Spacious cooking capacity
Food is crispy and soft
Quick heating times
Disappointed with Airfry function
large oven that works ok on most functions but didn't realise that the airflow fan is placed at the side of the oven and not from the top. When airfrying you want the airflow hitting the chips across the whole surface from the top down. I find it more uneven when cooking with the air coming from the side plus the most annoying feature of this is the oven has preheat when you select Airfry. Which adds cooking time and is not how other models seem to work . It feels like Airfry has been added on as an after thought. If you are looking especially for the airfry function I wouldn't recommend
Purchased in September 2019.
Not what we'd hoped
Very well presented compact convection oven with air fry feature we were eagerly looking forward to trying.
Beautifully packaged, and setup is straight forward and intuitive, with the possible exception of the crumb tray. As we religiously followed the set up instructions we got to step 5 which says "insert the crumb tray into the oven". The crumb tray will not fit into the oven … and it was only after many attempts and head scratching that we discovered that the customary "included components" diagram earlier in the manual showed a picture th...at hinted that the crumb tray actually slid UNDER the oven's exterior body. Ahhhhhh!!! There are three different height settings available for the racks in the oven, and markings on the door clearly show the situations in which you would use each. The centre position is probably the one most commonly used, and it has a smart feature which automatically ejects the shelf halfway out when the door is opened. Very handy, and clever thinking. Easily operated door opens downwards with a nice wide handle at the top, which stays fairly cool during cooking. Nice, intuitive black on grey LED display that changes to black on orange in operation … but be warned, the display can be difficult to impossible to read as the viewing angle changes. It is perfectly clear when viewing from above right down to just above eye level. We had selected a great spot for installing the oven in a cutout designed for a large microwave which had the unit at eye level. It is difficult to read at this point, and impossible as you move lower. Our 16 year old daughter had to get a chair so she could operate the oven as the display was useless below eye level. After a period of inactivity the display fades out to just a feint presentation of the settings options. It would have been great if it could perhaps have defaulted off to a clock or something … but this is a minor point. Functions are easily user selectable via the interface - with settings for grill/toast/crumpet/bake/roast/pizza/reheating/air frying and slow cooking. Parameters are then determined by the processor to optimise cooking for the selected mode. The programme suggests a default based upon the mode selected, however the settings can be easily adjusted to allow for more or less heat or greater/lesser portion sizes. We tried crumpet mode first (the rack holds six at a pinch) with reasonable results … however at the end of the cook the oven shut down showing error code EO5. Reference to the manual revealed that this represented a "non resettable issue" that required a service call to Breville. We couldn't quite believe this on the very first use, so we turned off the power at the wall and inspected the oven for any obvious problems. None found. So we plugged it in again and it was fine.
Purchased in May 2019.
Questions & Answers
Am I able to use a second air fry basket at the same time? I have seen some videos that show this but I'm not sure. I wanted to know before I buy the second mesh tray from Breville.
I have had a Breville smart oven BOV860BTR for 1 year now and the black paint has started to peel away from the door area next to the front control panel. Has anyone had this happen to theirs? Is this a manufacturing fault and would warranty cover this fault? Paying over $400 , you would expect better quality.
The air fryer basket.. what is it made of? Is it stainless steel?
Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives
- Comes with 10 pre-set cooking functions, which are: toast, crumpet, bake, grill, roast, air fry, pizza, slow cook, re-heat and warm.
- A large 22-litre capacity allows you to toast 6 slices of toast, cook a 30-cm pizza, roast a chicken, or place a 9-cup muffin tray inside the Smart Oven.
- Uses Breville’s trademarked Element iQ system ‘super convection’ method. This maximises airflow and directs power to where it’s needed, for more even cooking and a crispy exterior on foods.
- A brushed stainless steel body features a durable construction.
- Comes with the following accessories: an air fry basket, enamel roasting pan, 30cm non-stick pizza pan, wire rack and grilling rack.
Points of praise
- The majority of reviewers were happy with the performance of their Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer. Reviewers shared that it cooked roasts, grills and air fries food really well - including French fries and wedges, roast potatoes, roast meat, pizza, garlic bread, and muffins.
- Food is crispy on the outside and soft on the outside.
- The 22-litre capacity is spacious, allowing home chefs to cook large batches of food (barring, perhaps, a large family roast).
- The Smart Oven is quick to heat up, and is more efficient than larger ovens in this way.
Points to consider
- Some reviewers found that this Breville Smart Oven was difficult to clean.
|Category||Benchtop / Toaster Ovens and Air Fryers|
|Dimensions||480 x 403 x 278 mm|
|Dishwasher Safe Parts||No|
|Dimensions||480 x 403 x 278 mm|
|Manufacturer Warranty||2 year(s)|
|Construction Material||Stainless Steel|
|Colour / Finish||Brushed Stainless Steel or Black|
|Release date||Jan 2019|
- GTIN13: 9312432018807
- MPN: BOV860BSS and BOV860BTR
Other Benchtop / Toaster Ovens
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.