Breville Smart Toast BTA845

15 questions from our users

Ellie

Ellieasked

Smart Toast BTA845

All lights flashing and toast will not lift

John

Johnasked

Smart Toast BTA845

How to remove outer casing? Have already removed 10 screws but no go.
Bread is burning one side and other side only warm. All 4 slots the same you might expect it on a $20 toaster but not a $200 one wish I read reviews before buying it 4 years ago.

Biggeew

Biggeewasked

Smart Toast BTA845

Purchased this toaster (TBA845) back in July 2017, was working great up until Dec 2018 and then again Jan 2019.
The toaster finishes toasting (left hand two slots) but does not return to the load position when finished toasting, It seems to happen only if the look button has been pressed, but this is intermittent, any one else noticed this ?

tamo
tamo

I have had no problems so far with this model toaster.

Steven Grant Taylor

Steven Grant Taylorasked

Smart Toast BTA845

How do you get into the bottom and clean out all of the crumbs, that do not fall into two (2) trays?

Peter
Peter

I just (carefully) turn the toaster upside down and give a gentle shake (after disconnecting power).

shanexu3
shanexu3

I put mine on an ants nest and they cleaned it for me. The flat spot under the bread should be more vertical to encourage the crumbs to fall onto the crumb tray.

Norm S.
Norm S.

UNPLUG POWER!!!
reach in and brush gently with small basting / pastry brush

Steve

Steveasked

Hi,
the crumpet fruit bread function does not say how to toast fruit bread. I tried just using the crumpet button but it burnt the fruit bread. I pushed crumpet fruit bread button twice but I think that just cancels the crumpet function and reverts to normal toast. Please tell me how to toast fruit bread.
Regards
Steve

PHM
PHM

Hi Steve, I dial the timer down and don’t worry about the crumpet button. Hope this helps. PHM

Sandi
Sandi

Hi Steve

You press the crumpet/fruit button once to toast crumpets. You press it twice for fruit bread. It will glow blue around the button when in fruit bead toasting mode. You may still have to dial it done a little when doing the fruit bread but I have found it to toast both really well.

Phill

Phillasked

Smart Toast BTA845

The lights are flashing on my toaster and it's still in the toast position. What's wrong?

Maggie3029
Maggie3029

If you’ve pulled the plug right out of the Powerpoint, waited about twenty seconds then plugged it back in and it’s still doing it. I’d call breville customer support.
Sometimes though it’s just like any
computerised thing. They need rebooting. If it’s always doing it though. Again talk to breville.

Alisha H.
Alisha H.

Hi there my toaster is doing this. Did you end up fixing yours? If so, how?

David

Davidasked

Smart Toast BTA845

Does the selection area top right where you choose toast bake broil etc stay lit up all the time?

Paul Gioia
Paul Gioia

I don't have a BTA845 (4 toaster) with dual independent controls. Mine is the BTA 825 and my only buttons that stay lit is "Toast/Cancel" button and the "A Bit More" button.
This is a question that you need to ask Breville Customer Service. I would expect, only the selection controls be lit during operation, not all at all times.
Hope this helps you.
Regards,
POG

TasNet

TasNetasked

Smart Toast BTA845

Have just bought this top of the range model & we have the same problem - uneven toasting - even though NOT on crumpet mode. All elements are working. Please advise.

Paulie111
Paulie111

I'm sorry that you have this problem as I havnt experienced this problem with my Breville Smart toaster. Mine cooks really evenly. I would not recommend the Breville Smart kettle though. Had lots of problems with that and it really wasn't very smart at all. Wish I could help :(

AndrewC2340
AndrewC2340

I have a theory on this issue.
First of all, "disclaimer"... Its a toaster so remember there is an electric shock danger.
It has nichrome wire that glows red and gets hot and is wrapped around a material like mica sheets. The wire has no insulation so if you touch it, it has the full 240VAC present.
You might notice that some of the wire bows out from the backing but other segments are flat against the backing. Look while the toaster is running.
Where it touches the backing, the heat energy is absorbed into the backing and thus cooks less.
You could, if toaster-qualified, try adjusting the wire accordingly. Careful as the wire is brittle.
This is really a quality control issue or a design flaw.
This could explain why some users get good results but others dont. The wire could go either way as it expands and contracts with the heat over time.
Top of range toaster should address this issue.
We should not forgive even a $15 toaster for this.

Regards
AndrewC

Brett

Brettasked

Smart Toast BTA845

Is this good enough and last longing ? Because I hate to switch to other items/brands when I get used to with it.

Chucky110
Chucky110

As I said in my review, I have had mine for about 4 - 5 years, you may hvae to putr the bread in a couple times until you get used to it but I have had no issues

Joan
Joan

I don't know anything about the BTA845. I bought the BTA825. If you were a member of Choice, the following are what they recommend: KitchenAid 5KMT2204ACAO - $379, Breville Lift & Look Pro BTA730 - $130, KitchenAid 5AKMT4230B - $279 or Smeg TSFO2BLAU - $199. These prices obviously could vary, depending on where you buy and where you live. I had a Breville before, a BTA820 and it lasted a reasonable amount of time.

Angela De Lorenzo

Angela De Lorenzoasked

Smart Toast BTA845

My Breville 4 Slice Smart toaster keeps setting off the safety switch. Is anyone else having this problem?

BusyMum 6798
BusyMum 6798

No sorry, haven't experienced this.

Coffeerequired
Coffeerequired

Yes, have now taken two back as both fused the house. Have got another one but they have changed the name and price, so thinking this may have been a general problem.

john
john

Yes, just bought on the weekend, and thru the safety switch. Will take it back if this happens again

Denise

Deniseasked

What is the dimensions - height and width? Thank you

Hi Denise - dimensions are (HxWxL mm)300.3 x 286.7 x 196.8 mm
Thanks, the Breville team

Gail

Gailasked

Smart Toast BTA845

I would like the dimensions of the Breville smart toast 4 slice toaster please? I need to know if it will fit in my cupboard before purchasing

BrevilleBreville

Hi Gail, the dimensions for the Breville Smart Toast 4 Slice are as follows: (HxWxL mm)300.3 x 286.7 x 196.8 mm. Thanks, the Breville team.

2Fold

2Foldasked

Smart Toast BTA845

Toaster wont lift and release toast, sounds like it wants to lift but cant. After about 8 seconds of trying it stops and flashes all light on the side with problems. This is the second toaster of this kind as the first one was returned due to one side not working at all. Any ideas?

BrevilleBreville

Hi 2Fold, we'd like to discuss your issues in more detail. Can you please email your contact details to askus@breville.com.au - include your profile name in the subject line. Thanks, the Breville team

WillUl
WillUl

I have this same issue. Was a fix found?

No way
No way

Mine also will not release the bread and after several seconds all lights begin to flash.

Henryasked

Smart Toast BTA845

My toaster was working this morning now won't work at all after I cleaned it.

What do you recommend?

Paul
Paul

Define won't work ie: what doesn't work ?....Define "cleaned" .....what did you do?

Henry

Disregard, the toaster works again.

leanne

leanneasked

Smart Toast BTA845

Have a new toaster (4 slice) and find on all compartments the toast is more cooked on one side than the other??

hako
hako

Sounds like the middle elements are not working on yours - check by watching elements which should all light up except when you cook crumpets which cook less on one side. Make sure you only press the start button (to check elements) as when you press other buttons you are telling the toaster to turn some elements off. Has a 2 year warranty so take it back as it should cook all sides evenly - take a slice of toast with you to prove it..
Good Luck

Hi Leanne,
The Crumpet setting is designed to apply more heat to one side of the toast to accommodate the different heat requirements of a crumpet. When starting the toasting cycle, check to see that the ‘Crumpet’ setting isn’t active. If you need further assistance, please contact us on 1300 139 798.

Thanks, The Breville Team
^TD

See all Breville Smart Toast questions

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives