Breville The Oracle Touch BES990

Breville The Oracle Touch BES990 Questions & Answers

BES990BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel), BES990BTR (Black Truffle)

28 questions from our users

Sheilaasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

My BES990 wasn’t being used and the steamer wand began to steam wouldn’t stop with power button had to unplug. I used it this morning and the unit worked fine and is still plugged in not sure if there is something I can do to prevent this from happening?

Just happened again

Cherokee72
Cherokee72

Have you got the wand pointing completely downwards and done a steam shot after last use? Sometimes I find if the wand isn't down properly this can happen.

Cathy H

Cathy Hasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Has anyone had an issue when steaming milk that the display reaches desired temperature in matter of seconds and steam turns off even though milk is still cold. There is no gradual increase in temp on display - it just quickly reaches desired temperature without actually having heated the milk.

Roy P.asked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Tried the Clean Cycle (Descale) but machine will no heat up after changing water tank out with Descaled liquid. Similarly can not get Machine to Heat Up past 74' in any mode anymore?
Can you please assist.... tried Factory Reset but still limited to 74' and 'Haeting Flashing!

Toffieneus
Toffieneus

Same happened to me, cant get it to work anymore, have you had any luck yet?

Roy P.

Have managed to fix this issue! I had previously been bleeding the air from the system as per instructions using the screw type bleed valve but found the problem was an air lock in the Hot Water line! By opening the Hot Water for about 30 seconds the machine discharge large amounts of air and water before delivery a steady constant stream! The machine then heated to full and normal Temperature!
This should be included in the instructions in future to avoid the issue and frustration!
Roy P

mike

mikeasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

We just purchased this machine and am wondering if we select a double shot what the timer should be set at vs the single shot time?

Linda Bell

Linda Bellasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

When the machine is turned it makes a loud noise and water starts to pour out and only stops when the water has warmed up.

Usability tester
Usability tester

Hi Linda, if it is under warranty, return it. If the 2-year warranty has expired I'd call Consumer Affairs in your state/territory as there is legislation that protects consumers even if you've been told you can't return the goods. Hope that helps.

Scott Wilson

They repaired my machine that leaked under warranty at 3 years old and said it was their premium product so they wanted to ensure satisfaction.

Scott Wilson

Sounds like it is the solenoid that opens and closes the water flow

shamra tankersley

shamra tankersleyasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

How do you run the descale cycle on the 990 machine? I open the descale with a screw driver. Now what?

Scott Wilson

I simply ran the descale clean cycle after selecting it in settings.
However I only use filtered water in the machine and our water in Auckland, NZ is not very hard, so descaleing isnt much of a problem here.

Peter Jones

Peter Jonesasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I cannot remove the grinding parts for cleaning, cannot turn to unlock, is jammed solid. Do not want to force it.

Ade68

Ade68asked

The Oracle Touch BES990BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Can someone please let me know where to find the password for my BES990 advanced menu and/or tell me how to call up how many coffees the machine has made? cheers

Fran

Franasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I cant seem to figure out how to change the filter?

Alpasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Throw does one set a 1 cup measure vs a two cup measure on the grind? I thought that was automatic based on the basket size.

teddeebare

Yes the grind amount is based on the basket size. The grinder will continue to fill the basket until it is full. So a smaller basket will fill sooner and the grind will stop.

Thank you.

Alpasked

The Oracle Touch BES990BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Recently my 1cup filter basket get stuck after the pour. Portafilter comes uff but not the basket. I called breville and the suggested I change the grind to more course but then I don’t get the crema. I tried dying the basket that too didn’t help. Suggestions?
I don’t think there is a service center in Hawaii?
Al

Jill
Jill

Sorry I’m in Australia- we don’t use the one cup but it does flip out with a spoon

Debbie G.

