Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Great Customer Service

Had a blow on original Tyre on M1 motorway, so had to replace all 4 with new Bridgestone and totally satisfied with the product and service. Have gone in for third Tyre rotation with no hassles and quick turn around.

Purchased in November 2018 at Bridgestone Select Ashmore Gold Coast for $812.00.

Noise Level
Wet Weather Handling
Durability
Dry Weather Handling

Great all-rounder but pricey

These tyres came as OEM spec on a VF Commodore in 245/45R18. They have heaps of grip, good in wet weather (a big priority for me) and road noise is decent. I had to change the rears at 74k due to a flat tyre but they still had at least another 10k of tread left which is excellent. They were maintained at 38-40PSI. Overall a very good tyre. However they are expensive, was quoted $250ea.

Purchased in February 2015.

Noise Level
Tyre Mileage 73,000 km
Tyre Pressure Used39 PSI
Functionality
Wet Weather Handling
Durability
Dry Weather Handling

Great Tyres for performance Cars

1. Great performance tyre. Grips very well under all conditions (in Australia) straight line or corners, dry or wet. Even when it starts to lose grip you can feel it gradually sliding and easy to control. Stops well.
2. As mentioned by other reviewers the wear is not so good due to the soft compound. Noise is not an issue. If you wish to get more mileage from your tyres and you drive more sedately, then this is not a tyre for you.
3. 19" low profile tyre is expensive compared to other brands. Later in the car life I changed to a 'harder' tyre with slightly lesser grip and 60% of the Bridgestone tyre price.

CarHSV Clubsport R8 317kW (MY09) and owned car for 5 years

Great performance tyres that grip the road in any weather

...when on Potenzas the car will feel like it’s gripping the road with a vengeance - haha.

The difference is that tyres like Eco EPs or Michelin XMs are a harder compound i.e. they roll better, last longer - but rely on special tread patterns etc. for grip. The Potenzas on the other hand are performance tyres designed for great grip under a variety of circumstances - but because their grip eats up rubber, they wear out faster than Eco EPs or XMs.

Pumping Potenzas 3-4psi higher than usual can help them last longer the Bridgestone chaps’ll tell you exactly how much pressure to use - I’ve seen people pump’em up to 45psi for Holden Commodores. For example for a 3.5L V6 Accord around 40psi should do the trick.

If you drive around gently in the city mostly, then consider Michelin XMs, Primacy 3 STs or Primacy 4s. The Primacys are a good compromise between performance and mileage with the 4s being pretty awesome. So are the Bridgestone Turanzas and Eco EPs.

However, if you tend to swing your Accord V6 or other sporty car around corners, want good performance in rain and expect braking performance, then the Potenzas are amazing - just use a higher tyre pressure than you would for the others.

Happy driving!

Car2008 Toyota Aurion Presara 3.5L V6 (which had Michelin XMs previously and suffered in wet weather), currently using Potenzas on my 2008 Honda Accord 3.5L V6

Expensive - low wear

Drive same as any other tyre on any other car..we just drive highways etc..not hard in a 2010 BMW waggon
Durable - that is not a word I'd use for the 255/40r17 94w bs re050a rear wheel tyres we have to use.
They wear out before 30K, even with a wheel alignment as recommended after 10K use. That cost $65. Made no difference..at $345 a tyre and two need to be replaced each time. This lot lasted 27K. that's expensive driving.

Car2010 bmw waggon

Disappointing OEM tyres

This is my second set of BS RE050A as standard factory fitted tyres. Yes they are grippy on the road but that’s about it. They wear quicker than every tyre I’ve tried except the Kuhmo KU36. They pick up fatal screws, nails and bolts more frequently and are just not worth the price tag. There are much better performing, wearing and more bulletproof quality tyres available on the market than the RE050A, sorry Bridgestone.

CarMPS3, 370Z

Great Grip! Not so great wear.

The RE050A's were standard equipment on my car brand new. I bought it second-hand though (and with four different brands of tyres on each corner). After about four months of ownership, I put the Potenza's back on. Man! The performance was indescribable. The grip at each corner meant this car felt like it was travelling on rails. Slow down in wet weather? Nope, I don't think so! Easily able to do 110km/h with 110% confidence.
The only time the tyres didn't come good was on the Sturt Highway between Narrandera and Hay, after a massive downpour and a good two inches of water on the road. But then again, the only vehicles doing the signposted limit were super-heavy B-double trucks and proper 4WDs.

