British Paints Decking Oil

58 questions from our users

Jane

Janeasked

Decking Oil

Hi. Can you please suggest what the ultimate drying time is for the second coat before you can walk on it properly and without any stickiness? Thanks

andrewasked

is 10 litre the smallest stain or oil for treated pine you make

whats availiable

DuluxBritish Paints

Hi Andrew, thank you for reaching out!
Please visit the following links for size availability on both stain and oil in our Timber Protect Range
Available 1L & 4L
Available in 1L & 4L and 10L
Hope this helps! - British Paints

thankyou

s cooper

s cooperasked

Decking Oil Oil Based

hi , i want to darken the fretboard on my electric guitar , it is made out of new zealand pine , i want it be a dark walnut or teak colour ,cheers stephen

Icathler
Icathler

Use Intergrain. Its a far superior product

Hi S Cooper
Thank you for reaching out! We suggest the following application apply 1 coat of Feast Watson Prooftint Traditional Stain http://www.feastwatson.com.au/consumer/products/product-details/1520, allow to dry, then apply Feast Watson wipe on poly http://www.feastwatson.com.au/consumer/products/interior/product-details/1512 for best protection over the stain. If you have any further projects on we here to assist you please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525 option 2. Our operating hours are from Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm and Saturday 8:30am. Hope this helps! - British Paints

Gavin K.

Gavin K.asked

Decking Oil Oil Based

We have a brand new Tallow Wood deck. How much will this oil charge the colour? We want to keep it light and golden.

James S.British Paints

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Gavin! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 3), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! The British Paints Team.

Ralph Painasked

Decking Oil

I'm thinking about a decking oil for post and rail timber fencing. Of course, the treated pine posts and hardwood rails have a rough surface. Thus far I have realised that I do not need a barrier paint, and also that the oil (or paint) must be sprayable rather than brushed on. One option I'm considering for the fencing is Stud X because it soaks into the wood and allows it to breathe. An advantage of a decking oil, though, is that it also allows the wood to breathe and I can keep the natural colour of the wood, whereas the Stud X is black. But my prime concern is long-term endurance of the fencing so I'm prepared to sacrifice the colour. I'm also wondering whether a water-based 'oil' is better for fencing than oil based. Could you please advise whether a decking oil would be good at keeping the fencing timber healthy for many years out there in the weather?

James S.British Paints

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Ralph! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! The British Paints Team.

Thank you James!

Graham D.

Graham D.asked

Decking Oil

Hi I’ve built an indoor deck there is no weather to affect the decking . I’m using jarrah finger joint decking and have only just bought it . Do I still have to wait a certain amount of time to use the water based decking oil . I tried one piece of decking , it was smooth before I applied the oil now it seems rough to touch after about 3 hrs . Will another coat tomorrow make it less rough or does it need to cure further

Eamonn

Eamonnasked

Decking Oil

Where can I buy water based decking oil in my area

Eamonn

Eamonnasked

Where can I buy the water based oil in the Avalon NSW area

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Eamonn! You can search for your local store here: https://www.dulux.com.au/find-a-store, otherwise please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25, and they may be able to assist you! - The British Paints Team.

DuluxBritish Paints

Hi Eamonn, thank you for reaching out, we no longer manufacture this product. Alternative product to consider is British Paints Timber Protect Decking oil water-based and available from Bunnings Narrabeen, please visit this link to assist you with product information. https://www.britishpaints.com.au/paint-products/woodcare/timber-protect-decking-oil-water-based. If you need further assistance with your project, please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm. - British Paints Team

Don S

Don Sasked

Decking Oil

I have half a can of Cabot's aquadeck and half can of British paints water based decking oil can I mix the two together cheers Don

Don S

Don Sasked

Decking Oil

Can l mix aquadeck and British paints water based decking oil together cheers Don

DuluxBritish Paints

Hi Don, thank you for reaching out to us, we do not recommend you mix these two products together, as we can not guarantee its consistency, appearance and durability. For further information please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST. - British Paints Team

dick

dickasked

good afternoon
I am erecting a treated pine deck with the intention of using british paint oil based decking oil.
Please advise how to prepare the timber for the oil without going through a natural weathering period
Thanking you
Dick

max

I used a solution of napisan . spread with a soft broom ,leave for about 10 to 15 minutes and then thoroughly wash off. suggest trying on an off cut first. let dry and apply oil as per instructions on can.

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Dick! Wed love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), quoting your ticket number 257974 and they will be able to answer all of your questions! The British Paints Team.

Marie G.

Marie G.asked

Decking Oil Oil Based

Can you use EnrichTM deck and exterior timber oil on outdoor timber furniture? The timber is teak and Keruing.

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Hi Marie, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We’d love to help you with your project, and hope that you could give us a call at your convenience so we can ask you a few more questions. Our Help & Advice Team are reachable on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and are available Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST. We look forward to assisting you further with your outdoor timber furniture – The British Paints Team.

Elodie H.

Elodie H.asked

Decking Oil Water Based

If you are doing 3 coats, how long do you need to wait to apply the third coat?

Bill
Bill

I have used the OIL based product and the WATER based product. The OIL based product was very good, but the WATER based product left a lot to be desired. I would not recommend it. Very thin and inefective. I switched to FeastWatson. Much Better. Three coats, each a day apart and it is still like day one. I switched to WATER based simply because the finish lasts longer.

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Hi Elodie, thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We’d love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Paints Team.

Steward05

Steward05asked

Decking Oil Oil Based

Hi BP - we have been leaning towards "October Brown" as an oil based for our treated pine fence,
but a friend of ours has used your Timber Protect 10L brown stain.

i know there is always a difference in colours between oil and water based - but is there any chart of colours BP have that i can get an idea of how close the colours are / could be.

it might just have to buy a example pot

Adsuds

Adsudsasked

Decking Oil Oil Based

Where can I buy British Paints Oil Based Decking OIl?

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Hi there! Thank you for your message! You can purchase our British Paints Decking Oil at your local Bunnings store! You can find your local store here: https://www.bunnings.com.au/stores?msclkid=dd3372996b87176052752eb034b9b240&gclid=COHA2szkyN8CFUJsvAod27QAQA&gclsrc=ds. - The British Paints Team.

bunnings

Karla

Karlaasked

Decking Oil Water Based

We applied the one coat decking oil to our new deck about 3 weeks ago. It was fine until it rained yesterday. There are now dark splotchy patches all over where it got wet and there are patches where it appears to have come off altogether. Is there a way of fixing the darker patches because it now looks terrible?

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Hi Karla, thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on our Decking Oil. We are so sorry to hear that you are having some issues, and we really want to help. Please contact our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and quote your ticket number 166892. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST – The British Paints Team.

iload driverasked

Decking Oil Oil Based

The deck looks dry but my fingers get a film of oil on them if I wipe them on the deck. This is 24 hours after finishing the second coat of oil based. I only put a thin coat of oil on the deck. Is this normal and how long should I expect it to be like this?

Hi There,

Depending on where you are located, it may take a few days for the second coat of the oil to dry, because it is winter at the moment.
In good weather, the oil would have soaked in and be dry within 24 hours.
If the first coat was applied heavily, then the second coat would also take longer to dry, because the second coat would sit on the surface longer before soaking in.

The best solution is to leave the coating to dry for a few more days. If this is not an option, then wiping off the excess will help speed up the drying. The can use cloths or a dry applicator pad. Hope this helps!
Regards, The British Paints Team.

iload driverasked

Decking Oil Oil Based

It says 12hour recoat time for oil based on the bunnings website. Unfortunately the British Paints website doesn't list the application info from the can.
Can you recoat after or before 12 hours? 12 hours is an impossible recoat time unless you want to recoat under torch light at night time.

Hi there,

The 12 hour recoat time is the minimum dry time for the product. You will be able to apply a second out anytime after the drying window. Hope that helps and if you need further information, feel free to call us on 13 25 25. Regards, The British Paints Team.

the slave
the slave

On the can,of the British Paints oil based decking oil (natural) it states, under Application Allow 18 hours between coats

iload driver

British paints... why do other oil based decking oils have recoat times of 2 hours? I'm just really interested in the formula of ingredients and the science about it. Is it tung oil in this product? Is the long recoat time because of it having more kerosene of turpentine than other products?

Renaud

Renaudasked

Decking Oil

I’ve already stain my merbau timber but it’s not glossy what can I do to make it shiny?

Hi Renaud,

Regarding your Merbau decking, there is a product called Feast Watson Wet Look Decking Oil that gives a glossy finish. Please contact us on 13 25 25 and we can discuss the correct preparation steps required to ensure you get the look you are happy with. Regards, The British Paints Team

Helem

Helemasked

Decking Oil

How to remove dog urine stain from merbau deck?

Hi Helem,

Has this occurred before or after using decking product? If you get the chance could you call us on 13 25 25 and we can gather more information to assist. Regards, The British Paints Team

Get an answer from our members and British Paints representatives