Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697

Bridgestone Dueler A/T 697 Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

37 questions from our users

Neilhohasked

So, is there and "Extra Load" version of this tyre?
Are 697s that are not labeled "LT" eg, 255/7015, different or not "light truck"; is there a physical difference?

No replies about needing to get bearings replaced on your vehicle to stop pulling to left and other irrelevant comments please

Jason C
Jason C

hi did you find out this answer, as I would like to know as well thanks

Ron Perrett
Ron Perrett

Tyres of the same size not designated LT are P (passenger ) tyres. They are a lighter construction, thinner sidewall, lighter gauges steel belts and generally a lower load rating. They are more susceptible to punctures and damage when run at lower pressures when off road driving.

Neilhoh

Ron P, am sure you are correct and i was ltaken for a ride by Bob J.

Suegary
Suegaryasked

I have 2014 Colorado LTZ dual cab utility and just fitted 265/65/17 697 Duellers to it in Broken Hill.{ They have covered about 3,000 km of challenging roads flawlessly , so far} I tow a Golf Savannah 499 pop top caravan {around 2 tonnes that has independent suspension but has 6 stud 15 inch alloy rims. I am thinking about fitting Mullins Dominator steel rims in 17 in size with Dueller 697 tyres . Will need to check off sets etc but the goal is to have wheels on van that will fit Colorado , are the Duellers suitable for the van in this size? We do a fair proportion of our travel on dirt/gravel roads . Previous tyres damaged on way from Mutawintji to Tibooburra which required leaving van in Tibooburra and doing the 660 km round trip to Broken Hill for tyres. Replaced all tyres on Colorado.

Shane
Shane

Hi, that sounds a smart idea to have wheels / tyres that can interchange. As to are they OK for your van size - I'm unsure, you would need to clear that with the manufacture or dealer I would guess. But I'll be replacing mine soon at about 75,000kms - and it would be over some of the hardest parts of Australia & never missed a beat. No punchers / issues of any kind. They did the job - and well. I'll be going to the Cape next year , knowing I've got good gear / tyres made for the job. So I think you'll have a good run on them - but you'll need to check spec's with the van dealer. Enjoy your travels - stay safe. Cheers Shane.

Ravi Sam
Ravi Sam

Hi Mate, unfortunately I do not have any experience about caravan matters. Only thing came in to my mind is since you are thinking of fitting bigger rim diameter it may effect braking efficiency. Generally vehicle manufacturers do not recommend more than 2% variations in tire outer diameter. That is being the reason for thinner wall profile being used when rim diameter increased. Yes, better check with the vendor of your caravan.

joe
joeasked

Are these tyres (a/t 697) ok for a 2008 Subaru FORRESTER OR SHOULD i LOOK AT h/t 687-ALMOST ALL CITY DRIVING; THANKS. jOE

SUN SUN

what tyre pressure do i run in my D697 265x65x17 LT

FocusFan
FocusFan

I run 40psi for general driving Bridgestone confirmed 38-40 is correct
I prefer a slightly harder tyre feel with a couple of extra psi and check pressure weekly

Frank from Oz

I run with manufacturer recommended for city driving which is 35psi in a Nissan Pathfinder. Freeway driving, longer trips & towing I run a few Psi more around 38 - 39Psi fully laden. For Off-road, gravel and mild corrugations at speed I'll run 25 -30Psi depending on speed and level of corrugations and potholes etc. Mud and soft sand like Fraser Island and Stockton beach I routinely run 20 - 25Psi. In really soft stuff where maximum flotation is needed I have been down as low as 10 - 15Psi with EXTREME care, as it's extremely easy to damage rims or roll the bead off the rim with sharp turns or potholes tree roots etc. So far never had any issues, tyre damage etc. A good guide on tyre pressures is to check the tyres temperature every now and then, especially on long high speed freeway runs in hot weather (Northern Territory summer it regularly gets well over 40C). Generally if the tyre is too hot, you can really smell the hot rubber, the sidewalls are too hot to touch, then your tyre pressure is too low and you need to pump up the pressure 5 psi or so, or slow down or both. Too much pressure is better than too low. Too low pressures risk permanently damaging or destroying the tyre, possibly leading to a dangerous blowout and an accident.

Frank
Frankasked

Are the Dueller A/To 697 directional or non-directional tyres?

Frank from Oz

Don't know of they are directional, I suspect they are not. But this is the 3rd set I've fitted and they have all had raised white lettering on one side only. So you could fit them whichever way you like but then only have raised black lettering and not the raised white lettering.

Dan C
Dan C

These are a non directional tyre. Always consider the direction of wear so don't rotate left to right only back and front.

transit van
transit vanasked

is it legal to run light truck tyres on the front and dueller at on the back?

Numb Thumbs

Jamieasked

What is the price on the DD LT 697s

jonny
jonny

Think the 4 were $1160 fitted with a wheel alignment and a $100 fuel card so pretty reasonable really

lesr63
lesr63

Don't know what size you're running but 215/65R16 on my wifes Forester only cost $900 fitted

Mikeasked

What pressure should i run when towing?

John Smith
John Smith

That will depend on what surface you are driving on and how much load the tow vehicle itself is carrying. I use 40psi on sealed roads with an average load. Lower the pressure for lighter loads off road. The tyres will then soak up more bumps and provide a better footprint for traction and braking.

BT50
BT50asked

I have a 2013 Mazda BT50 Dual Cab and the current factory tire is coming to the end. They are 255/70R16. I am trying to decide between MT STZ 265/70R16, BS AT D697 265/75R16, MasterCraft Coursca SXT or Generals RT2. First choice is MT's. I do about 30klms a year, mainly highway and some off road with the camper trailer. Any advice on the best tire for the BT50?

Thomas
Thomas

G'day mate what you need to establish is are the you after a more aggressive A/T such as the STZ or something more true to the A/T I had the general A/T2 on my Land Rover discovery S2 and the only thing that I hated was they'd get little rocks jammed into the tread pattern and drive you nuts on the highway unless you pulled up and physically removed them, don't get me wrong it didn't happen all the time but it did happen occasionally. I haven't been able to fault the BS A/T on our Colorado 7 and we are up to 6000klms and done probably about 2000klms dirt-sand-stones terrain and they still look like the day I put them on my mate has a 2011 BT50 with the BS ATD697 his done roughly 2500klm since fitted and hasn't reported any problems that others have spoken of on different model vehicles. As for the master craft I've never heard of them but ever since few years back when I put a set of nexen on my discovery I've tried to stay away from the lessor know brands of tires

Ted Nguyen
Ted Nguyen

Sorry mate but I don't have any experience on the other tires you are considering, only the Dunlop and the AT 697 because the Dunlop came with the original factory fitted and the AT were the ones that was recommended to me due to the longevity of the thread thickness. For similar price you should have a longer life span between the Dunlop and the AT 697. I have mine inflated at 40 psi front and 39psi and still feel the tires are soft on the road so the compound must be quite a soft compound. I would recommend you talk to the tire specialist who will be able to recommend the tires that will suit your needs.

dannycantwell66
dannycantwell66asked

we are doing the csr in august in 2009 pathfinder,what would the recommended tyre be?

80 series 4x4
80 series 4x4

D697's, great for sand due to a not so aggressive tread and a strong but flexible side wall.

Paul
Paul

Hey Danny, there's a great set of tyres out there but I think that Dueler A/T D697 with the reinforced sidewalls will certainly do you well. Good luck with the trip

rodney.johns1
rodney.johns1asked

bridge stone dueler a/t D697,are they non directional tyers /

Sandy
Sandy

Rodney, I got rid of my tyres. Check the reviews on D694 and D697 - similar noise comments, others refer to bad handling in wet. Perhaps you could message one of them.

lisbeth oppert
lisbeth oppert

Bridge Stone Dueler a/t D697 are non directional.

Hally
Hally

They are non directional. I have never had any issues with last two set. My broth drives a 200ser LC and changed to Coopers AT, he said he didn't like the BS AT in the wet. But he also has a very heavey right foot and he leave the braking till the last minute then has to brake heavy. So I think it is more to do with his driving than the tyres.

J.T.
J.T.asked

I have an 80 series landcruiser and need to replace the tyres. I currently run Yokohama geolandar a/ts. What all round tyres would you recommend for me? I do both on and off road but living in the desert need a hard wearing but also quiet tyre for bitumen.

Hi J.T,
I was after a LT construction tyre in my stock 255-65-R17 size, these were the only ones available. Having said that, I have found these to be pretty good on the paved stuff, wet or dry and wear has been good so far, including a weeks trip in the Tassie highlands on pretty ordinary gravel roads towing a boat (about 600km). Fit the right size for your cruiser, and keep an eye on tyre pressures and you shouldn't go to far wrong with any of the major brand A/T's. I can recommend these tyres from my experience so far based on the driving I do. I have been happily impressed with their low noise and comfort as its mostly town driving with the odd weekend in the bush. Wear is around 1.5-2mm after 26,000km. The only real issue is they tend to retain stones in between the tread blocks, but they do clear after a day or so. I have not tried them out in the sand as yet, that will need to wait for next fishing trip.
Cheers

elizabeth.pearcey
elizabeth.pearceyasked

What is the recommended tyre pressure for Bridgestone Dueler H/T 205/70 R15 96T?

Michael
Michael

Hi Elizabeth, generally you can have tyre pressure that varies from 35 to 40 psi. It depends how much load you have on it. The front tyres pressure may be the same all the time because the weight on the front of the car don't change much, I'd say 35-36psi. The rear tyres you have to understand that if you are by yourself in the car without load you can run 35 psi, but if you pack the car for holidays and have 4 adults you may have 40 psi. On the side of the tyre wall it should be the maximum tyre pressure advised by the manufacturer, and as far as your tyres are under that pressure you can vary it accordingly to the amount of weight you have on the car.
I hope you this help.

Buzz
Buzz

Hi Elizabeth. I won't comment on the recommended pressure because the tyre you are referring to is totally different to the tyre's that are the subject of my review. Recommended pressures vary greatly depending on the type of vehicle. It's best to use the pressures on your vehicle's tyre placard (usually a sticker on the door frame or in the glove box), or better still discuss with the shop that fitted them. My tyres are of heavy duty 'Light Truck' construction with a higher load rating and fitted to a 200 series LandCruiser. The tyre shop recommended higher pressures than those on my vehicles tyre placard in this circumstance.

Cheers guys, many thanks for your answers, both very valuable.

Alex
Alexasked

Has anyone tried Bridgestone Dueller D697 XL (Extra Load carrying capacity) tyres in the size 235/65R17? These fit Nissan X-Trail factory 7J rims and ? Porsche Cayenne if memory serves correctly. I can get this tyre in 8-ply as 225/65R17, though I suspect the heavier duty and slightly wider XL version probably has thicker sidewalls/plies and therefore better puncture resistance and probably less body roll.

If anyone has driven on the D697 Xl's in sand and/or mud, I'd like to know how they went. Does the reinforced sidewall reduce steering response and/or traction?

Thanks from Alex

tiger
tiger

Hi Alex, must say can't comment on the El but am running 697's on my Xtrail they are light truck rating and they sit nice and square. They as you would expect have much more presents under the vehicle compared to ht's. I recommend them are great on sand hope I've helped

shorty
shortyasked

Using 697's on a kia Sorento. Giving me a hard ride, but I just love Duelers. Due to bad spine I need a softer ride. Is there another dueler that will give a softer ride ?

Can't hep you with the Duelers, but back in my "younger" years I used to buy Yokohamas for my sedans. I found them to be a nice soft ride, but being a soft compound rubber I didn't get much more than about 40K kms out of a set of tyres. You may need to look at your suspension if you need a softer ride...

country66
country66asked

Have been comparing Bridgestone 604 to 697 tyres, time to buy some more, I have a Nissan Navara single cab 3.0 turbo (2005) have always had Bridg Dessert Duelers 604 205R16C, brilliant tyre, just find they get slippery on wet sealed roads (cornering / roundabouts), I do 50/50 dirt/sealed. This last set had some problems but was not the tyres but the tyre dealership hadn't calibrated their machine recently so after 3 visits I went somewhere else problem fixed. On bridgestone website the 697 tyre seems to have more features within the tyre, where as the 604 is brief, according to website 604 is better equiped for off road. The price difference is about $20. My last set the tyre were made in australia (printed on tyre) where I am told they don't make any more.....Has anybody used both types of tyres and what's your thoughts. Thanks

Malcolm  Hughes
Malcolm Hughes

I have the 697 at fitted to my 4x4 extra cab courier .Have only been on black yop so far done aprox 15000 ks they are quiet and show nil wear good in the wet highly recomend Mal

At a loss
At a lossasked

Just put these on my Patrol after 2 sets of 693's (great tyres and no problems). Vehicle now steering off to the left severely and would be regarded as unsafe. Wheel alignment and balance completed at time of installation. Has anyone else had this problem with the 697's and if so, how was it overcome?

Brad
Brad

Not the same tyres, but same problem, swap front left tyre and rim with the front right, if not fixed then rotate a tyre on the rim and try that. I would think that the treads are acting both in the same direction of centre!

Hydra.
Hydra.

I have also replaced my 693's with a set of Dueler 697's on my 2009 PK Ford Ranger. Not happy from the start. Vehicle was great to drive on highway with old tyres but after fitment of 697's pulled to the left significantly and steering shook. Also had a thrumming sound at 90 to 100 kmh. Did the wheel rotation thing moving tyres with the most weights to the back. After 13000 km had wheels rebalanced and a wheel alignment. Vehicle steering ok but still shakes and still has thrumming sound at highway speeds. Have now travelled 17000 km on these tyres but will be replaced as soon as i can find a good alternative. Annoyed.

roadcrew
roadcrew

Hi All,

Just bought a 2003 Mitsibishi Challenger 2 months ago. Needed new tyres, as had Chinese and some other strange brand tyres fitted to get RWC.
Planning biggish trip to the red centre next March so thought first thing, new tyres. Read up etc and looked like the Bridgestone 697LT's were a pretty good bet. Have driven about 400klms so far - the previous Chinese tyres steered dead straight but with that slight veer to left over a distance, as I thought it should be.
Put the new 697's on, and immediately pulling across to left.
Went to another tyre place, they swapped the front left for front right tyre/wheel, but still doing it. They also said needs bearings adjusted, as loose. Then take in for wheel alignment check. Will be doing this as soon as have the time and cash.
And will let you know so can compare updates with your experience.
I am annoyed too......