I've never taken this car to a track, and my driving style isn't what you'd describe as exuberant - so you can imagine my surprise when I was told last week, I need four new ones. That was only after 22,000kms! The outer walls are completely smooth.

When I bought them in 2014, the RE050's were around $400/tyre. Now my circumstances are different, and $1200 for four tyres is completely unaffordable.
So, the two critical questions are:
1) Would I recommend these tyres to a friend? Yes, absolutely! These tyres are phenomenally good!
2) Would I buy them again, with my own money? If money was no object, then yes. That said money is a major roadblock, so unfortunately, the next set of tyres to go on my car will not be these.

Car2009 Holden Commodore SS-V

Great for Mountain runs!

Absolutely love this tyre in all conditions and have given them a good/ hard run. Car hugs tight corners, even in the wet or loose ground. Long lasting, have had mine for over a year and they wear evenly with proper upkeep. Great pricing at Bob Jane (Buy 3 and 1 free)!

CarSubaru WRX

Good quality tyre for a fast four passenger vehicle

This tyre may not have the tightest traction off the mark, but it handles beautifully in wet weather and around corners. Highway travel is smooth and it is well matched for a 150-200kW performance vehicle. These are modestly durable tyres but they do show some signs of wear after only 5,000km of mostly gentle driving.

CarŠkoda Octavia RS

Very happy with this brand and model

I've got a Q60 Infiniti car and these tyres came with the car originally but 3 years ago I've changed it to another Bridgestone model which wasn't as good so a few months ago I've purchased this model again and it's wearing and handling very well, my experience shows that it's better to stick what came with your car in the first place as an original part of the car.

CarInfiniti Q60

delaminating

10000ks rear tyres worn out front tyres delaminating bridgestone says must be my fault never had problems with tyres before I'm 73 yrs old don't think I'm hooning,now looking for new tyres need help as if you read the reviews TODAYS tyres are all bad oh for the old days had a set of klebers on v8 ute did 160000 klms

Carholden commodore sv6

Second Set for the Mazda 6

Just replaced original set of 215/50R17 RE050A at 67000Km and just on the tread wear limit. I must admit though I don't drive them too hard and kept the pressures all at 36psi. Would have managed longer life if increased tyre pressure a bit more as wear is mostly on the outside of all tyres. An absolute amazing tyre in the wet and very quiet. Would have to be the best I've ever owned. My new RE050A are currently pumped to 45psi as that is the pressure Bridgestone has put in them. So far I'm finding the ride and handling better again with the extra pressure.

CarMazda 6 Hatch 2012

Great tyre

These tyres are both grippy and have excellent wet weather capability.

Sydney roads after a hot spell turn to ice levels of slippery after the first rain. The times I see people sitting on slopes wheels spinning! With the Bridgestone Potenzas I don't get any slip even with a fair amount of power I have in my V8 Commodore. Having had some cheaper tyres on previously I would not choose any other tyre than this now. Its standard spec on a new Commodore and provides excellent traction.

As one of the most critical pieces of the car (i.e. the bit that touches the ground) it does not pay to be cheap and these tyres are in my opinion the ones to go for full stop.

Car2007 VE Commodore SSV

Outstanding

The potenza is very durable it's a smooth ride it's excellent on taking corners especially on the race track it with handles bigspeeds stops on a dime grips very well on the road the racetrack surface is very good as well holds pressure in the tires the sidewalls are very strong outstanding stability

CarMitsubishi Lancer Evolution iix

30,000km travelled and many more kilometres left

I fitted a set of VF SV6 wheels with Bridgestone RE050A tyres, with delivery kilometres travelled only, onto my VE in May last year. 30,000km later and I am very satisfied with their performance.
I do a lot of driving for my work commute, about 40,000km a year - a lot of it is highway and 100km/h B roads. I neither been let down yet, nor have I encountered or exceeded the limitations of these tyres. I've only noted minor wear to the middle area of one pair so far, and I generally keep them at 40psi.
I project that I will see at least 50,000km out of these tyres, and if that eventuates, I will be happy with that. Its not the most that I have seen out of a set (I did get 65,000km out of a set of Federal Formoza FD2s I bought for my old TJ Magna) but I'll consider that I got my money's worth out of them.

