Domestic, Premium, Platinum, Essentials

Taylor

TaylorSydney

Cant get an answer

The company cannot establish if you are covered without proceeding with a full claim with claim managers only available in the week. This caused significant distress following a family death trying to understand the best course of action at a difficult time. I would never insure with them again and will be changing health insurer also as a result

DestinationAustralia
Claim MadeNo
Insurance Cover ForAdult and Child

I will never use BUPA!

I usually use BUPA when I travel overseas but last year when I tried to make a claim due to the fact my flight was delayed by 15hrs which meant I lost 1-day accommodation & my car transfer was missed to due my flight. BUPA said I could not make that claim because it was a a technical issue with the airline. Is this not the reason why we buy travel insurance????

Trent

Trent

Misleading policy

My flight was delayed in Vietnam overnight for 18 + hours. I had to urgently get to Sydney and took another flight, thinking (based on the policy) I was covered for delayed travel. Some pages of the policy stated: “canceled or rescheduled travel” unlimited for singles. The fine print unfortunately meant that if the carrier has delayed due to engineering reasons, I wasn’t covered at all for the alternate flight I purchased. Also I had to chase up the CGU end of the operation to get any clarification, they weren’t overly proactive about getting in touch.

Puna

PunaLong Jetty

Conditions not covered.

Disappointed to find out that BUPA Travel Insurance (CGU) was not able to cover my pre exisitng condition although I have not had problems doing so in the past either through BUPA or alternate travel insurers.

Gretchen F.Bupa Financial Services

Hidden exclusions in travel insurance. I'm going back to RAA.

Tess S
Tess S

I do not know how to private message you, Sarah. I've lost $170 but I am happy in knowing I may have stopped some others from mistakenly thinking cancelled flights are covered and to consider this before taking out insurance with BUPA. Thanks anyway.

Gretchen F.Bupa Financial Services

Hi Tess, thanks for your message.
I have sent you a private message in which you can reply to.
Thanks,
Sarah

StevePerth

Very Poor

Currently going through a dispute process. It was to my surprise that the travel policy is not BUPA but unwritten by CGU. Dealing with the representatives was stressful, and it felt like the first instance was to reject a claim irrespective of the details and the circumstances. I only went with BUPA because I have Health Insurance with them. I shall be reviewing that policy now based on them washing their hands of the claim.

Steve

Please provide me your contact details and I shall contact you directly. Thanks

Gretchen F.Bupa Financial Services

Hi Steve, I have just sent you a private message.
Thanks,
Sarah

Patrick

Patricksydney

Incredibly poor experience with BUPA

Fed up of BupaCranbourne East

Total rip off!

It is only good as an accident policy, I was told this by one their customer consultants themselves! I was also told that even if the policy holder is not aware they have a certain condition, ALMOST ALL claims will be considered as pre existing...EVEN IF THE POLICY HOLDER IS UNAWARE OF THIS INFORMATION.

Beware of getting a visitor plus extras cover. It is absolutely useless.

Hi Claire,
I am happy to discuss this further. It would be great if you can provide me your email.

Wendy FSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst travel insurance

This is the worst travel insurance ever, do not use it as they do not help you when overseas... I was stuck in Tanzania pooing blood and they did nothing. I couldn’t contact their phone number, so I sent the info back to family in Australia and they submitted it on my behalf, we had to seek medical advice and get ourselves back to Australia. I am submitting my claim and they better pay up....I will be making a formal complaint to them. Wendy

November 11th 2017 Update: Still waiting for a phone call

I placed a complaint on this page, I received a message asking for my contact details that was five days ago, I’m still waiting for a call to be made to assess my complaint...not happy....

Wendy F

I will but could you supply me with your private message details please

Wendy F

Erin I need your message details

Find out how Bupa Travel Insurance compares to other Travel Insurance

Travel insurance that doesn't cover valuables while traveling

Bupa's travel insurance is worthless when it comes to claims. Their policy clearly mentions that electronic items are covered by their non-medical insurance: "14.1: If the policyholder has chosen the Non-Medical Option, the Company shall compensate the insured for the following items belonging to the insured on his/her travel outside his/her country of permanent residence: baggage,
electronic equipment, cash, tickets, credit cards, drivers license, securities and passports."
Yet when I tried to claim for my damaged camera, they have refused to compensate me.

Information Request

I am an Expat Aussie, living in the USA. As I was returning to Australia for a temporary visit of 5 months I inquired whether you had a policy available for this purpose. A few responses and then left hanging. Was only trying to spend my money in Australia instead of the USA company I usually use.

To late.

bluecat

bluecat

Frustrated.

It is a Scammer

I bought a travel insurance for traveling overseas Jan 2017. The insurance policy was covering different things including Overseas Dental with $200 excess, I had an emergency situation with too much pain and had to fix it just to avoid pain to come back Australia, I claimed and they said we only pay for accidents or in some situation like someone punch in your face !!! why someone should punch in my face and I need to insure myself for punch? Í travelled almost 40 countries for wildlife photography which most of them are dangerous and never someone punched me. What do you mean?

HASHEM
HASHEM

You need to explain it while customers call you to buy an insurance OR explain it clearly on the policy you send to customers, Its the reason people call this behaviour: SCAM

CraigPerth

Bupa Travel Insurance - CGU

walkal21670

walkal21670Peel, WA

Don't buy

Booked travel insurance for domestic travel. Agent went to jail for fraud after we had paid our deposit. We thought great we have insurance. BUT NO they wriggled and wormed their way out of paying for our lost deposit. Underwritten by CGU Insurance. Biggest waste of money save your money. Not very helpful at all. Would not go through them again. Took 6 months of fighting with them and taking it to the Odbudsman for them to wriggle out on a very hidden clause in the PDF.

Sarahcom

SarahcomSydney

If it's not a scam, I don't know what it is.

I paid around the $300 mark for travel insurance with Bupa. My partner (who is also covered) got sick on our holiday so we had to pay for the doctor's fees and medication fees. When I call to make a claim, turns out the excess is more than what the fees are combined. So what on earth am I paying travel insurance for? If it's not a scam, I don't know what is.

Jule

JuleBrisbane

Disgusted

Absolutely disgusted that my mobile phone was not covered for being lost on public transport (taxi) but if I had of lied and said that someone stole it out of my bag on the beach it would of been covered ... What a disgrace for insurance companies not to cover this for families ...

Extremely Disappointed

Hi Ian,
So sorry to hear about your experience. As per my private message we have passed your details on to our customer care team who will be in touch soon.
Regards,
Holly

Terrible let-down and appalling outcome!

I will never use Bupa Travel Insurance again. Their emergency number didn't work from Morocco and they left me stranded and unhappy in a country far from home. Read the fine print and don't expect loyalty to amount to any understanding. I will never use Bupa again!

Najet
Najet

You misspelt my name. Funny how you can pay so much attention to detail when referring to the fine print in your policy but you can't even get the customer's name right.

Gretchen F.Bupa Financial Services

My apologies Najet. We are looking into this issue and I have passed your details on to the customer care team who will be in touch soon.

Vivian

Vivian

Do Not Use Bupa

gul b.

gul b.asked

Bupa Travel Insurance

Will it cover my pregnancy ? A C-Section in USA I will be travelling US to give birth so will cover the delievery ??? What are the conditions and procedure

Phil

Philasked

Bupa Travel Insurance

I am travelling to Thailand for an extended stay as I do each year.
I own a motorcycle over there.
Yes I have an Australian motorcycle licence and a Thai motorcycle licence and wear a helmet.
Now my concern.
I worry about lying on the road somewhere after an accident and being taken to a private hospital
Am I covered for private hospital?
I need a policy that will cover private care because the public hospitals are bad
Even Thai people say they might die in public hospital system.
Just need peace of mind that if something happens I can get good emergency treatment at a private hospital
Phil

Sharon
Sharon

Hi Phil, It might be better to talk to BUPA themselves as our particular policy said that we weren't covered for quad bikes or motorcycles in Bali. They were great when we asked questions so hopefully you can give them your scenario and they will give you a direct answer.

Hanum

Hanumasked

Bupa Travel Insurance

Hi there, may I ask if non-Australian is eligible for the BUPA travel insurance and does it covers pregnancy? I'm a Malaysian and going to Australia for holiday. I'm looking for travel insurance that can cover pregnancy while in Australia.

Get an answer from our members and Bupa Financial Services representatives

Compare all 4 Bupa Travel Insurance
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Car, Health, Home and Contents and PetCar, Health, Home and Contents and PetCar, Health, Home and Contents and PetCar, Health, Home and Contents and Pet
UnderwriterInsurance Australia LimitedInsurance Australia LimitedInsurance Australia LimitedInsurance Australia Limited
Maximum Age Covered 85 years old85 years old85 years old85 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot Included
Accidental Death$25,000$15,000Not Included$10,000
Emergency DentalUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot Included
Pregnancy (max weeks) 24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks
Resumption of Journey $6,000$2,500Not IncludedNot Included
Hospital Cash Allowance$50 per day, up to $6,000$50 per day, up to $3,000$50 per day, up to $1,000Not Included
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot Included
Loss of Income$10,400$6,500Not Included$4,500
Permanent Disability$25,000$15,000Not Included$10,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $500Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Delayed Luggage $750$500 after 10 hoursNot Included$500
Credit Card Fraud$3,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$2,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$1,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$500 as part of Travel Documents cover
Travel Documents / Passport $3,000$2,000$1,000$500
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (Laptops or Cameras)$1,500 (Laptops or Cameras)$750 (Laptops or Cameras)$1,500 (Laptops or Cameras)
Luggage & Personal Effects $15,000$7,500$3,000$2,500
Ancillary
Personal Liability A$2,500,000A$2,000,000A$1,000,000A$1,000,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $5,000$3,000Not Included$4,000
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any size
Domestic Pet Care $650Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included