Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

• Dry Weather Handling
Deadlyderek

DeadlyderekSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Customer Service

Had a blow on original Tyre on M1 motorway, so had to replace all 4 with new Bridgestone and totally satisfied with the product and service. Have gone in for third Tyre rotation with no hassles and quick turn around.

Purchased in November 2018 at Bridgestone Select Ashmore Gold Coast for $812.00.

Noise Level
Dry Weather Handling
mekarls

mekarlsGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great all-rounder but pricey

These tyres came as OEM spec on a VF Commodore in 245/45R18. They have heaps of grip, good in wet weather (a big priority for me) and road noise is decent. I had to change the rears at 74k due to a flat tyre but they still had at least another 10k of tread left which is excellent. They were maintained at 38-40PSI. Overall a very good tyre. However they are expensive, was quoted $250ea.

Purchased in February 2015.

Noise Level
Durability
Dry Weather Handling
Undercover Brother

Undercover BrotherSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Great performance tyres that grip the road in any weather

Car2008 Toyota Aurion Presara 3.5L V6 (which had Michelin XMs previously and suffered in wet weather), currently using Potenzas on my 2008 Honda Accord 3.5L V6

Cam

CamSouth East Queensland, QLD

Disappointing OEM tyres

This is my second set of BS RE050A as standard factory fitted tyres. Yes they are grippy on the road but that’s about it. They wear quicker than every tyre I’ve tried except the Kuhmo KU36. They pick up fatal screws, nails and bolts more frequently and are just not worth the price tag. There are much better performing, wearing and more bulletproof quality tyres available on the market than the RE050A, sorry Bridgestone.

CarMPS3, 370Z
Jade

Jade

Great for Mountain runs!

Absolutely love this tyre in all conditions and have given them a good/ hard run. Car hugs tight corners, even in the wet or loose ground. Long lasting, have had mine for over a year and they wear evenly with proper upkeep. Great pricing at Bob Jane (Buy 3 and 1 free)!

CarSubaru WRX
Ryan

RyanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very happy with this brand and model

I've got a Q60 Infiniti car and these tyres came with the car originally but 3 years ago I've changed it to another Bridgestone model which wasn't as good so a few months ago I've purchased this model again and it's wearing and handling very well, my experience shows that it's better to stick what came with your car in the first place as an original part of the car.

CarInfiniti Q60

ColinBrisbane

Second Set for the Mazda 6

Just replaced original set of 215/50R17 RE050A at 67000Km and just on the tread wear limit. I must admit though I don't drive them too hard and kept the pressures all at 36psi. Would have managed longer life if increased tyre pressure a bit more as wear is mostly on the outside of all tyres. An absolute amazing tyre in the wet and very quiet. Would have to be the best I've ever owned. My new RE050A are currently pumped to 45psi as that is the pressure Bridgestone has put in them. So far I'm finding the ride and handling better again with the extra pressure.

CarMazda 6 Hatch 2012
Tom AS

Tom ASSydney

Great tyre

These tyres are both grippy and have excellent wet weather capability.

Sydney roads after a hot spell turn to ice levels of slippery after the first rain. The times I see people sitting on slopes wheels spinning! With the Bridgestone Potenzas I don't get any slip even with a fair amount of power I have in my V8 Commodore. Having had some cheaper tyres on previously I would not choose any other tyre than this now. Its standard spec on a new Commodore and provides excellent traction.

As one of the most critical pieces of the car (i.e. the bit that touches the ground) it does not pay to be cheap and these tyres are in my opinion the ones to go for full stop.

Car2007 VE Commodore SSV
MAX501

MAX501Punchbowl

Outstanding

The potenza is very durable it's a smooth ride it's excellent on taking corners especially on the race track it with handles bigspeeds stops on a dime grips very well on the road the racetrack surface is very good as well holds pressure in the tires the sidewalls are very strong outstanding stability

CarMitsubishi Lancer Evolution iix

Alastair

AlastairTownsville

Great tyres with plenty of grip.

I recently purchased a second-hand '15 Redline from a dealership, and the car came with the RE050A's. The car is nearly at 60,000 kilometres and the tyres were replace 10,000 kilometres ago, so the tread is nearly at 100%. The grip is monumental around corners, I feel as if I could push the car a lot harder if I wanted/needed to. Obviously in the wet it's more fun to be sideways but when driving in the rain I still feel safe and comfortable. Judging by the tread wear, the tyres are going to have a long life on the car, and so far they have been doing extremely well.

Car2015 Holden Commodore SS-V Redline
Wetwork65

Wetwork65Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Great Tyres

These tires grip and last well considering the performance. I have these on 2 cars at the moment. I have bought other brands by mistake or if I am selling a car, but always come back to Bridgestone. Some say these are noisy but I disagree, I enjoy driving and like to know what is going on around me. I find these quiet enough, some of the worst tyres I have had have been very quiet but given no grip or feedback.

CarHolden Commodore SSV
Herbert

HerbertMelbourne

Great performer, good value when on sale

I purchased a set for my SS Commodore Wagon, price-beating at Kmart Tyre & Auto while Bridgestone had their buy-3-get-4th-free promotion. These are factory fitted to the MY17 and I like sticking with stock tyres when they're decent value - they seem to be pretty long-wearing if I behave myself when driving, and the wet & dry grip, straight-line or cornering, is excellent!

CarHolden Commodore Wagon SS MY17

Shop at easter

Just bought a replacement set of Potenza RE050a awz 245/45/18 for our VE SV6. Original set did 72000ks, great handling wet or dry, long wearing, reasonably quiet tyre so I could recommend these for a similar vehicle. Bridgestone Easter special was $239ea and if you buy 4 you get 1 free, absolute bargain if you ask me for a quality tyre. Hope this helps.

CarHolden Commodore SV6
Wetwork65

Wetwork65Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Great Tyres - I have them on 2 cars

CarCommodore VF SSV (6.0) and Commodore VF SV6

High wear

I have had these tyres size 235/45 R18 for just under 2 years and have done 28,000 Km. Tread is now worn down to legal level. I drive a family wagon not a race car. Expected better wear than that for $255 each tyre, current price at Tempe Tyres in Sydney.

Car2012 Ford Mondeo TDCI Wagon

A Utelover

A UteloverGold Coast

Purchased my third set for my VF SS Redline Ute

Car2014 VF-SSVR Ute
Sparky

SparkySydney

Excellent tyre

These tires were originally fitted to my Commodore SS. Currently 58500 kms and tires still good for another 5000kms. Half my kilometers have been on highway. Very quiet and good handling in wet and dry conditions. Even wear; but important to rotate front to rear and maintain tire pressures on regular intervals. I use 36psi all round.
I will be replacing with same tires even though prices are a little expensive but you generally pay extra for better quality.

CarHolden Commodore SS
Didums

Didums

Less than 2 months and tread depth gone from 5mm to 3mm

Can't say they are durable. Bought 3 for 4 deal cost $720 dollars. Took car for service today and was told the Right Front one was only 3mm 7mm 5mm, the other three were all 5mm 7mm 5mm. Couldn't believe it, haven't hit any holes. Bought 29 April 2016, today is 16 June 2016. Never again. Will be investigating further. Was told to go and get another wheel alignment.

CarB180 Mercedes

gret grip, very noisy

i changed to these from yokahama c drives because i can't get them any more. the potenzas are great on the road, good grip etc and i drive a lot on windy country roads BUT the noise is nearly unbearable. safety wise they are excellent but not sure i would get them again due the LOUDNESS of them which is unfortunate because i do like them, but i don't want to end up deaf!

Car2003 vy holden
Hsan

HsanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great Tyres

These are OE on my WM Caprice V8. I have just fitted my third set at ~90,000km, so averaging 45,000km on them. Very good in the dry and wet. As asymmetric tyres they used to be relatively expensive, however price has come down, particularly at Bob Jane... wait for the 4 for the price of 3 offers.

CarWM Holden Caprice V8
See all Bridgestone Potenza RE050A reviews

Tyrone T.

Tyrone T.asked

I had four Bridgestone RE050A fitted to Ve Commodore SV6, noticed that three of the four wheels had no weights fitted at all is this normal?

Rajat

Rajatasked

Are they good for Honda accord my previous tryres are Bridgestone Eco EP100 225/50/R17 ?

Colin

Can't help you out there. Best to contact your local Bridgestone specialist.

Yes, they’re great for your Honda Accord - compared with the Bridgestone Eco EPs, when on Potenzas the car will feel like it’s gripping the road with a vengeance - haha.

The difference is that the Eco EPs are a harder compound i.e. they roll better, last longer - but rely on special tread patterns etc. for grip. The Potenzas on the other hand are performance tyres designed for great grip under a variety of circumstances - but because their grip eats up rubber, they wear out faster than Eco EPs. Pumping Potenzas 3-4psi higher than usual can help them last longer the Bridgestone chaps’ll tell you exactly how much pressure to use - I’ve seen people pump’em up to 45psi for Holden Commodores. If your Accord is a 3.5L V6, then around 40psi should do the trick.

Keep in mind that with tyres, it is always a trade-off between grip/performance and high mileage/long life.

If you drive around gently in the city mostly, then consider Michelin Primacy 3 STs or Primacy 4s. They’re a good compromise between performance and mileage. So are the Bridgestone Turanzas and Eco EPs.

However, if you tend to swing your Accord V6 around corners, want good performance in rain and expect braking performance, then the Potenzas are amazing - just use a higher tyre pressure than you would for the others.

I’ve responded late, but hope this’ll be of use to others.

leanne noske

leanne noskeasked

Are these tyres still avaliable and how much are they? ?

Noeleter
Noeleter

Suggest you contact your dealer. Price will depend on size. Not sure whether they have been replaced but dealers seem to be pushing the RE002 instead for a similar price. Just replaced my RE050As with RE002. Ride is a bit harsher, noise levels similar, grip better particularly in wet. Said to also last longer. I guess time will tell.

Dee
Dee

Yes they're still available...... but i wouldn't buy them! Very noisy.

Chris  m
Chris m

I've just put a set on 2 weeks ago .So yes they are available .They are good tyres . A bit expensive ,if you don't drive hard there are cheaper alternatives .Hankook is a very good tyre .I use them on my xw gt cruiser .Hope this helps.

CategoryPassenger Tyres