3Breville Toast & Melt

Breville Toast & Melt Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Lisa · Toast & Melt

Hi everyone, I wanted to check what the non-stick plates are coated in on the breville sandwich press model bsg520 plate? Mine is about 10 years old and works wonderfully.

John13

It’s polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), commonly known as Teflon which is a synthetic chemical made up of carbon and fluorine atoms. Most manufacturers use this coating for their non stick cooking products. Breville is no exception.

ssesprit

Further to John13’s answer above. Breville state the following on their website for the sandwich press.

Premium quality PFOA free titanium infused non stick coating for easy cleaning

Lisa

Thank you both for your reply. I was asking the question to check if the model we have may contain any 'forever chemicals'. Do you think because the model is about 10 years old, there's a risk.

John13

If the surface is still intact, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. However, a lot of the cooking plates in these items are of an aluminium alloy and if that’s exposed due to scratches, I would be reluctant to use the unit. If the base is cast iron, no problem. It all depends on how much use you’ve had in that 10 years, and how carefully it’s been used.

Lisa

I really appreciate the response. It has been well used so I'm thinking due to the risk, I'll retire it.

Lynne B · Toast & Melt

I purchased the 4 slice toast and melt after seeing pictures of it advertised as sitting flat when adjusted to higher setting. Mine does not do this and top almost touches bottom plate at the back so squashes everything. So disappointed it is no better than my old non adjustable sandwich press. Is there a way to correct this problem?

John13

The top plate is a swivel type and should adjust to suite the profile of the sandwiches automatically. However, when new, this swivel action is not as free as one would expect - but it does loosen up eventually. If you are only cooking 2 sandwiches, it's best to place them at the rear to avoid them being flattened at the far ends. But if you have 4 sandwiches all cooking at once, it shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't be flattening them as you describe. If so, it may be a stuck swivel mechanism and the unit needs to be returned for an exchange or refund. But please note that it's a common issue on all brands.

Lynne B

Thanks for reply. I think it may be faulty. The sandwiches are flattened wherever I place them

Lynne B · Toast & Melt

I have a problem that rear of toaster plate does not sit at the selected adjustable height so sandwiches are squashed. I expect it to sit flat, that’s why I bought it. Very disappointed. Have seen pics in adverts showing it sitting flat on whatever height is selected.

Rovshan A.
Rovshan A. · Toast & Melt

Hi,the green light is not turning on. BSG520 Any help?

John13

If the unit is working normally, it's possibly the globe that needs to be replaced. Hopefully your unit is still under warranty so it can fixed by the manufacturer's service department.

ssesprit

My BSG520 takes exactly 3 minutes to heat up. There's a clicking of a relay and the green light illuminates. The relay click is the thermistor working and cutting the heat so as to keep the machine at a constant toasting temp. Now if your green light doesn't come on but the relay clicks after the initial three minutes , then the toaster will toast normally. And I personally wouldn't worry about the green light not working. But if you have concerns and the toaster is under 12 months old then get it repaired under warranty.

Ovadia F
Ovadia F · Toast & Melt BSG520

Is there a timer in BGS520, or it should be unplugged after the toast is ready?

John13

Unfortunately there is no timer or switch on the unit. One has to use the mains (wall) switch for on/off. Apart from that shortfall, it's a great unit.

Anil R.
Anil R.

It's odd that no power switch on these devices has become the norm. Why can't the manufacturer be obliged incorporate an appropriate over temperature monitoring circuit. Eliminating a power switch is a recipe for trouble. I see people plugging and unplugging these devices into power boards with no switches!

Aakanksha P.
Aakanksha P. · Toast & Melt

I recently bought BSG220 Sandwich press.
It gets too hot from outside just after one use. Is it usual or the piece I got is defective?

John13

It’s not your Sandwich Press. Overheating is a common problem for all Sandwich Press models and makes. None of them have thermostats - something I’ve been called for in my reviews for years. The only way around this, is to wait until the toasted sandwich just starts to go light brown - then switch off at mains and leave for a few minutes for the inner to cook through. Hope that helps.

Gary
Gary · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

Has anyone fixed the problem of the top plate lying at an angle when the gap is adjusted? I notice there are allen key slots at the hinge. Is there a spring in there or some adjustment that can be made.

John13

I don't think any adjustment is possible. I have the 2 Slice version and apart from the Allen Key assembly screws, there are no adjustment features on my unit as per your description. I have not encountered this problem - the top plate is a swivel design which straightens out on contact with the sandwiches. I found that placing the sandwiches to the rear of unit eliminates any issues with unevenly pressed sandwiches. Hope that helps.

Thanks, John
The tilting top plate is probably more pronounced on the four slice model

John Hartill
John Hartill · Toast & Melt

What is the main difference between the bsg520 and bsg220?

John13

The BSG520 is a heavy duty press, and heavier in construction all-round compared to the BSG220. Albeit not by much, the BSG520 can also do bigger sized sandwiches. I looked at the BSG220 and while its a good value for money item, it was a bit on the small side. I have the BSG520 and am very happy with it.

jane
jane · Toast & Melt

does this model have different a non stick surface from the Breville Maxi Press?

fiwi
fiwi · Toast & Melt

does the outside get too hot to touch? we had to throw out a different brand because the outside was so hot that it burnt my kids hand.

Chetwin L.
Chetwin L. · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

How hot can this get to

Sam
Sam

Hot enough to toast bread and melt the cheese inside

ray
ray · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

how do i register for 3 year warranty?

sydneymidge
sydneymidge · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

Hi. Does this have an on/off switch or does one have to reach over to turn off at the power point.

phil
phil

Hi, It has to be turned off at the power point.

sydneymidge

Thank you. That's not very user friendly as I would have to reach over the hot appliance in order to turn it off. It's quite a reach for me, being height challenged plus having to reach across the bench top to the power point.

I'll check out other brands. I appreciate your help.

.........Sydneymidge

Luke
Luke · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

Hi There,

We are looking for a Sandwich press for our office Kitchen. Our office manager is reluctant as they think they are a fire Hazard. Does this one have an auto power shut off similar to what some irons have?

Tam
Tam

You have to pull the plug out to turn it off. It's a great toaster though as it has a melt option as well as toasted sandwich, I haven't seen that with other makes

rrajasingham
rrajasingham · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

How does done have a toast without squashing the bread? If you adjust the height so the top place does not actually touch the top of the slice, the top is not toasted. so is the idea that you have to flip it after some time. We just find it doesn't toast plain bread as well as a pop-up toaster

cas22
cas22

I believe the sandwich maker is really designed for making toasted sandwiches with the filling in place or melts, ie a single slice of bread with a topping. If I just want toast I use my regular toaster.

Heather Buckley
Heather Buckley · Toast & Melt BSG520

How do I register for Warranty on my new Breville Sandwich Maker?

praksplay

I think it comes under breville warranty when you purchase it.

Nicky
Nicky · Toast & Melt BSG540 (4 Slice)

Can I toast vegetables like zucchini and peppers in the Breville Toast & Melt? How about hamburgers?

praksplay

Not quite. The grill doesn't heat up enough to grill veggies(but u can certainly lightly toast/warm them up). It also lowers its temperature automatically. But thats a good thing when it comes to toasting bread and pitas and flatbread cz if u forget to take it off it wont burn the toast or anything. As for the hamburgers, the meat patties a no no but u can definitely warm up the burger or lightly toast it(which the microwave clearly can't).

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Select a listing for your question
Breville Toast & Melt

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Breville Toast & Melt is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2022. Learn more