Did you find out what the problem was by any chance. I had the same issue. Thank you

Have used this slower cooker only a couple of times and each time noticed a strange smell coming from the main unit (not the ceramic bowl) - a faint plasticky smell. I wiped the inside of the unit multiple times. It is definitely free on any factory greases or oils. Perfectly clean, no debris. What is causing the smell and will it go away with use? Most importantly, is the food safe to eat as the fumes would have gone into the food.
I would take it back, mine never had smell to it.

My slow cooker has not been used very much and yet the base appears to be melting?!? Not very impressed with they quality - anyone else had this problem?
Hi Mandy I always place mine on a timber bread board when in use & I have used my slow cooker a lot and have never had this problem. Sorry I can't offer any solutions

I live in Port Macquarie, NSW. Is there a shop locally I can purchase this product?
Hi I brought mine from Target but I think you could also get it from the good guys

What are the temperature ranges for each setting on the SmartTemp?? (Low, Med, High, Warm) I have found that the HIGH on my SmartTemp cooks thing much too quickly and has come to a boil a couple of times! This has ruined a few recent meat dishes. I would like to try making some yoghurt but I am worried it's LOW or even the warm setting may be too hot. Thanks in advance.
Hi Tiernan81 - please call customer service to discuss in more detail - Mon to Fri 1300 139 798. Thanks, the Breville team

Our slow cooker was purchased in Nov 2013 and like the first two reviews above, we have noticed the LED lights are beginning to fail (2 so far). Will Breville fix this without charge given that it is only a few months out of warranty and obviously not an isolated incident? If not, I would be reluctant to purchase further Breville products (of which we have purchased many over the years and otherwise been happy with).
I had absolutely no luck with Breville. They didn't want to know said they would give me a discount on a new one!! I have since bought a new one and its definitely not Breville ;-)We are sorry to hear about your concern with the BSC420 Slow Cooker. Can you please contact our Customer Service Team on 1300 139 798 to discuss further - Thanks the Breville TeamI am having the same problem with the digital display, just over a year out :( Very unhappy, and will find another slow cooker that is not a Breville, as many others seem to be having the same issue.

I just bought my breville smart temp today and cooked massaman curry in 5 1/2 hours. When I washed the crock pot I noticed paler whitish marks that I thought were stuck on food, but it turns out that it's the enamel coming off the crackpot. Is this normal??
I dont think it is the enamel comminh off. More likely staininh as the pot is porcelain and porus. Mine does exactly the same thing.That is correct - the enamel layer does not normally come off. To know exactly what the whitish marks are, it would be helpful if you could send through a few close-shot photos of the marks to food.thinkers@breville.com.au.I have a similar issue, I bought it last week and have cooked the massaman curry and also have a cloudy look to the ceramic surface around the sides in some areas only. What could this be?

Is this slow cooker suitable to cook pavlovas, cakes and scrolls in?
I don't think so, more for stews and casseroles..This slow cooker is not suitable for pavlovas but you can cook puddings and some steamed cakes and scrolls It will depend on the recipe

Am worried about the ceramic bowl cracking... has anyone found a slow cooker that doesn't do this? Im seeing a lot of reviews of all different brands and they're all cracking...
I've used a ceramic one for years and never had any problems with it.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives