Breville the Compact Kettle Clear BKE395CLR

MPN: BKE395

6 questions from our users

murphy's law

murphy's lawasked

I've had this great little kettle for 7 years.There is a s/s tube inside the glass area, between the element and the handle, there is a very slight movement by the tube when I clean inside; is this a problem...?

Spotmeasked

Does is actually have any plastic part on the inside that gets in in contact with water?
Can you refill right after using it to boil a few cups or you have to wait for it to cool down because of the glass element and if so, how long do you have to wait?

wannabuynow
wannabuynow

No plastic inside. Element is under the base. Can refill immediately.

Thank you!

Libby

Libbyasked

We are getting a metallic taste from the water in this kettle. Have had it for about two weeks. A residue gathers in the bottom of the kettle. Please advise, it is disappointing

John

Hi Libby, try boiling some vinegar in the kettle.

Eileen E

Eileen Easked

Glass section of lid has developed numerous fairly large cracks. Can a replacement lid be obtained and fitted to this otherwise excellent product.

Hi Eileen,

Try this link.

Reg Watson

Reg Watsonasked

Has anyone else bought this kettle and after a few weeks finding that tea now has a funny taste ? I use bottle water so this shouldn't be the cause an have tried different brands of bottled water too.I have tried white vinegar and bicarb to clean it with and whilst it removed the small amount of scale from the base plate the taste returned after two boils. I note many people complaining about this issue with earlier model Brevilles and other kettles a couple of years ago but it doesn't seem to have been solved as far as my kettle is concerned.

Robert M
Robert M

I use Adelaide water, not known for its quality, and have not had problems. We do scrub the inner base every month or so with Gumption Multi Purpose Cleanser. I let the tap water stand for a day or so in empty 2 litre milk containers to let the chlorine and other smells dissipate. We have had no problems at all. It is very possibly the water you are using, notwithstanding you use bottled water. I never use bottled water. I want the fluoride and trust the tap water to be hygienic more than bottled water. Hope this helps.

stevoasked

Bought the BKE395 at christmas, just got it out the box 4 days ago and I'm already finding the base getting dirty and the water looks murky which isnt a good look for a clear kettle. We do use rainwater, could this be the cause? Thanks Nicole

Roben
Roben

Hi, Nicole. We use tap water and the base does become dirty after a while as it has with any other kettle we have had. We just use a minuscule amount of Gumption multi-purpose cleanser on a cloth to clean it every 2 months or so. Unlike some other kettles the base of this Breville is easy to get at. To check if it's the rainwater causing the murky appearance you could fill a clear container of roughly the same size as the kettle and compare what you see. It is best to have a similar size container since looking through a greater or lesser distance will mean there is more or less of any suspended particles in your line of sight. Our Adelaide tap water looks crystal clear even when the base is a bit discoloured. Rain water from a roof can vary depending on weather conditions, number of dead rats, bird droppings, how dusty the air has been etc. We like the treated and fluoridated water. Hope this helps.

trueblueaussie61
trueblueaussie61

Hello Nicole
I'm on main water in country Victoria & we have never had any issues with the water. My Breville BKE395 kettle is fabulous. Domestic cleaners from the supermarket, hardware stores etc., have chemicals in them & get washed out to sea & poison our marine life pollute our waterways. PLEASE NOTE: the only things I use to clean my home & household appliances is vinegar, bi-carb of soda, baking powder & lemon juice. From top to bottom including the bathroom, toilets, countertops, floors etc. They are chemical-free & safe to use. **Household Cleansers like Jif, White Lily, Gumption etc., have bleach & other harmful chemicals in them & aren't safe to use as you will ingest them. Roben's suggestion to using Gumption inside your kettle is not healthy for you. I threw out every domestic cleaning product years ago, including domestos, White Lily, Spray & Wipe, Mr Muscle etc. All of them cost $$$ & are full of harmful chemicals. All you're doing is keeping the manufacturers rich. Why else would the warning on the label state: use in well ventilated area or use gloves... They are all poisons & then they end up poisoning our marine life.
Regards
The Frugal Queen

Thanks Roben & trueblueaussie61. I will take note of your replies.Nicole

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives