Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (5)
    • 2-4 weeks (3)
    • 1-2 months (21)
    • 3+ months (36)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (13) · No (65)

Iris Wang
Iris WangSydney, NSW

Bad experience with Budget Direct

The policy purchase was easy but you only feel pain when start to claim. I bought the home insurance with building insurance. But when I claim they said the roof is not insured.

Brad W.
Brad W.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Appalling Customer Service

After many years of being a customer with Budget Direct, and having never made a single claim, my contents insurance was cancelled due to a missed payment following a credit card issue. These clowns refused to reinstate me on my usual pay by the month payment plan, but still had the nerve to refer to me as a “valued customer”. Spent a good 20 minutes being patronised by the customer service operator over one single oversight despite my many years of being a paying and no claim customer.

I’ve taken my business elsewhere. There is no shortage of other providers happy to cover me given my record.

Customer CareBudget DirectSend a private message

Nice and cheap, then it all went downhill.

Weeks of waiting for tradesman to come and look at water damage. Finally turned up unannounced and he insisted that my son let him in to look while we weren’t there. Didn’t even get up on the roof to see where the water was coming in then advised Budget Direct that it was due to a leaking toilet and we didn’t do anything to fix it. No option for us to argue the claim rejection even though an independent plumber fixed the problem and knew it was caused by storm damage. Had to pay the plumber, fix roof, ceiling, paint and carpet out of our own money. Nobody would listen to us or even look at a report from the plumber we used.

Sam
SamGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Claim Process

Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

Very poor experience

Made an online claim but was never put through. Waited 2 weeks for someone to call and I had to call them. Their ‘professional builders’ that inspected my bathroom, stated condensation in the report. I gave them videos of water coming in before the report but wasn’t taken into consideration. Their resolution was to clean the mould and re paint the ceiling. Will do anything not to cover claims. Over 2 years I’ve been with budget direct. They offered me $1000 to resolve my complaint. I have canceled both my home and car insurance with them because all they have done is take from me

sbkSouth East Queensland, QLD

never again. go with someone else.

been with them for years, with multiple policies, when trying to claim for storm damage they were absolutely awful. no communication, subcontractors turning up randomly, without doing anything and promising stuff that then doesn't materialise, dragged on for month without any resolution or communication from their side - read phone call after phone call from your side trying to chase an update, and also rude on the phone.
very efficient when they take your money, horrendous to deal with when you need them. find someone else.

sbk

was told by one of your representatives, you do not have a complaints department, it just gets reviewed by a supervisor. I'm over it...

Premium increase

Over the past 3 years my premium has increase from $1700 to $2400 to $6000!
Rang them to discuss and all the could say is that’s the new price of the policy. First customer service lady kept talking over me, 2 lady was much more pleasant and tried to help as much as she could. Ended up canceling my policy and went elsewhere.

Super Funds Awards 2022!

super-funds-awards-2020
Credit Card Awards 2020

credit-card-awards-2020
What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

what-is-peer-to-peer-lending

They took my money but then told me my home wasn't insurable

Leo
Leo

Awful communication and absolutely pointless

House damaged after heavy rain. Submitted a claim which took Budget Direct 5 months to come to a conclusion which was to cancel my insurance.

Wasted my time with all the clunky delayed communications and four on-site assessments. The worst possible result which could have been handled much more appropriately. Now I am paying for damages out-of-pocket and trying to find a new insurer which will undoubtedly be double the price because of the cancellation.

BGK
BGKQueensland

Terrible communication and now a more than double the price monthly premium on renewal

MelissaNorth Western Region, NSW

Consistent Mistakes being made on my policy UPDATE: Please read my update, it gets worse

Hi Cameron
After much heartache and frustration of the last 4 weeks , it was finally sorted out today.
Regards

Dmitri I
Dmitri ISydney, NSW

Unfair assessment and claim refusal disregarding the evidence. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

JackVictoria

Don't purchase for LANDLORD insurance

Jack

Eve - this post has been pending in "mediation" for 2 weeks and you did nothing about it. I have already supplied you the details as you requested 2 weeks ago. Why are you asking for this information again?

Golden L.
Golden L.

Good at taking your money, but not good to pay you back when you make a claim!

Nazila AghaieSydney, NSW

Poor claim handling

The claim officers lie and lie and keep you wait telling you, we believe the builders underquoted and underestimated the damages to your home, that is why we need to re investigate to pay the right amount so you won't be out of pocket! but at the end they just killing the time and waste your time and refusing the claim. They have amended the original report from the builders/investigators/inspectors and re word it the way to reject the claim and not paying you. be careful who yo dealing with. they are the biggest liars i have ever seen as a professional company. not trustable.

Too late!
U got my name, u can search it urself!
Just wait for more reviews! That’s the start!

Melissaasked

I just found out that I'm not insured until they take payment even if my renewal was done 2 days ago, someone please confirm this, I contacted my bank to see why my payment hadn;t been taken yet and she told me until the insurer takes payment I am UNINSURED even if my renewal has been done. I need a answer from someone ASAP. Thank you.

Hi Eve
Your reply has come to late !!! so don’t bother thank you.

Sare B.
Sare B.asked

Are air conditioners covered

John Hesko
John Heskoasked

My contents insurance wat am I covert for

GAYE J.
GAYE J.

If with BD virtually nothing. They will deny all claims and stall for over 6 months and then you need to go to AFCA which are funded by the insurance industry so on their side. You are better to get insurance with a better company

See all Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and Budget Direct representatives

In addition to Home & Contents Insurance, you can also get Home Insurance, Contents Insurance, Landlord Insurance, and Renter’s Insurance.

What do reviewers think of Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance?

Reviews for the policy have mostly been positive, with the majority of reviews being 4or 5 stars. Among positive reviews, how easy it was to lodge an application online with Budget Direct was praised.

Reviewers also liked the patient and friendly customer service representatives who were there to answer all their questions and help them decide which limits they wanted. Those on this insurance also liked how they could opt out of things they didn’t need, such as flood insurance.

Some reviewers did mention that the claims process was lengthy, to both lodge and have a claim processed. There were also a few users who didn’t like the sharp increase in yearly premiums.

CategoryHome and Contents Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Car, Health, Home and Contents, Landlord, Life, Pet and Travel