Breville Dynamic Duo BEP920

Best home espresso machine at this pricepoint!

After having worked as a professional barista for a number of years, with numerous different espresso machines, this machine is seriously impressive. The Breville team should be congratulated on incorporating professional features within a home appliance. Featuring a PID controller, this espresso machine allows you to precisely dial your preferred brewing temperature.

Ease of use is similar to other semi-automatic espresso machines (you'll still be required to grind fresh coffee beans, alter grind settings etc.) The water reservoir is able to conveniently filled from the front without removing the water tank. The steam wand is a dream to use, allowing you to texture silky microfoam and pour latte art without any difficulty.

Few minor issues - the design of the drip tray can make it difficult to clean thoroughly, and the supplied milk pitcher is not designed for pouring latte art. The volumetric setting adjustments also don't seem to be very consistent, so it is recommended to use the manual button instead.

The inbuilt backflush cleaning reminder and automation ensure you don't forget to deep clean the machine.

Overall, this is a brilliant machine and should be seriously considered by any espresso enthusiast.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Great coffee

I have had this combo for about 6 months and overall very satisfied. The machine heats very quickly, the grinder is highly adjustable and consistent.
The machine pulls nice shots and consistent. The water reservoir is large enough that it doesn't need constant refilling, it is overall easy enough to keep clean.
Couple of negatives, would prefer if the shots were volume based rather than time based. You need to keep an eye on the shot particularly between fresh beans to ensure the correct shot. I have some trouble at times with 'wet pucks' but this is not a deal breaker.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great Coffee, use it 5 times a day

We had been using the older version of this for 4 years until it started malfunctioning. This newer model seems to have some improvements to avoid the problems of the previous one. So far it has made hundreds of great coffees. Often when going to a new coffee place we get dissapointed that we could have made a better coffee at home.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

A few issues, but when it works it makes great coffee

A great machine when it works. Purchased almost a year ago, and for the most part it works very well. Fairly easy to play with to get a coffee that is your own and tastes great. Grinder is excellent. However in the last few months the coffee machine has had some problems and occassionally did not work on demand. The coffee machine also seems to be getting louder when it pours. Steam wand is good. Hot water comes out slowly.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Feel like a barista at home.

Ive had one of these machines for about six months now and am quite happy with it. It warms up quickly and makes a very nice coffee, you can also make two at once. I like to rince the tray out every couple days so it is never too hard to clean.
My favourite Feature of the machine is the built in wheels which deploy with the turn of a nob, this makes it very easy to move around the bench for cleaning and refilling the water tank if you decide to not use the in built funnel.

As for the grinder, i have not yet used it but it seems to be top quality.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

very good machine.

This is a very good package coffee machine. It is the best one i bought ever. Can not with out it everyday. very good value for what you can get inside the package. Love breville!!!
Easy to clean with the coffee machine cleaning tablet. Hope you enjoy it as well

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Good coffee maker

I got this as a housewarming gift from my brother and I've been using it for almost a year now. It does what it is supposed to do and it is super easy to operate. The only problem I had with this was after about four months when I first got it, something broke. When I had it checked, I was told that it was the seal distributor. After a quick replacement, everything worked perfectly again.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Can’t get a good espresso.

I’m a qualified barista and recently purchased this machine after I moved house. For six months now I have tried so hard to get a good shot - from changing grind size to preinfusion to tamp pressure and still my coffee is undrinkable. I’ve tried several style of beans to ensure it wasn’t the type I was using, and still the same result. Really think for the price you pay for this machine, you can get something so much better. Generally a breville fan, but not when it comes to this machine. Save your money or get something worth the price.

Office coffee machine

Bought this for the office as we all need caffeine at work. 3-4 people using it per day to make coffee. Had to replace the seal distributor after about 6 months. Wasn't too hard to do but it still leaks occasionally.

It's really easy to use which is great for all the non-baristas in the office.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great Machine, great coffee, but regular faults

I previously had the earlier model - BES800 i think and although this was a great machine and made great coffee It needed to be repaired once under warranty and twice thereafter to fix a faulty solenoid valve and pump. At nearly $300 a time this became quite expensive. When it failed a fourth time I decided to buy a new one and take out extended warranty so I now have 2 years manufactured warranty and then a further 4 years extended warranty where they will replace the entire unit if faulty.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Outstanding value and performance

Once dialled in, this combination is capable of producing exceptional quality coffee. The grinder is consistent and the portafilter holder is very convenient. As the machine is a dual-boiler, it allows a shot extraction and milk steaming at the same time.

The machine allows a lot of customisation which is great for perfecting the taste and feel of the coffee. The milk steaming wand is not overly powerful like a commercial machine, but I think that is a good thing as it allows more control. It is also more than capable for texturising milk for latte art.

Many of my friends rave about the coffee that I make and consider it better than a lot of cafes.

Highly recommend.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

It is excellent! Our staff love it!

We replace the old coffee machine with Breville Dynamic Duo BEP920 in our office. Surprisingly, it is user-friendly. Every staff in the office has no complaints or issue operating the machine. It is easy to setup as well. The instructions given are clear. In terms of steaming process, I can steam enough milk for two 220mL cups in about 45-60 seconds. The machine turns off when idle for a couple of hours. No need to sit at the office worrying if we turn the machine off. The machine has a hot water dispenser, I use it to heat up the cup sometime. There's a nice silicon finger ring attached to the steam wand that allows moving it without burning yourself. Overall experience is very good. No complaint!

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Highly Recommended

First of all our purchase wasn't trouble free. Out of the box our unit made a loud continuous pumping noise, no steam (just made a beeping sound) and I couldn't get the pressure above 2bar and the coffee was hopeless. After 1.5 hours of fiddling and turning the unit off/on it decided to behave itself and has worked for several weeks now without fault. I made several calls the customer support, their response was that the unit was DOA and should be returned, and although they were responsive they didn't seem to know their product well and were of very limited help.
We replaced a Gaggia Classic and Breville BCG450 grinder (crap) and the new combination is streets ahead of our old setup. Breville have put a lot of thought into the design and it shows in the result, great coffee!.
My favourite features are the double boiler design ensuring that a strong jet of steam is always available on demand and the heated group head which delivers a rich creamy hot coffee every time.
The units contain a lot of plastic which presumably will become brittle and fail over time.
A suggestion for Breville if they are listening, a slot to store the razor alongside the tamper would be a nice small enhancement.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Fantastic Grinder

The grinder has improved my home made coffee. It allows me to precisely control the fineness of the grind as well as the amount, getting a consistent result every time. The controls allow very fine adjustment to change the quantity as well as how tight the grind is. The bottom tray removes so you can wash it out easily.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Coffee machine of the ages

The Breville is a fantastic buy is has all the bells and whistles you need for great coffee at home. The grinder is perfect for semi automated grind and amount. This is a great combo that's making its way into the top home coffee machines, I have had it now for over a year and is still making great shots!

Date PurchasedMar 2016

This is very beautiful. I bought a red one. It is excellent, easy to use.

I am happy with the taste of the coffee. It is easy to use and you should to buy filters to clean it up when it says you should clean me. I bought a red one. It looks so beautiful. You should buy it with the grander. It matches well.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Perfect for making true specialty coffee at home

This machine is for people who really know how to extract espresso. It has everything you get on the top commercial machines. Having a 58mm basket size, means that you can play around with elements as you would in a cafe.

Has the ability to adjust boiler temperatures for both steam and group head, and having preinfusion settings means that you can play around with pressure profiling too. I personally have this machine at home to experiment with espresso at home.

The steam wand is brilliant. It isn't as strong as commercial grade but the steam is strong and very consistent. You're able to get the best microfoam in your milk with this steam wand for latte art of any level.

The grinder is good, but don't expect grind consistency and heat control like a Robur or Mythos. Griunder does overheat if you're grinding reasonably constantly for 10 minutes, then it stops working.

For just over $1000 new, what this machine gives is brilliant.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Perfect coffee every morning! Better than most cafes

I've been making my own espresso coffee for many years now after doing a barista training course. Last year my sunbeam em6910 died and I replaced it with the breville dynamic duo. It is better in every way. Better pour, much better milk texturing and a lot quieter for when you don't want to wake up the family (although still fairly loud but the sunbeam was very loud)
It hasn't missed a beat and has been very easy to clean and maintain. I would replace it with the same if I ever needed to

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Just love the combo!

Very happy with the dynamic duo although they take up a fair bit of bench space. I was a little worried about operating the machine as it is my first manual machine, however found with a little trial and error I was able to master coffee to my taste relatively quickly! I haven't quite mastered the microfoam on milk texturing but I think I am getting close! The machine is really well made, very solid and all components feel like a premium level product.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Chalk and cheese compared to our old superautomatic

Previously had a Saeco Magic Deluxe, which served us well for many years, but thought I'd try my hand at a manual machine.
Coffee flavour is definitely improved, and because it is a dual boiler I can be texturing the milk while the coffee brews. Cleaning is easy and because there is minimal moving parts I'm hoping it will last a long time.
The bundled grinder also works well, although it tends to clump a bit on the finer grind settings. I just give the grounds a mix with a toothpick to break them up in the portafilter basket.
Looks stylish on the bench, and even lets you set a timer to automatically turn itself on and warm up, ready for your morning cuppa. Still trying to master getting the settings right so that the coffee doesn't blond out too early, but it's all part of the challenge of learning new equipment.