Breville The Oracle Touch BES990

Breville The Oracle Touch BES990 Questions & Answers

BES990BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel) and BES990BTR (Black Truffle)

19 questions from our users

Alpasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Throw does one set a 1 cup measure vs a two cup measure on the grind? I thought that was automatic based on the basket size.

teddeebare

Yes the grind amount is based on the basket size. The grinder will continue to fill the basket until it is full. So a smaller basket will fill sooner and the grind will stop.

Thank you.

Alpasked

The Oracle Touch BES990BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Recently my 1cup filter basket get stuck after the pour. Portafilter comes uff but not the basket. I called breville and the suggested I change the grind to more course but then I don’t get the crema. I tried dying the basket that too didn’t help. Suggestions?
I don’t think there is a service center in Hawaii?
Al

Jill
Jill

Sorry I’m in Australia- we don’t use the one cup but it does flip out with a spoon

Debbie G.

Debbie G.asked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I have had this machine since dec 2017. It’s great but has been back for servicing four times. I just got it back again and the problem has not been fix. The steamer is 20degrees out. This burns the milk. So I have turned it down but I have to reset it each time. Since I have received it back the grind has to be set at 30 to get it to take between 8 and 13 sec to make the coffee. Getting a bit peeved.

teddeebare

The coffee starts to pour at between 8 and 12 seconds. All up it should take about 25 for a single shot and about 30 for a double. How do you know the steam wand is about 20 degrees out? Have you measured it?

Helen

Helenasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I have a Breville Oracle Touch BES990, and am trying to replace the filter, "install filter in tank", how do I access it?

Breville
BrevilleBreville

The water tank is unlocked and removed from the back of the appliance via the handle at the bottom center of the back of the unit.

Margaret A

Margaret Aasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

What is the best temperature to set for the brew. Brian

Michael W.
Michael W.

That probably depends on your coffee beans and water. I’ve fiddled a lot but find default settings actually work really well: milk 65, water 93, single water dose (about 25seconds) but double portafilter ie 24g coffee. The only thing that needs adjusting is grind size. I start at 30 with fresh beans but need to reduce as beans age to get coffee appearing at 8-12 seconds and 60mls total coffee when pour finishes at 25 seconds.

Patricia P.

Patricia P.asked

How much is it pls

google it it different price everywhere you shop around $3,000

IngS

IngSasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

After brewing the grounds are very wet on top, is this normal? Also how many ounces are in a double latte or cappuccino, it doesn’t look like very much.

Snazzie

your grind is not set properly look at the instruction manual.

Mike

Mikeasked

What is the whole procedure for descaling the Breville BES 990 oracle

luckybee

luckybeeasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I figured out how to access the advanced settings on this machine, but there is a password prompt. I think it's a factory password. Anyone know where to find?

Betrayed

Are you sure it's a password prompt, not something else?
Check the instructions at http://www.brevilleusasupport.com/bes980xl/care-and-use/alerts-and-advanced-features/
Or call their customer service number.

fred f
fred f

Sounds like it is password protected for a reason.

Touch
Touch

How did you access the advanced settings?

rmckasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Hi there, new owner of Oracle Touch having read and watched multiple reviews/vids online. I have two questions for the experienced folk out there:

1. We find the porta filter incredibly tight in the head unit - a two handed operation that often moves the whole heavy unit? Is this normal?

2. We have so much vibration that a pair of coffee glasses will rattle and most of the time vibrate forward in the tray while brewing - this means a tall black/americano is not possible unattended as the cups vibrate forward away from the hot water spout to rear :-(.

Anyone else experienced these issues?

Betrayed

Doesn't sound normal at all.
6 months after buying the Oracle Touch, I haven't had any problems - and not one as you describe (definitely only use one hand for the portafilter).
The only suggestion I have is that you make sure there are no grounds in the socket. (See if a moist sponge dislodges anything after a good wipe.)
If there is a pressure leak at that point that might explain why it's dancing.
I make it a habit to skim the portafilter with my index finger after grinding - it always seems to leave some coffee sitting on the top edge.
Also check you have the vacuum clamp (under the drip tray) secured.
Otherwise call the service line mum - you might need to take it to the hospital.
Good luck ...

