Canon Pixma MX926

• Printing Speed
  • Reliability
spitfire99

spitfire99AU

Good value, versatile, capable home office printer.

Had this printer for a few years now and it has not missed a beat. I have gone through 3 or 4 sets of ink and like the versatility and many features, perfect for a home office. I like that I can use it as a wi-fi printer from anywhere in the house using tablet or PC. Only complaint is the length of time and noise it takes to start printing while it prepares, but once it starts it is quick enough. The inks costs are reasonable if value packs are bought online and the printer is very capable for the purchase cost.

Purchased in October 2016 at CPL - Computer & Parts Land for A$139.00.

argus tuftSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Excellent - for 4 years -then

I loved this printer for 4 years....
I have written and printed many times a book using this printer.
I have printed countless CD disc labels - and they look a lot better than my hand writing them.
I have printed countless 4x6 and A4 photos and they were colour perfect.
Then I went away for three weeks and turned the power to the printer off.....
When I powered up again I kept getting a B20 error message, a print head issue.
It cost $100 new on a price matching special and when I replaced it there was nothing available that printed Cd disc labels

Purchased in April 2015 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$100.00.

Jim Box

Jim BoxSouth East Queensland, QLD

Cannot recommend it

The machine started displaying fault codes right on the 2 yrs warranty expiration. Spoke to the dealer who said the Printer cartridge needed replacement but the cost would not warrant it.
I have had it with Canon printers. They are unreliable

Purchased in March 2017 for A$389.00.

William P

William PSydney, NSW

Canon MX 926 Printer. Wish Canon quality was as good as it used to be.

This is my second MX926. Only used at home.The print quality is good, BUT slow to connect to computer and again with this printer, I get window which says the printer needs repair. The same happened with my earlier MX 926 and the cost of repair was more than a new one. So I went for a new one. Worked just fine for the first year, now I have the same problem.Sorry Canon, after many years of purchasing cameras and printers, this will be the last. Pity, in the past Canon produced good products. What has happened?

Purchased in April 2017 at Bing Lee Online store for A$191.50.

OZSYD

OZSYDSydney

Unreliable and poor design

Worked for two years with no major issues. Then the message B200 ( that seems to be common among Canon printers) started appearing intermittently for a while and then very frequently. The most annoying part is that the scanner does not work if there is a problem with printer - an intentional design or oversight. The brother and Epson models that I know of do not have this problem. In the past the canon printers have worked well for me but now I will discourage family and friends from buying canon printers.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Peter

PeterMelbourne

JUNK!

Had very little use and now when I turn it on, I get error code B200 which means the print head is broken. Not only that, but it will not even allow me to scan or fax which does not require the print head! Complete waste of money! I've tried all the possible fixes online, all to no avail.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Mel.

Mel.South East Queensland, QLD

Disappointing model. Canon MX 926

MX926 has been ok for 12 months. Office works purchase. Yes does consume ink at a high rate and seems to be forever checking/cleaning itself (i.e 'wait momentarily'!).
But now, system says 'Printer not responding' when trying to print from computer. Have tried all the fixes without success. Has also developed over last two months, double printing each letter in words every 4th or 5th line and prints shaded lines across prints of pictures. Have replaced all inks.Genuine Canon inks used always. Never had a paper jam. Very much unimpressed with reliability and consistency. Yes , a waste of money and more importantly TIME! This is our third Canon printer... will purchase some other brand now. Pity.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Big, bulky, slow and slower!

Len1010 is 100% right! the 926 is an utter lemon, truly a clunky, s-l-o-w piece of junk. Further, I print nearly all b&w, yet this thing burns through the color cartridges. I need to type at least fifty words for this review, so suffice to say I will not buy another canon, and I will be making sure that the brand I do buy is not owned by canon.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
st03281301

st03281301

Waste of Money

Wow, this printer is a waste of money - how cheaply is this printer/scanner made. Was trouble after a short period of time. Don't waste your money. Purchased Feb 2017. Aug 18 it's now scanning with lines down the middle of pages. Waste of space. It's noise even when you ask for it to print on silent/quiet mode.

Len1010

Len1010South East Queensland, QLD

Big Bulky slow and slower!

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Praxad

PraxadSydney

Poor quality printer

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Darwinist77

Darwinist77Victoria

Slow, drinks ink like its water

This printer goes through cartridges like they grow on trees. Every time you start it, it does a head clean and recalibration that takes at least a minute, often two, before the printer is ready to use. Regardless of whether you leave the printer on, or have just turned it on and waited the 2 minutes for it to do its startup checks, it does a full recheck and recalibration before it will begin printing.
I am on my second Canon MX926 in 3 years: I purchased the second one because I had only just purchased new cartridges for the first one, when it unexpectedly stopped working (showed an error that said to restart, but that did not fix the error either).

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Best Printer I have had for home use in 25 years of IT Engineering

Does more that most printers, Double sided print and scanning, CD's and photos
Connects easily with my complex home WIFI System
Individual ink cartridges can be bought online very cheaply ($10/cart)
Have not had jam even printing double sided on very thick paper
Double sided copying
Good supporting software
Excellent 4x6 photos.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
James

JamesHunter Region, NSW

Very Happy

Bought this printer just on four years ago. Used Canon ink until warranty ran out, then used generic ink (I refilled purpose bought empty cartridges). I have also used compatible cartridges with no problems. It works every time I switch it on. No problems with double side printing, copying, printing on CD/DVD's. No hassles setting it up initially either. The only thing that I would have liked to see on it would have been automatic switch on when I go to print anything. Easy enough to manually switch on, but more convenient for auto switching (especially when previous Canon printer had it as a feature).

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Shanon

ShanonDarling Downs

Free to give away - mx926 printer

Never, ever, ever buy a canon anything This thing is so slow to start up I can prep a meal - but has a nice message on the readout "Wait a while..." 5+ minutes is over the top bad. To shut down even worse. Put 10 pages into ADF to double side print. Well, this thing went into overdrive and scanned real quick. Now I have page 9 backing page 11, etc. Guess the rest are somewhere in a parallel universe trying to find a home. Print quality not bad. Scanning as slow as a galloping snail.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

BobG

BobGBendigo

MX926 is junk.

Print quality is good, but to make a simple scan of a document is ridiculously time consuming. No clear simple start button as per the previous 800 series models. Just hate it. Then there was error code B200, where nothing can be done but to replace it. I only had the machine working for 2 weeks and it had to be replaced. Got on the web and hundreds of others had the same problem. Avoid buying this printer. And all the superfluous stuff like the "Garden", FFS totally useless and unwanted. Too complicated with unnecessary features, but it prints really good until the B200 error code appears. The person I spoke to in Canon admitted there were a lot of problems with this printer.
DO-NOT-BUY.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Martin T.

Martin T.

The one I use works reliably.

Print quality has been great.
Scanner workers very well in the one I have
Hardly ever jambs
Replaced a HP which was quicker to fire up, however had to go with Canon as the HP equivalent at the time
was incredibly slow to get started. This MX926 is much faster.

One thing to minimize ink usage from cleaning - always have the unit plugged into a live power point - shut it down using the on button by holding it for ~2 sec.
Print every few days and the printer will not go though a deep cleaning cycle.
Happy With Mine.

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Jenny

JennyMelbourne

Happy with my printer

I've read the review of this printer and thought I better post an opposing review. I've had my printer for about 6 months and in this time I've done a lot of A4 and A5 printing. I love the double sided feature and how it prints. Yes the scanning component could be better however overall I'm quite happy with my little printer.

Adrian M

Adrian MPerth, WA

Has been working really well. Scanning and printing

I fought with an Epson printer for 6 months. After 3 returns, I got JB HiFi to change out for this Canon as really the only option with double sided scanning with ADF as well as reasonable printing quality.

It has worked really well.

Only odd thing is that the paper tray comes out the 'side' and so takes up room in the office as the device isn't small.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Waste of money

After 13 months this printer stopped working. I used orginal ink. I used my previous cannon printer resonable enough, but not this one. Moreover, from time time the ink size is reduced from 12mm to 9. Cannon needs to consider customers satisfaction. Its customers are its assets. I expect an improvement from the previous time, but i got worse.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

John Davis

John Davisasked

Suddenly only printing blank pages from computer and iPhone. Plenty of ink and have rebooted several times.

John Davis

John Davisasked

Not picking from bottom tray (A4). Wants to pick up from top tray (smaller paper)

Peter Vandevenasked

I have lost the function on my computer to scan a document on my Canon MX926 printer, the option is simply not there any more, can you please help?

Life expectancy of these excellent devices is about 5 yrs. Update

Peter Vandeven

not the advice I was looking for.

Bruster
Bruster

I see some here are stretching the truth and/or hard to please. Or else they don't know how to treat printers properly.

This printer does leave things to be desired but overall it's not the rubbish some make it out be.
Firstly you cant compare it to the MP800 for quality. That printer was made 14 years ago (not 20 years as someone here said) My MP800 lasted over a decade because of it's quality. They don't make them like that anymore and the MX926 is certainly no exception.

I probably use printers more than most who only have them for personal use. I also periodically manually clean the print heads when possible. That could be done with the MP800 and other Canon models I owned but not with this MX926.

All the manufactures rip you off. They claim their ink is superior to the generic brands but I've used generic brands in every one I've had and I don't believe their claim. The idea is to buy a printer that uses cartridges that cost around $8 for a set of four or five. This is one. You buy them from eBay and that includes delivery. How can anyone complain about that?

Printer manufactures try other ways to screw you. One was by installing chips on their printers that have to match up with the chips on their cartridges. That didn't last long because the generic brand cartridges now have chips installed. Now they sell cheap printers where the cartridges cost are about the same as the printer's.

As for speed: I'm more than satisfied for a printer of this price.

With the noise it makes, that can be overcome by going to where you would normally go to have Cleaning, Deep Cleaning, Print Head Alignment etc for your printer and there should be one called Quiet Settings. Click that on and choose your options.

It is slow with starting but I don't turn mine off and I believe that helps. It's not detrimental to the printer to leave it turned on.

It could be that some print head problems are caused by not using the printer for months. Cartridges dry up and should taken out when the printer wont be used for long periods and stored with the nozzles up in a plastic container with a lid.

Get an answer from our members and Canon representatives