Debbie G.asked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I have had this machine since dec 2017. It’s great but has been back for servicing four times. I just got it back again and the problem has not been fix. The steamer is 20degrees out. This burns the milk. So I have turned it down but I have to reset it each time. Since I have received it back the grind has to be set at 30 to get it to take between 8 and 13 sec to make the coffee. Getting a bit peeved.

teddeebare

The coffee starts to pour at between 8 and 12 seconds. All up it should take about 25 for a single shot and about 30 for a double. How do you know the steam wand is about 20 degrees out? Have you measured it?

Helen

Helenasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I have a Breville Oracle Touch BES990, and am trying to replace the filter, "install filter in tank", how do I access it?

Breville
BrevilleBreville

The water tank is unlocked and removed from the back of the appliance via the handle at the bottom center of the back of the unit.

Margaret A

Margaret Aasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

What is the best temperature to set for the brew. Brian

Michael W.
Michael W.

That probably depends on your coffee beans and water. I’ve fiddled a lot but find default settings actually work really well: milk 65, water 93, single water dose (about 25seconds) but double portafilter ie 24g coffee. The only thing that needs adjusting is grind size. I start at 30 with fresh beans but need to reduce as beans age to get coffee appearing at 8-12 seconds and 60mls total coffee when pour finishes at 25 seconds.

Patricia P.

Patricia P.asked

How much is it pls

google it it different price everywhere you shop around $3,000

IngS

IngSasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

After brewing the grounds are very wet on top, is this normal? Also how many ounces are in a double latte or cappuccino, it doesn’t look like very much.

Snazzie

your grind is not set properly look at the instruction manual.

Mike

Mikeasked

What is the whole procedure for descaling the Breville BES 990 oracle

luckybee

luckybeeasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

I figured out how to access the advanced settings on this machine, but there is a password prompt. I think it's a factory password. Anyone know where to find?

Betrayed

Are you sure it's a password prompt, not something else?
Check the instructions at http://www.brevilleusasupport.com/bes980xl/care-and-use/alerts-and-advanced-features/
Or call their customer service number.

Fired Up
Fired Up

Sounds like it is password protected for a reason.

Touch
Touch

How did you access the advanced settings?

rmckasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Hi there, new owner of Oracle Touch having read and watched multiple reviews/vids online. I have two questions for the experienced folk out there:

1. We find the porta filter incredibly tight in the head unit - a two handed operation that often moves the whole heavy unit? Is this normal?

2. We have so much vibration that a pair of coffee glasses will rattle and most of the time vibrate forward in the tray while brewing - this means a tall black/americano is not possible unattended as the cups vibrate forward away from the hot water spout to rear :-(.

Anyone else experienced these issues?

Betrayed

Doesn't sound normal at all.
6 months after buying the Oracle Touch, I haven't had any problems - and not one as you describe (definitely only use one hand for the portafilter).
The only suggestion I have is that you make sure there are no grounds in the socket. (See if a moist sponge dislodges anything after a good wipe.)
If there is a pressure leak at that point that might explain why it's dancing.
I make it a habit to skim the portafilter with my index finger after grinding - it always seems to leave some coffee sitting on the top edge.
Also check you have the vacuum clamp (under the drip tray) secured.
Otherwise call the service line mum - you might need to take it to the hospital.
Good luck ...

PS: Were you offered the 1 hr White Glove barista training on purchase? It was great!

rmck

Many thanks! Unfortunately no White Glove service available to my knowledge on Belgium. They would have likely been able to resolve/confirm my issues.

I fixed the porta filter into head unit issue through diagnosis. I noticed that when empty it fit like a glove so checked the dry puck weight and it was 24g. QED too much ground to fit nicely in head unit. Solution was to remove the tamping fan and extended it (YouTube videos) 2mm so I get the recommended 21-22g shot. Fits perfect now!

Amazon purchase so as the vibration has not resolved they are sending a replacement unit - excellent customer service. Many thanks for your input, I will certainly adopt your routine of manually clearing excess grind from portafilter - very sensible.

Notwithstanding inconsistent early morning first shot (under extracts first pull for some reason) - the coffee is superb!

Tmowers

Tmowersasked

The Oracle Touch BES990

Should the tamped coffee be touching the shower head?

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives