Top product!

Good product, have used several different brands over the years, this one is auick and simple.
Brings out the maubau grain nicely.
The paint did have sediment on the bottom (from sitting on bunnings shelf) but nothing a good quality paint stirrer couldn't fix.

By the way I used the BP gloss varnish, and it came up really good, after 5 coats.

Top products.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to review our product. We value your feedback and all the best for the next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Yellow deck, yuk

As per some of the other comments, we purchased British Paints Decking Oil, Natural finish, to go on our existing cleaned and weathered deck. Buntings consultant advised that it was a clear liquid but upon application it is a horrible yellow color, certainly not natural.
Returning this product to Bunnings.
Thank you.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Unhappy with colour, so yellow

I used BP water-based oil colour Natural on pine decking. It is bright yellow. It's awful and I'm so disappointed. How can I fix it? I've done two coats and each coat just makes it more yellow. How can I fix it? Can I go over the top with a different colour?

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Catherine, Sorry to read about your issue with Decking Oil. For Treated Pine and other lightly pigmented timbers, we recommend using (insert name of British Paints Decking Stain here if it's not just Decking Stain) and not Decking Oil. An oil is lightly pigmented and perfect for darker timbers such as Merbau or Spotted Gum. A stain is highly pigmented and designed to change the color of lightly pigmented timbers to have a richer appearance - perfect for Treated Pine. To darken the colour, apply one coat of a water based stain to your deck. For further assistance, please call us on 13 25 25. The British Paints Team

Sludge won't budge

I recently purchased the British paints water based decking oil. It looked milky muddy colour and had sludge at the bottom. After mixing for a substantial amount of time the sludge still did not decrease. Taking back to bunning to get a refund and buy Aqua deck as I know I won't have issues with that product. Not happy as my nearest Bunnings is over an hour away!

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi Tracey, Thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with our product. It is unusual for our product not to mix after a thorough stir. Sometimes our products can sit on the shelf for a while in store, causing the ingredients to settle in the container. We'd like to get a batch number off you and follow up to ensure we can help you achieve the results you are after. Could you please call us on 13 25 25 and quote reference number 4420290. The British Paints Team

Good can't complain

We used the " Natural " now 2 years on treated pine. Every 12 month and it is doing the job in my opinion.
I used a lot less after the first treatment. The decking is facing north on a Gold Coast Water way. I think water based is the way to go.

Lovely on dark timber at first - need to replace after 12 months.

Applied two coats of BP decking oil really easily to a merbau deck in Jan 2016, which brought out the merbau's lovely dark lustre. Within a couple of months it had gone quite dull, and now after 12 months the exposed boards have started to go grey and the coating has become flaky, which I will need to either acid wash or sand back and re-oil. I suspect that the UV properties in the oil haven't worked properly, which might be explained by the thick sludge I had tried to stir in. I was really hoping to get a good result from BP decking oil, but I'll re-oil with another product, which, with early testing on merbau, looks and feels more robust and protective.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Excellent product.

I purchased a 4 litre can of the water based decking oil from Bunnings, they kindly offered to shake'mix it up on their machine so all I had to do was the give it a stir prior to application, it was easy to apply and after 2 coats the deck looks brilliant, the product is far better than other more expensive brands.

Hi Brian, Thanks for your review. We're glad you're happy with your freshly coated deck. For previously uncoated timber, we recommend 3 coats of Decking Oil to make sure the timber is thoroughly protected. This might darken the colour a little bit, but it could be worth it in the long run. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call on 13 25 25

Won't Buy It Again.

I asked Bunnings to put tin on machine and mix it before I purchased. Then I stirred it thoroughly myself before using. Sludge at bottom was hard to mix through base. The coverage is poor. It looks crap on my old deck. The opacity is too pale to cover the old stains that you get on an old deck even though I power washed it first to try and get uniform look to start with. My thoughts are that you would only use this product on a brand new deck where the boards are pristine.

Hi Sam, We are sorry to read you were disappointed with the finish of British Paints Decking Oil. It sounds like you may need a stain for your deck. British Paints Decking Oil can be applied to any existing decking and it is a semi-transparent oil. As such, it typically provides limited hiding ability. Depending on your deck, it may have been required to scrub the deck with a timber cleaner prior to, and not just a power wash. We would also be very happy to discuss this further, and help understand how the oil was applied to your deck. So that we could provide you the right help in getting a great finish for your deck. Please call us on 13 25 25 and quote your reference number 4271790. Also its very important to note that we do not recommend putting decking oils into the shaker machine. A simple, thorough stir with a flat blade stirrer is all it takes on most occasions. Kind Regards British Paints Team

Will never buy a BP product again

After reading the previous reviews on this website I purchased the BP water based decking oil. When buying from Bunnings I got them to shake it up on their machine. Before using I stirred the oil with a paddle mixer only to find a thick mass on the bottom of the tin. I used a mixer fitted to a drill to dissolve the thick mass. I then used the paddle mixer again.i had some success but still there was some left. Decided to return decking oil to Bunnings. They opened the other tins which had different batch numbers only to find they were all as bad. Purchased Cabots aqua deck.

See all British Paints Decking Oil reviews

If you are doing 3 coats, how long do you need to wait to apply the third coat?
I have used the OIL based product and the WATER based product. The OIL based product was very good, but the WATER based product left a lot to be desired. I would not recommend it. Very thin and inefective. I switched to FeastWatson. Much Better. Three coats, each a day apart and it is still like day one. I switched to WATER based simply because the finish lasts longer.Hi Elodie, thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We’d love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Paints Team.

We applied the one coat decking oil to our new deck about 3 weeks ago. It was fine until it rained yesterday. There are now dark splotchy patches all over where it got wet and there are patches where it appears to have come off altogether. Is there a way of fixing the darker patches because it now looks terrible?
Hi Karla, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on our Decking Oil. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we really want to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 166892. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The British Paints Team.

Can the water based oil decking from British paints be tinted? Thanks Dave
Hi Dave, The water based decking oil can be tinted to Merbau or Jarrah. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 - Thanks! The British Paints Team

CategoryPaints & Varnishes