Breville The Oracle BES980

313 questions from our users

Josh V.

Josh V.asked

Hi guys,

I have had my Breville BES980 for 5 years now and love the machine. In the last few months, I have experienced a few issues that I can't seem to solve. The machine was bought in Australia and was sent to me as a wedding gift in France. The machine has been in use only in France

Below are some of the issues I have been facing.

1. My hot water function doesn't run water at all. Hasnt worked for 3 months.
2. When the machine has been on for 10min or so it starts making an extremely loud buzzing sound. This sound also occurs when the machine has been switched off and switched back on before the boliers have cooled down.
3. Steam wand stopped producing steam but is currently back work.
4. Directed by Sage support I was told my issues sound like a scale build up. He instructed me to descale the machine 3 more times to get the best results. Then followed up by saying if all this still doesn't help we can offer you the same machine for a discounted price of 40%.
5. Following the advice for Sage, I descaled the machine 3 more times. During the 5-minute freshwater flush stage, the power cut off. When I turn it back on the machine won't heat up over 70 degrees. I tried restarting the descale cycle again and the LCD screen gave me a VALV error. I turned the machine off overnight and the next day the machine was fully functioned (I didnt pour a coffee though). Then I drained the boilders as I the water inside was from the descaling cycle. During the draining stage, the electricity cut off. Now the machine cuts off my electricity from every PowerPoint/outlet in the house. I will try leaving the machine switched off overnight and see if the automatic reset stage fixes the issue.

Is there customer support for my Breville machine in France? and or Europe? I have contacted Sage in the UK and they initially told me to contact Breville in Australia. If I need the machine serviced, where can I get this done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Josh.

hans m.

hans m.asked

BES980BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

The display shows:'service'. There is no reference in the manual. What does this mean?

kayla F.

kayla F.asked

The Oracle BES980

I am having trouble with the milk wand. When I push the leaver down for auto it works for aprox 5 seconds and then stops as though it is at the desired temperature. When you lift it up for manual the temperature is showing the start temperature as 130 degrees Celsius and continues to go up, which is clearly not correct.
I have tried doing a reset, and have recently cleaned the wand, have looked through the instruction booklet but can't find anything in there to resolve the issue.

Bunimelb

Bunimelbasked

Hi,

having trouble with the oracle. making funny noise and no coffee..(pleaae see youtube vid links).

Wonder if anyone know the problem and whether it is fixable.

j n.

j n.asked

The Oracle BES980

Our machine behaves badly. Occasionally, it will heat up to 93deg without a problem. Frequently, it heats, pours out water, heats, pours out water, heats... and it might take 30 mins to get to 93deg. Lately, it follows this disruption path and 25 mins later it might struggle to 64deg. I am constantly refilling the water reservoir and finding the process most frustrating. Please help? Thanks. John

Nick

Nickasked

The Oracle BES980

Love the Oracle but from new the tamper fan made a mechanical clank sound. It seems to be a little more now after a few months use. The smaller basket is worse.
The fan seems too loose on the magnetic spindle but no sign of wear. Seems like it moves around and knocks on the basket ?? Any ideas ?

Roger L.

Roger L.asked

The Oracle BES980

Just cleaned my machine but the clean me display remains how do I clear the display

Tim Lidcombe

Strange, it normally disappears after it’s gone through its cleaning cycle. Did the timer count down & the tablet fully dissolve..? I guess try putting it through it’s full clean cycle again, and see if that clears it.

Louasked

The Oracle BES980

my 4 year old breville oracle the portafiller wont insert into the grinder! any helpful suggestions?

Ray06
Ray06

Hi Lou, I guess after using it for four years you would be conversant with inserting the portafilter correctly. I don't have much advice as I am just trying to help but maybe there is a build up of ground coffee stuck up inside the grinder. Also check to make sure the strainer cup is seated correctly inside the portafilter. Another thing to try would be to insert the portafilter without the strainer cup inserted. I believe this would give another couple of millimetres clearance and if it fits it would probably indicate a build up of ground coffee up inside the grinder exit point. Either way give it a clean with the brush and see if it makes any difference. Hope this helps.

Lou

thankyou, had a look and all clean up there :)
But after looking at my sister in laws, i noticed the ring up insdie had slipped around a bit and that was the problem! slide the ring back into place and now all is well :):)

Greg
Greg

Thanks Lou. You solved my problem. I have an Oracle Touch. The porta-filter also wouldn't insert into the grinder. with the tamper fan removed I located the plastic ring section you spoke of and pushed on a notched section in a clockwise direction. It moved and clicked into position , fixing the problem. I guess it gets moved if you're not careful enough when removing the porta-filter from the grinder.

Lynnrrasked

The Oracle BES980

Hello in lockdown with a nasty eye infection & depending on my beloved coffee machine. When I turn it on I hear three beeps, it is noisier than normal and then won’t heat past 68. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Stephen L.
Stephen L.

My unit just started doing the same thing today. Ugh

Lynnrr

Check the handle on the right hand side of the machine to control the steamer. Mine had been knocked upwards and just needed pushing down into the normal position. Apparently 3 beeps when you switch on means it’s something safety related. Sage’s customer support technical outsourced people were excellent. I felt stupid!

