British Paints Decking Oil Water Based

• Ease of Application
  • Coverage
JRoy

JRoySydney, NSW

Perfect, deck is back looking as new.

Used other brands over the years, tried this for the first time and i must say I am really impressed. Applied 2 coats, took some time to dry. A low sheen finish is impressive.

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$68.00.

Painted SurfaceWood
Usage
Finish Quality
Ease of Application
Coverage
James S.British Paints

Thank you for your feedback! It's fantastic to hear that you have had a great experience with our product. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any help or advice down the track - The Help and Advice Team

Icathler

IcathlerQueensland

Sludge

I just got this product and it won't mix. Sludge at the bottom that you can barely scrape off and won't mix with the rest. Wish id reviewed before as this problem has been mentioned for 3 years.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$59.00.

DuluxBritish Paints

Spike

SpikeSunshine coast

Top product!

Good product, have used several different brands over the years, this one is auick and simple.
Brings out the maubau grain nicely.
The paint did have sediment on the bottom (from sitting on bunnings shelf) but nothing a good quality paint stirrer couldn't fix.

By the way I used the BP gloss varnish, and it came up really good, after 5 coats.

Top products.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
NickBritish Paints

Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to review our product. We value your feedback and all the best for the next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how British Paints Decking Oil Water Based compares to other Paints & Varnishes

Yellow deck, yuk

As per some of the other comments, we purchased British Paints Decking Oil, Natural finish, to go on our existing cleaned and weathered deck. Buntings consultant advised that it was a clear liquid but upon application it is a horrible yellow color, certainly not natural.
Returning this product to Bunnings.
Thank you.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Catherine

Catherine

Unhappy with colour, so yellow

I used BP water-based oil colour Natural on pine decking. It is bright yellow. It's awful and I'm so disappointed. How can I fix it? I've done two coats and each coat just makes it more yellow. How can I fix it? Can I go over the top with a different colour?

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Garth M.British Paints
Tracey

TraceyFar North Queensland, QLD

Sludge won't budge

I recently purchased the British paints water based decking oil. It looked milky muddy colour and had sludge at the bottom. After mixing for a substantial amount of time the sludge still did not decrease. Taking back to bunning to get a refund and buy Aqua deck as I know I won't have issues with that product. Not happy as my nearest Bunnings is over an hour away!

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Garth M.British Paints
Norman Steffen

Norman SteffenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good can't complain

We used the " Natural " now 2 years on treated pine. Every 12 month and it is doing the job in my opinion.
I used a lot less after the first treatment. The decking is facing north on a Gold Coast Water way. I think water based is the way to go.

Screffy Juff

Screffy JuffMelbourne

Lovely on dark timber at first - need to replace after 12 months.

Applied two coats of BP decking oil really easily to a merbau deck in Jan 2016, which brought out the merbau's lovely dark lustre. Within a couple of months it had gone quite dull, and now after 12 months the exposed boards have started to go grey and the coating has become flaky, which I will need to either acid wash or sand back and re-oil. I suspect that the UV properties in the oil haven't worked properly, which might be explained by the thick sludge I had tried to stir in. I was really hoping to get a good result from BP decking oil, but I'll re-oil with another product, which, with early testing on merbau, looks and feels more robust and protective.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Brian.

Brian.Wanganui

Excellent product.

I purchased a 4 litre can of the water based decking oil from Bunnings, they kindly offered to shake'mix it up on their machine so all I had to do was the give it a stir prior to application, it was easy to apply and after 2 coats the deck looks brilliant, the product is far better than other more expensive brands.

garthBritish Paints
Paints & Varnishes

Won't Buy It Again.

I asked Bunnings to put tin on machine and mix it before I purchased. Then I stirred it thoroughly myself before using. Sludge at bottom was hard to mix through base. The coverage is poor. It looks crap on my old deck. The opacity is too pale to cover the old stains that you get on an old deck even though I power washed it first to try and get uniform look to start with. My thoughts are that you would only use this product on a brand new deck where the boards are pristine.

Sarah S.British Paints
Steward

StewardGold coast

Will never buy a BP product again

After reading the previous reviews on this website I purchased the BP water based decking oil. When buying from Bunnings I got them to shake it up on their machine. Before using I stirred the oil with a paddle mixer only to find a thick mass on the bottom of the tin. I used a mixer fitted to a drill to dissolve the thick mass. I then used the paddle mixer again.i had some success but still there was some left. Decided to return decking oil to Bunnings. They opened the other tins which had different batch numbers only to find they were all as bad. Purchased Cabots aqua deck.

See all British Paints Decking Oil reviews

Elodie H.

Elodie H.asked

Decking Oil Water Based

If you are doing 3 coats, how long do you need to wait to apply the third coat?

Bill
Bill

I have used the OIL based product and the WATER based product. The OIL based product was very good, but the WATER based product left a lot to be desired. I would not recommend it. Very thin and inefective. I switched to FeastWatson. Much Better. Three coats, each a day apart and it is still like day one. I switched to WATER based simply because the finish lasts longer.

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Hi Elodie, thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We’d love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Paints Team.

Karla

Karlaasked

Decking Oil Water Based

We applied the one coat decking oil to our new deck about 3 weeks ago. It was fine until it rained yesterday. There are now dark splotchy patches all over where it got wet and there are patches where it appears to have come off altogether. Is there a way of fixing the darker patches because it now looks terrible?

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Hi Karla, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on our Decking Oil. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we really want to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 166892. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The British Paints Team.

Dave

Daveasked

Decking Oil Water Based

Can the water based oil decking from British paints be tinted?

Dave

NickBritish Paints

Hi Dave,

The water based decking oil can be tinted to Merbau or Jarrah. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 - Thanks!
The British Paints Team