PS: Were you offered the 1 hr White Glove barista training on purchase? It was great!

rmck

Many thanks! Unfortunately no White Glove service available to my knowledge on Belgium. They would have likely been able to resolve/confirm my issues.

I fixed the porta filter into head unit issue through diagnosis. I noticed that when empty it fit like a glove so checked the dry puck weight and it was 24g. QED too much ground to fit nicely in head unit. Solution was to remove the tamping fan and extended it (YouTube videos) 2mm so I get the recommended 21-22g shot. Fits perfect now!

Amazon purchase so as the vibration has not resolved they are sending a replacement unit - excellent customer service. Many thanks for your input, I will certainly adopt your routine of manually clearing excess grind from portafilter - very sensible.

Notwithstanding inconsistent early morning first shot (under extracts first pull for some reason) - the coffee is superb!

Tmowers

Tmowersasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Should the tamped coffee be touching the shower head?

Francisco M

Francisco Masked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Hi, I have a important question... do you think this machine can work in a small business coffee truck? Thanks a lot

Marty62
Marty62

Hi I am not real sure to be honest as I haven't made a lot of coffee back to back so don't know the recovery time. The quality for me is good really like mine. Another thing I don't know is how durable it would be in a moving van. Hope this helps and good luck.

Betrayed

Your warranty won't cover commercial use.
Recovery time is less than the grind time, so no problems there.

Latifa

Latifaasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I would like to know the price. Thank u
Email. [email removed]

AAA
AAA

$3100 iş what I paid

PKCMVA
PKCMVA

Us the Australian consumer has to pay $1100.00 more than the USA for the same thing. I'll just wait till the price gouging is over. After having the BEP920BSS or similar for the last 5 years or so, and the cost of maintenance and repair, they should be half the price their selling for now. I always believed their toasters are a $12 item with a $150 facelift, so maybe the coffee machines are too.

Jl94

replying to PKCMVA , the conversion rate makes the price go up 2499 usd to aud is around 3500 , but you can purchase for around 3 k
currently there is free cofee promo running until 31st Dec 2018

boyd

boydasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

can any one tell me is this unit suitable for a office? we make a lot of coffees everyday

Betrayed

Watch out - your warranty excludes use in a commercial environment.

cris

crisasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

what type of water filter is can be used or that is compatible for this type of machine?

Simo

Simoasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Is there any difference between the touch and standard Oracle besides the obvious touch function?

Jl94

the finish on the machines oracle is brushed stainless and touch is polished , the oracle has more auto on settings 4 vs1

timmaaa

timmaaaasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I've noticed that the wand heats the milk well but it doesn't actually froth it very well at all. I end up with slightly frothed milk even on the highest setting. I think this is because the tip of the wand sits too low in the milk. Anyone have any ideas?

Tamsta

hi check to make sure the wand is not blocked. regular Descale through the wand. I have mine one permanent cappuccino setting ( even though I prefer lat 'e as I think it creates better froth. make sure you " tap the milk after the Steam wand and swirl the milk so it folds into itself" Mine stopped steaming effectively after 2 years and is in getting a replacement part. If your still not happy with that the only two options you have are 1. do it manually or 2. ring Beville as they have their own dedicated service team just for this machine. good luck

Pieterasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

The last three mornings when I power on the machine it start pouring water from the centre coffee (where you put the grounded coffee after tamping) as if the brew button has been pressed this is 3 seconds after power on and the water is cold. Front power button of and on does not stop this HOWEVER turning power off at the wall does. What do I do now?

Tamsta

hi they have a 2 year warranty- so get it looked at by an authorised dealer - if it's still in warranty it won't cost you a cent.

Kate
Kate

Hi - what was the solution to this? Ours just started doing the same thing!

Pieter

I removed all programmed auto power on times and it stopped doing it. all seems fine now for the last month.
What is odd though is now there are no programmed auto power on it does actual power on on Thursdays which I dont mind though.

I have had no water pouring at all since then.

Clancy

Clancyasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I noticed the wattage is quite high. Can a small apartment take that high wattage without tripping?

Jl94

yes the wattage is not much higher than a standard kettle

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives