Breville The Oracle BES980

Breville The Oracle BES980 Questions & Answers (page 2 of 14)

BES980BKS (Black Sesame) and BES980BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

268 questions from our users

Erik M.asked

The Oracle BES980

Mine has recently started acting up.
When I push either 1,2 shots or water button. The pump is not turning on, no water comes out of spout.
So far it does seem to work right at startup when it just hits the operating temp. But if it sits for a while at operating temperature, then the pump will not start when any buttons the pushed.
The steam works fine.

Any idea what it may be? Is it a bad reading at a sensor that disables the pump? Or is something wrong with the pump?
Machine is about 3-4 years old and has shot counter is at 4000.

Have replaced some orings. But none appear to be leaking at the moment. I pulled off a solenoid the other day. But it looked so clean at the 2 spouts that I didn’t start taking it apart. Seemed like it wouldn’t be an issue.

Hopefully someone has some advice.
Thanks.

John Norris

John Norrisasked

The Oracle BES980

Takes ages eg 30 mins to get to 93. As it climbs to 93, it frequently pours water out and the temp would drop eg 82 to 65 then the heating would continue to eg 86 then drop to 71 etc. During this process i would have to pour in another litre of water to keep the reservoir level at a reasonable level. What solution suggested?

Victor S.
Victor S.

Faulty machine is my guess. Mine takes maybe 2 minutes to get up to temp, no fluctuations and no loss of water.

Michelle Hughes

Michelle Hughesasked

The Oracle BES980

The tamping mechanism on my machine does not seem to be working as well as it did before I cleaned around that area. It seems like the mechanism scoops out some of the top of the coffee after grinding, leaving loose coffee on top around the edges

Angela C.

Angela C.asked

The Oracle BES980

The first 4 seconds of each pull is a black sludge before the real ambrosia and crema emerge. Is there a specific setting i should be eyeballing to remedy this?

Janet

Janetasked

The Oracle BES980

The water tank lid will not open it seems to be on lock down. What is the problem?

rpr

rprasked

The Oracle BES980

My BES980XL will frequently not polish the tamp. It seems like the majority of the puck is tamped, but the surface layer is extremely soft and you can even see the uneven impression of the tamper. Subjectively, it seems like there might be too much coffee in the portafilter, implying the sensor that tells the machine to stop grinding and tamping and start polishing might not be working, but it does ultimately shut off. I saw one post above that was a bit different (that user seemed to think the entire puck was soft), and there was a suggestion to wet the basket before placing it in the grinder/tamper head. I assume this suggestion would apply if the entire puck was spinning. I’m reluctant to do this though because I have always read that you want the portafilter to be dry. Has anyone else experienced this periodic lack of polishing/tamping of just the upper layer of the puck? Any other suggestions?

Disappointed
Disappointed

I had the same issue. Had to replace tamp sensors.

Lob571

Lob571asked

Hi There,
Our water fill top kid won’t shut. Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks in advance

Graham S.

Graham S.asked

The Oracle BES980

Can’t get coffee to pour

Mark W

Mark Wasked

The Oracle BES980

Wanting to purchase filters and cleaning products for the BES980. It is asking me to check the batch number of the machine to make sure I get the correct water filters. Where is the batch number located.

Roy

Royasked

The Oracle BES980

the "clean me" alert appeared so I ran a clean me cycle but the "clean me alert is still showing?

RC

RCasked

The Oracle BES980

My breville oracle has always screamed when on the clean cycle and rarely dissolved the tablet. It is four years old now and has started overheating and switching off. Tried reset, but didn't help. Any ideas

Meg S.asked

The Oracle BES980

Hi, my machine won't pump water through the hot water function, or the coffee head. The steam wand works fine (yes I've checked there's water in the reservoir!) Any suggestions please? TIA

Sandra F.
Sandra F.

Nor did mine after using it 3 times. Now in for warranty.

Erik M.

Hi Meg. Did you ever resolve this issue? Mine is behaving the same way. Please let me know how you resolved yours. Thanks.

Meg S.

Hi Erik. I decided to stop throwing good money after bad & replaced the machine with another of same model. So I sold the unit to someone who I fully informed of the problem, & what I guessed it might be. He happily reported it was the water pump as suspected, which he was able to fix himself (he was some sort of technician in the know, I don’t think it’s a job anyone can do) & is now enjoying excellent coffee. If I hadn’t already spent $500 replacing two solenoids I probably would’ve paid to get it repaired. I think they’re great domestic machines & am still happy with the coffee I can make at home with this model. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Mike

Mikeasked

The Oracle BES980

My machine is making a spring like sound when I start a shot. Originally started with the first shot of the day but now it is doing it with each shot. How do I fix it?

Kathy

Kathyasked

The Oracle BES980

My breville Oracle is producing too much coffee when grinding. How do I stop this happening? Thanks

j.tidyman

Hi Kathy, the Oracle coffee gram dosage can't be changed. But apparently you can change the auto tampering pressure & duration in the machines menu. Have been told by altering these it obviously tamps it down more and appears to slightly reduce the amount of grams the grinder drops into the basket. I have not personally had to make this adjustment, but sure if you read owners manual it will give you step by step instructions how to do it.

j.tidyman

Hey I just found this might help you

punditjiasked

BES980BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Why is there no extended warranty available on your coffee machines. Is it true that it starts playing up from about 18 months.

Peter L
Peter L

Punditji,
if you buy from good company like Harvey Norman, you can get extended warranty for 48 months.
but you have to get when first purchase.
you are covered at 18mths with the original 2 yr warranty, suggest you contact Breville 1300 139 798 to get fixed before your warranty gone.
Great machine, best coffee for any machine we have tried, best of luck ))

punditji

That is not true. I went to Harvey Norman in Rothwell, Qld 2 days ago & Tracey told me that they do not do extended warranty on coffee machines.

Scott M.
Scott M.

I just bought mine from Harvey Norman Capalaba. Was offered extended warranty. However ACCC states goods should last a reasonable amount of time. A machine costing over $2000 I would not consider 18 months reasonable.

shirley w.

shirley w.asked

The Oracle BES980

I brought few days ago an issue of heat cycle stop at 74c, ask for a new set change
After change on the spot check no issue, when back homevto try to pull a shot , unbelievable thst the shot clock appear hearing, change water filters plus descale! On dear this was a new sets! Why this happened.
And I try to fix the filters put it in placed again.... Still shot clock appears same issue! Did anyone face same problem as me?
Now waiting for breville to reply me .

Neil

Neilasked

The Oracle BES980

My ginder has stopped working

John T.

John T.asked

The Oracle BES980

From day one the first cup of coffee is perfect. Not really a problem as I am the only one that drinks coffee at my place. However If I am entertaining and need to make multiple cups then every subsequent coffee is cats whizz. Water just runs through like grind is too coarse. Please help!!

luckybee
luckybee

Same problem, but in my case the first cup is like grind is too fine, getting 25-30g in cup out of 21g in portafilter. Every subsequent coffee is as it should be, 45g out of 21g. I can't explain what's going on there.

Donna R.
Donna R.

I have the same problem!!!!

Colin

Colinasked

The Oracle BES980

Heat cycle stops at 69 to 70 degrees and will not continue to 93?

Donna NZ
Donna NZ

Our Oracle did that the first time we turned it on. Turn it off at the wall and leave it at least half an hour or longer if possible before turning it back on. Ours hasn’t missed a beat since we did that. It should reach 93 quickly (in under 5 mins)

Out west
Out west

Hi Colin, we had a similar issue with our machine, it was tripping the power at about 70 degrees, I found the steam vessel had broken O rings and was producing steam into the hood and causing the machine to trip the power.
After some research I found this is a common problem. I fixed it myself with 2 little $1 O rings.

Jakob S
Jakob S

Out West - was your power cutting out? Mine just stays at 70 but the power is fine - just wondering if it is the same problem/fix needed?

Col

Colasked

BES980BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

We can't get the temp to rise above 71 degrees

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives