Bupa Health Insurance

Bupa Health Insurance (page 2 of 29)

Incompetent Staff and signs of desperation

I have been with BUPA for 17 years and during all this time we had minimal use of the health policy other than dental. As we are low risk we decided to cancel our policy and make alternative arrangements. We were told we cannot cancel and they hung up. It appears their 'Retention' Department is so desperate to hang on to its membership. They have no idea about ways to 'Retain' their clients. They have to offer incentives throughout the membership for loyalty if they wish to retain their clients. Refusing to cancel a policy in my opinion is desperation.

Book AgainNo

the worst company to deal with, almost impossible to make a claim

they make really hard to make a claim! always something goes wrong with the app you with the website and then you need to go in some office! them if you work full time you cant get any refund! they are scammers
the worst company to deal with!!

Horrible experience- STAY AWAY

I was looking for a comprehensive health insurance for my time in Australia for me and my partner. We opted for the cover with BUPA which was 265 AUD / Month. It felt good to know that if something goes wrong or we got sick we could visit a hospital without having to worry too much. After a couple of months, I had an infection on the right eye which required immediate medical attention. Nothing too serious, but that is exactly what a health coverage should be for. It was diagnosed as Mircorbial Keratitis, which is nothing out of the ordinary, just a bacterial infection. I had to visit the hospital on three occasions, each visit, I had to pay 150 AUD in advance, so not a big bill, but I trusted that I would be reimbursed for these expenses. Sadly, this never happened. They told me that I had to prove that the infection was not a previous condition, which it was not, and I had to contact a specialist in Germany as well as my GP for a complex form to fill out, in order to prove so. My specialist simply told me that he could not fill the form out, because I had not visited him for over two years (not having any problem with my eyes before, that is not surprising) Sadly, MyBUPA failed to understand that and never reimbursed me.

But not only that. I then tried to cancel my membership with BUPA and oh my god. I have, by now written 5(!) message with them, i received a confirmation that my membership was cancelled just to get other messages that they will deduct the next fee in a couple of weeks. I paid over 1800 Dollars for a health insurance which did exactly nothing for me when I needed it, and when I wanted to cancel it, they try to get even more money out of me. Simply outrageous.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Profits before People - Don't get caught so look elsewhere.

Since they changed their policy conditions, BUPA discriminates significantly against patients in rural and regional locations with their Gap scheme. Before contemplating any surgery I would strongly recommend checking your policy very closely to locate a specialist nearby. In my own case this was more than 300 km away and my condition did not allow me to travel that far without significantly adding to my pain and discomfort. Fortunately I was able to see a specialist close by but unfortunately he did not participate in the BUPA gap scheme which cost me greatly. They only paid the minimal amount towards the surgery so my out of pocket expenses was huge even tho I supposedly had top hospital cover. I am now switching to a Members Own fund )after 20 years with BUPA) which would have covered my claim.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim DateMarch 2017

Terrible unfair system

My daughter needed her wisdom teeth out and was told she need to have it done in hospital. Using the identical information except provider number the rebate came back as $1481 if done in dentist or $396 if done in hospital. We had already paid the excess tor the hospital which I didnt have a problem with as we chose to have excess. I cant understand how there can be a $1000 difference simply because of who does the op. I think having preferred providers should be banned and the rebate should be the same regardless. I couldnt go to Harvey Norman and get charged $6000 at counter A but only a $1000 at counter B because John is a preferred staff member. They also originally only gave me $198 as someone mucked up.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Money taken, no cover provided and arrogant overseas call centre support

I am existing Bupa member for nearly 8years and purchased an additional overseas visitor cover for my father who is visiting Australia for a short duration. The online chat assistant happily took my credit card details for the purchase of the cover. Its been 15 days since then and no membership details have been sent. On calling they wont talk to me as the cover is in someone else's name. For the first time I also got to speak to a rude overseas customer support. They wouldn't log a complaint for the persons rude behaviour.
I am quite disappointed by their behaviour and will switch provider for my health cover but am stuck on the overseas cover for my father. Believe have to go to ombudsman on this.

Book AgainNo

Bupa is the health insurance company out there

We called about our level of cover several times, we did not know what exactly was covered under pregnancy and whenever we called we were told only in-hospital procedures, but that hospital admissions were covered. So we took off the pregnancy cover and then found out that we were having a baby but we assumed because we were advised by bupa several times that we were covered for hospital admissions. 5 weeks before I due to give birth I received a phone call from the hospital saying that bupa wasn't going to cover the admission. I called bupa and asked them why and they said because I wasn't covered fro pregnancy. At this point I paid for the obstetrician myself and all bupa had to cover was the hospital admission which I am covered for under my hospital cover. They said that I would need to speak with customer relations. I spoke to customer relations, the lady that I spoke with was passive aggressive and said that she would have to have my previous phone call listened to by a reviewer. I should I have a result in 3 days, I received no call after 3 days and then she told me when I did call that they had no result. That in that phone call they could hear that I was confused. So I would have to wait for another 3 days for another review. This went on for 3 weeks until she came back and said that they were not going to cover my hospital admission even after saying that I could have my original cover reinstated if I paid the difference of $1200. SO after 6 years of being with them I'm not covered for anything and they are the worst health insurance company out there. Do not go with Bupa, go with another company, one that values its members and treats them well. I have since left them and I have not looked back.

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

Not only they took your money....

When I realised they overcharged me, I have to go through hundreds of calls and escalations to get them to refund then they decided to put the refund to the account which I no longer used despite I spent hours on the phone with their customer relation and provided the bank details which I wanted they deposit my refund but it did not happened, they made a lot of b...sh excuses that they have to manually processed the refund then started to play the blamed game between customer relation and financial team. Be careful if your money, they will deposit your $$ into their own account

Being transferred everywhere

I visit the Bupa service centre to cancel one cover and make a claim on another cover on Monday. I filled in two forms and the staff said they will be processed on the day. However, I did not hear any feedback till Thursday and my cover is still ongoing. So I decide to call Bupa. I start calling at 8.30 am.
The first call, I just started talking, the phone was hung up for some reason.
The second call, the staff asked me is mandarin better for me to communicate. I said yes, then I was transferred to a voice mail!!!! I call this early just so I can talk to staff without waiting too long.
I called the third time, I was transferred 4 times to be with the right person to speak with. Once she knows I need to cancel my cover, she tried to sell me another cover, even though I kept on saying I don't need another cover now.
Then she said how about you buy an ambulance cover which will only cost a couple of dollars per week. Even I said I don't need, and she kept on saying WHAT IF I need it. I said I PAY FOR THE AMBULANCE!! Eventually, she realised I won't pay for anything and she cancelled my cover.
This is not the end of the story. I need to make a claim on another cover. So she transferred me to another person. I was transferred another 3 times to speak to the right person to make the claim.
The staff said the claim was made TODAY!! And will take another couple business days.
Once the money is back, no more Bupa. Period.

Claim MadeNo

Recommended for a fair price

Shrivani was very informative and friendly with her customer service.
Michael was also very informative and friendly with his customer service. Both have excellent customer service skills. Well done to both of them

Seek alternative providers

Taking Australia Insurance Industry reform as an excuse, Bupa added to the list of exclusions which I was previously entitled to. I Joined Bupa as my employer provides subsidy through Bupa and I paid high premiums on top of that for more than 6 years. Recently, they have excluded Hip and Knee replacement and cataracts treatment from my entitlement, while significantly increasing my premiums. Called their call center and was on the phone for more than half an hour, only to listen to the same excuse that "we did this for the interest of our customers so they pay lower premiums!". Not only they dropped my entitlement, they now ask me to move to the higher level Gold cover, pay more, and also have 12 months waiting period for what I should be entitled and have paid in excess of 30 K in the past 6 years. I will switch to another Insurance provider and have also reported them to our company admin and recommended to seek an alternative.

Book AgainNo

Why have a customer centre if there is never enough people to meet demand

Turned up again today, exactly midday (I work) to beat the rush - finally seemed to be only a few people in front. Waited for a while, nothing, so having supplied my phone number to notify when they are ready, went to Dymocks where I spent a lovely 15 minutes browsing for a book I did not need - went back, still same queue length, went to Pavement and reviewed every item of clothing - went back and still same queue length. Asked a Bupa person how many people were working, she was off to lunch which left two, told me to try the booth of ground floor. Went down, two people, no queue after two clients finished, which they did but customer person told me he couldn't serve me because he had been called upstairs because (drum Roll) they were busy. FFS please get your customer service servicing - will now do my own comparison and hopefully find a better option That.is.not.Bupa

Book AgainNo

When you come across a good thing.......stick to it!!!

I recently joined Bupa and had an appointment with the dental clinic at Liverpool. I am so pleased to advise how extremely impressed and satisfied I am with the reception staff, Dr Komal Jaiswal and his assistant. The surgery is very impressive with the latest equipment, clean comfortable and inviting and Dr Komal is one of the kind!! He is caring, informative, patience and listens.
I was so happy to have him look after me and I'm lucky he is my dentist!

Claim MadeNo

Cover was ok, premium got too high, cancelling was a most unfriendly experience

No problems with cover. After research I found a similar coverage for about $1000 pa less. Only wish I had investigated the market options years ago. Cancelling the policy ended up being a totally rude and unfriendly experience. Avoid BUPA like the plague or even if you have the plague

Happy with my cover

I have been with bupa since I was born (over 26 years now) and have had a couple issues but have for the most part have had good service especially in regards to claims. Always had top hospital and top extras. Was a very sick child and had everything covered. I’ve now had 2 surgeries in the last 5 years both totally covered with my choice of providers. Fantastic since I live in a rural area they also covered some travel costs. I have unlimited dental cover and a good amount for physio, acupuncture and optical. I have had issues with them accidentally canceling my cover when I was a student 3 years in a row even though I had never missed a payment and also some issues with them not updated my cover to remain top in everything when my old cover became redundant but I have found if you check once a year to make sure you’re still getting the best deal and they haven’t get a new plan that’s better then you can be assured your getting a fair go. Sure health insurance is expensive but i’d Rather pay 3k a year then have to wait 2+ years in the public system.

Horrible service

Been with Bupa just over a month and all I can say is what a joke for a company. I have now cancelled anything to do with Bupa they have absolutely no idea how two communicate to there customer's or themselves for that matter.

Rip off

I have paid $5700 in premiums since I joined in 2017. A few weeks ago I had to see a doctor with emergency condition. It was a public holiday, all GP practices were closed. I went to emergency at Sandrinham hospital. I paid 580 being said I can claim that back. After processing my claim Bupa reimbursed 215. It’s s joke. Rip off. They are taking high premiums and return peanuts. Don’t join. I will discontinue my membership.

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Bupa cuts my services again and increased premium. It’s time we use our financial power and leave in droves

I have just received a letter stating yet more cuts to the services I can claim on and an increase to my premium. I have been with Bupa for 20 years, but it’s time I look for a better deal. After the cuts last year and now this new round of cuts, it’s clear you are greedy Bupa. You will regret not looking after your loyal customers. Goodbye.

Book AgainNo

Not good value for extras

Extras cover repays on a very small percentage of your costs (around 20%) unless you use one if their "members first " affiliated providers (in which case you can get 60% back). This leaves very little choice as the selection is tiny (even in hobart ) and I find it hard to find a good provider for half my extras because of this. We won't stick with BUPA. We found NIB extras gives a back 60% from the provider of your choice every time. Much better.

Plan CoverageExtras Only

Bupa Targets the Elderly

Have been with Bupa for decades. They have advised me that they are once again increasing my premiums and decreasing my benefits. As I am old, they are decreasing the benefits I am likely to require e.g. hip replacements and the like just as I am needing them. They told me if i want this cover now I will have to increase my premiums by over 40% and wait one year for the benefit to be available. This of course circumvents the weak and pathetic Government legislation that caps the amount of increases Bupa can levy for one year. Bupa have told me they have the right to do this, and thus they can do as they wish. A recent post mentioned the word scam. As an old couple I am paying nearly $4K per annum for virtually no cover at all, a total waste of money. As Bupa is a for profit organization, I understand the logic of insurance. Their actuaries no doubt have advised them that old people cost money and to reduce their benefits and increase their premiums, but to do this in a confusing manner that tricks victims into thinking that they have some kind of cover, when in fact they do not. Bupa needs new young people to join but needs to rid themselves of old people and the Government allows this. You have been told. Look at these reviews if you are in any doubt.

Insurance claim madeNo