KevinTasked

The Oracle BES980

Hi, we have had our Breville BES980 for a number of years now - love it and has always worked beautifully. Normally the coffee would always start to flow after about 8 seconds but for some reason over the last couple of days, it does not start to produce until about 10-11 seconds, obviously resulting in a slightly smaller shot. Is there anything I can do to get it back to flowing earlier?

Tim Lidcombe

The instructions say the coffee should start coming out around 7-8 seconds, if it takes longer it implies the grind is too fine. If you haven’t changed coffee brands recently you adjust the grind to make it more course. Also Try cleaning the grinder burs if you haven’t cleaned them in a while.

KevinT

Great Tim, thanks for that - will give it a try. Very much appreciate the advice.

Helen C.

Helen C.asked

Only heating to 66 suddenly

Tim Lidcombe

Hi Helen, this is just a guess, but try pressing the small MENU button and turn the larger SELECT button across 2 positions to the "SHOT TEMP" option to see what temp it is set at... mine says 93'C. Otherwise contact Breville direct. Regards... Tim

Denilson P.asked

The Oracle BES980

Water is not being pumped out (steam wand works properly).
What could be the issue?

Andrew4987

There are a few pumps inside, one for filling the steam, one for the main grouphead etc.

Sounds like you have had a pump fail. Is it making any sound at all?

If under warranty, log a repair job.

Denilson P.

It was making a sound, but water wasn't coming out. I opened and checked the solenoid, couldn't find the issue. Assembled it again and ir worked. Let's see how long it lasts.

Thanks.!

Nicole M.asked

The Oracle BES980

Hi we de-scaled our Oracle BES990 yesterday and it worked perfectly after that. This morning the machine will turn on but the temp gets to 93 and won't go any further. The milk light is green but when you press it, it won't work either. I've turned the machine on and off twice, and i have open the steam valves and closed them to make sure they are closed properly. Can you please help?

Nicole M.

Sorry i meant to say the machine is set to get to 93 degrees but won't. Thanks.

NoaB

NoaBasked

Hi! Thank for helping!
After cleaning and re-putting the o rings on the steam wand, machine shows error. Even when reset (1shot adding power button) is shows reset and followed by error. I really don’t want to send it in... what can I do?

Sean W.

Sean W.asked

I just descaled my machine and now it won’t get over 72degrees

Andrew4987

sometimes a airlock, try unscrewing the descaling screws again to bleed the air/steam/water through and try again.

Gang M.asked

The Oracle BES980

Why the temperature of the Breville 980 coffee machine does not work properly?

Andrew4987

Hi Gang, what do you mean? Which temperature?

Gang M.

Hi there, I have solved the problem, thank you!

Maria G

Maria Gasked

The Oracle BES980

The grind/tamper function appears to not work. This morning it dispensed a third of the coffee in to the portafilter and tampered unevenly. It has since stopped dispensing and grinding any coffee, goes straight to tamper. Any suggestions? The machine is in regular use and it was purchased a little over a year ago.

Andrew4987

Hi Maria, might be time to get your cleaning tools out and make sure the shoot is all clean etc and no blockages as the machine thinks the basket is full.

The tamper disc just pulls straight down and you can use the long brush to make sure the shoot etc is clean, and the disc just clicks back on, held my magnet. You can also use the magnet on the end of the cleaning brush to get the tamping disc out.

Carolyn E.

Carolyn E.asked

The Oracle BES980

Hi, I've had my oracle for over a year now with light usage. I had it sitting for over 2 months with no use and the first time i did use it again worked fine then the next time, the porta filter wont lock into the grind outlet... ( i've cleaned out the burr thinking something might be stuck from there... still wont lock in). When i insert the porta filter it wont turn to lock in. Is there a quick fix?

Christina X.
Christina X.

Carolyn, the same problem just occurred for me too a couple of days ago. We have had our machine for 8 months. The portafilter didn't lock into the grinding unit. We had an old grinder in the garage. We have used that to grind our coffee for the moment, and the portafilter fits fine into grouphead and makes a decent coffee. Unfortunately I dont know what the solution to fix the grinder is. I have tried to call Breville Customer Service for a couple of days and the voicemail message they have provided is that they are all in a meeting. I called today (Saturday) and the new message is that it is not office hours. SO unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait till after the easter weekend, to get someone on the phone from Breville to talk this through.

David W.asked

BES980BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Grinder not working on my 10 month old oracle. The process starts when I turn the portafilter but then it stops without the grinder ever going into motion. I’ve completely disassembled the grinder (as much as I’m allowed to without actually getting under the hood of the car). Sometimes (like 1 out of 100) it will work for no apparent reason, but then immediately fails again. Any ideas??

Andrew4987

If you have cleaned it all out etc, and still no go. Its a warranty claim, they have a 2 yr warranty.

David W.

Thanks for the reply. It’s on its way to service...

Denise

Deniseasked

The Oracle BES980

My oracle is 3 years old and has been awesome. Today the machine has stopped tamping. The grind function performs for what seems like a long time but does not move into the tamp function. I have manually tamped the grind to make a coffee. Just want to know if this is a major problem and given the age of the machine if it’s worth getting repaired

Andrew4987

Sounds like the tamping part of the grinder has failed. From memory its all one one unit. I would seek/push breville for a repair of the unit, at a bare min to cover the parts required, with you paying the labour. But for a $2000+ coffee machine it should last longer than 3 years. The grinder part is about $250-300, labour $100-200 at a guess.

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives