Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

4.3

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (8), 1-2 weeks (16), 2-4 weeks (5), 1-2 months (1) and 3+ months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (32) · No
Narelle K.

Narelle K.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Amazed

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Claim DateDecember 2020

kerryGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Pathetic service and cover

Was originally denied my claim stating its Pre existing when he hadn't ever been to the vet for the issue. Proved that and got hit with a huge excess meaning I still got jack crap back. May as well go back to the policy people I was with

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Cody A.Bupa

Do not sign up to this scam

Seriously, do not sign up with them. My dog got a huge laceration from an accident, had to get some surgery, paid $240 upfront for staples etc. Bupa covered nothing, absolutely nothing. The whole deal with the excess means you can’t get anything back. My insurance was about 20 bucks a month, which is 240 bucks for a year, may as well have saved that money and not gone through the headache of having to make the claim. Seriously Bupa, you guys are awful.

Viv Y.Bupa

So fast and easy!

Just made our first claim and was surprised how quick and easy the process was! Submitted photos of invoices through the online portal and the money was in our account in less than 2 business days. We were reimbursed the exact amount we anticipated after looking through our policy. Having the excess deducted from our refund made the process so easy too. No complaints here, would definitely recommend!

Claim DateAugust 2020
Ryan K.Bupa
Rob D.

Rob D.Perth, WA

Nice and fast claims

No issues. Claims done quickly. Phone wait too long nearly 50 mins so done online. That was easy. Great job. Stay fast, convenient, honest and easy to use. We want convenience and you’re it.

Claim DateMay 2020
Jack

JackSydney Surrounds, NSW

Insurance, good value for money, staff were pleasant and easy to deal with, when I contacted them . Reimbursement of vet fees were paid promptly. Could not be more satisfied with the product.

Claim DateApril 2020

Unexpected

We had to claim a large expense for our dog and were happily surprised to receive a larger than expected refund . It has been worth having bupa pet insurance !! Our policy is certainly good value

Chyrel S.

Chyrel S.

Pet insurance claim

Had a good experience with phone calls dmd explained online claims well. My claim was completed and refunded within two days. I was so happy with my BUPA Pet Insurance as Id never had a claim before

Claim DateOctober 2019
Marisha R.

Marisha R.Perth, WA

Disappointing - Pet Insurance Customer Service

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJuly 2019

Find out how Bupa Pet Insurance compares to other Pet Insurance

Takes the pain out of claims

Claim DateJuly 2019
Rosie

RosieHunter Region, NSW

Fabulous and thank goodness for my insurance

Claimed for my Cocker Spaniel surgery and some consultations. After my vet released the notes the payment for the claim as smooth and effortless. I submitted everything online and when I called them the operator was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Deb

DebCentral West, NSW

No time waiting

I made a claim for my Great Dane online. I attached my receipts from the vet and vet notes for his condition. Was very simple to do. Within a matter of days I had the money that I was entitled to reimbursed to my bank account. The last claim I made through a specialist in Sydney a year or so ago was exactly the same. I am very happy with Bupa and I think their yearly rates are very good also.

Claim DateApril 2019

Pet insurance

I have had a few health issues with my fur baby recently and had to pay a large amount for her care. Bupa pet insurance was very quick in regards to paying me back 80 percent of the total amount back into my account. Making a claim is so easy to do online yourself through the Bupa web site. I highly recommended Bupa for your pet insurance.

Beaglier Owner

Beaglier OwnerSydney, NSW

Glad we had insurance for this year

We had quite a few issues the past year with our Beaglier. First a Ruptured ear drum, then removing a lump and lots of follow up appointments at our local vet as well as at Sydney Uni Vet Hospital. Our dog was well looked after each time but it was an expensive year for her. It worked out well for us this year, and having the insurance left us ahead $500 (as opposed to if we didn't have the insurance this past year).
Lots of paperwork to lodge, but once it's all done BUPA paid us very quickly.

Number of Pets-1 pets
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Louie

Louie

Cruciate ligament

Pleased with the service but the process was a bit daunting. The policy said he was covered but this didn't happen easily. A lot of paper work done by my vet. Why is claiming for pets not as easy as claiming for oneself?

Nicole

NicoleGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good policy that is expensive and paperwork heavy

Each claim requires paperwork completed by the vet. Should be easier for us and vet. Would like more paid back to us. I've been with them for 4 years and premium has increased. Phone support is offshore anr the staff werent familiar with basic pet anatomy.

Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Disappointing. The claim covered less than 75% of the surgery. My pet recovered before they paid out the claim.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Jude

JudeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best Pet Insurances

This insurance is good value for our valuable pets but most of all it’s a sensible policy. Responsible pet owners are listened to and assisted so that their pets can be given the best care because animal care is so expensive. Communication is great, claims are quick and reasonable. After horrific experiences with other companies in the past I will always use BUPA.

Claim DateMarch 2019
Jules

JulesSydney, NSW

Cannot emphasise the value of pet insurance enough

Tania

TaniaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Happy with Service

I am very surprised at the service provided by Bupa Pet Insurance. My claims were easy to put through online and processed without any delays. I would highly recommend this insurance.

Claim DateApril 2019