Car2010 Holden VE Commodore Omega

Great tyres with plenty of grip.

I recently purchased a second-hand '15 Redline from a dealership, and the car came with the RE050A's. The car is nearly at 60,000 kilometres and the tyres were replace 10,000 kilometres ago, so the tread is nearly at 100%. The grip is monumental around corners, I feel as if I could push the car a lot harder if I wanted/needed to. Obviously in the wet it's more fun to be sideways but when driving in the rain I still feel safe and comfortable. Judging by the tread wear, the tyres are going to have a long life on the car, and so far they have been doing extremely well.

Car2015 Holden Commodore SS-V Redline

Great Tyres

These tires grip and last well considering the performance. I have these on 2 cars at the moment. I have bought other brands by mistake or if I am selling a car, but always come back to Bridgestone. Some say these are noisy but I disagree, I enjoy driving and like to know what is going on around me. I find these quiet enough, some of the worst tyres I have had have been very quiet but given no grip or feedback.

CarHolden Commodore SSV

They work well.

Have them on a Holden Redline V8 in 19 inch and they suit the car. Went from RE050 to Toyo and now back to RE050. They cost more but the rear end holds on much better. They are quite sticky and soft in the rubber compound so don't have a long life but they do stick to the road which is the most important thing for me with a big bore rear wheel drive V8.

CarHolden Commodore SSV

Great performer, good value when on sale

I purchased a set for my SS Commodore Wagon, price-beating at Kmart Tyre & Auto while Bridgestone had their buy-3-get-4th-free promotion. These are factory fitted to the MY17 and I like sticking with stock tyres when they're decent value - they seem to be pretty long-wearing if I behave myself when driving, and the wet & dry grip, straight-line or cornering, is excellent!

CarHolden Commodore Wagon SS MY17

Bridgestone tyres

Have found these Bridgestone Potenza tyres to be good wearing with a good looking tread pattern. Previous Goodyear tyres seemed to be less satisfactory. Seemed to wear a little unevenly. Will keep buying Bridgestone tyres for the present. Have used Yokohamas and Michelins and found them good also even though they are more expensive.

CarSubaru Liberty

Are they good for Honda accord my previous tryres are Bridgestone Eco EP100 225/50/R17 ?
Can't help you out there. Best to contact your local Bridgestone specialist.Yes, they’re great for your Honda Accord - compared with the Bridgestone Eco EPs, when on Potenzas the car will feel like it’s gripping the road with a vengeance - haha. The difference is that the Eco EPs are a harder compound i.e. they roll better, last longer - but rely on special tread patterns etc. for grip. The Potenzas on the other hand are performance tyres designed for great grip under a variety of circumstances - but because their grip eats up rubber, they wear out faster than Eco EPs. Pumping Potenzas 3-4psi higher than usual can help them last longer the Bridgestone chaps’ll tell you exactly how much pressure to use - I’ve seen people pump’em up to 45psi for Holden Commodores. If your Accord is a 3.5L V6, then around 40psi should do the trick. Keep in mind that with tyres, it is always a trade-off between grip/performance and high mileage/long life. If you drive around gently in the city mostly, then consider Michelin Primacy 3 STs or Primacy 4s. They’re a good compromise between performance and mileage. So are the Bridgestone Turanzas and Eco EPs. However, if you tend to swing your Accord V6 around corners, want good performance in rain and expect braking performance, then the Potenzas are amazing - just use a higher tyre pressure than you would for the others. I’ve responded late, but hope this’ll be of use to others.

Are these tyres still avaliable and how much are they? ?
Suggest you contact your dealer. Price will depend on size. Not sure whether they have been replaced but dealers seem to be pushing the RE002 instead for a similar price. Just replaced my RE050As with RE002. Ride is a bit harsher, noise levels similar, grip better particularly in wet. Said to also last longer. I guess time will tell.Yes they're still available...... but i wouldn't buy them! Very noisy.I've just put a set on 2 weeks ago .So yes they are available .They are good tyres . A bit expensive ,if you don't drive hard there are cheaper alternatives .Hankook is a very good tyre .I use them on my xw gt cruiser .Hope this helps.

Potenza RE050A